• Published 9th Mar 2017
  • 13,414 Views, 1,468 Comments

My Secret Daughter - deadpansnarker



Starlight Glimmer's friends all find out she has became a mother long before any of them met her. But what'll happen when they make the discovery the long-lost filly isn't so 'lost' after all? What'll happens if... she just lives around the corner?

  • ...
55
 1,468
 13,414

Chapter 5 Part 1: A Talk Between Friends

"Starlight, just what did you think you were playing at?! You should have let me try and straighten things out first before sticking your muzzle in. I told you this before we came down here today. Now, you've possibly made a difficult situation even harder to unravel..."

"Twilight, I really appreciate everything you're doing for me right now. I could never have found Spoiled Rich without your help and have the courage to confront her in her own mansion, but try and see things from my point of view. The daughter that I lost all those years ago has been in the hooves of a deceitful monster ever since then, and I won't rest until I rectify my mistake."

"You didn't lose her, Starlight. You gave her up... there is quite a large difference, you know. Even if the 'adoption' was never made official, these two have been Diamond Tiara's parents for the last ten years or so, and we have to respect that. You can't just expect to pick up where you left off, after spending so long away. It's not like she even recognises you, either. Besides, what experience have you ever had at being a parent?"

"W-Well, n-none Twilight, but you know that already. That's why I came up with this great plan that could work for everypony! She can come and live in the castle with us, and in the same way you've taught me all about friendship, I can set about righting all the wrongs that have been done to her since I los... I mean, 'gave her up'. I won't let her stay a second longer in a clearly unsuitable environment where the 'father' is barely here, and I think we've both formed the same opinion about the so-called 'mother'..."

After Starlight's surprise proclamation that she'd be departing with her birth daughter that very day, she'd soon been marched outside by a very red-faced Twilight, leaving the two Rich's to overcome their shock in peace with the other members of the entourage. Applejack had been trying to speak softly into Filthy Rich's ear to rouse him out of his stupor, so far to no good effect. A cataclysmic bankruptcy of Barnyand Barnyards would probably have had less of a visible impact on the ailing stallion, who's only slight movement came from a small sliver of drool which now dangled freely from his frozen jaw.

As for the main instigator behind this tumult otherwise known as Spoiled Rich, the malicious glares she received from Rainbow Dash in particular and the general feeling of contempt which emanated from the others present were enough to help her conclude that perhaps it was best to keep quiet for now. There would be plenty of time for talking later on when she'd had ample opportunity to consult her lawyer, and put an end to this ridiculous farrago once and for all. They're not leaving with My Diamond. Over my dead body.

In the meantime, the alicorn and her student had managed to secure an empty room nearby (not difficult: there must've been near a hundred spare in this oversized mansion) to discuss the ongoing situation in relative privacy. Right now, Twilight was pacing up and down shaking her head an awful lot, as a resilient Starlight continued to defend her decision with gusto, refusing to back down an inch.

"Y-Yes, I think we can both agree that Mrs Rich is a little... unconventional in her approach to foal-rearing..." Twilight had learned well the language of diplomacy during her brief tenure as a princess. "... and it's also true that Filthy could've been around a lot more to stop some of her worst influences from taking shape. But what you are proposing: I have royal duties all over Equestria every single week, and Spike has his own chores to do. This'll leave you alone with Diamond for long periods of the day, and you'll have to deal with her every need. How do you expect to be able to meet her essential requirements? I mean, I know you don't like me to bring this up, but it wasn't so long ago you were living in a dark cave all by yourself, plotting mine and our friends' destruction..."

Starlight seethed slightly at the unwelcome dragging up of the unicorn's troubled past, but deep in her heart she knew her mentor had a point. "Don't you think I know that?!" she said defiantly, but with an edge of sadness. "That's why it's even more important I regain custody of her at this crucial stage of her development, so she won't fall into the same twin pitfalls I did as a filly, of bitterness and self-annihilation. I really think we can help each other, Twilight... the responsibility of looking after a little one will give me the added impetus I need to take my reformation to the next level, and in return I can provide her with the love and support she'll require to stop her from becoming... well, another me. When the time is right, I might even introduce her to her real father back at 'Our Town', or whatever they're calling it now."

"Whoa! Let's step back for a minute!" Twilight couldn't help but think things were moving forward a little too fast, and it was time to apply the brakes a tad. "I'll admit... you've been making wonderful progress in your Friendship Lessons, and your heart is clearly in the right place. But although Diamond might have been taken from you under false pretenses, you have to ask yourself: Would she have been better or worse off to stay with you back then even after everything she's been taught, when your only goal was to rule over an entire village with manipulative megalomania? Also, even though you are my valued student, and you did just help save the world from the Changeling menace, I have to be fair to the Rich's in my final judgement. Plus, we haven't even heard Diamond's feelings on the matter yet. In other words, this isn't something that'll be resolved overnight."

Starlight stopped pondering so seriously for a moment, to stare at her teacher in disbelief. "W-Wait, you mean... you get to decide where my daughter lives?! I thought you were just the Princess of Friendship. I didn't realise you held that much power."

Twilight simply shrugged her shoulders, before saying matter-of-factly: "Until this matter reaches a higher court, say in front of Celestia herself, that's the way I interpret it. Such incidences like this are exceedingly rare, so I'll have to research the exact protocol. My official title might have 'Friendship' in front of it, but when I had the honour of this role bestowed upon me, I was also given the dual duty of dealing with all problems Ponyville-related, big and small. After all, Cadence might be the 'Princess Of Love', but I don't see her role limited to helping others find romance and contentment in the Crystal Empire. In any case, you can curb your excitement if you think this means you hold any sway in my ultimate decision. Part of having such an important task is possessing the ability to be completely neutral and impartial in all aspects of the job, so don't expect any special favours. What I do next will be entirely in the interests of the child, full stop. Sorry if that disappoints you, but rules are rules."

On the verge of throwing a mini-celebration in her head at the thought of the 'judge' in the case being such a good friend, Twilight's firm rebuttal to the potential advantages posed by that notion poured cold water on Starlight's metaphysical party almost immediately. She began murmuring with annoyance under her breath, and her language wasn't exactly pleasant. Soon enough she found her head gently lifted up by a concerned Twilight, who had something very imperative to ask.

"Now, I want you to think about this very carefully... a lot more carefully than your flippant assessment inside the lounge earlier. What you decide to do now will have an impact not just on your life, but on everypony around who cares about you, and especially on the young one that you may find yourself looking after soon. Let me ask you one more time... are you absolutely one hundred per cent positive this is what you want? Would you like to go home and think about it for a while, before you make your mind up? Nopony would blame you for that considering the rapid chain of events today, which even the most level-headed of ponies would have difficulty getting their head around."

A very slight scintilla of unease did enter Starlight's previously adamantine brain at this point, as a few of the more pertinent questions she'd managed to suppress until now began to float to the surface. Am I really equipped to do this? What'll happen if I mess up? Do I really deserve a second chance with such a precious filly?

But then, another thought came into her head, a much more disturbingly graphic one. It involved a despotic Spoiled Rich laughing manically as her slave/daughter ordered legions of innocent ponies around to do her bidding, with all of Equestria under siege from the duo's tyranny. The populace were plain powerless to resist the pink filly's cutie mark, as they were herded into disparate groups and forced into work farms, all for the sake of their conquerors' greed, naturally. Because of Starlight's selfish hesitation, because she didn't do the right thing when she had the chance, Spoiled now ruled with an iron hoof. This worldwide devastation was all her fault, nopony else's. She might have stopped the destruction of everything via time travel, but in reality she was just postponing a future tragedy which some might say was even worse...

"I can't let that happen! I won't let that happen!" Starlight suddenly broke out of her perhaps somewhat over-exaggerated daydream, thrusting up one firm hoof in her resolution and almost causing the nearby Twilight to fall back in surprise.

"U-Um... are you feeling alright, Starlight?" the alicorn blinked herself back up to her stationery position, all while wearing a slightly worried expression on her face. "If the pressure is getting to you, we don't have to discuss this now..."

"On the contrary, my head hasn't been this clear for ages, Twilight!" the unicorn now seemed utterly unmoved in her stance, any remaining traces of lingering doubt long since dispersed. "The future of the world depends on it! I-I mean, I'm sure I can give my filly a good home, an excellent upbringing and most of all, get her to use her formidable powers the right way. Do you know who taught me to do that?"

A slight blush entered Twilight's cheeks upon hearing her student's heartfelt praise, but she did her best to maintain a stoic pose. "W-Well if you're absolutely committed to this course of action, then there's only two things left to do. First. we'll inform the parents that you're not going to change your mind..."

"Definitely not." Starlight nodded to indicate she fully understood.

"Then... well, I think you know what the next item on the agenda is." Twilight went to glance down mournfully at the ground, reflecting on how tough she expected the subsequent activity would be.

Starlight too, even in the midst of her inner strength reaching peak levels, felt a pang of sympathy for the little one she'd left behind all those years ago.

They'll be no easy way to do this, but it has to be done. We're about to rip a filly's world apart. I only hope I can put it back together again.

Author's Note:

Because this next chapter is going to be so long, I'd divided it into two parts. The fireworks will arrive in the following installment, guaranteed. Think of this as just a breather for the main event. In the meantime, get ready... :raritywink: