• ...
4
 27
 1,247

The Question

Chapter 23



“How was your day,” The Princess asked kindly, smiling quite pleasantly.

“Horrible,” I answer bluntly.

“Now don’t be like that,” Shining said, the grin still plastered on his face. “You were having fun teaching the guards all day.”

“Ok, maybe I was having fun then,” I corrected myself.

“Anyway, I am here to discuss a certain topic with you,” Celestia said as she began to walk past me to the door. “In private.”

I had an idea of where this would be going, but I hoped against it as I followed her outside. I nervously looked around, trying to distract my thoughts as the door closed behind me. “So what’s up?” I asked nervously.

“You seem nervous,” Celestia stated.

“Maybe I am.”

The sun princess laughed at my answer before putting on a serious tone. “I need to speak with you about a delicate subject,” she quietly said.

My ears perked up. “Ok, shoot.”

“My sister, Luna,” she began, killing all my hopes of avoiding the topic instantly. “I believe you have met her.”

My nervousness returned. “Yes,” I answered, hiding my nervousness effectively.

“I also hear that you have recently been spending many nights out looking at the stars with her,” she continued, walking in the direction of the hill where Luna and I look at stars.

My heart raced as my suspicions of what Celestia knows grew. “Yeah,” I again respond, hoping deep down that I don’t have to talk to her about what happened last night.

“I also heard of the little incident that happened last night,” she turned, smiling knowingly at me.

My eyes widened as my hopes were crushed once again. “I’m sorry please don’t incinerate me!” I shouted out, cowering beneath my hooves.

The princess let out a hysterical laugh. I looked up from where I was to see the princess on the ground, laughing uncontrollably.

I got up, confused at the event that has just transpired. “…Ok.”

Celestia slowly calmed down, trying to control her laughter. “Why would I do something like that?” she asked rhetorically, still giggling at the thought.

I looked down and thought for a moment. “Well, yeah it does sound stupid…”

“She has been happier ever since you watched the stars with her.”

I stopped. This never happens around me. “What?” I asked in disbelief.

“I would like to thank you for that,” The princess smiled kindly as she said this.

My brain ceased functioning for a moment as it tried to comprehend what I just heard. “What?” I shouted, my eye twitching repeatedly.

Celestia laughed again before turning in the general direction of Canterlot. “I’ll let you think on it.”

I walked back inside, still thinking about what she said. I don’t make people happy. Well, ponies in this case but still the same meaning.

“So, what were you two talking about?” Pinkie appeared out of nowhere, snapping me out of my thoughts. “Was it something super duper secret? Or maybe something about cakes, or maybe you were talking about Luna!”

“…I have no idea how you talk so fast,” I commented about her ludicrous speaking speed.

“That’s avoiding the question!” she continued, a frown on her face.

“Maybe I don’t want to answer the question.”

“Aww,” she said, disappointed at my response. At least she isn’t pushing for an answer.

“You know what,” I whispered as I lean close to one of Pinkie’s ears. “Your last guess was right.”

As I walked towards the kitchen, an impossibly huge smile appeared on Pinkie’s face. “Don’t go telling everyone please.”

The kitchen in the library seemed a bit smaller than what I’m used to, considering humans are about as tall as the princesses but I would manage. I only wanted a sandvich.

“So how was your day,” I heard Twilight say. I spun around with sandvich in hoof to see seven ponies. Oh great, she’s gonna ask questions with her friends and her brother are here.

“Good enough,” I answered.

“I must ask,” she began as she left the group and approached me. I took a bite of my sandvich and waited for her to continue. “What are your feelings towards Luna?”

That’s it. “Don’t make me,” I threatened as I backed up, taking another bite of my sandvich.

“Make you do what,” she asked with genuine concern, backing up herself.

“Don’t make me rename you Twilot Spickel.” I said threateningly.

She stopped. “Really, that’s it?” she asked questioningly, the ponies behind her stifling their giggles.

“Either that or I threaten to hug you.”

“…You do realise that won’t stop me.”

“I’ll hug everyone then.” I said as I put my sandvich down on the kitchen bench.

“That still won’t sto- woah!” I interrupted Twilight, leaping at her and bringing the full wrath of my hug upon her. The six ponies still in the doorway suddenly fell over, laughing at the scene before them.

“You still think that this hug isn’t incentive enough to stop?” I asked as she groaned underneath my hugging.

“YES!” she screamed out her answer, hurting my ears something shocking. I let her go and returned to my sandvich. The ponies were still rolling on the floor, laughing constantly. I took my sandvich in hoof, intent on finishing it as I watched the group continue their laughter at Twilight’s expense. Surprisingly Shining didn’t do the traditional brotherly teasing that all brothers must do after witnessing such a thing happen, settling with a simple smile and more laughter.

By the time I finished my sandvich, the moon had replaced the sun in the sky and the stars showed themselves. Time to head to the hill. I smiled at the thought as I walked to the door. “I’m gonna watch the stars,” I told the ponies, who finally calmed down.

“Ok, good night,” The ponies replied in unison

“Night guys,” I shouted back as I left for the hill, noticing a group of ponies coming this way from town. Probably Sam and the rest. Wait, what are they laughing about? I’ll worry about that later.

I reached the hill and sat down at the top. The stars glowed differently tonight, more lively. I watched and waited, doubting whether Luna would come or not. No sooner did I begin to doubt that Luna appeared, gliding down from the sky majestically. I smiled as she landed next to me, smiling herself…