• ...
4
 27
 1,247

Hell...

Chapter 35


The first rock we hid behind had been pulverised by the constant rattling of the minigun wielding spider at the other end of the battlefield. Sam and Ana fired shot after shot at the creature to no avail. No matter what we throw at the creature, it just shrugged it off like it was nothing.

“How are we going to beat this?” Tim asked over the chipping of stone as the bullets whittled it down.

“Tony!” I shouted over to the other two to our right. He shifted as he pulled the tube off of his back and pointed it at the machine. The quiet thump of the launcher was followed by an extremely fast blue projectile. It collided with the opposing force, annihilating it and showering the environment in metal and blood.

“Wow…” Tim said quietly.

I activated my radio broadcaster. “Sam, areas clear,” I spoke into it.

The portal behind us rippled as guardsponies streamed in. They really need lasrifles. They took up positions behind the rocks, a perimeter being created. The radio crackled as Sam spoke. “Alright, the princesses are coming through.”

No sooner had that been said did the regal sisters step through. As they looked around, their faces gave looks of disgust. “Don’t be mean to the demons, this is their home,” I said as I approached them.

“This feels like a trap,” Luna spoke up.

“Probably is.”

“And you’re just going to walk into it?” Celestia asked.

“Hell yeah!” I span around and started walking to the temple thing, where the power cables are going. “Guy’s, cover me.” I didn’t really expect them to.

As I got closer the huts to the sides opened up, revealing little baby things. With the upper body of a human baby and the rest being giant fly bits, they’re ugly as shit.

“It’s a trap!” A random guardspony who sounded similar to THAT guy said.

“No shit!” I shouted back as the swarm fell upon me, trying to slap me with their hands, or rather claws. The little baby things had claws as well, apparently. They covered me, limiting my movement and slashing at my armour. Their sudden screams indicated that they were being shot off of me. When only 4 remained, I flailed my way out of their grip, bringing their bodies down onto the floor before stomping one in the face. The rest tried to get back to scratching me but were promptly shot in the face.

“Oh god, I just killed a baby…” I heard Ana say.

“Harden up, it’s just a demon baby thing,” I heard Cloe reply.

“I found that fun,” Tim joined in.

“Shut it about babies bro’s,” I tried to tell them.

“You guys are sick.”

“Come on guys-“

“No we’re not!”

“I said SHUT UP!” …That worked at least. An explosion later and I was on the floor, hearing the gargled roar of my assailant. As I got up, a laser line appeared over my head and striking the demon down. I never got a chance to see what it was but I did get to see its backup.

A pair of four legged spiders stood mere meters away from me. A sort of brain with stubby arms sat inside it, moving levers with professional ease. Its case mounted gun swung to face me before I even began to move. I jumped to the side as it fired, the bolt of energy swished past my face as I dived for the nearest rock. I didn’t make it. Instead I pulled my shotgun on them and fired. A shimmering red field suddenly appeared around them, protecting them from my wrath.

Of course they have energy shields.

I crawled as fast as possible to the rock I dived at, whispers filling the world as several swirls appeared in the air. A sudden crack and the undersides of said swirls widened, dropping demons onto the floor. The guardsponies began shouting over the demons screeching before blows were exchanged. The spider things stood at the front, protecting their friends when the magic began to fly. I fired another shot at it when it started shooting. This time it’s stupid shield didn’t stop it, letting me hit it in the face. The creature that perched itself in the machine flailed about as its face was ravaged by shotgun rain, sending the spider chassis on its side before the creature itself exploded spectacularly. Magic continues to fly at them from downrange, putting down the imps unprotected by the second spider. Now’s my chance.

I vaulted over the rock I used for cover and ran for the temple while the ponies and demons fought. “Where are you going?!” someone shouted on the radio.

“The temple,” I said simply as I bolted past spawning demons. The remains of the giant spider laid to the side of a door of equal size, leaving a pretty messy sight on the way in. When I got through, I saw the power source. A big box humming with energy sat right next to the door. Strips of blue lights ran down its sides, meeting perpendicularly to another line leading to a terminal attached to its side. That was easy.

“Guys, I found it,” I say through my broadcaster. Before I could study the controls of the terminal and find a big red button, a group of demons streamed in from the giant temple doors. I shot them down effortlessly.

I turned back to the terminal and began to read it. Surprisingly, it’s in english and not some stupid demonic moon speak. So, running at 80%? Let’s turn that up to over 9000. It only reached 101%.

The thing began screaming warnings at me. Apparently turning it up any more will activate the auto shutdown. That just won’t do, I want to blow this up. A sound to my left told me to shoot there. The sound of a screaming demon followed by a click told me all I needed to know. I reloaded the rifle while studying the controls. Then the red button appeared.

I did a short search in the terminal for what the red button does as the fight outside raged harder. At least they’re too stupid to try and stop me. Upon its completion, the screen displayed a wall of text.

The Red Button is used as the self-destruct safety function.
Upon use the system instantly activates the self-destruct protocol, giving all nearby personnel one minute to leave the blast radius of 60 metres. This function is only to be used to keep the Plasma technology inside this device away from the competition or enemy hands.

Ok then. Light fuse, run away. I got this.

“Have you found a way to destroy the power source,” Sam asked over the waves. “The demons are pushing us back.”

“Yup, light fuse run away.”

“Meaning…”

“Get everyone back through the portal,” I tell him. “I will have one minute to run my way to the portal before everything explodes.”

“Ok.”

I looked out the door to the portal. It was 100 metres away, all of which was crawling with things that want to eat my face. It could be worse. It could be impossible. The ponies were evacuating through the portal, followed by the princesses. Why are they going through last?

“Alright, they’re all here, or whoever survived,” Tim told me.

“Good, also tell the princess I’m sorry.”

“Why?” He asked

“Just in case.”

I turned to the power generator. I then punched the red button and ran. The doors were already open when I ran through, only to be met by an army of demons. I charged through the legion in front of me, pushing the creatures to the side and holding down the trigger as they all tried to grab me. One of them did and as a treat, got decked in the face. 40 seconds and 50 metres left and the radio went off.

“Luna wants to know where you are.”

“Not now, Tony,” I said, still ducking and pushing my way through the imps. Unfortunately one tripped me.

Luna suddenly appeared out of nowhere, firing a laser beam at the assailing demons. They were swept away and turned to ash near instantly. She seemed to be careful where she was aiming, making sure to miss me. That was, until she was hit. I spun and fired the entirety of my munitions at the offender before I turned to see her on the ground.

“You alright?” I asked, a little panicky as I ran to her.

“I’m fine,” she said, shifting and trying to stand but failing, her left hind leg burnt half way down. I helped her up, providing support for her as I continued my run to the portal, albeit a lot slower now. The portal spat magic and bullets past us. At least I have a little help. With a meagre distance left to traverse, I let a smile cross my face. We were going to make it.

I could hear their encouragement over the sound of battle, though I don’t understand-

Then the plasma generator exploded, the shockwave sending us towards the portal…

And onto the stone floor. I looked up, expecting to see a familiar face but instead all I saw was stone and metal. I got to my feet, bringing Luna with me. As I saw we were stuck in this hellhole, my right eye twitched…

“Fffffff…”

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment