• Published 26th Nov 2011
  • 1,786 Views, 10 Comments

Equestria Is Not Enough - Canon Fodder



Twilight, AJ, and Dash must go against all odd's to defeat their most dangerous enemy yet.

  • ...
3
 10
 1,786

Chapter 28: Living Is The Way We'll Die

Chapter 28 Living Is The Way We'll Die

As Nova steered his deteriorating ship, he cackled over the thought of the widespread destruction he predicted to engulf Ponyville and Canterlot City whole. But what really made him laugh, was knowing that Twilight and her friends would be vaporized. Then suddenly his eyes began to focus in on a multi-colored figure veering towards the ship. The spectrum dot was Rainbow Dash, zeroing in. The grin disappeared immediately from the sinister stallion as he pushed the ship even faster. Rainbow closed in and spun around, using the still active explosive as a wrecking ball against the control room wind-shield. It shattered through and Nova ducked out of surprise. But Dash flew through the opening and kicked Nova against the wall which he could not avoid, "Alright Nova. You and me...This is it!"

Sparks picked himself up and scoffed at her, "Your too late Rainbow Dash...Don't you ever give up? There's nothing you can do. This ship is filled with explosives...In a matter of minutes my plans will succeed. As you can see, I've locked the controls. The ship cannot be stopped. It will crash into your town, consuming everything and everypony in a cataclysmic explosion that will surely eradicate the majority of Canterlot City, and vaporize Ponyville. Thousands will perish, and I'll be out of here, in an escape vessel destined for the outskirts of New Buck City."

Nova laughed deviously as he grabbed the fire hatchet that lay in the broken glass case on the wall. Then he peered up at a clock on the wall and looked back with a cocky smirk, "Five minutes...Five minutes is all I have to play with you. Before I go out with a bang, I'll have your head. Let's finish this shall we?"

Rainbow raised a slight grin then lunged forward with a high-flying kick but it was swiftly dodged by Nova who then swung the axe at her. To his disappointment, he missed her body but caught her tail against the wall and chopped most of it off. He tried to take the axe out of the wall, then looked at her. Before he could react, she already came back at him with a furious roundhouse kick, "For Berry Punch!" she shouted angrily.

He fell to the floor then tripped her up by kicking the back of her hooves and Dash fell on top of him. She went to use her wings until Nova reached around one side of Rainbow, took his two front hooves and broke her right wing. She cried out in pain which distracted her long enough for Sparks to get the opportunity to get up and extract the axe from the wall. Smoke was all around the room and much of the ships functions were malfunctioned, causing electrical sparks to fly from the controls and provoke other fires on deck. But despite the visibility issues, he trotted back over psychotically and prepared to slam the axe down on the injured pony with a crazed grin. But then with quick thinking, she coiled back her leg and kicked him in the shin. Nova dropped the axe and clinched onto his leg. Then the weapon landed, inches within Rainbow's head. She stared at it momentarily and skipped a heart beat, then got up and charged at Nova with a headbutt, "For the Mayor!"

He sprang back against the wall, shaking his head frantically. Dash proceeded quickly to activate the bomb but Nova took notice immediately and tackled her down before she could find an activator. Sparks forced himself on top of her, "I won't let you ruin this for me now you resilient little twit!"

Rainbow struggled and groaned, "I'll...Never...Let you win!...FOR EQUESTRIA!"

She got leverage and used her bottom hooves to monkey flip Nova off of her, making him crash into the ship controls, accidently activating an override button, speeding up the doomed ship. Both of them fell over again as they felt the ships pace increase rapidly.

-----

Meanwhile down below, just outside Ponyville, Twilight and the others organized an immediate evacuation and directed everypony in town to follow Aspen and the other dogs into the Everfree Forest while the Wonderbolts scaled the entire town for more refugees, "Come on everypony! Follow that line! GO, GO, GO!" Spitfire commanded.

Then suddenly there was another groaning from the airship, scaring everypony into further anarchy. Pinkie looked up and realized it had sped up and screamed, "It's speeding up! It's coming!"

Her outburst provoked Twilight's single-file, organized line to switched into a rushing surge of Ponyville citizens who fled as fast as they could into the depths of the forest, "Pinkie!" Twilight scolded.

