• ...
4
 27
 1,247

Guard Schooling

Chapter 22


I awoke again, this time in the comfort of a bed. I looked around bland basement and noticed everyone else was already up. “Good morning,” I greeted as I landed on my hooves.

“It’s not morning.”

“What?!” I snapped to attention and bolted up the stairs. When I reached the top, six ponies that were sitting around the central table jumped up at my sudden appearance. They just happened to be the ponies I wanted to talk to

“Please warn us before you do that,” Rarity said, letting out a sigh.

“Sorry bout that,” I say before walking over to Pinkie. “I must apologise profusely for what I did yesterday.”

Pinkie looked confused for a moment before realising what I was on about. “Oohhh, don’t worry about that,” she surprisingly replied cheerfully.

“…What?”

“Yeah, Rarity told me that you disappeared and I was mad so we all went out to look for you and saw you with Tim and Tony and Cloe and Luna and that you were planning to stay up and keep Luna company and that was reeealy nice, so we watched you and the others go to a clearing and have a camp fire and a little party just for Luna!”

“…wow.” She can talk.

“And then we were had to get back to our party and finish it but Twilight thought that she should stay and watch out for you and all.”

“Wait, what?” Ok, I’m scared now. I really hope she saw nothing. Twilight, however, had a smile that says she saw everything.

“So what happened after we left?” Pinkie asked, having just finished talking.

“I don’t wanna talk about it,” I answer, backing up uncomfortably. Please don’t go there.

“I know what happened,” Twilight announced, a sly smile on her face.

“Please don’t tell them!” I pleaded. “I don’t wanna be endlessly asked questions about it!”

She pointed a hoof at me. “You were getting close to the princess last night.”

“Wait, what?!” I heard everypony shout in surprise.

“I knew he was getting in with Luna!” Sam shouted loudly, getting some laughs from ten other ponies. Damn, they just had to walk up the stairs now.

“This is gold!” I heard Spike join in.

“Great, now everyone knows.” I sighed in defeat, very hard defeat.

“Everypony,” Cloe corrected me again.

“Spikes a dragon, my statement is correct.”

“Who cares about that, how are you and Luna?” Rarity asked.

“I ain’t gonna answer that,” I answer stubbornly. They won’t get answers that easy.

“Aw but what am I going to tell everypony else?”

“Nothing!”

“Aw, you can tell us,” Tim joined in.

“No I can’t.”

“”Pleease?” Cloe pleaded for answers.

“Hey guys, lay off him,” Rainbow interrupted, Applejack jumping to help her. “We shouldn’t be pushing him to tell us.”

“Aw, but aren’t you just a little curious?” Rarity replied.

“Ah may be a mite curious, but that don’t mean ah have tha right to jus’-” Applejack never finished before I interrupted.

“You know what, I’m gonna go do what I am supposed to do today and teach some guards how to war,” I say as I stormed out the front door. I ain’t putting up with that. Now where is that town hall…

The guards waited patiently as I stood before them, like last time just without the backup. The town hall was populated by the same 30 guards today. Aegis and Chirp were also attending, surprisingly. Maybe they want more hard criticism.

“So you ponies are back for some more training?” I asked rhetorically, maintaining the constant scowl I’ve had since the talk earlier. “Well we’re gonna be doing something different today.”

I walked towards the door before beginning to yell. “Move it!”

As the guards formed up outside the hall, I announced my plan. “We’re going for a little run to a suitable spot, try to keep up.” And then I ran.

The pounding sound of hooves followed me the entire way to our destination, the edge of the Everfree Forest. The guards were keeping up better than expected, telling me that there has been some improvement. I ceased running and turned around as the forest’s edge came into view. “Alright, this is our stop.”

The guards returned to an orderly formation before I continued. “Today we will be doing combat training.”

“Wait, how?” I heard a white, generic looking guard call out.

“Well, Generic looking dude, we’re doing target practice, interception exercises and full contact sparring.”

“What!” They all shouted out in surprise.

I walked over to a tree about 30 metres away from the group and slapped a hoof on it. “This here is your target, unicorns,” I announce to the group of assorted ponies. “Try and hit it from there.”

All the unicorns in the group smirked and murmured to their peers something before one of them took a step forward, horn glowing with energies. The pony lowered his head, taking aim with his horn before releasing a bolt of energy at the tree. It flew through the air at a comparable speed to plasma before hitting the ground.

I laughed, almost falling onto my face at the display of skill I just witnessed. “What was that?!” I said, still laughing hysterically. “That’s pathetic!”

Through my teary eyes, I saw the unicorn walk back into the group, grumbling at my blatant criticism. I finally got up and leaned against a different tree as others stepped forward, trying to hit the tree I told them to. Many failed, missing by a mere centimetre or two while a fraction got a direct hit. After some watching, I noticed the many ways that they could improve and reasons that they were missing so much.

“Here’s some advice,” I began as I stepped towards the group. “All of you are leaning your head so far forward you can’t aim at all, try finding a head position that lets you aim as well as shoot.”

Many of them took this advice to heart and started to look for a suitable head position. I smiled before walking off. Can’t let the others slack off now can I? “Alright, everypony else pair up.”

All the pegasi and earth ponies looked confused for a moment before pairing up. They seemed to be pairing up thinking that they’re gonna be a team. The faster and more agile pegasi paired up with the stronger, harder hitting earth ponies. I noticed that the two ponies that I actually know the names of have paired up. I grinned at this. “Congratulations, you just chose your sparring buddy.”

“What?!” They all shouted out in surprise.

“You think that I’m gonna put you in two on two practise?”

“Well-”

“Well I wasn’t, now get into fighting stances,” I instructed, “You all need to learn how to fight in the heat of combat.”

“What if we refuse?” another generic looking dude asked sternly.

“You all get a one on one with me.”

At this they all entered a fighting stance, readying themselves for training. I grinned at the overpowered threatening skills I had. The unicorns were still going at it as I shouted the instruction to begin…

2 hours of training had left the guardsponies with little to no energy to go on with. As I finished concluding todays training, the guards began the trek to town, many with bruises covering a majority of their body. As the last guard left I began my journey to the library, thinking about the sort of inventive shit the others have come up with but was stopped by a unicorn stallion standing in my way.

“What is it?” I asked, irritated at the interruption to my thoughts. I looked up to see someone extremely important. “Hi captain.”

“What were you doing to my guards?” Captain Shining Armour asked threateningly.

I just smiled at his intimidation attempt. “Teaching,” I answered.

The Captain scowled at my answer. “Does this teaching involve beating them senseless?”

“Eyyup.”

“Why!”

“Do you want to be able to protect yourselves in the coming war?”

This caught him by surprise. “I won’t be here all the time, I have a job to do, friends to get home.” I poked him with my hoof. “Your home is under attack by a threat that I have only ever seen in a video game,” I continued. “They are the third worst thing conceived by the human mind, next to heretics and OP aliens.”

Shining lowered his head in resignation. “So you need to train the guards to be able to take them on,” he said.

“See, you’re getting it now,” I smiled. “Now I have to get to the library to face whatever your sisters gonna throw at me.” I began to walk again, the smile on my face turning into a frown. I am gonna have a bad time.

“Wait, you know Twilight?” The Captain asked me as he began walking with me.

“Yup, been staying in her basement with my friends for the last three days.”

“What did you do to make her angry?”

“Nothing, she just knows something that I didn’t want anyone else to know and she told everyone.”

He grinned as I continued. “I gotta see this.” I groaned at his comment.

We reached the library without incident. I took a deep breath as we approached the door. When I opened the door, my situation suddenly looked far worse than before.

“Hello,” Celestia greeted me.

“I am hating life so much…”