• Published 31st May 2012
  • 5,757 Views, 205 Comments

Wings for a Pony: Becoming Mommy - Brawney Hooves



Rainbow Dash learns what it means to be a mother as she raises her adopted son Clay.

  • ...
7
 205
 5,757

Life Changes

Rainbow Dash was soaring through the air, enjoying the wind in her face. Her ears however were filled with the sound of childish laughter from the colt that was secured safely in her saddle bag. Dash was now the mother of an abandoned earth pony she found in the Everfree Forest, which she had decided to name Clay. She wasn’t too happy with the idea, but she couldn’t stand the thought of leaving the child at Ponyville orphanage, and her friends had their own families to take care of. So the responsibility fell on her shoulders whether she wanted it or not.

Dash was not looking forward to what this would mean for her, between cutting into her exercise and training, and the time she would spend outside. Not to mention that she was still missing her cloud home, she had to move out since the little pony couldn’t even live with her unless she moved to the ground.

She hated the whole thing, she was starting to feel tied to the ground between her new less awesome home and the foal in her care. Flying was in her blood, she needed the wind under her wings, and the thought of being on the ground and watching an infant was stressful to the pegasus. Thankfully she could still fly when she really needed it, and to her surprise the baby actually seemed to enjoy flying with her. Dash was used to earth ponies wanting to keep their hooves on the ground, so the fact that Clay actually wanted to be with her in the sky was a relief.

Feeling like she got her fix, Dash descended to the ground and began trotting to Sweet Apple Acres to talk with Applejack. She found the cowpony doing what she did best, bucking apples from the orchards.

“Careful AJ, you don’t want to pull something!”

“Hardy har har.” Applejack said mockingly.

Dash walked up to her friend, as Applejack wiped her brow and looked to the pegasus. “So what brings you here, Rainbow? Need some cider?”

She shook her head. “No, I just needed some air time is all. Plus Clay was having trouble sleeping.”

“What's that got to do with anything?”

“You wouldn’t believe it, but the only thing that will put this little guy to sleep is if I take him flying.”

“Well that’s odd.” Applejack said, raising an eyebrow.

“Yeah. I don’t mind though, he goes to sleep and I get some flying in.”

“Well I’m glad you found somethin' that works for both of ya'.”

Applejack was starting to head back to the barn when Rainbow spoke. “Wait! There is another reason I came here.”

“And that is?”

“Spitfire wants me at Cloudsdale, and Twilight's in Canterlot. I was hoping you could watch Clay while I’m gone?”

“Why of course Rainbow, I’d love tah take care of the little young'un.”

“Thanks, I’ll be back at six!” She handed Clay off to Applejack and started to fly away when they both heard a small whine. The two fillies looked to see baby Clay awake and reaching his two front hooves to Dash. “I’ll be back kid, I promise.”

With that, Dash flew into the air heading towards Cloudsdale. As Dash disappeared Clay began to cry, large tears falling down his face.

“Shhhh. It’s okay Clay momma’s comin' back soon. In the meantime you get to spend time with yer Aunt Applejack.” As Applejack comforted Clay he stopped crying, but was still sniffling slightly.

“Besides,” She went on, “She can’t be gone too long, right? She said she’d be back at six and its three right now. She’ll be back before you know it.”

8 Hours Later:

“I’m goin' to kill Rainbow when she gets back.” Applejack muttered as she sat outside with Clay in her front legs as he slept soundly for the first time in hours. The night sky was making it hard for Applejack to see, but eventually she saw a Pegasus silhouetted across the moon.

Dash came down gracefully and approached the earth pony. “Thanks AJ, you’re a lifesaver.”

“Where the hay have you been?”

“Well first I had to do training with the Wonderbolts, like always, and then…”

“Then what?” Applejack snapped, obviously irritated.

“Then we headed out for a party! You know how I like a good party.”

“You stayed there for five hours, when you knew darn well ya had a foal waitin' for you back at the farm!”

“I tried to leave early, but then Soarin came up and…we started talking and we had a few drinks.”

Applejack glared at Dash. “Rainbow, bein' a mother is about thinkin' about somepony other than yourself. This colt needs a mother and if you aren’t gonna take this seriously, I’ll have to take him.”

Dash’s eyes widened, and a smile formed on her face. “Really, you’d do that? Thanks AJ, you're the best friend a filly could have.”

Applejack blinked. “Now wait just a doggarn minute! You agreed to be this foal’s mother. I promise to help, Rainbow, but you have tah hold your end of the bargain.”

“Just because I “agreed” to be this kids mom doesn’t mean I can’t have fun every once in a while!”

“No, but yah can’t just ignore him completely. He can’t take care of himself yet, Dash. He needs you to help him.”

“Well it’s not my fault that he was abandoned! I just found him and brought him to safety, how is this my responsibility?”

“He became your responsibility the moment you said yes!”

“Only because you guys pressured me into doing it, by saying that it had to be me!”

“Yah could have said no!”

“Well, I’m saying no now. I don’t want him!”

“There is no way in Equestria that you are just dumpin' this foal on me, Rainbow, just because you don’t wanna be responsible!”

“Well, I’m not letting him go to that orphanage, so it has to be either you or one of the others!”

“Why can't yah just think of somepony else for a change!”

“BECAUSE I DON’T WANT TO MESS HIM UP!”

The two ponies fell silent for the first time in a minute and looked at each other, startled.

“Why would you think that you would mess him up, Sugarcube?” Applejack asked, even more surprised to see tears filling Rainbows eyes.

“I…I…I don’t want to screw up his life, AJ.” Dash sat down on her haunches and continued to cry. “I…I know I’m not the motherly type. Let’s face it, if I have to choose between going out with Soarin and changing diapers, I’m going with the date. What if…what if I do something stupid and he gets sick or hurt? I don’t…I don’t know if…”

The tears came more steadily as Applejack walked over and sat next to Dash. “Rainbow…I know bein' a mom can be scary, shoot I felt like mah own mother when I was rasin' Applebloom. It was all happenin' so fast I thought I was never goin' to be able to enjoy myself again. And I know that your own experiences with parenting haven’t been the most pleasant. But let me tell you that if you are this concerned for the baby's future and health, then ah say you’re already on the right track.”

Dash looked to Applejack, wiping the tears from her face. “But…what if I can’t handle it? What if it becomes too much, and I just drop him off someplace with nothing but a note? What if I become like my dad and just leave and never come back?”

She buried her face in her hooves hiccupping slightly.

“You won’t, because ah know you won’t. You’re the element of loyalty, and ah know you’re going to raise that foal to be a fine stallion one day.” She placed a hoof on Rainbows shoulder. “And if you do decide to leave him I’ll be right there to set you straight.”

Dash looked to her friend and smiled. “Thanks, AJ.”

“You’re welcome.” As the two fillies exchanged smiles, Clay woke up and began to whine slightly. “Ah think he wants his momma.”

She handed Clay over to Dash who cradled him with her two front legs. “Hey Clay. You ready to go home?”

The baby giggled in response. Dash placed Clay into her saddle bag and placed it on her back, spreading her wings. “Thanks AJ I really owe you one.”

“Just takin' care of that baby will be enough thanks.”

Dash nodded and took off into the night sky, leaving Applejack watching them disappear.

“You can do it Rainbow…I know you can.” Applejack tilted her Stanton hat and began walking back to the barn to get some well-earned rest. Back in Ponyville a rainbow pegasus with her earth pony colt were doing the same.