• ...
4
 27
 1,247

School's out

Chapter 31


“Clear the way!” I shout at the occupants of the basement as Sam brought the injured pegasus to the only empty bed. Twilight rushed in, saw the sight and a look of shock pasted itself on her face. She shook herself and I knew not to be in her way. Unfortunately for me, she ran at me and slammed me into the ground. The floor felt less painful than dirt at least.

“What happened!” she screamed at me, tears already forming in her eyes. Shit just got harder.

I took a deep breath, prepared my body and told the truth. “She was hit, flame cannon round between the wings.”

She hit me. “Why couldn’t you protect her!”

No, I ain’t taking this. “I tried!” I shouted back as I flung her off of me and into a wall. “I’m not a god, I can’t choose who gets hurt and who doesn’t.”

That shut her up, or maybe the wall did. At least she was quiet long enough for me to think of something.

“Sam, how is she?” I asked him without turning my head away from the distraught unicorn.

She won’t last without help,” Sam answered grimly. Watching your favourite pony die isn’t easy.

I kneeled in front of Twilight, my head level with hers. “Now moping about the past doesn’t help anyone, plus I’m pretty sure that you know medical magic.”

Her face brightened, and I smiled. “Show me how good you are.”

She got up and rushed over to Fluttershy and got to work. I knew that would do it. I left the room, Twilight the medic getting to work on helping one of her closest friends. The library itself was still intact, surprisingly. The books were not too damaged, considering what just happened. The attacks had stopped, giving us some breathing room. The adrenalin was wearing off. I found a corner near the door, pulled out my shotgun and just sat down.

“Hey,” Tim popped up next to me, seeing my face. “It’s all finally catching up to you?”

“Yeah,” I resigned. “I’ve seen some shit man.”

“So have I,” he replied, a similar tone in his voice. “So have I.”

“I’m too old for this crap.”

We just sat there, saying nothing. “Hey bro,” I broke the silence.

“Yeah,”

“You need a hug,” I said before giving him the greatest man hug ever.

“Nooooooooooo,” he complained as he pushed me off.

I laughed at the response. “At least we are still ‘us’.”

“Hey guys,” Ana called from the top of the stairs. “Have you seen Tony?”

“Oh, he’s with the army,” I told her, my sour mood somewhat fixed.

“Ok,” she quickly said as she ran into the basement equally as fast.

“…She’s got bigger balls than us,” Tim said.

“Never knew you looked.”

“Nooo, I mean the metaphorical kind.”

“Sure,” I finished teasing and stood up. “Anyway, I’m gonna go find some fillies.”

“Why?” he asked.

“I haven’t seen any yet.”

Tim stood up. “Eh, might as well help.”

We proceeded out the front door and headed towards the local school. If I’m right, then this is a school day. We almost got lost but luckily we stumbled upon it before we declared our lostness.

“Huh, it’s still intact,” Tim noted. He wasn’t far off. Half of the school was completely demolished. The closer half remained intact enough that the front door still seemed to work. I nodded to him and pointed at the other side of the door. Kicking the door in, we swept the hallway for anything demonic. Unfortunately, there wasn’t any.

“Check that half, I got this side,” I told him, pointing to the right before opening the first of my doors. No dice. The next few proved to be the same before I heard a call.

“Andrew, you gotta see this.”

I ran to the source, the third door on the right hand side of the hall relative to the door. I entered the room to see something good. A tightly packed group of fillies and colts were packed into the corner, fearing for their lives. Various colours and races made the sight somewhat cute. I could see a bit of blood flowing in the mix but it didn’t look too serious.

“H-hi,” the little filly I remember to be Scootaloo said.

“Don’t worry, we’re getting you outta-” I was cut off as the back of my head was struck hard. The floor collided with my face, mashing my already injured nose more. Even the stupid high tech helmet that comes from who knows where didn’t do shit to save it.

Random sounds escaped my mouth as I tried to get up. My ears rang from the impact. I turn to look upon whatever hit me to see a pony. It had three smiley faced flowers for a cutie mark, a coat of bright purple and a striped mane of pink and brighter pink. It was talking with narrowed eyes, but suddenly softened. Tim probably said something. By now my hearing has returned and began hearing things again.

“Sorry!” I heard a caring voice from the pony.

“Don’t worry about it,” I said, albeit a bit loud. “Names Andrew.”

“Cherrilee,” SHE told me.

“Alright,” I clapped my hands together. “Let’s get going to the library!”

We got to the tree house safely and led the younglings in safely. One had a nasty looking cut on their ear but they looked alright. Twilight was standing at the door waiting. Something seems off.

“What up?” I asked her.

“Just wanted to talk to all of you.” Aw shit, I’m in deep.

I played along, engaging my poker face. “Ok,” I say as I walk in and take a seat at the table. The others were already there except Tim, Tony and me. Now we’re all here. Well, all minus Tony.

Turning to the head of the table, I asked the mare sitting there, “So what’s this about?”

“We need to move everyone out of here,” she answered. At least I ain’t in trouble.

“Where?” Sam asked. “I don’t know of any place that is still standing except Sugarcube corner, and even that’s seen better days.”

“The hospital,” Twilight answered. “It has the space and the medical supplies we need.”

“Is it safe though?” Cloe asked.

“It is. Hospitals are made of far more durable material to prevent damage in the event of an accident, like a fire or misplaced storm cloud.”

“That may be the case, but is it still in one piece?” I ask.

“It’s outside the town, opposite to the forest. It should still be there.”

“Anyway, when do we move?” Tim asked.

“As soon as we can,” she told everyone as I heard something strange. I left the table to investigate the noise to see the sky full of ponies. The army got here fast. Too fast.

“You guys ditched me!” Tony shouted from outside as he charged at the door.

As he crashed through the door, horn glowing, I smirked. “You enjoyed it.”

“No I didn’t,” he told us but the near invisible shade of red on his cheeks told me otherwise.

“Sure,” I said as a team of medics ran through the door.

“Where are the injured?” They asked.

“Basement,” we all say.

They ran down the stairs with an urgency I have never seen. They take their job seriously at least. The door remained open, letting more ponies in. Two guards walked in and took position at either side of the door. The princesses followed.

“Princesses!” I exclaimed loudly as I opened my arms. “Hugs?”

I got one, but Twilight stole first hug from me. Soon everyone else got one as well. Them guards are looking pretty sour. Shining armour soon walked through the door.

“Shining!” Twilight shouted as she got up and sped her way to her brother.

“Twilie!” the Captain shouted as he embraced his sister. The relief on his face could be seen a mile away.

“To what do we owe the pleasure?” I asked as they finished their moment. Or maybe I killed it.

“Just wanted to see my little sister.”

“Of course.”

“We also wanted to talk about recent events,” Celestia stated, going full business mode or something like that.

“Well, everyone take a seat and we shall begin…”