• Published 31st May 2012
  • 5,769 Views, 205 Comments

Wings for a Pony: Becoming Mommy - Brawney Hooves



Rainbow Dash learns what it means to be a mother as she raises her adopted son Clay.

  • ...
7
 205
 5,769

Epilogue: Sweet as Cider

It was finally here. The time of the year that Rainbow Dash looked forward to more than anything else, cider season. She relished in the taste that was only available during that special time of year, and everypony knew that nothing would stop her until she got a mug. . . normally. The problem was that every year, no matter how early she got there, Pinkie Pie would get ahead of her first and buy a ridiculous amount of cider. Dash was pretty sure by now that it had something to do with Pinkie Sense.

Today she had even less chance of obtaining cider, as she had to drop Clay of at school. Still it was worth a shot. They had just reached the front of the school building and dash planned to head straight from there over to Applejack's.

“Now behave for Miss Cheerilee, and pay attention. Okay squirt?” Dash looked down at the slightly tired colt.

“I will, Mommy. I *yawn* promise.” Clay gave his mother a goodbye hug and then walked off to meet up with his friend Dinky.

Dash watched on for a few minutes, reflecting on how much Clay had grown over the years. She felt a deep sense of pride that she had gotten him this far in life.

Hello Rainbow! Cider season! Now! Dash shook her head as her inner voice shouted at her.

Rainbow Dash flew off into the sky and headed over to Sweet Apple Acres as fast as she could. Within minutes she could see the farm perched on top of the hill and a small stand where Applejack would sell her heavenly cider.

“Please don’t be long. Please don’t be long. Please don’t be…” She stopped and her eyes widened in horror as she saw a line from the small stand all the way down the hill. But what really upset Dash was the fact that once again Pinkie was at the front of the line.

“How…how does she keep doing this!?” Dash groaned and landed on the ground, and taking her place in line. “This is going to suck.” Dash muttered as she saw Pinkie walking past her with at least twelve tankards of cider.

The line moved at a snail’s pace, and as time passed more and more barrels of cider were replaced by Big Mac. Finally it was almost her turn and for once there was still a spare barrel left which meant that for the first time in years Rainbow would finally get a cup of her favorite beverage. There were just three ponies ahead of her, then two, then one. Her mouth began to water in anticipation as she imagined the sweet fluid in her mouth, but in the distance she heard the school bell ring and she knew what that meant.

“Oh no. No. It can’t be time to pick up Clay already.”

As if to answer the bell rang again.

She couldn’t believe it. She was so close only to have her desire ripped away from her.

“One cup, just one cup. Is that too much to ask for?” Dash grumbled as she saw that it was her turn.

“You're next, RD. It's right here waitin’ for ya.” Applejack said happily.

Dash looked to the stand, then the school in the distance. As she was being torn from choosing she gritted her teeth in frustration and turned to Applejack. “Sorry AJ…I’ve got to get Clay.”

Applejack looked stunned at first knowing how much Rainbow Dash loved her apple cider, but then she smiled and gave a small nod as Dash launched into the sky.

Rainbow Dash landed at the school entrance and immediately spotted Clay sitting on the steps with his saddle bags. Clay ran over and gave her a loving hug and looked up at her, seeing her disappointment.

“What’s wrong, Mommy?” Clay asked.

“Oh, I just didn’t get any cider that’s all.” Clay looked at his mother as if he was thinking, and then he ran off to his saddle bag. He picked up a cup sitting next to it, and brought it over to her.

“What’s this?” Dash asked curiously as Clay held out the tankard.

“It’s a cup of Aunt Applejack’s cider.”

Dash raised an eyebrow. “How could you have gotten a cup of cider when you were at school all day?”

“Aunt Pinkie Pie came over while I was waiting for you to pick me up, and I asked if I could have one of her cups and she said yes.”

Dash looked at the cup, and then to Clay. “Honey… I can’t drink this it’s yours.”

Clay shook his head. “I want you to have it, Mommy. I keep hearing how much you like it and you never get any of it, so I got it for you.”

Clay brought the cup closer to Dash smiling broadly.

Dash looked at the cup again and took it in her hoof. She hesitated at first, but soon she brought it to her lips and was met with the sweetest tasting cider she had ever had. Her lips curled into a smile as she slowly gulped the beverage before removing it from her mouth to lick her lips.

“Is it good mommy?” Clay asked excitedly.

“It’s the best thing ever!” Dash said still smiling.

“Wow I can’t wait to try some myself.” Dash frowned slightly knowing all too well that there wouldn’t be any cider for Clay until tomorrow.

She looked back down at the tankard and saw that it was still half full. She then looked to Clay and then smiled. “How about we share it?”

Clay’s eyes widened in excitement and he shook his head as Dash handed him the mug.

Clay took a few careful sips, testing the taste. After a few seconds he licked his lips and took another larger sip.

“Wow! This the best drink ever!” Clay shouted happily as he handed the tankard over to his mother.

“I know, right?” Dash took a few gulps and sighed happily.

“Hey Mommy, can you take me over to the park so I can play?”

“Sure thing, Squirt. It’s the least I can do since you got me some cider.”

Clay picked up his saddle bag and walked alongside his mother as they headed for the park where he met Dinky and played a short game of tag while Dash sat and watched. Making sure to not take her eyes off of him this time.


Celestia's sun began to set as Clay and Dash sat on top of a hill taking in the beauty of the scene. Clay snuggled up to her and looked to the sunset.

“I like the sunset Mommy…it’s so pretty.”

Dash looked down at Clay smiling. “Yeah…it is pretty isn’t it?”

Clay rested his head in her side and sighed happily. “Mommy.”

“Yes Clay?”

“Do you love me more than cider?”

Dash chuckled as she looked at him. “You are sweeter than any cider Applejack could make.”

Clay smiled and nuzzled Rainbows side as he started to shut his eyes.

“Mommy.” Clay said sleepily.

“Hmmm.” Dash replied, feeling tired herself.

“Do you think that maybe someday…I could fly like you?”

Dash looked at the sleeping colt by her side and smiled. “I’m sure that if you want it bad enough… some day you will fly like me.”

Clay was now lying down on all fours with a big smile on his face. “Thanks Mommy.”

Dash smiled with dreamy eyes.“You’re welcome, sweetie.”

Dash rested on her front next to Clay and draped her wing over him like a blanket, and rested her head as she pulled Clay closer to her.

As she watched Clay sleep she began to remember the day she found him, and how at the time it seemed like she had made the biggest mistake of her life. But now as she saw him sleeping peacefully under her wing and felt the warmth from the sun on her face, she realized that Clay was the most important and happiest decision she had ever made. The start had been rough and she doubted herself once in a while, but she wouldn’t trade that day she found Clay for anything in all of Equestria. After all she was his mommy now, and forever.



THE END

Comments ( 50 )

743576 Hey dont be sad. We still have Clays story in Wings for a Pony.

AH MANLY TEARS SHED :fluttershbad:

URRRAAAAAA!!!

The party is pleased with the outcome, comarade writer

Wow. Hang on, this story, RD becomes a mother and does a great job, barring a couple of slip-ups which are learned from. Another story by a different person had Fluttershy as the mother, and that goes well for absolutely no-one. Maybe due to the nature of Flutter (not so shy anymore)'s spawn...
Anyway, does that mean that any of the mane 6 would be close to the opposite of the quality of parenting expected of them?

744925 Uh... I dont know I think any of them would make good mothers, they would just take different approch to raising them.

744950 RD is a better parent than I expected. In some other person's story, Fluttershy becomes a parent to a monster, and becomes one herself. What they normally are, is completely different than their parent selves. So, what does that make the others as parents?

745004 So what did you think of the story?

745023 Excellent! And it made me realise RD can be a good parent, too, which could be useful. But back to the point, excellent!

745031 Well now you just have to read Wings to see the result.

745041 That I do, but I've already read all you have posted of that so far.

745058 I am trying to post two more chapters soon as my proofreader sends them back whih is proving difficult right now and I do apologize for that.

745084 No need for apologies. In fact, I'm going to make a change to my bio. It sounds unrelated, by be patient, you'll see... that reference had to be done.

Riz

747708

Go to the link.:twilightblush:

My second favorite story ever

So... much...
DDDAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW :rainbowkiss:

Review time!
This was quite well done. The development of Clay's relationship with Rainbow was well done, and believable. The jumps in time were given enough explanation, and I don't feel like I missed anything major because of those time jumps. The pacing was really well done.
The back story provided by Wings of a Pony provided enough information for this to make sense, and so it works quite well. My only complaint is that, without Wings of a Pony this wouldn't make sense. But you stopped that by the note in the description.

Plot Development: 10/10 Pacing was really good, and it flowed quite nicely.
Character Development: 9/10 The characters came across as believable, and I like how you wrote them
Grammar, and Spelling: 9/10 I didn't really see anything too awful. In fact, I saw very little wrong in this regard.
Accuracy to Canon Material: 9/10 With the material that has been presented you did a very good job here. Everything that happened seems like it could actually happen with what's happened in the show so far.
Overall: 37/40 That's a 92.5. Excellent work. I really liked this, and I hope that you continue to write at this level.

750709 Actually Clay is two years old. think of each chapter like a year and thats how old he is.

759207 So just regenerate its no big deal for a timelord.

stumbles around the room, knocking stuff over

Oh god...no...Not now.... My hearts....They blew up...

*looks at author with scared eyes*

I....
I don't want to go!

---
TheTardis-"ThE doCtor Will return AfteR this Regeneration, pleAse hold...}

759270 I know... but who knows maybe you'll be ginger this time?

759223 Actually, Timelords can only regenerate twelve times. The thirteenth death is permanent.

759283 How far have you gotten with Wings for a Pony?

759296 I've Actually read them both, all the way through, today. In fact, I just graduated so I'm having an "All I can Stand MLP Fanfiction marathon"!

.....I'll probably be at it for a while....

759438 Well you'll see some references to Doctor Who in Wings for a Pony. I hope people get the start of chapter 7.

I just read through the whole story, and sweet Celestia it was adorable :pinkiesad2:

877646 Thanks. Dont forget to read Wings for a Pony to see the rest.

Finally got around to reading this. Not bad, I say. Good job.

Some grammar errors, but meh, didn't affect the story.

:fluttercry: the tears! why the tears! awesome job man.

Why does this make me cry so? Wait a minute, dammit! Your fic made me realize I'm... Sensitive. :fluttercry:

I only shed tears at two things when reading
1.:rainbowkiss:bonding
2.:fluttercry:bonds being broken(death,brakeups,grief)

1609639 I tend to focus on my own characters, but I can put them in more often in my future stories.

1610067 any advice for a first time story writer?

1610194 Write down everything you think of. Then go over your ideas until you decide which one you like best. If something really speaks to you like the Wings series did to me, then write it.

2162644

pulls out another laptop

how do u even getta pic on ere?

I like the story. You should make more. The 8th story could be that Twilight finds a special spell in the library that can make permanent feathered wings, but if you want the wings, you have to eat a worm or something ridiculous like that.
Am just new on fimfiction. Can i ask you please how to add a picture here? :scootangel:

You took my feels and put them in a P.O.W camp for this entire story, CURSE YOU! :fluttercry:

You magnificent man you, how could I be mad at you :pinkiesad2:

Seriously an amazing story, one of my Favorite on the site :rainbowdetermined2:

This here is my all time favorite fanfic. I love the relationship between Rainbow and little Clay in this story and Clay as little one is just so adorable. Thank you for writing such a beautiful story.

And the sequel story was just as satisfying as the first story was. You really have a wonderful way of writing deeply emotional moments in ways that bring out the smiles and tears from your readers, my friend. Peace.

2177341 If you want a picture added for your avatar, find one that you like, right click and select save as. Once you save it go to your profile and select avatar. There should be a button that says upload image or something. Select the image and it should be uploaded. Hope that helps.

LISTEN TO THIS WHEN THEY ARE IN THE PARK AT THE END OF THE CHAPTER. DO IT.

DO IT FILLY.

Some way it made me cry, Just because of the love between a son/daughter and a mommy is very strong and no matter what everything will have a better ending,:rainbowkiss: SO AWESOME

Login or register to comment