• Published 26th Nov 2011
  • 1,776 Views, 10 Comments

Equestria Is Not Enough - Canon Fodder



Twilight, AJ, and Dash must go against all odd's to defeat their most dangerous enemy yet.

  • ...
3
 10
 1,776

Chapter 2: Back To Work

Chapter 2: Back To Work

It was a new day. Twilight Sparkle woke up fully rested. Today she had many things on her schedule she was determined to complete. She glanced over at her clock on the night stand and noticed It was 11:30am, "11:30 AM! I HAVE A SPEECH TO DELIVER IN HALF AN HOUR!" she exclaimed, launching herself out of bed.

The purple pony ran franticly about the library getting herself ready; Collecting her notes, fixing her mane, collecting more notes, and getting Spike to check over her checklist. Not once, not twice, but three times to ensure everything was in order. Spike had been pushed to the brink of exaustion and was ready to have a nervous breakdown but held it together because he knew this was important to his friend. Before heading out the door with Twilight, he took some medication for a migraine Zecora had given him the other day. As Twilight and Spike ran down the street, they could see that there was already a crowd at the town square waiting for her. Twilight slowed down as she approached the crowd in order to make it seem she was keeping her cool and not in a rush. Even after the intense half hour of galloping around, she managed to make it there on time. Her other five companions were also there, waiting for her on stage to address Ponyville. As she was climbing the stairs that lead onto the stage she noticed the white mane of Mr. Buckingham in the front of the crowd. Thinking to herself she began to wonder. "I thought he wasn't going to be able to make it? Hmm...maybe something came up."

Everything was going according to plan and Twilight was relieved. The Mayor stepped up and gave the introduction, "Good afternoon everypony, I hope you're prepared for Princess Celestia's birthday next Saturday. We have six days to prepare and it's going to get very hectic. That is why these six ponies up here with me are going to explain what needs to be done. If you head to the town hall bulletin board, everypony will see a sign up sheet with 4 different categories that everypony could take part in. To sweeten the deal of taking part in helping, everypony will receive an increase in their holiday bonuses from the Princess herself. Now without further adieu, I am going to call on our chief of staff and organizer of the entire festival. Miss Twilight Sparkle!"

Twilight got a pretty hyped reaction from the crowd, making her feel confident and couldn't wait to get going. She firmly spoke out, "Thank you, we have six days prior to our Princess's birthday and there is still a lot that needs to be done."

Applejack and Pinkie Pie stepped forward while Twilight explained, "For our visitors here in town or others who may not know, this is Applejack and Pinkie Pie. These two are in charge of the catering for the party. You'll see on the sign up sheet that there will be sections 1a and 1b. 1a will involve working on Sweet Apple Acres, managed by Applejack and assisted by her brother Big Macintosh. 1b will be the baking and making of the desserts at Sugar Cube Corner. Pinkie Pie and her supervisors Mr. and Mrs. Cake will be the ones to see about that."

Rainbow Dash approached the front with an eager smile, "Now everypony, I'm sure you've all heard of Rainbow Dash. Rainbow here is in charge of section 2 which unfortunately for some of you is only open to Pegasus ponies. Ponies who choose this category will be helping to keep the clouds clear on Saturday, travel to other communities in Equestria to promote this event, and most importantly be the look out in the skies for any trouble."

Fluttershy was next but she hesitated to move up front, she wouldn't budge one step until AJ and Rainbow pushed her ahead. Twilight chuckled awkwardly, "This is Fluttershy. She is organizing the musical talents for the ceremony and conducting the songs to be played during the party. If you wish to assist with this, please sign up for section 3 and bring your favorite instrument. I'm sure Fluttershy will be able to fit you in somewhere."

Rarity strutted up on stage with a massive ego. Twilight continued, "And this is Rar--" Rarity jumped to the podium, and shoved Twilight out of the way.

Rarity flaunted, "I am Rarity and you may have heard of me...What am I kidding, of COURSE you've heard of me. If you wish to come with me and deliver the formal ensembles to all my clients across Ponyville and other places around Equestria, please sign your name under number 4."

Twilight and her other friends were watching as Rarity overtook the stage. She concluded smiling, "Anypony and I mean ANYpony can help out." as she tilted her head towards Bradshaw.

Rarity stepped down and Twilight made her way back aboard the podium to give her final remarks, "O...K.... Uhh thank you Rarity. Anyway, like the Mayor said, Anypony who signs up will be eligible for a holiday bonus courtesy of the her majesty. The town hall will be opening at 2pm tomorrow so that'll give you all enough time to decide over what you'll want to do. That is all I have to say and I hope to see you all tomorrow. Thank you."

As Twilight and the others trotted off the stage they were given a huge applause. Bradshaw Buckingham stood there pondering with a stern look upon his face then trotted off towards his hotel. Meanwhile as the crowd gradually departed, Rainbow Dash nudged Rarity, "What the hay was that Rarity? Even I don’t flaunt like THAT."

"Oh Please Rainbow Dash, I was just helping Twilight that’s all, She looked nervous up there. I decided to give her a break." Said the white, purple maned mare with a charming smile.

Applejack intervened, "Oh C’mon Rarity, we seen you looking at that tourist with the white mane. Ya'll were just tryin to impress him."

Rarity scoffed and turned her head away, "Well I have never felt so insulted. If you think I was just strutting up there to impress him you could just forget this conversation. Now if you'll excuse me, I have customers to tend to."

Twilight jumped in to explain to the girls, "Rarity just tell the truth. Girls, the reason she's acting like is because she's got her eye on a new stallion in town. Isn't that right Rarity?"

Rarity laughed uneasily, "Of course not, don't be silly...I would never let a crush get in the way of my duties as a Fashionista.”

Her friends stared at her silent for a moment before Rarity finally gave in, ”Oh who am I kidding...I'm sorry for the way I acted up there girls, I DO like him!"

Pinkie bounced with excitement. "OH BOY! WHAT'S HIS NAME, WHAT'S HIS NAME!"

"His name is...Mr. Bradshaw Buckingham." Said Rarity happily.

Spike overheard this and thought to himself, "Bradshaw Buckingham? Hmmm I feel like I heard that name somewhere before."

"...Oh Rarity I'm so...Oops I mean we’re all so happy for you...Right girls?" Said the timid Fluttershy softly.

Rainbow Dash added, "Yeah, that’s awesome! I suppose we can let this incident slide just once."

The other girls agreed and said their good-byes, for now. They departed and headed off to prepare for their extra help to arrive.

-----

Meanwhile Buckingham was back at his hotel room, discussing with his associate what he learned at the press conference through his wrist gadget, "I believe we've hit a lil snag sir. It seems the Pegasus ponies will be looking out over the skies. If we plan on doing this, it'll have to be operated from the ground. Of course even then we have to look out for the Royal Guards."

The voice laughed and assured, "Do not worry, I have prepared for every situation. It may be tricky to enter from the skies but I have already contemplated our ground operations. The Royal Guards you say? I don’t believe they’ll be a threat if they are dealing with us. The purple one you say, Twilight Sparkle is it? Said she was looking for extra helping hooves?"

"That is correct sir." Buckingham confirmed.

"Ah It's so simple in what we must do. When is the deadline for this application?" Asked the presence on the other side.

"Tomorrow sir. We'll have to act on it soon." Answered Buckingham.

His associate chuckled, "One day is all we need my loyal assistant...Assign yourself to the clothing section. You've told me that the manager of that is fond of you. We could use that to our advantage. I'll inform you of the rest of the plan later on. Until then do as I have requested, and I will take care of the rest."

The brown stallion accepted with a smirk, "Of course sir, it'll be done. You can count on me."

-----

A couple hours later, Twilight and Spike were busy managing the ponies down at the Town Hall, acting as a directory for each pony to go to for their duties, and to Twilights surprise, a lot more than she was expecting actually showed up. It didn't surprise her though that most of them were heading toward categories 1a and b (Apples & Baking). Knowing Pinkie Pie, Twilight knew she would probably allow a few test batches for hired tasters. Coming through the door next were the self-proclaimed Cutie Mark Crusaders; Applebloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo.

"Hay there Twilight!" greeted Applebloom.

"Hi girls! Are you here to sign up?" Asked Twilight.

Applebloom nodded with excitement, "We shore are! We’ve finally all decided what we’re gonna do."

"By the end of the week, celebrating Princess Celestia's birthday won't be the only joyful occasion. That's the day were finally going to earn out cutie marks!" Sweetie Belle exclaimed.

"Yeah were sure of it!" added Scootaloo.

Twilight smiled and laughed, "Ok girls, sure. Applebloom let’s start with you. What do you want to do?"

"I want to work on the farm with ma sister!" said Applebloom excitedly.

Twilight nodded and wrote down her name, "Yep, and you Scootaloo?"

"Hmm I'm not too sure if I can fly good enough yet to help Rainbow Dash but I wouldn't mind baking with Pinkie Pie though!" she said happily, although felt slightly disappointed that she couldn’t help her idol.

"Perfect, that’s 1b, and Sweetie Belle, how about you?" Twilight wondered.

"I want to help out my sister too. Sign me up for section 4." Said Sweetie Belle confidently.

Twilight took down their names and confirmed their duties, "Alright you’re all signed up. I think you all know where to meet your managers right?"

"You betcha! C’mon girls." said Applebloom as she dashed towards the front door followed by her crusading comrades.

As the Cutie Mark Crusaders left the building they nearly bumped into Bradshaw Buckingham who was coming in through the door. Twilight welcomed him, "Oh Hello there Mr. Buckingham. Here to sign up I'm guessing?"

He grinned, "Why yes of course ma'am.”

He turned towards the baby dragon and kindly greeted him, ”Hello there friend."

Spike inspected him and noticed his odd looking watch and replied with an unsure tone, "Hi...Are you Bradshaw Buckingham?"

"The one and only, and you are?" Asked the southerner.

"I'm Spike. I'm Twilights personal assistant." He said.

"Well pleasure to make your acquaintance Mr. Spike. Ms. Sparkle, think you can sign me up for section 4?" Buckingham requested.

Twilight thought about it and wondered about why he wanted to work for Rarity. She responded as if there was nothing strange about his asking, "Of course. It would be my pleasure."

"Thank you kindly. Uhhh.. You mind me askin’ what time you'll open tomorrow? I just need to know in case I decide to re-think my decision." Explained Buckingham.

Twilight answered him cheerfully, "We'll be open at 9am Mr. Buckingham."

"Ah Perfect. Thank you again. I'll be seein’ ya'll around now, don’t be a stranger!" Bradshaw called out, exiting the Town Hall.

Spike took interest, "Doesn't he seem awfully strange to you?"

Twilight thought about it for a second then shrugged, "Nah, he's just interested in Rarity's thats all."

This made Spike even more intrigued. He had read about Someone Buckingham before. He couldn't remember where though. He decided he'd look it up at the library later.

-----

On his way to Carousel Boutique, Bradshaw saw that there was no one around and figured it was a good time to contact his boss. He informed that he was on his way to work with Rarity then was told of the plan to be executed. He contemplated what will go down and continued his way over to Carousel Boutique. He soon arrived and to Rarity's surprise, while she was sewing a dress together she became distracted by the "stud of a stallion" and fooled up the dress she was fixing. Rarity already began to day dream. She quickly hid the ruined dress and welcomed him, "Mr. Buckingham, it is such a pleasure once again meet with you."

"Well I just hope I can help in anyway I possible can Ms. Rarity. I am at your disposal." The charming pony said.

Rarity began to melt and a sly smirk started at the corner of her mouth, "Oh Mr. Buckingham. I believe you'll be a very beneficial member of our group. Unfortunately I already sent a bunch of ponies to run some deliveries for me. I don't think I have anymore deliveries to be made today actually. But you need to do something I suppose. I guess you can help around the shop. Twilight notified me a while ago that I'd also be in charge of decorations."

He grinned, "Well let's get to it then! I can't wait."

"Oh I can't wait either Mr. Buckingham. I think me and you are going to make this party an absolute memorable occasion!" said Rarity eagerly.

Bradshaw laughed and thought to himself, "So do I Ms. Rarity...Haha...So do I..."

-----

Later that evening, Twilight and Spike were walking home from their tiring day. Along their way, Twilight decided she was going to stop into Sugar Cube Corner to see how Pinkie is making out but Spike told her he was much too tired and was going on ahead to go to bed. They parted ways and Twilight made her way to Sugar Cube Corner. Twilight could smell the baked goods as she neared the building. When she got there, she was pleased to see that another couple of her friends were also there. Rainbow, Fluttershy, and Pinkie were sitting around chatting about their day. Twilight approached and sat down with her friends, "Hi girls!"

"Oh Hey Twilight." Rainbow smiled.

"Hey Twilight! Do you want to try my new cupcake recipe! I made a batch just for you guys." Said Pinkie joyfully.

Twilight laughed and grabbed a cupcake, "Sure, I could use a snack after today."

Rainbow agreed, "Oh Tell me about it. Derpy Hooves has been giving me a headache all day! I had to come here to get it off my mind. She's so clumsy. I heard she was fired from a moving company in Cloudsdale, apparently she dropped a piano on some poor pony."

Twilight looked puzzled and thought to herself, "Dropped a piano on some pony? Could that be......Naaaaaah."

"Fluttershy, how was your day?" Asked Twilight.

"Oh..My day was perfect. I never had any trouble with my helpers." Fluttershy said quietly.

Twilight smiled and turned to Pinkie, "And you Pinkie?"

Pinkie bounced with excitement, "Oooo My day was super duper fun! All the ponies are such good cooks! Well...Scootaloo needed some help but everypony else was great! Twilight how was your day?"

"My day was easy but still tiring, sitting in that Town Hall all day made me tired. Did anypony here from Applejack today?" Twilight wondered.

Rainbow Dash spoke up, "I heard she was getting her relatives settled away. I think Big Mac was handling the apple bucking today. I wonder how Rarity's doing now. Hopefully she's been so busy she's forgotten about that stallion."

"I wouldn't be so sure." Twilight mentioned.

"Mr. Buckingham came into the Town Hall today and signed up to help out Rarity."

Rainbow facehoofed, "Ahh Great, now were going to be hearing about this for the next week."

"Hopefully this week will go by fast. Everything will calm down once the Princess's birthday is over. Speaking of which girls, I think I better get on home. I'm going to be making my way around tomorrow to assess how everypony will be doing." Twilight explained, trotting towards the door.

Pinkie waved for her attention, "But Twilight. You never ate your cupcake."

"Oh Just put it up for me. I'll have it another time." Said Twilight.

"Okey dokey lokey!" Pinkie said happily.

"Bye girls!" Twilight said, exiting the shop.

"Good-bye Twilight." Fluttershy called out.

Rainbow was wondering, "Hmmmmm..."

"What is it Rainbow?" Asked the timid one.

Dash rubbed her hoof on her chin, "It's that Buckingham guy. I'm going to stop by Rarity's place tomorrow afternoon. I want to check on her...Anyway ladies, I should get going too. I'm getting kind of tired."

"Okey dokey Rainbow! See you!" Smiled Pinkie Pie.

"Bye!" said Rainbow as she flew out.

When Rainbow dash left Sugar Cube Corner, she began to fly home. As she was flying, she thought to herself. "Hmmm I hope Rarity doesn't fall for a stranger. I don't trust that guy. He seems a little too friendly. Maybe I'll stop by Rarity's a little earlier tomorrow."



[...To be Continued]