• Published 11th Aug 2015
  • 1,850 Views, 32 Comments

Chasing Thieves - Yukito



Sunset Shimmer and the FBI are on the hunt for the notorious Kaitou Moon, but another figure may be lurking in the shadows...

  • ...
5
 32
 1,850

4 - The Breakup

Trixie bit her thumb as she glared at her laptop’s screen, scrolling down the page of the Alicorn Amulet and then back up again, before switching to another tab of the museum that the amulet was held in. No matter what plans she came up with, the amulet seemed out of reach. “The security is too tight, and I doubt Fuchsia’s skills are enough to give me an open window…”

A foot stomped in front of Trixie, prompting her to look at the angry scowls of her friends, Fuchsia Blush and Lavender Lace. “You’re just keeping hold of the jewel, huh?” Fuchsia asked.

Trixie slowly closed her laptop and scooted backwards from her friends. “Y-Yeah. I’ve got it locked up in a safe place-”

“You might not want to tell such a blatant lie to a hacker. Or at the very least, don’t leave an electronic trail that is easy to follow!”

“I thought we agreed we weren’t in this to make money,” Lavender said in a disappointed tone. “You said it was just for the show, not to make a profit by stealing from the innocent.”

Trixie placed her laptop aside and stood up. “Okay, you caught me. But it’s all for a good cause, really!”

“Like fattening your own wallet?” Fuchsia asked.

“Like expanding our capabilities! With that money, we can put on even greater shows!”

“Our shows were already ‘great’ enough,” Lavender said. “You just wanted to make a quick buck, and then you lied to us about it!”

Trixie bit her lip. ‘N-No, that’s not it, I- … Actually, this might be a good chance…’ “… Yes, you are absolutely right,” Trixie said, much to the shock of her friends. “But is there really anything wrong with that? It’s not like we don’t work hard for the jewels that we steal.”

Fuchsia Blush grinded her teeth together and took a threatening step closer to Trixie. “We are not common thieves, and we aren’t going to be a part in this!”

Lavender nodded her head and added, “And to make matters worse, you lied to us and tried to keep us out of the loop.”

The two girls turned to leave. “We’re out,” Fuchsia said. “You’re on your own, and that goes for the band, too.”

“When you’re ready to be a real friend, come see us,” Lavender Lace finished as she stormed away with her friend out of the gymnasium.

As soon as the doors closed, Trixie sighed and slumped back down beside her laptop. “… You want out? That’s fine. In fact, it’s for the best.” Trixie smiled and reached for her laptop, opening it back up again. “You’ll be out of the way, and I’ll be just as capable without you! You’ll see!”

A spark appeared in Trixie’s eye as she caught something on the museum’s webpage. “Hello, vulnerability…”


The notice from Kaitou Moon arrived the following morning. News that she would attack the Alicorn Amulet took the FBI by surprise, as the thief had previously not dared something so heavily guarded as the national treasure being held in Washington, DC.

Shining Armor and Chrysalis were once again assigned to guarding the target of the heist, only this time, they were given much more support with which to do it. The museum seemed more like a warzone than anything else, and the public were forced far away from the site under the threat of being arrested on site.

Sunset Shimmer was in the debriefing room with Shining Armor, Chrysalis and Gilda when the fifth member of their team entered. Contained in a straightjacket and flanked by two armed agents was Sombra, former agent of the FBI, and former friend to the two senior agents in the room.

His hair had grown longer and unkempt, covering much of his face as its filthy ends split apart, and his scrawny, pale face revealed that he had been locked away from sunlight for some time. His lips were dry and cracked, and his eyes were bloodshot to the point of seeming irreparably damaged. Despite all of this, he was still able to smile.

“It’s been some time since I last saw you,” Sombra said to Shining Armor, his voice hoarse and almost a whisper. “You never visit me. I’m hurt.”

“Why is he here?” Sunset Shimmer demanded. “He tried to take over both our worlds, and nearly killed us in the process!”

“And why are you here?” Sombra asked the girl. “Is there a new intern program that involves bringing students to important cases?”

“Unless you’ve forgotten, I helped bring you in,” Sunset Shimmer replied through gritted teeth.

“Yes, and you are an impressive magician in Equestria,” Sombra acknowledged. “But that is where your powers end. In this world, you are a high school student with a bad attitude and a damaged reputation. That is all.”

“Enough,” Shining Armor spat. “Sombra, you understand why you’re here, right?”

Sombra nodded his head. “My case is a difficult one, and my abilities are not to be simply ignored. By helping out here, the Bureau is willing to put my case forth for appeal.”

“Then you’ll also know that your actions during this case will affect said appeal. Your words, too, so if I were you, I’d watch what I say.”

“You could always be thrown back to the ‘missing persons’ list, if you’d prefer,” Chrysalis suggested.

“Ahh, but then I would be isolated to my lonely little cell again, with naught but Cadance’s weekly visits to look forward to.”

Shining’s eyes shot open and her approached Sombra. “Cadance visits you?”

“You didn’t know? My, she does love to keep her secrets, doesn’t she? She says that she feels sorry for me, and wishes that we could go back to the way that things were.”

“We can never go back to the way things were,” Chrysalis said, casting a harsh glare. “Your betrayal is not something we can forget. Any bridges you once had were burned long ago.”

“Not my bridge with Cadance, apparently.”

Shining Armor grabbed Sombra by his collar and brought their faces close together. “I swear, if you go near her ever again-”

“Are you afraid? What could I possibly do in my current state?”

“…”

“Hey,” Gilda said, breaking through the tense atmosphere in the room. “I don’t know what kinda beef you have with this guy, but we’ve got a job to do.”

“Is that the security guard you guys liked to hang out with?” Sombra asked. “So you’re an agent, now. Congratulations.” Sombra looked around the room. “And what of Blueblood? Is he not going to grace us with his presence?”

“He’s busy with another case,” Gilda answered, stepping forwards to pull Shining Armor back. “Now shut up unless you got somethin’ to say about the heist.”

Sombra simply nodded his head, chuckling beneath his breath. Sunset Shimmer stepped forth and asked, “I just need to know: are your forces armed to kill?”

“… We requested to arm our troops with non-lethal weapons only, since Kaitou Moon has never harmed anyone,” Shining Armor said.

“Speak for yourself,” Chrysalis retorted, picking at her ears with a wince.

“But our request was denied,” Shining Armor continued. “I wasn’t permitted to know the details, but the Bureau stated that we absolutely cannot allow Kaitou Moon to steal the Alicorn Amulet. Therefore, our troops have been permitted to kill…”

“That’s barbaric!” Sunset Shimmer shouted.

“I’ve instructed my troops to save killing as a last resort, but I can't guarantee that they’ll obey.” Shining Armor turned to Sunset Shimmer, a serious look on his face. “That’s why I have an important job for you, somebody who doesn’t work for the Bureau.”

“… What is it?”


Trixie took in a deep breath, overlooking the museum in the distance as the sun began to set. It was nearing time for the show to start.

Suddenly, her phone range. Trixie reached into her pocket and pulled out the device. The number was not a known one, but she answered regardless. “Hello?”

“Trixie, it’s me,” Sunset Shimmer said on the other end. “I’ve got a favour for you. Don’t go through with your heist tonight.”