"Oops...Sorry." She frowned.

"Ya think Rainbow's ok up there?" Asked a worried Applejack.

Twilight stared up at it for a moment, then nodded with a encouraging smile, "I'm sure of it. Rainbow's not the one to give up so easily."

They heard a voice call from the sky. It was Soarin, "Twilight Sparkle, that's everypony we could find. The towns clean."

"Great! Did you tell Aspen to radio Canterlot to warn them?" She shouted back.

"Done and done!" Soarin saluted.

Twilight pointed to the Everfree Forest, "Alright, you guys help the ponies along. We'll stand by and wait."

"Got it!" the Wonderbolts all hollered as they flew into the woods, leaving a trail of smoke behind them.

At last Twilight Sparkle, Applejack, Rarity, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie and Spike huddled in at the edge of the Everfree Forest and waited, then prayed the best for Rainbow Dash. Cheering her on in spirit. There was not a dry eye in attendance as they watched the ship begin to crumble away, they now realized that this chapter of their lives was going to end no matter what...In tragedy, or triumph.

-----

Back aboard the ship, Nova was still stunned, and Rainbow looked all over the bomb for some way to activate a timer. But time ran out as Sparks got to his hooves and charged at Dash, knocking her against the wall then giving him an open chance to lift the explosive and toss it out the shattered window. Rainbow prevented him once again by jabbing him across his head and ultimately knocking off his already cracked glasses in the process, which finally shattered on the ground. Nova felt around the ground and found the frames, "You damn filly! Die already!"

Suddenly part of the ceiling gave away above Rainbow and landed on top of her, breaking her other wing beneath the weight. She moaned over her injured wings as she was trapped underneath the collapsed ceiling. Nova wielded the axe again on the other side of the room and approached her, intending to behead the Pegasus with a deviant look on his face, "I owe you an unpleasant death, Miss Dash."

With literally moments to spare, when Nova raised the axe up, Rainbow quickly grabbed a large shard of glass from the fallen debris and shanked Nova in the ankles, "...And this one's for Big Macintosh!"

He buckled again and screamed bitter pain, tending to his legs once more. This gave Rainbow enough time to push some of the rubble off her to get up. She crawled from it and made her way to the bomb a third time. Shrouded in smoke and fire, she found it hard to look it over and noticed the ship was now only minutes away from passing the fields of Sweet Apple Acres. Nova wiped the blood from his hooves and picked up the hatchet with his teeth. Rainbow was too focused on the warhead and didn't notice when Sparks snuck up from behind her. He took the axe from his mouth, into his hooves and smiled shrewdly. Then swiftly brought the hilt of the weapon around as fast as he could and pulled it back hard to choke her, "I finally got you! You bloody tramp!"

Rainbow urged and attempted to push the axe away from her neck but Nova was too strong. With only one choice, she backed up into the wall, hoping he'd let go. She kept thrusting against the wall harder and harder but it was no use. The more she restrained, the more tighter he'd grip. Dash soon felt herself fading away, strength weakening, "I can't do it...He's too strong...I'm finished."

Nova Sparks cackled victoriously...and Rainbow thought about Ponyville's catastrophic fate, the disastrous explosion, the lives lost, hundreds left without families, all the work put in to saving Equestria would go to waste...

These thoughts...These thoughts abruptly triggered a momentous fury deep within the soul of Rainbow Dash. She became enraged and felt her strength come back for one more round, she would not fall, wouldn't give in...Wouldn't, give...up! Dash noticed the broken glass case from which the axe came from. Nova smirked even harder, thinking that it was useless for her to even try to overthrow him. But Rainbow kept struggling to line herself up with the case. At last Sparks cried out proudly, "Give up Rainbow Dash! You CAN'T WIN! I AM...SCIENCE!"

Rainbow used the last bit of breath she had and said very hoarsely yet boldly, "...FOR PRINCESS CELESTIA!"

Without knowing what was behind him, Dash thrashed back as hard as she could against the case...and the shards of glass stuck straight into the backside of Nova Sparks. His jaw dropped opened and tears of pain ran down his face. His back tensed up and he instantaneously let go of the axe that held Rainbow in the dangerous vice grip. She took a deep gasp of relief, and Nova dropped to the ground on his flank then gave an anguish outcry. Rainbow washed the blood from her lips and grabbed the axe. This time, the tables were turned as he was down on the floor shouting in agony, she took the blunt side of the axe and broke Nova's two back hooves. This sparked Sparks to screech of something awful as Rainbow threw the axe out the window then approached the bomb for the possible fourth and last time. She looked under it and at last found an activation switch. Once more, she looked over at the defeated mastermind, and the sight of the broken Stallion filled her with satisfaction. They had finally overcome the odds of his powerful super magic, eliminated his army, and killed off Bradshaw and Comet. All the sacrifices made...Rainbow Dash decided it was time to make sure they weren't for nothing. She shut her eyes, and one tear streamed down her cheek, "I love you girls...forever...Good-bye..."

She lowered down to flick the switch and a blank look of painful defeat, spread over the face of Nova Sparks...He...was defeated at last.

-----

Then moments later, the girls down below watched as a white flash of light flickered from the control room of the ship. Followed by a dull roar in the distance. Everypony listened in, it was the ship, different parts of the Supernova flung off and blasted away; Wings, windows, fins, satellites, doors, etc. The roar got louder and Applejack cried out as she knew what was coming, "IT'S GONNA BLOOOOOOOOW!"

No sooner the words were out of her mouth, the very bottom of the hull exploded with tremendous force. Everypony took cover and dove to the ground, covering their heads. Finally there was a massive surging blast, like a mushroom cloud, that lit up the sky, debris fell everywhere, and the blast created hurricane-like forces. The girls held on to each other as the entire ship vaporized in mid-flight. The blasts went on for two whole minutes before it started to calm down.

Then Applejack, Twilight Sparkle, Rarity, Spike, Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie looked up and realized...Rainbow Dash was gone. There was a moment of silence between the girls, "She's...Gone..." Twilight muttered grievously as tears collected in her eyes.

Applejack removed her hat and lowered her head, "She saved us all. No more Rainbow..."

Rarity gave a brief laugh and then began to cry, "I guess she knew it was the only way."

Pinkie sat down, depressed and collapsed into her hooves, "Rainbow..."

They gathered around and consoled one another. They mourned and cried over the loss of their courageous friend. Dash had sacrificed her loyal self for the good of Equestria. She had saved everypony's life. As they cried and cried the smoke began to clear and the moonlight broke through, and on this night, they would never forget the ultimate sacrifice Rainbow Dash made...For Equestria.

-----

Three days passed, and everything was only beginning to go back to normal, and while the citizens of Ponyville, along with the dogs cleaned up the remains of the ship. They failed to come across any remains of Rainbow Dash. Nothing, not a thing. But Twilight and the girls vowed to hold a vigil in memory of all those lost, during the darkest chapter of Equestrian history since the days of Discord. There were crying eyes everywhere at that memorial. Etched into a plaque, carved from a slab of rock from Suffolk Valley to be displayed in the town square, was the names of everypony who perished from Sparks' reign. With the names Big Macintosh, and Rainbow Dash at the very top of the list. Each of the girls gave their own eulogies and finally found closure to the tragedy.

After the vigil, they all went back to leading their lives. Although it would never be the same for Twilight Sparkle or Applejack. The next morning following the memorial, Applejack with help from her other relatives around Equestria, started their duties to clean up the field. They replanted the trees and began reconstruction for a new barn. As everypony pitched in, Applejack herself, tore down the sign calling "Sweet Apple Acres", and replaced it with a banner naming "Macintosh Plains". Then AJ wrapped her hoof around her little sister Applebloom and kissed her. Then the two siblings galloped off into the fields and played into the long hours of the night, not having a care in the world. A promise kept for her younger kin. This whole experience had brought them closer together, strengthening their bond.

-----

Trixie was never seen in Ponyville again after her last visit. But before she left, she made her peace with Twilight. They let by gones, be by gones, and said their farewells. But it was heard that she finally found success out in the big city Las Pegasus. Getting her name in the books and rightfully earning respect as the Mare of Magic, and all she needed was a little help. Ponies say that she now has her very own show with hired assistants and all. Wowing the crowd every night, she always pays homage to her friend Twilight, at the end of every show.

-----

As for Aspen and his fellow canine comrades, they decided to move on and become security guards in Canterlot. To earn respect for themselves and do what they do best. He never explained why he kissed Twilight that one afternoon, but something told her, that it wasn't out of romance...it was for appreciation.

-----

Meanwhile back at Carousel Boutique, Rarity resumed to her fashion designing, as if nothing had interfered. Except now she had a new found inspiration with Spike at her side. Every morning, the caring dragon dropped a single rose at her doorstep, and Rarity always showed her appreciation with a basket of gems for her lover every evening. Twilight and the others found the two inseparable, but never minded it. They were happier than ever. Two of a kind. Despite their physical differences, they knew their hearts did not lie. The power of love, is certainly a curious thing.

-----

Fluttershy returned to her animals as normal, but now felt more confident, and less afraid of her fears. In a very subtle and mysterious way, she had to thank Nova Sparks for toughening her up, and helping her realize that there are many more things to be afraid of, than a shadow, and even a dragon. Even her timid personality faded some what and her charisma rose. Pushing herself to even ask a stallion on a date. She finally felt great about herself, and knew she could accomplish much more in the future.

-----

With Pinkie Pie, as a welcome back reward, the Cakes offered a partnership and was now the owner of 50% of Sugar Cube Corner. Which meant greater responsibilities, but also brought big business and a greater monthly revenue. She promised to maintain her duties, leaving out her bouncing personality out of the equation when necessary...Most of the time.

-----

And what would happen to the throne? Days after, Twilight was called up by a special invitation from Aspen himself at the palace and was met with a familiar face. Celestia's successor would be Princess Luna. Although Twilight was not pleased with her majesty's neglect. Luna explained that Nova's dark magic prevented her from even interfering with his work in the slightest. But she knew of everything that had happened and told her that after the strike from the elements of harmony, it was as if a magical barrier was lifted and Luna was free from her prohibition. She deeply apologized with great regret and looked up at a portrait of her sister. Then decreed, that Twilight Sparkle, Applejack, and even Rainbow Dash were to become members and official agents, on her majesty's secret service.

-----

At last, Twilight Sparkle returned to her studies, and continued to manage the library. One day, she eventually came across her saddlebag once again and found the piece of manarite in her bag. She picked it up in her hooves and placed it on a window sill, to remind herself of a difficult journey, and to symbolize a victory well earned. Not a day went by when she didn't think about Rainbow. But she didn't let her feelings get in the way of living a normal life. Except she felt even closer to her friends than ever.

After the entire events that went on in Ponyville, Canterlot and the Canyons, she knew that harmony can be threatened and the world can be torn from her in the clop of her hooves, yet harmony could always find a way to restore itself. Twilight looked out her window and gazed up at the sky. She knew that Princess Celestia and Rainbow Dash were looking down on her, and that they were proud of her. Even after the offers that Sparks threw at her of domination and magical supremacy, Twilight remained loyal and always found herself saying it whenever she thought about it, "Equestria was not enough."

-----

...One year later...

-----

"Howdy Pinkie!" Applejack greeted as she proudly trotted through the doors of Sugar Cube Corner.

The pink pony bounced with excitement up to the counter, "Oh Hiya Applejack! What are you doin today?"

AJ wiped sweat from her head and spoke loud and said it proud, "Well I jus came from the ranch with great news!"

"Oooo What is it?" Pinkie asked ecstatically and anxiously.

Applejack left for a few seconds and came back in with a trolley of freshly picked, ripe apples, "Our first crop of the year! Boy howdy, I gotta say that these babies are the best I've seen in years. In fact...I was just on my way to the market with em."

Pinkie Pie congratulated her, "Wow great job! I bet it will bring a lot of money to your farm!"

She agreed laughing, "You betcha! This oughta help pay off for a new apple celler. Ya think I can get a drink? I'm mighty thirsty."

"Sure thing." Pinkie smiled gladly.

As Applejack took a seat within one of the booths, she heard the sound of the door and turned to see Fluttershy trotting in wearing an emerald necklace. She whistled impressively, "Look at the size of that rock! Where'd ya get that Fluttershy?"

The still very timid pony blushed and felt embarrassed. But she smiled back gleefully, "Oh This? Do you like it? Navy gave it to me..."

"Are ya still datin that steed? How long has it been now? 10 months?" She asked curiously.

"A whole year!" Fluttershy answered flapping her wings joyfully.

Applejack grinned, "You really like him don't ya?"

Fluttershy avoided eye contact for a minute, stared at her jewel, then back up at AJ nodding cheerfully, "I do."

"I thought so." She smiled.

The door chimed again and this time Twilight walked in levitating a letter, "Hey there Fluttershy. Hey have you seen A...Applejack! There you are. I received a letter from Princess Luna. She wants to see us in Canterlot on thursday. It's important."

Applejack nodded and stretched back in her seat, "Yeah yeah, it's always important with that Princess. What have you been doin anyways?"

Twilight chuckled, "Just came from the library. Finished up doing some chores. Spike was supposed to do em but he ran out on me this morning after he got some package in the mail. I haven't seen him since."

"Maybe it's a bouquet of roses this time." AJ joked.

Everypony laughed and Twilight nodded, "Yeah probably...Oooo What a nice necklace there Fluttershy! Navy Blue?"

"Yes." She answered softly.

Twi was impressed, "Getting serious is it? I mean it's been about a year now. I mean even though he lives up in Cloudsdale, he still spends a lot of time with you."

With a humored giggle, Fluttershy approved, "I know. It's so wonderful. He's just like me! Kind, a Pegasus, good with animals and loves the outdoors."

Applejack chuckled, "Well he's certainly not shy. I'd figure that'd be a drawback."

"Oh Not at all. He doesn't care that I'm shy. He loves me for who I am, and I feel the same way." She assured.

Twilight smiled tenderly, "Well were very happy for you, right Applejack?"

AJ nodded happily as well, "Of course we are Sugar Cube. I jus like teasin ya. Although no offense and all but, I never thought you'd be the one to ask him out."

Then all of a sudden, Spike and Rarity barged through the door blissfully, hoping around with pure excitement. Twilight tried to calm them down, "Guys! Guys! Take it easy. What's going on?"

They halted but shook with ecstacy. Spike kissed her and asked her quickly, "You want to tell them or should I?"

"Oh You tell them darling..." Rarity pleaded with enthusiasim.

"Tell us what?" Pinkie bounced out randomly.

Applejack rose from her seat, "Yeah what's on the go?"

Spike hesitated a paused for the moment to heighten the mood, "...Rarity and I ARE GETTING MARRIED!"

Immediately everypony screamed and crowded in for a joyous group hug, and after two minutes of "congratulations" and "I'm so happy for you's", Rarity showed the girls the earrings Spike proposed with. Everypony was amazed, "Are those real diamonds?" Twilight asked in slight state of shock.

"They are!" Rarity hopped excitedly and smooched Spike once again.

"When is the wedding going to be?" Fluttershy wondered.

Spike scratched his head and laughed, "Well were not sure yet but I figured I'd seal the deal now for the future."

"And I couldn't be happier, Spiky Wikey...Darling you're the best!" Rarity hugged him, crying happy tears.

"Looks like everything goes up from here." Twilight beamed happily.

Applejack agreed, "Yeah...I hope this don't sound too corny but I love you girls, and of course you as well, Spike...Congratulations once again."

-----

As the days passed on, they soon forgot and never mentioned Nova Sparks or his cronies ever again. Perhaps it was most likely repressed but the fact remained, harmony had thrived over the psychotic dreams and dark magic that Sparks lived by...and died by. Although Rainbow Dash seemed to mentioned nearly everyday. Somewhere, somepony would mention her at least once. Because of her passion for loyalty, she gave her life and allowed her fellow Equestrians to survive. Everypony moved on, and celebrated life. In the atmosphere of harmony...

[...Finis...]

End of "Equestria Is Not Enough"...But......




Twilight Sparkle and the girls will return...




...in....




"The Art Of The Kill"

Comments ( 3 )

I'm not normally a fan of Sad/Dark stories (because I am a cheesy sap! XD) but as a huge Bond fan I simply have to give this a go. :twilightsmile:

665798

You may be pleased to find many references from the 007 movie franchise in this story and I hope you enjoy every one of them :rainbowlaugh:

This was as rainbow dash (r.I.p)would say awesome the story was top notch the fights spectacular and that ending...I cried manly tears

Login or register to comment