• Published 11th Aug 2015
  • 1,850 Views, 32 Comments

Chasing Thieves - Yukito



Sunset Shimmer and the FBI are on the hunt for the notorious Kaitou Moon, but another figure may be lurking in the shadows...

  • ...
5
 32
 1,850

11 - The Final Heist

Trixie popped open the air vent leading down into the store and poked her head inside, looking to the left, and then to the right. She jumped down and rolled behind a display case, taking out a pair of night vision goggles and glancing around the mall.

Trixie checked her clothing as she looked around, feeling every nook and cranny, before taking out a phone and punching in a number. It rang for a few seconds, before being picked up. "They haven't bugged our clothes," she said.

"Yeah. Seems we're safe to talk for now," Fuchsia Blush said on the other side. "Your window's closing. Get the jewels before security is back up. I'm keeping the Dazzlings distracted but I don't know how long it will last."

"Where's Lavender?"

"She's here with me. We're laying low in the church as you asked."

"Good. I'm going to cut the glass now." Trixie pulled a small diamond out of her cape and approached the display case that housed the night's targets – three glorious, opal-shaped jewels sat upon a cushion, one blue, one purple and one orange. Trixie clenched her teeth as she began to cut the glass with the diamond. "Rarity didn't want this back, right?"

"Just plant it on her sister. She's always taking Rarity's stuff."

A neat circle was cut into the glass, and Trixie slowly removed it so that it wouldn't drop and break. "Okay, now call Adagio on a secure line and tell her that I've been locked in and need help. Once she gets here I'll-"

A bang sounded through the air, and Trixie dropped her phone as she turned and fell to her knees, clutching her waist. "So that was your plan?" a voice asked through the darkness. "Lure me here into your trap?"

"W-Where are you?!" Trixie demanded, sweating bullets as she stared towards the entrance of the store.

"Here's how this is going to work," Adagio said. "You'll leave those jewels right there, and then leave the exact way that you came in. We'll spare you this one time, but consider this your final warning."

Trixie gritted her teeth, staring through her night vision goggles towards where Shining Armor was crouched ahead of her. 'There's no doubt that either Aria or Sonata are waiting to ambush me outside, but I can't just stay here when I can't see Adagio. What should I-' Trixie saw Shining Armor nod.

"Well?"

"A-Alright," Trixie said, putting the jewels back and slowly making her way back towards the air vent. She climbed upon a display case and then into the vent, leaving the store empty, save for the ominous figure lurking in the shadows.

Adagio Dazzle stepped out from behind one of the cases and approached the central display, reaching into the hole that Trixie had made and feeling the gems. Her eyes lit up. "Finally," she said, clutching the jewels and pulling them out. "Finally, I've found them…"

The lights came on, and Adagio gasped as she was swarmed by an army of suited men and women, all pointing their guns towards her. Leading them was Shining Armor, who shouted, "Drop your weapon and raise your hands! You're under arrest for conspiracy, theft, blackmail and attempted murder!"


Trixie climbed out of the vent on the mall's rooftop with a deep breath in, taking in the cool, fresh air of the outdoors. Her face was immediately greeted to rain and she removed her goggles as she looked around. She found Aria Blaze pointing her gun and raised her arms. "I figured this would happen."

"You're not too smart," Aria said. "Once we've silenced you, we'll track down your friends and deal with them, too. You should have just obeyed us." Aria grinned. "Though Adagio was planning to sell you off tonight anyway, so I suppose it doesn't really matter."

"How did you know we had crossed you?" Trixie asked, her eyes darting around to see if there was any cover that she could use.

"You should know better than to lie to a siren," Aria said. "We sirens are built upon lies. Our voices are lies. Our singing and our beauty, even our motives. We tell lies because we know what people want to hear, and then we betray when the time is right." A wicked grin crossed Aria's face. "Therefore, it's only natural that we can smell a lie from a mile away."

Trixie hummed. "That's sort of like us magicians, then." She noticed Aria's confused look and explained. "Us magicians, we live by telling lies. Our acts, our miracles, everything we show people, they are nothing more than illusions. If there was ever a creature that could lie to a siren and get away with it, it would be us. The difference between us is that we lie to spread cheer, not hate."

"You thrive on love and admiration, but we need negative energy in order to survive and grow stronger. I guess we were fated to be enemies, which is why it's only fitting that I kill you in the end."

"Y'know, it doesn't have to be this way," Trixie said. "Right about now, Adagio's been arrested by the FBI."

"What?"

"Oh, yeah, Trixie called in the FBI." Trixie grinned as she noticed Aria's hand shaking. "Also, Shining Armor is among them."

Aria's eyes shot wide-open. "H-He's alive?"

Trixie nodded her head. "Don't you realise what that means?"

"… What does it mean?"

"It means that you can't be charged with murder," Trixie explained. "Not unless you kill me right now. If you run, you might get away, and even if you get caught you still have a chance at a short sentence. Kill me, and you'll be looking at a life in jail."

"Shut up! You're bluffing! Adagio wouldn't trip up like that!"

"Believe what you want, but do you really want to take that chance?!"

"I won't turn my back on her! Adagio and I are a team!" Aria gripped her gun and steadied her hand. "No witnesses means I have to kill you! This is for her! For us!"

A pair of hands grabbed Aria from behind, pulling Aria's arm upwards as she fired a shot that rang through the air. "Drop your weapon!"

Trixie reached into her cape and threw a playing card at Aria's hand, causing her to release her gun. Running forwards, Trixie kicked the gun aside and looked into Aria's eyes. "It's over. You'll be charged with attempted murder, so I can't say that you lost entirely."

"Let me go! Who are you?!" Aria demanded.

"You don't remember me?" Sunset Shimmer asked, causing aria's to freeze. "What's wrong? I thought I was no threat you three. You know, the reason I let you go wasn't because I didn't fear you… It was because I was given a second chance, and wanted to extend that same courtesy to you. But your second chance has run out, and I don't believe in third chances."

"Thanks for the assist," Trixie said, circling Aria to meet Sunset's gaze. "Mysterious stranger."

"… Shining Armor explained the situation to me. I rushed here as fast as I could."

"SONATA! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" Aria screamed, startling the other two girls. "KILL THEM! KILL THEM BOTH AND FREE ME! SONATA, YOU TRAITOR!"

"Screaming will do no good," Sunset advised. "Your partner is-" A strong wind interrupted her, and the three turned to the side as a pair of bright lights blinded them. The lights dimmed, and a large helicopter entered their sights, with Chrysalis in the cockpit alongside a bound and gagged Sonata, looking down at Aria with a saddened gaze.

"N-No way…" Aria lowered her head, frightened and defeated. A hiccup escaped her mouth. "I-It can't e-end like this… Adagio, please… save us…"

Sunset's look softened, and she released the girl to put a hand on her shoulder. "Aria…"

Suddenly, the ground exploded ahead of them. Dust filled the area, forcing Trixie and Sunset back. "Pick yourself up, Aria."

"Impossible!" Trixie shouted.

"Impossible?" Adagio asked, followed by a laughter. She stepped forward, her body surrounded by a green aura as her feet walked on air. Around her neck was an orange, opal-shaped jewel, which was the source of the aura. "No. It's a miracle."