• Published 9th Mar 2017
  • 13,454 Views, 1,468 Comments

My Secret Daughter - deadpansnarker



Starlight Glimmer's friends all find out she has became a mother long before any of them met her. But what'll happen when they make the discovery the long-lost filly isn't so 'lost' after all? What'll happens if... she just lives around the corner?

  • ...
55
 1,468
 13,454

Chapter 8 Part 2: The Custody Begins

Diamond Tiara had always wanted to visit the Friendship Castle. She'd already been inside Princess Twilight's previous treehouse home and was not impressed at all, despite her expertly faked enthusiasm on the day, and was eager to see what the alicorn's new upgraded digs were like.

The thought of touring such a prestigious building really appealed to her sense of glamour and celebrity, alas without any official business there she dared not venture anywhere near the crystalline structure, and despite bountiful nagging sessions to mean ol' Miss Cheerilee, her teacher refused to organise a class trip there as "The Princess Is Always Busy".

Now as it turned out, she was actually going to be living there for an extended period, thirty-one days or thereabouts. Just that very morning, she would've been absolutely cock-a-hoop at the mere notion of spending a surprise holiday at such a distinguished, luxurious address, which even eclipsed her own humungous mansion for sheer size.

So many beds to bounce on, such an abundance of bannisters to slide down, so many rooms to explore... and if Daddy could take a break from his heavy workload to accompany her and Spoiled would do the decent thing for once by staying far, far away, this vacation might start verging on perfection itself.

Alas, circumstances being what they were, Diamond wasn't particularly looking forward to being the 'guest of honour' at the royal citadel at all. Especially as she'd be spending most of her time with somepony who she regarded, up until now, as a certifiable nutcase.

Still, she was a Rich, and Rich's 'just ain't quitters at all', as her real father would say. She was Diamond by name, and Diamond by nature: hard on the inside, and impenetrable on the outside. She'd lick this little obstacle no sweat, then it would be just her and Daddy all alone forever more, and she'd never have to see Spoiled Milk ever again when the repulsive mare took her long awaited one-way ticket back to Fillydelphia. She'd be at the train station to see Spoiled off of course, but the mood would be one of celebration, not misery.

Even with all the awkward stuff her dreadful stepmother had sneaked onto that darn contract, the confident filly was positive she could cope with whatever setbacks life might throw at her in the next few weeks. The gratifying sight of Spoiled, looking all depressed and forlorn as the locomotive ground to a halt, knowing that her way of life was coming to an end and it was a return to milking cows and making cottage cheese for a living for her, was worth the price of admission alone.

All Diamond had to do was grit her teeth and survive the unwanted administrations of her obsessed birth mother for a short period of time, then she was home free (in more ways than one). Speaking of which...



.....................................................




"Are you comfortable up there, darling? Is there anything I can do for you?"

"...Yes, Ms Glimmer. No, Ms Glimmer."

"Pardon me? I think somepony forgot to call me by my proper name. So, let's try that again... shall we, dear?"

"... I'm fine, 'Mom'."

"Now, that's much better. I understand it might take a while to get used to thinking me as your new mother, which is why we should try to practice these things early on. I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to having you around! I mean, as much as I adore your Uncle Spike and Auntie Twilight, they do spend lots of time together and sometimes I feel a bit left out. Now that I have my own daughter back though, I'm sure the pair of us will never feel alone ever again! I've got so much to tell you, teach you, show you... oh, I simply have to introduce you to Trixie! She's not going to believe it when I tell her..."

"Can't we just talk about all this later, please? In case you hadn't noticed, 'Auntie' and 'Uncle' are already well out of sight on the path in front of us. Also, don't forget... this is only for the next month, and as soon as that's over I'll be back to living at Rich Mansion. Whether we stay in contact after that, I just don't know."

"Y-Yes, of course, darling. That decision will be entirely up to you, and by the end of it I hope to prove that I can be the parental figure that you truly deserve, after all the suffering you must've gone through. Fancy me leaving you all alone with that monster and her never-there husband for the best part of a decade! What on Equestria was I thinking?! Time for a fresh start for both of us, I say. I realise it'll be tough at first, but I firmly believe with all my heart, that if you give me a chance..."

"I appreciate all the effort you're making so that I feel special 'Mom', but right now I have to admit, you're making me just a little uncomfortable. We've barely met after all, and the first thing you did was drag me along with magic, so it's a little premature to assume..."

"You're right, you're absolutely right. Maybe I am rushing things a tad. It's just that I've been waiting for this day for such a long time, so you'll have to forgive me for going a little overboard! I'll quieten down a bit, but you can't expect me to stem the flow of happiness which is running through me now! One day, when you have fillies or colts of your own, I hope you understand what I mean."

"While I'm glad you're pleased with seeing me for the first time in years after you left me behind 'Mom', and I honestly want us to have some kind of a relationship, it's going to take a while for me to adjust to having you around, so let's take it easy for now, shall we? In the meantime, we better get a move on. It'll soon be pitch black, and Luna isn't going to wait for us 'til she raises the Moon, you know..."

"... And I've just remembered: Twilight locks the castle up after a certain hour, and I don't want to be stuck outside in the rain again! You think she'd make an exception for her personal student, but you'd be sorely mistaken. Hold on tight to my mane darling, I'm about to cast a spell which should give us a little burst of speed..."

"W-Wait. I'm not saying you're incapable of that feat 'Mom', because word around town is that you're quite the magician. But don't you think that's just a little drastic, considering we're only about a mile from..."

"No time for hesitation, dear! One thing you'll quickly learn about me is when I make a decision, I stick to it. Well, apart from the choices I made to remove everypony's cutie marks and wipe Auntie Twilight's friendships from existence, but maybe it was for the best that I didn't follow through with those. This is the incantation's maiden voyage too, I'm so excited! I've been waiting for just the right occasion to try it out, and I can think of no better moment than with my own flesh and blood here to witness it firsthoof! Brace yourself..."

"W-What?! E-Er, actually I've just noticed, it's quite a nice evening. I-I think I'll just climb off your back now and walk the rest of the way, if it's all the same to you. No offens..." WHOOSH!

Spike and Twilight, having said goodnight to their other friends and having a genial conversation about something or other a thousand yards on the road ahead, suddenly found themselves bowled over like tenpins as a pinkish blur suddenly careened past them at a pace almost worthy of a double Rainboom.

Standing up to dust themselves off after the breakneck phenomenon had passed, they were in doubt as to the identity of the culprit... and for a change, it wasn't Dash being reckless as usual.

"You'd think after hypnotising all of her friends into submission, swapping Luna and Celestia's cutie marks over and almost causing armageddon, Starlight would be a little more careful with her magic..." Spike frowned in annoyance, making sure the precious parchment he carried with the princess's weekly itinerary on it wasn't ripped or smudged as a result of his unforeseen stumble. "Still, at least Diamond now has a taste of what to expect from the next few weeks. This ought to be interesting..."

"Now Spike, you shouldn't treat the period Miss Tiara will be staying with us like some kind of intriguing diversion. They're both going to need supervision in their interaction, especially early on, and this important task can't be treated with casual disregard. " Twilight gently chastised her favourite dragon, as she observed Starlight's accelerated form rush off with a screaming filly on top clinging on for dear life. "When I'm not around to oversee things between the two, it'll be up to you alone to steady the ship. Can I rely on you to help me out, once more? I know it's a lot to ask, especially as it may cut into your free time. If it's too much of a problem, just say the word..."

"H-Hey. Look at who you're talking to, the guy who saved an entire Empire from destruction and successfully helped negotiate long-lasting peace between ponykind and Changelings." Spike grinned nervously, sounding a lot more confident than he actually felt when it came to dealing with troublesome family reunions. If it was up to him, he'd jettison this 'ship' at the earliest possible opportunity... but he couldn't let Twilight or his new friend Starlight down. "It'll be a piece of jewel cake, you just wait and see. You know you can always count on good ol' Spike..."

"Oh, thank you so much! What did I ever do to deserve such a humble, selfless dragon?" Twilight beamed from ear to ear, and wrapped Spike up affectionately in her wings, giving him a warm hug. "I know Starlight would welcome an extra pair of claws around the place, too. I also have some books on filly-rearing in the depths of the library, that I never thought I'd get the chance to use. Do you fancy having a quick look at them on our return, so you know what you're 'up against'?"

"S-Sure Twi, if you think it'll help..." Even after all these years, it took but a simple pleading look from his best friend to get him to cave in, and he snuggled against her feathers blissfully. "...But I was thinking more in terms of how Starlight is going to handle all of this. I mean, you've already seen how intense she can be when she gets really excited, and with all of these new rules she can use..."

"Hmm, yes it is rather odd that Spoiled Rich would suddenly allow Starlight to have so much freedom with Diamond..." Twilight mused, her wide smile fading rapidly upon hearing the dragon reference the small print at the end of the now official contract. "I can't even begin to imagine why she'd not only allow Starlight to take her 'daughter' away, but give her all this extra leeway to hoof in terms of what she can do. I'm sure there's got to be a hidden catch somewhere, Spoiled wouldn't just give up on her 'prize possession' without a fight. You and I will have to stay extra vigilant until we figure out..."

Twilight's protracted brooding was interrupted unexpectedly by a loud snore, and she glanced down to see Spike fast asleep in the midst of her plumage, breathing peacefully while little smoke rings rose arbitrarily from his nostrils. The long day at both the spa followed by the trip to Rich Mansion had taken much out of the baby dragon, with the lengthy stroll back to the castle the final straw regarding his ability to keep himself tethered to the waking world.

Upon seeing this, Twilight shook her head with a knowing smirk, before carefully positioning the snoozing reptile onto her neck for the rest of the short journey home. "I keep forgetting you're still a child yourself, too..." The alicorn mused, as she proceeded at a noticeably slower rate than her super-quick unicorn protege. "With all that you've achieved in your short life so far, no wonder. We'll talk more about this in the morning, right now I need my number one assistant to be up bright and breezy in the morning, so it's straight to bed with you once we get inside. Pleasant dreams, Spike."

And with that final remark, the alicorn set off for her castle without further delay... where she was about to encounter a very finicky Starlight needing to use the bathroom something awful, while an agitated Diamond Tiara rolled her eyes in exasperation nearby. The flustered unicorn might not be locked outside that night, but she was beginning to wish she'd at least asked for a spare key at some point since her arrival in Ponyville.

Not only would it make her feel like she'd truly earned her mentor's full trust, it might also prevent any 'accidents' when she needed to empty her bladder desperately in the future. After all, it's not like she could go anywhere on the ground.

For goodness sake, what was she... an animal?!



................................................


You'd expect Spoiled, having witnessed the temporary departure of her number one project for fame and recognition, to be at least mildly upset, but you couldn't have been more wrong.

In fact, she almost seemed in a jovial mood, as she sipped straight from a bottle of Filthy's 'strictly out of bounds' favourite white wine, while mumbling incoherently to herself: "Fools... they can't see the bigger pictures... threaten me in my own home would they... trying to take what's mine... I'll show 'em! I'll show them all!" HICCUP!

After Diamond's tearful farewell with her father, which resulted in the devastated stallion galloping upstairs as soon as she departed, Spoiled was quite put out when the most emotion she received from the exiting filly was a slight growl and a pair of narrowed blue eyes, before the youngster left with her head held high, not looking back even once.

That ungrateful little... after everything I did for her! Spoiled snorted drunkenly, while swilling down the last of the fortified liquid. Still, I can't completely blame My Diamond for her unforgivable conduct of late. It's those three little runts who turned her against me, along with their interfering sisters! Now, with the reappearance of that damned unicorn, things just keep getting more and more complicated. Even my own marriage may be at stake! Well, not if I have anything to say in the matter! Time to call in an old favour..."

And with that final cryptic thought, Spoiled proceeded to smash the empty glass bottle into the middle of the roaring fireplace, while staggering over to a nearby writing desk to grab a piece of paper and a quill. Having dipped the latter in a pot of ink, she then proceeded to begin writing a letter to a certain someone in her best cursive... well, as good as one can scrawl when they're half-inebriated, anyway.

.................................................................

Dear...

How are you? How is your family? Now that the mindless chit-chat is out of the way, let's get down to business. You may not even remember me, but as sure as heck I remember you! I see, I'm Filthy Rich's wife, and I have a bit of a problem...

Author's Note:

"Deadpansnarker ain't one for quitting'. :rainbowdetermined2: