• Published 11th Aug 2015
  • 1,849 Views, 32 Comments

Chasing Thieves - Yukito



Sunset Shimmer and the FBI are on the hunt for the notorious Kaitou Moon, but another figure may be lurking in the shadows...

  • ...
5
 32
 1,849

13 - The Curtain Closes

Cadance walked down the large, cold corridors of the Bureau's prison section, ignoring the catcalls and whistling of the prisoners around her as she descended deeper and deeper, eventually making her way into the quietest part of the prison.

Showing her ID to the guards, Cadance passed through into the specially designed cells for the most hardened, dangerous criminals, detained away from the eyes of the public. She stopped at the cell labelled 'Sombra' and knocked on the door. "Hellooooo!" No response came. "Um, I heard about what you did. How you saved Shiny and Sunset Shimmer. I wanted to thank you." Still no response. "… Sombra? Are you in there?"

"Of course he is," said Chrysalis behind Cadance, making the latter jumped and clutch her chest.

"Why do you keep sneaking up on people like that?!" Cadance scolded.

"Maybe you just don't pay enough attention to your surroundings." Chrysalis reached forwards and inserted a key into the door, unlocking and opening it.

Cadance noticed the tray that Chrysalis was carrying and asked, "You're bringing him his meals now?"

"Yeah. The situation has changed, and they want me to feed him from now on."

"It's changed? How?" Chrysalis didn't answer, and Cadance looked inside as the door opened completely. She covered her mouth as she gasped. Inside, Sombra was standing with his back to a corner in the dark cell, wearing his straightjacket as always, but with two new additions: a bag was securely tied around his waist, consuming the entire lower section of his body, and his entire jaw was concealed behind a metallic mask.

Sombra stared forwards at the two as Chrysalis walked inside. Cadance followed after her, asking, "What's going on? This is too much!"

"I'm not supposed to say, but you already know about magic, so…" Chrysalis explained to Cadance how Sombra had been able to use magic by simply holding a jewel, resulting in new precautions that prevented Sombra from holding anything.

Chrysalis removed Sombra's mask, revealing his dark, dried lips, and scooped up some of the gruel on her tray. "I hope you've brought desert this time," Sombra said, his voice low and quiet.

"Sorry, it's not in our budget," Chrysalis deadpanned as she fed the prisoner.

Cadance frowned as she watched. "But he saved Shining Armor, and he submitted himself when he could have turned on us!"

"And that saved him from execution," Chrysalis reported. "There's also more support towards reforming him for our purposes, but at the same time, this incident has revealed just how dangerous he is. Until we understand how magic works as he does, this man is the most dangerous person in our world."

"They'll come around," Sombra assured them with a chuckle. "Humans are foolish. They won't be able to resist using my power."

"You speak as though you're not human," Chrysalis said.

"I'm still deciding."

Cadance heard her phone ring and checked it. "I got a text from Shiny… Oh! He said that Kaitou Moon's sent in a retirement notice!"

"Well, that's a shame," Chrysalis said. "She was a pleasant distraction from our busy lives."

"He also said that four tickets… 'mysteriously' appeared on our desks for some show tonight." Cadance looked up from her phone and asked, "Have you ever heard of a 'Great and Powerful Trixie'?"

"Hm? I… can't say that I have." Chrysalis hummed in thought. "Should I run a background check later?"

Sombra chuckled again, gathering Cadance and Chrysalis' attentions. "I know her. You should go."

"You know her?" Cadance asked.

"Yes. I must say, I'm quite a fan."


Trixie and Maud Pie were talking as they walked down the hallways of their school about various things. Or rather, Maud Pie was nodding her head whilst listening to Trixie talking about her big show coming up and how it was going to have the biggest turnout ever. Their dynamic worked for the both of them.

The two stopped as Sunset Shimmer stepped out in front of them from around a corner. "That was certainly a close shave you had," Sunset said to Trixie, ignoring Maud's presence. "So I hear you're retiring?"

"Retiring? From show business?" Trixie asked. "Please! I've only just begun to wow the crowd!"

"Deny it all you want, but I'm this close to getting the evidence that I need to-"

"By the way, Maud, last night was crazy," Trixie said, ignoring Sunset Shimmer as the two continued down the hallway. "I'm so glad that I was with you and your family as we watched that helicopter go down on the news last night!"

"What?!" Sunset shouted as she spun around. "How did- Your friends were under constant watch!"

"What is she talking about?" Maud asked.

"I think she's crazy," Trixie responded, shooting a smirk back to Sunset Shimmer.

Sunset Shimmer groaned and stomped her foot as she turned around, leaving in the opposite direction as she wracked her brains to crack Trixie's new alibi.

As Trixie and Maud continued through the school, the two passed by Canterlot High's silent musician, Vinyl Scratch. She slyly slipped a couple of bank notes to the musician and proceed on her way.

"I'm glad you're feeling better today," Maud said to Trixie. "You didn't talk much last night."

"I had a sore throat from practicing my performance so much," Trixie explained with a grin.


Trixie Lulamoon finished making the final preparations onstage before it was time for the curtain to rise. A quick glance out at the audience showed that the night's guests of honour had arrived: Chrysalis, Shining Armor, his girlfriend Mi Amore Cadenza, and Gilda. Sunset Shimmer had also shown up, much to Trixie's surprise.

Trixie glanced at the front row to find Maud Pie sitting with her family, and then to the side to find Vinyl Scratch finishing her preparations at the music booth.

Stepping back, Trixie made her move towards the backstage area. "Alright girls, it's show time in five minutes! Is everything-" Trixie stopped as she watched the two push away from each other quickly, their faces as red as tomatoes. "… Trixie will pretend she did not see that. Fuchsia, are the lights ready?"

"A-All good to go!" Fuchsia replied.

"Lavender, the costumes good to go?"

"All set, Boss!" Lavender answered with a salute.

"Great! Now look, we've been through a lot, and… I'm sorry… but tonight, we're going to put on the greatest show of all time. Tonight, we're going to forget all about that awful past week and just have fun!"

"Trixie," Fuchsia began, "You didn't retire from being Kaitou Moon for our sakes, did you?"

Trixie scoffed and waved a hand dismissively. "Please! Trixie simply grew bored of that whole shtick! This is where the real magic happens! Right here in the theatre!"

Lavender Lace smiled and said, "Well then, so long as you're sure this is what you want, we'll support you completely! Seriously though, thank you for coming back alive…"

"And thank for counting on us when you really needed us," Fuchsia added, giggling as Trixie's face turned a slight shade of red.

"S-Stop gabbing you two!" Trixie walked past them, stopping to add, "And keep your hands to yourselves! You can make out on your own time!"

Fuchsia and Lavender returned to blushing as they averted their eyes from each other. Trixie laughed as she walked away, checking off the final items on her list.

"… Thanks for being there for me," Trixie muttered beneath her breath. "A magician is nothing without their stagehands. I almost forgot that…" Taking in a deep breath, Trixie lowered her checklist and faced back towards the stage. "Well then…"

"Ladies and gentleman! It's show time!"

Comments ( 13 )

Dammit, I got enough to read!

...

*Adds to list*

Brilliant read was worth the pain and suffering of using a 3ds to read. I am also assuming you are shipping Maud with Trixie?

6311172 Sorta, maybe, kinda...

Trixie's become a bit of a problem lately. In that I can't decide whether I ship her with Twilight, Rainbow Dash, or Maud... or all three at once...

Sometimes I like to make Maud and Trixie do the kissy-kiss, other times it's nice to simply have them be best buds :3 As far as this fic goes, I'm leaving it open for the reader to decide.

6311241 but don't you see the only real person that trixie could love is trixie

6313321 Even the Great and Powerful one can't reach her tongue THAT far.

6313722 then lucky for her there is a portal to an alternate universe just around the corner

6318104 Trixie may not be on Twilight 's level but she's not incompetent.

6364253 and despite all that, she's shown to be more than capable to go toe to toe with the rest. At least she doesn't need magic to win in a guitar duel.

And finished, and loved it. Trixie was quite the little sneak and badass, here. :D

Well, that was a little bit of a neat story, though Rainbow Rocks Trixie hardly struck me as being physically fit enough or a savant polymath to perform all the heists she did. Kind of odd you decided to post this all at once in one day. You plan on doing a third story post-Friendship Games now?

Sombra chuckled again, gathering Cadance and Chrysalis' attentions. "I know her. You should go."

"You know her?" Cadance asked.

"Yes. I must say, I'm quite a fan."

Guess this must be a reference to Equestria Trixie from Chasing Shadows

6311241 The Trixie story I have plotted out in my head ships her with an OC pegasus stallion to neatly sidestep all the fandom ships she's had. The key is that where Trixie presumably has wanderlust as a travelling magician, he has even more wanderlust, and a dash of desire for personal freedom too. 'Freedom Wings' is probably too on-the-head for a name :rainbowwild:

6510259

Well, that was a little bit of a neat story, though Rainbow Rocks Trixie hardly struck me as being physically fit enough or a savant polymath to perform all the heists she did.

Or maybe she only acted that way to throw people off their guards. A true magician never reveals all their cards at once, after all :raritywink:

Kind of odd you decided to post this all at once in one day. You plan on doing a third story post-Friendship Games now?

Naht really. I only did this one 'cause I wanted to do a Trixie phantom thief story, and the Dazzlings just worked well as the villains. I can't really think of any premise for Friendship Games to continue this series.

I posted it all in one day because I honestly wasn't sure whether or not I'd be able to complete this fic. I've been busy trying to land a secure job lately and haven't been feeling my best, which probably reflects in my writing quality as-of-late :S I wanted to ensure I had the whole thing written out before uploading, and decided to just throw it all up at once instead of in installments.

6311241 We could certainly use more Mauxie.

Great story. Love all the references. Though is the bid you adieu part a reference to something? I thought it was to Lupinranger vs Pataranger but this came out before that.

Login or register to comment