• Published 9th Mar 2017
  • 13,424 Views, 1,468 Comments

My Secret Daughter - deadpansnarker



Starlight Glimmer's friends all find out she has became a mother long before any of them met her. But what'll happen when they make the discovery the long-lost filly isn't so 'lost' after all? What'll happens if... she just lives around the corner?

  • ...
55
 1,468
 13,424

Chapter 12 Part 2: Separate Lives

Following mother and daughter now… unless you don’t want me to call them that… they’ve just left a now packed Sugarcube Corner… heading in the direction of the Castle Of Friendship. They seem in good spirits at the moment… and if I may say so, a whole lot chubbier...I’ll continue keeping you posted...

A strange mare wearing a black jacket and shades talking into a recorder tailed the pair of unsuspecting ponies, trying to remain as inconspicuous as possible while doing so. Hiding behind a hedge… sheltering under an awning… even partially burying herself underground, you could tell this was a true professional surveillance op at work.

...That is, until she went out of her way to produce a sparkling pin and popped the balloon of an innocent colt she passed en route, before carrying on as if nothing untoward had happened.

Now, that was just cold. Like, deepest Yakyakistan-worthy.

………………………..

Blissfully unaware of the expert espionage going on right behind them, Diamond Tiara and Starlight Glimmer continued to exchange idle small-talk on their return journey home.

Though they still had a ways to go before either could honestly say there were any concrete foundations for a solid relationship, at the very least both could agree they’d begun to understand each other.

After all, both came from troubled backgrounds, had at least one somewhat overbearing parent (although, Firelight’s occasional coddling of his daughter was arguably minor compared to Spoiled’s tyrannical demands) and reformed after going through turbulent periods where they were less-than model citizens.

“...So anyway, I was thinking. Before my world was turned upside by discovering my one and only daughter was living under my muzzle the entire time I was in Ponyville, I was going to spend the day with Trixie.” Starlight informed the pink filly, as they approached the doors to the castle. “I’m not sure if you’ve ever met her, but she’s the first friend I made since moving here and I’d love to introduce you! Fancy tagging along for the ride?”

“Hmm. Isn’t she like, that self-proclaimed ‘Great and Powerful’ showmare who talks funny and does all those tricks that never go the way she wants them to? She did a show at the schoolhouse once for somepony’s birthday. I’ll be polite, and not tell you how it went.” Diamond grimaced slightly, remembering she was one of many youngsters who went hungry that day after turning their nutritious lunches into makeshift projectiles. “As much as I’d like to meet her properly, I better go and tell my friends everything that’s been happening of late. If you don’t mind, that is.”

“O-Oh, of course not. It’s fine.” Starlight tried to put a brave face on the refusal, but in reality she felt somewhat crushed. Her daughter had a social life outside of her, and she’d just have to learn to accept it. “Maybe you can bring them around to meet me at some point. I promise to be on my best behaviour, and I’ll even make my world-famous teacakes for the occasion! How does that sound?”

“G-Great.” Diamond commented unenthusiastically, and for a second the pair stood awkwardly together at the entrance to the castle. “Listen, I’m gonna shoot off now. Tell Twilight and Spike who I’m with, please. I’ll skip lunch and be back for dinner, on account of everything we just ate. But thanks Starlight, it’s been fun! We’ll definitely spend more time together, just not right now okay? Well… be seeing ya.”

Starlight barely had chance to mumble “Alright…” before Diamond took her leave, making a beeline straight for the treehouse where she knew her pals would be waiting. She had a lot to tell them, and she wasn’t quite sure if they’d believe her.

At least with Spoiled no longer being in control of her every move, strict curfews should be a thing of the past. After all, Starlight wanted to ‘play nice’ to keep her affections firmly on side, and so would probably accommodate any request she put to the anxious unicorn.

Quite a sneaky ploy, that was true. Never let it be said though, a Rich doesn’t know a good opportunity when they see it.

………………………….

In the meantime, a thoughtful Starlight made her way into the castle alone, where Twilight had been pacing up and down the hallway apprehensively awaiting her return. When she saw the unaccompanied unicorn stroll in, her worst fears were apparently confirmed, and she trotted over to her student wearing a noticeably disappointed expression.

“Oh Starlight, what have you said to her? Don’t tell me she’s run off already, and you’ve forfeited the contract?” Twilight was just warming up one of her infamously long lectures, and it promised to be a doozie. ”See where pushing that ‘Sparkling Glimmer’ nonsense got you? I’d be very surprised now if she ever…”

“Relax, Twi. Me and Diamond had a long talk and straightened a few things out. I’m going to respect her wishes to be called what she wants to from now on, and give her time and space to get used to me being around more. After all, as the old saying goes ‘Our Town wasn’t built in a day’.” Starlight told the aggravated alicorn about the small foal-steps she and her daughter had made, just before Twilight really got into her stride. “She’s just gone off to see her friends, that’s all. Isn’t that what fillies her age do on the weekend?”

“E-Er, I suppose so.” Twilight calmed down immediately, a distant flashback popping into her head of a much younger unicorn pulling the curtains shut in her bedroom to study on a glorious summer’s day. “Anyway, after your big scene in the dining room earlier I must say I am amazed at your sudden change of heart. Amazed, and delighted! I think Spike will be pleased too, but I told him he can’t come downstairs ‘til he’s cleaned under his bed. There are so many comics under it now, it’s as if it’s levitating off the ground…”

“I should apologise later for shouting at him, and I’m very sorry to you too.” Starlight bowed her head to show she meant it. “You were just trying to stop me from rushing things too fast, not being the interfering nag I took you for at first. I hope I can count on your help in the future to stop making any more stupid decisions. Who knew this ‘motherhood’ thing was such hard work?”

“Indeed. That’s why I don’t have any plans right now to start a family. As long as I have my books and friends around me, what more could I ask for? Plus, taking care of Spike is a full time job by itself…” Twilight joked, and a muffled I heard that! could be heard coming from somewhere on the second floor. “So anyway, now that Diamond is away, do you have any other plans for the day? You can help me Spring-clean around the library, if you like.”

“Hmm, tempting offer. But I’m going to meet Trix, to fill her in on all the comings and goings here lately. If she finds out from anypony else, she’s only going to be sour… and you know how that temper of hers can be!” Starlight began climbing the stairs to get to her room, for that was where her purse was located. “It’s my turn to pay for the spa, too. Not everything can be free like the feast me and Diamond had at Sugarcube Corner this morning, sadly.”

Sugarcube Corner? Free feast? Wait… Twilight, ever the quick-witted one, instantaneously recalled a conversation she’d had with Pinkie the other night just before her friends left Rich Mansion. Does that mean her hare-brained scheme of a complimentary meal for fillies and their mothers actually worked in bringing Diamond and Starlight together? Once again I’ve underestimated her. And I lost the bet. Oh well, it was worth it.

As per the terms of the agreement, Twilight immediately made plans to don a red nose and goofy glasses for the entirety of the next Council Of Friendship meeting, not knowing she had much bigger things to worry about.

Namely, an unseen presence lurking at the window taking pictures, before stealthily sneaking away.

Author's Note:

Bet you'd never see this fic updated again, didya? :raritywink:

Well, on the occasion of my 700th follower (yay) now that I've reread all 18 parts (phew) I now feel like I'm in a position to proceed with this story, nearly two years later. :twilightoops:

Here's to a fruitful continuation, and a satisfying conclusion. Looking forward to hearing from you... :scootangel: