• Published 18th Jul 2012
  • 4,899 Views, 158 Comments

Race the Wind - Skyblitz



Soarin' has kept his feelings for Spitfire secret a long time. But when a new stallion comes to school, things literally spiral out of control.

  • ...
11
 158
 4,899

Chapter 2: Flame

Chapter 2: Flame


"You mess with him, you mess with me..."


Soarin' tensed his wings, raising them into ready position. Hurricane did the same, a coy smile still playing on his lips. It was then that Soarin' noticed how large they were. They were almost a full third larger than his - not a good thing. The blue pegasus began to sweat. He couldn't lose, not when Spitfire was watching. Why in Equestria Ms. Horsefeather's class were watching them race was beyond Soarin', but he knew he couldn't let himself down.

He turned his gaze to his orange maned friend. She smiled back at him and waved. All he could manage in return was a nervous half smile.



Coach Cyclone raised the whistle to his lips. Soarin' snapped his eyes back to the track, breathing deeply and calming his mind. Racing was what he was good at, what he was born to do. No worries.

"Hey Soarin'..."

He turned to Hurricane, barely concealing his annoyance. He jumped as the white pegasus thrust his hoof along the cloud that made up the track. A large puff of fluffy vapour met his eyes, making them water.

"Wha- you cheati-"

The whistle rang out across the stadium. Hurricane laughed and dashed away with a powerful wing beat, catapulting him straight into first place. Soarin' couldn't believe it. The other stallion had cheated...

The blue pegasus sped after the rest of the group, trailing in the mortifying position of last place.

But he was born to fly...born to race the wind.

And what better wind to race than a Hurricane?

With a moment of concentration that came only at flying record breaking speeds, Soarin' funnelled all of his energy into his beating wings, now flapping to the point where they almost became solid blurs. He overtook Blitz, then Comet Breeze, then West Wind... He focused on nothing else but the aggravating white figure of Hurricane ahead of him. He briefly saw an orange blur in the stands as he passed them and smiled.

He wondered what Spitty was thinking as she watched him. He was catching up fast on another pony and banked his wings hard as he veered around the curve of the oval shaped track. He overtook another three ponies in that single maneuver. He couldn't help but smile to himself.

Spitfire watched with intense fascination as the stallions raced around the stadium at astonishing speeds. Ms. Horsefeather's voice could be vaguely heard from the other end on the stands, but Spitfire was entirely focused on the race. Like Soarin', it seemed to be her calling.

"Soarin's catchin' up fast, like, REALLY fast. Did you see that? That last curve? He just overt- look! He did it again!" exclaimed Fleetfoot, almost bouncing in her seat.

"I know, but that Hurricane's still way out in front, look" she pointed a hoof at the blue and white blur that was Hurricane.

He was at least a full lap ahead of the pony in second place, causing all the mares around Spitfire to gasp and coo in delight. She turned her gaze to the other racers. Her eyes widened when she found Soarin'.

"Is-is that Soar? Damn, he's comin' up real quick, I mean REAL quick, like- WHOA" Fleetfoot gasped.

Spitfire just looked on in amazement as her best friend sped up past another three ponies in a single wingbeat, launching himself into second place. Spitfire bit her bottom lip in anticipation.

The air felt like fire around Soarin's wings. His feathers were virtually pinned down by the wind as he sped forwards with blinding fast flaps. He couldn't tell what lap they were on, but he guessed around ten or eleven. Plenty of time to beat that bucker Hurricane.

"C'mon, just a little bit more..." he whispered to himself. The streaming blue tail of Hurricane was inches away from his muzzle. Soarin' briefly thought of reaching forward and grabbing onto it like he had done to Spitty years before...

But thought better of it.

With a final burst of energy, the blue and white pegasi were neck and neck.

"Fastest here are you?"

Hurricane almost jumped as he turned to face Soarin', a tiny smile tugging at the corners of his mouth.

"Yeah, I am, and I'm much better at this than you are!" he retorted. As he did so, he veered straight into Soarin', almost knocking off straight off the track.

"You mule!" Soarin' pushed back, butting the white pegasus with equal force.

He was knocked again in return. The two stallions rammed into each other with burning determination, each trying just as hard to knock the other clean off the track.

It wasn't until Hurricane raised a forehoof and struck Soarin' square on the muzzle did things spiral out of control - literally.

"What the hay was that for?" Soarin' screamed as the numbing pain of the punch began to fade.

"Cuz..."

"Scared I'll beat you?"

"HA! C'mon then, come at me bro!" Hurricane taunted.

Soarin's patience finally snapped. Curving his wings, the pale blue colt smashed into the larger white one, raising both forehooves in the process. One struck Hurricane straight on his nose whilst the other was grasped by Hurricane's own raised hooves. The white pegasus' other hoof slammed into Soarin's lower jaw, tipping him on his back, but still flying furiously. Soarin' clung onto Hurricane's neck as he tipped, dragging the larger stallion down and forcing him to slow. Soarin' headbutted Hurricane hard, causing him to turned away and blink his watering eyes.

"Oh I'm sorry, did that hurt?" Soarin' asked cruelly. He had never acted like this to anypony bofore, but Hurricane was an exception. Never had Soarin' met a more overconfident, arrogant and cheating scumbag than the one he clung onto now.

Hurricane didn't respond, but bit his teeth down on Soarin's ear. The blue pegasus screamed in pain before kicking Hurricane in the stomach with his rear hoof. The white stallion grunted and flipped over, Soarin' ending up on top. Hurricane repeated the same kick on Soarin'...with a resounding crack.

Pain flooded through Soarin's body, making him feel dizzy and forcing his eyes to water. But the adrenaline forced him to stay conscious and return Hurricane's kick with a hard punch near his axillary wingpit feathers. He flinched as he felt Hurricane's forehoof grasp the base of one of his own beating wings.

"Gettin' tired, Soarin'?", the white pegasus twisted his hoof hard. The pain running through Soarin's wing was like fire running through his veins.

"Arrgh, you Goddess da-"

The force of the twist caused the blue pegasus to bank hard to his left, flipping Hurricane on top again. But Soarin' acted before his adversary could do anything, and kicked Hurricane's wingpit again, forcing him to bank the other way. The pair soon began to spiral over and over again, barrel-rolling in the air, all the while kicking and punching each other.


Spitfire stood up as she focused on the two combatting ponies. Her eyes widened with fear as she saw a vicious dark mark creeping across Soarin's ribcage.



"W-what's goin...wha-why?" was all Fleetfoot could manage next to her.



"Dammit, they're not stopping. They passed lap thirty five eight laps ago!" Spitfire exclaimed nervously.

Murmurs of shock and confusing rippled through the crowd both at the track and on the stands as both groups saw what was happening. Spitfire shook and head in disbelief...



"ALRIGHT, STOP THIS NOW!" thundered Coach Cyclone, his fury amplified by the round stadium. With a grumble, he took to the air when he saw that both colts didn't hear him.



Soarin' bucked Hurricane in the stomach as a large white hoof met his nose with considerable force.



"You buckin', coltcuddling, piece of horsesh-", Hurricane was cut off as a light grey missile hurled itself between himself and Soarin', splitting the two from each other with the force of a sledgehammer. Soarin' closed his eyes as the cloudy track met his muzzle hard. Pain rippled through his bruised body as he crash landed at the side of the race track, barely again to make out the equally battered white pegasus who slammed into the ground far to his right.



"What in Celestia's name was that? What in Equestria were you two doing?"

Cyclone shot gazes that could singe clouds at the two beaten and bloody ponies lying on the track before him.

"What in pony's sake possessed you two?". He didn't wait for an answer and turned to the rest of the baffled and silent class of stallions. "Get Nurse Cloudheart, now!"



Two pegasi fluttered away towards the main building of the school. Soarin' groaned painfully.


"S-Spitty? I-is that you?"

"Yeah... It’s me Soar."



The blue pegasus opened his eyes groggily. He was in a bed, surrounded by bare blue walls and a small window at looked out into a dully decorated corridor. He groaned again.



"What happened Soar? Why did you let this happen to you?"

He looked up at Spitfire's concerned face. By the reddy puffs around her glistening amber eyes, he could guess she'd been crying. He tried to sit up. The pain that flared in his lower torso forced him down again. It wasn't until then that Soarin' realised that he was covered in bandages. His left wing was fully wrapped in linen, as were his forelegs, left thigh, and right ear. A massive pad wrapped in softer yet firmer material was wrapped around his chest and abdomen.



"Urrgh, I feel like crap..." he moaned.



"I'm not surprised. Dammit Soar, what happened? Why did you have to go assaulting a stallion who’s clearly much stronger than you? It was a race, a friendly, non-competitive race during a sports class, not the Stalliongrad Derby! I mean, okay... He can be a bit of an ass sometimes, but so can you, so can everypony! Why did you have to go have some deathmatch with him, mid flight too?!" Spitfire asked hotly, leaning in close to her broken friend.



"Hey, I didn't start it! He buckin' cheated at the start line, threw cloud in my face. And when I finally catch up to him, he starts tryin' to push me off the Goddess-damn track!"



Spitfire turned away. It hurt Soarin' more than anything else.



"Y-you scared me..." she whispered.



"Spitty, I'm sorry. I'm really sorry, but he deserved it! You didn't see him at the tr-"



She left the cubicle room, giving him a tearful glance.



"Don't do anything like that ever again Soar...please...you're my best friend". The door closed behind her, leaving the battered stallion alone in the bare room.


Spitfire trotted quickly out of the medical centre of the Academy and started towards the stadium. She quickly found who she was looking for.



Hurricane, apart from a nasty bruise down the righthoof side of his face and a few minor scratches, was perfectly healthy. That angered the orange maned mare greatly. It wasn't fair that her best friend was still locked up in hospital whilst the bucker that almost killed him walked around bragging and smiling. It angered her even more that that was precisely what he was doing as she approached him.



"...So I kicked him in the ribs really hard afterwards. He cried like a little filly, like, straight away. It was buckin' hilarious, you guys should have seen his fa-", he stopped when he saw Spitfire marching towards him. "Well well, watcha doin' tonight beautiful, come to hear how I wasted that coltcuddler Soa-".



He was silenced by Spitfire's angry hoof, making agonising contact with the bruise from where Soarin' had headbutted him. The stallions around hurricane slowly backed away.



"Don't you dare, you piece of horseshit! Soarin' is my best friend and you have the nerve to come bragging about it to me..." She smacked him in the head again. "You repulse me..."



Hurricane glared at her with fiery indigo eyes.

"What the hay do I care, he's a lying piece of lowlife scum! He doesn't deserve somepony like you as his marefriend, he's a Goddess -damn coltcuddler anyway"



Spitfire could have sworn her eyes literally burned with raging fire.

"He is not a coltcuddler, and he is not my coltfriend. And from what I hear, you're the piece of lowlife scum."



The white stallion's brow furrowed as his own anger began to boil over. He locked gazes with the fiery maned mare and drew his head in closer.



"He doesn't deserve you...he's a weak, lonely turd with no friends apart from you, a mare, fighting his battles for him" Spitfire didn't flinch.



"You ever touch him again, I swear I'll kill you..." she muttered back.

To her surprise, Hurricane laughed.



"I like this one boys, she's a real feisty mare. And she's cute...", he leaned in only so Spitfire could hear him, "...and I'll bet she'll look even cuter in my bed".

Spitfire slapped him across the bruise again. Hurricane winced, but grudgingly smiled.

"Oh I love a challenge..."



"You want a challenge? Meet me in Cloudsdale at sunset near the Rainbow Factory. At the Spectrum Causeway..."



Hurricane raised an eyebrow, "Oh, why?"



"We're gonna race..."