• Published 26th Nov 2011
  • 1,786 Views, 10 Comments

Equestria Is Not Enough - Canon Fodder



Twilight, AJ, and Dash must go against all odd's to defeat their most dangerous enemy yet.

  • ...
3
 10
 1,786

Chapter 16: Dr. Know

Chapter 16 Dr. Know

Thursday afternoon, Twilight was reading some of the books from the ancient Unicorn Sanctuary. Applejack and Rainbow were running around the edge of the spell circle, using it as a race track. Rainbow flew while AJ galloped laps around it. They were preparing for their siege upon Nova's estate. Twilight stretched out her magic abilities by testing out various spells from the ancient texts, which were mostly written by Star Swirl and Ellipsis. Bellflowers spell had kept them going in food. Rainbow cycled through different sections of the library so she wouldn't draw much suspision over the disappearance of the books they used. Twilight jumbled around through the books looking for another read, until she came about the magazine Rainbow had brought her. It had gotten mixed up and lost through all the books. It was an issue from a couple years back. Twilight thought about it and figured it wouldn't hurt to have a glance through it. Although her "glance through" lasted her the next couple hours. It was very fascinating to her. Applejack and Rainbow later lied down to rest from their work outs, and Twilight was nearing the last article in the magazine. When she got to it, the headline caught her interests, Remembering Dr. Know & His Final Graduating Class. This intregued Twilight greatly. Dr. Know was one of her professors in University. She glanced below the heading and read the article. This year at Princess Celestia's School For Gifted Unicorns, we say farewell to a well respected colleague who will missed forever. Last week brought the unfortunate passing of the great magic professor. Although everypony knew him as Dr. Know, his real name was Doctor Know How. He preferred just the title Dr. Know because it sounded more teacher-like. Dr. How didn't have a ring to it. The Doctor taught the same place he was schooled. Technically he had a career there spanning over 40 years. He taught history and advanced magical courses such as Swirl Studies 4200. He also had advanced knowledge with a PhD in physics and mathematics, earning him his doctoral status. The Doctors passing came about after his vacation home in the Everfree Forest was found scorched to the ground. The aged Unicorn happened to be taking unpaid time off at the time. Thus resulting in this unfortunate event. Everypony at the school knew the professor well. But nopony knew him better, then his final graduating class. Consisting of only 7 Unicorns this year, it was a small class. But among the seven, one stood out to Dr. Know as his great apprentice. The golden colt simply known as Comet. The name broke Twilights concentration, "Comet?!"

Applejack and Rainbow had been talking to each other looked over at Twilight, "Everythin ok over there Sugar Cube?" Asked AJ.

Twilight called over, "Just...gimme a minute. I need to finish reading this..."

Comet was known around the campus as Dr. Knows protégé. He had expansive knowledge of magic and learned it quite well and fast. After Dr. Knows death, Comet seemed to have been stricken with grief and dropped out of school, and as for Dr. Know, his legacy will live on in the hearts of every teacher in Equestria. Some of his fellow facualty members even knew him and referred to him as a modern day Ellipsis, although he never did conjure his own spells. The knowledgable stallion lived to be 55 years of age. It saddens everypony that such a beloved teacher can be taken away ever so quickly... That's where the article ended and Twilight spoke to herself, "Yeah...I know what you mean..."

Twilight trickled a tear down her face but quickly brushed it away as Rainbow and Applejack trotted over, "What were ya all upset about Twi?"

Twilight assured, "Oh I wasn't upset. Just a really good story..."

The girls nodded their heads, "Oh That's cool...Twilight, do we really need to be in here another couple days? My wings are starting to get a little dusty." Said Dash nervously.

Twilight shook her head, "No can do girls. We have to strike when Nova least expects us. I don't think he's leaving until Monday at least anyways. But don't worry girls, the wait will be well worth it. We'll all get our shots in on Nova. It's just matter of time."

"If you say so Twi." Applejack said uneasily.

Twilight stood up proudly, "Just think girls, we'll be bringing an end to all this madness. Once we have Nova's magic cut down. All that'll be left will only be the quivering failure of a merciless mastermind of a Unicorn. Then we'll make him pay for everything he's caused to this land. Nova's Empire will blow up right in his face. Destroying every threatening aspect of him...Get ready girls, we have less then 60 hours to prepare. Tonight we'll sleep, tomorrow we train, saturday we go over the plan, and sunday morning, we save Equestria..."

-----

The next couple days went as planned. Twilight, Applejack, and Rainbow Dash spent friday afternoon exercising. Twilight had gone through over half the books in the sanctuary, learning a couple efficient spells along the way. Applejack had her routine; laps, push-ups and sit-ups. She was all in it, motivated by her little sister. Though Applejack didn't yet know of Appleblooms new whereabouts and what had happened to Sweet Apple Acres. AJ also kept going on for Big Macintosh, hoping to save him from his brainwashed state. Returning her big brother back to normal. Finally there was Rainbow Dash who mainly kept to herself when stretching her wings. Even though there was little space, Dash still managed to practice her aerial capabilities. Laps and short range evasion. Rainbow was running on pure revenge. Every time she practiced her flying kicks, she liked to think it was Nova on the end of it. She worried about her home-town, Cloudsdale, all the time. Rainbow made her top priority to free the girls and stop Nova, then finish off Nova herself, whether that would provoke a severe beating or death, she hadn't decided yet. She would have to wait until that time came. Out for vengeance over Celestias tragic passing was Twilight. But not only for her, but for all Equestrians. She remembered the time she told Spike that the Princess's party was "The" most important assignment sent from the Princess herself. That was not the case anymore. Nova was about to bring his magical research to an all time high, while bringing Equestria into anarchy. Twilight vowed that she would not let that happen as long as she still breathed. She realized that this was an all or nothing mission. Through the guarded streets of Canterlot, sneaking through dangerous courtyard of the palace, breaking into Nova's ship, rescuing the girls while obviously avoiding the tight security, then finally striking Sparks and his dangerous magical abilities down with the elements of harmony, thus restoring peace and safety to Equestria. That was the plan that Twilight and the girls discussed saturday afternoon, finalizing their responsibilities and specific duties. Incase of an emergency escape or whenever they were ready to intercept Nova, Twilight had learned a brief telepathic communication spell that would be very difficult to pull off and could only be done once. She explained that she'd use it to mentally communicate to Rainbow for further instructions. Applejack and Twilight were to siege the ship as planned. This was it. Their licence to kill had been put in place, they were officially ready to take on the armada of burly canines, loyalists and brainwashed ponies of Nova, and Nova himself. All that was left to do was play the waiting game.

-----

"Gentlecolts!" Nova exclaimed proudly greeting an army of ponies and dogs within his throne room. The army looked somewhat different. This time they were not dressed in the usual white armour they were normally supplied with. This time they all wore black jumpsuits, with white stripes and their armies cutie mark sewed into the backs of each suit. Nova sat in his throne wearing not a jumpsuit, but his own tailored suit with a black under shirt and a white neck tie. His new fillyfriend Trixie was at his side, along with Bradshaw Buckingham. Trixie wore a black cape over herself while Bradshaw wore a jumpsuit, a more superior jumpsuit with gold stars that symbolized him as the head of the pack. Nova continued with his speech, "Tonight my loyal subjects, we shall take flight aboard Supernova and fly to the Canyonlands where project: meteor waits for us. You have each been individually selected to be on my elite squadron who will accompany me on this journey. Each of you will be equipped with a new wrist gadget. One with an actual name."

Buckingham stepped forward and showed off the new technology. Nova explained it's functions, "This is the N-Tech II. It looks like the same model as before but it has more capabilities. For example, it's laser function is much more precise and this time is activated with a push of a button instead of a knob. It has a temporary zero-point energy function, though it does drain it's power somewhat more quickly so please use only in dire situations. It has up to 99 different radio frequencies, can now fire more powerful blasts of energy, and each one has been equipped with a deadly neuro-toxin syringe that can be activated by the twist of the metal cuff layer, which should be used in close combat as a last resort. Now, on to the main topic. You may step away Mr. Buckingham...Now, as you all have heard now, my former head scientist of research and machinery was unfortunately terminated a few days ago at the hooves of three resilient mares who have seemed to have slipped off the radar. Mr. Tavors was also supposed to be the one to prepare the missiles launch, but now he will never be able to. So, we had to call in our back up, or plan B. This pony is like no other. Quite the intellectual. We actually wanted him in on this plan from the very beginning, but I decided the stallion of this intellegence should only be used in important situations. Which is good thing considering the untimely death of Mr. Tavors. (He yells to the outside of the throne room) Mr. Comet if you would, please come in and introduce our new head scientist..."

The doors opened and Comet trotted in, followed by Big Macintosh and a white stallion, with a black mane and appearing to where a thin, light-brown turtle neck sweater. His front hooves were none like anypony had ever seen. His legs were white, but his front hooves were black, iron black. He was also a Unicorn. The three approached the throne and the white stallion addressed the crowd. He spoke with a mysterious, yet warming voice, "Hello my friends...My name, is Dr. Know, and I will be your main scientist from here on in. My associate Mr. Sparks has informed me that I will be the one to aim the missile and prepare its launch. If you have heard my name before, then you should know that I was once a school professor. Although of you may be shocked to see me alive...Quite an easy story. I simply staged my casualty, of course with some help from my pupil, Mr. Comet. But unfortunately during a fire, I was attempting to escape into a secret bunker beneath the floor boards, when my front hooves were caught in the blaze through the trap door, causing severe damage, forcing me to surgically replace them with these titanium substitutes. Works quite well really, almost makes it worth having to withstand the pain. But I digress. I was informed by Nova himself of his plans for magical studies, and being devoted to science, and the wealthy income supplied with the job, I was more then happy to accept his offer. So I hope we can get along together because I plan to help bring this army to an all time high. Mr. Sparks, you may continue..."

Nova smiled and glanced at the clock, "Thank you Doctor. In a matter of hours we will be embarking on our journey, all of you please prepare as soon as possible or you will be left behind. You will be under the orders of Mr. Buckingham here who was promoted to head of security division. Also by now, you all know my beautiful assistant, the..."

Trixie laughed arrogantly, "Oh Please, allow me to introduce myself. I am The Grrreat and Powerful Trixie! Your future queen!"

Nova laughed and stopped her, "I'm sorry my dear, but dictatorships don't have queens. But don't worry, you'll have your place on top believe me. (He looked at the four ponies around him) We all will."

Nova kissed his lovers hoof, "But especially you my dear Trixie."

Nova then stood up from his seat and addressed his crowd once more, "During my absence, Mr. Comet here will be in control...So this is it, the end phase of project: meteor is at hoof. Thus beginning project: singularity, and our new world order. Away with you all! Load the cargo aboard the ship. I want nothing left behind."

The elite army began to leave the room, being lead by Bradshaw Buckingham and Dr. Know. Sparks turned to Comet, "As for you Mr. Comet. I want Macintosh to remain here with you. In case Twilight and her friends try anything, you'll be ready. Which reminds me...(He activates the radio on his N-Tech) Mr. Buckingham. I nearly forgot. Take the prisoners from cells one and two, and lock them in the new cells I've installed in the palace, I think the two Apples are beginning to feel a little lonely in there. Keep the cell three prisoners where they are...We'll be needing them."

He deactivated his radio and proceeded to leave, "Come along my dear. Mr. Comet, I do hope everything will be in order for when I return, the missile should reach the griffons just about then. Giving us the time to enlist an army...Good-bye Mr. Comet and good luck."

Comet nodded and smirked, "As to you sir. I will not fail you."

"I should hope not...Or it's your flank." Nova said as he and Trixie trotted out the door.

Comet ordered Big Mac, "Go and collect that little sister of yours...Applebloom is it?"

Suddenly, it was as if Big Macintosh's trance was broken for the slightest moment, "A-a-applebloom?"

Comet trotted up to him, "Yeah Applebloom...You don't have a problem with bringing her up to my office do you?"

Big Macintosh snapped back in, "...Nnope!"

-----

Early Sunday morning, the secret bookcase to the Sanctuary turned, and the girls appeared. They snuck around, trying to create as little noise as they could, despite the fact that there was no other pony there. They crept around the back rows of book shelves and came to a back door, and exited the library slowly. It was cold outside, windy, with no stars. Only clouds with the moon peering in from an opening. They loomed around the library to the front to see guards on almost every street corner, waiting for a disturbance. Rainbow was worried and nervous, "How are we going to get passed all these guys?"

Applejack concurred, "Yeah, it's not exactly a trot in the fields ya know?"

Twilight gave an understanding nod and looked around. She could see the palace in the distance and quite a distance it was. Her eyes glanced over at an ally way across the street from them and got the idea, "I guess were just going to have to take the back alleys. It's the only way." Whispered Twilight.

The other two agreed and they quickly cross the street to the alley without drawing attention to the guard dogs and ponies on the corners. They trotted quietly through the dark of the night and came across a fearful sight at the end of the first alley. The tried to hold back their concerns as they watched a local get severely beaten by two guards for sneaking out past the curfew hours. They watch the two stallions whip their batons into the guts of the poor steed repeatedly. After the victim began to spit up blood, the guards dragged him off to who knows where while he screamed in agony. Applejack shook her head slowly with a digusted, terrible look on her face, "We...jus gotta put an end to all this. It's gettin outta hoof."

They all agreed and continued down the paths of the alleys. Later, the winds grew stronger as they neared the cliffs of Canterlot where Nova's palace stood. They got to the end of another passageway and came to an opening with even more empty streets. Twilight focused her eyes upon the castle and tried to view the silhouette of Nova's airship, but couldn't see it, "I guess he moved his ship behind the castle." She whispered.

She lead the girls further on, into another back lane stretch, destined for Nova's palace...

-----

Meanwhile, while the girls still did not know the actual whereabouts of the ship. Nova and a small hoof full of his crew were up in the control room of the ship. Nova trotted around the room, looming over his crew's work. He approached the ship's Captain, "How much longer until we hit the border?"

"We should reach it by sunrise. We'd be moving a lot faster sir but we do have large load of cargo aboard." The Commander replied.

"Very good then." Said the Tyrant.

He then trotted over to another worker, his delegate supervisor, "Have we received any messages back from the quarry yet?"

The operative nodded, "Affermative sir. A couple hours ago, we got a message back saying the missile has been fully constructed. All that's left now is for Dr. Know to program it, aim it, confirm it, and launch it."

Nova patted his operator on the shoulder, "Excellent. Keep up the good work."

Nova then heard the sound of a door opening behind him. It was Trixie dressed in robe and slippers, "Nova it's the middle of the night. Are you coming to bed?"

He approached Trixie and kissed her, "I'm sorry to keep you waiting my dear. I'll be along shortly, you go back to sleep. It's another long day tomorrow."

The egotist sighed, "Fine..."

She left the room and Nova smirked as the door closed. Then he silently trotted over to a window of the ship and looked down at Equestria, with the moonlight beaming over the hills and fields. He thought to himself, "Your efforts have failed you Twilight. There is no possible way you can stop me now. In a few days, the Nydeabaen Mountains will cease to exist and the war games shall begin. Even if you try to stop me. I have your friends. Who will soon, become your foes. This is the real world Twilight...The real world."

-----

By 4:30, the girls finally reached the fence of the palace. It was as windy as ever. They made sure no one watched as Rainbow Dash carried Twilight and AJ over the gates. They quickly scurried into the nearby hedge as soon as they made it over, trying to evade the tight security. As they quietly made their way around the castle, Twilight made her final remarks before they sieged the ship, "This is what we've waited for ladies. Nova's empire is about to come crashing down on him just like I predicted...For Berry Punch, for Big Macintosh, for the Mayor...and the Princess. But more importantly, for Equest...Oh no..."

They had scaled the castle only to learn that the ship was gone. Dash began to panic, "They're gone? We were too late. We'll never find out where their gone!"

Applejack leaped on top of her to silence her, "Hush up Rainbow, or yer gonna get us caught. But yer right. What do we do now?"

"I'm thinking!" Twilight exclaimed, whispering.

She looked all around, sweating, searching her mind for an answer, but not finding anything. Then the girls seen a light in one of the second level rooms switch on. They quickly leaped behind the hedge yet again and tried to catch a glimpse of the figure in the window. Twilight had the better view point. She seen that it was a pony...a Unicorn...with a brown mane...and a golden coat. Her eyes widend as she recognized Comets figure. Then she thought about something, and conjoured a new plan, "Oh Were going to find out what's going on alright...and that Colt with the golden horn is going to tell us...Come on..."

[...To be continued]