• ...
4
 27
 1,247

Attack

Chapter 17


I charged forward, seeing the line of demons attacking screaming ponies. I fired my rifle into the midst of the creatures, searing away their flesh with bolts of plasma. I slid to a nearby house and slammed my back against the wall as the flaming projectiles sent back exploded behind me. I looked across the street to see Tim in a similar situation as I am, back against a wall as orbs of fire flew in his direction. I nodded at him and brought my wrist to my face.

“Sam,” I said into the wrist mounted radio, “How many are there.”

I waited for a response but never got one, probably not in position yet. I peered around the corner to get a look myself only to nearly get hit in the face by a Demon’s fireball. I looked up at the Tree House Library thing to see Sam on the balcony, looking all around for something.

“Sam, the radio’s on your wrist,” I say before popping around the corner and holding down the trigger of my gun. I hid behind the wall as I was hit by their flames. Luckily this armour is awesome.

“Oh, I knew that,” Sam finally responded. A lance of light accompanied by a loud thumping noise flew out of the Library into the direction of the creatures. A hideous scream of pain was emanated from beyond the wall I hid behind.

“We have 13 up ahead of you,” Sam answered my original question.

“Sweet, thanks,” I say, “Tim, cover me I’m moving closer.”

“Ok,” Tim responded before popping out of his cover at the other side of the street and fired his gun. I swung around the corner with my gun raised and charged forward. I watched as several Demons were hit by Tim’s barrage of bolts. I fired a few shots off before sliding behind a broken cart.

“Alright,” I shouted, “Tony, Cloe, this is the part where you get going.”

“Right,” I hear them respond through the radio. I place the rifle in my hands on its magnetic holster on my back as I pull out my shotgun. Beams of light shot over the top of my head as Sam and Anala fired their guns, followed by more screaming Demons.

“Alright, I’m moving up,” Tim said through the radio. I stood up, shotgun ready to go as all of my enemies came into view. The world slowed to snail pace like it had a few days ago, giving me more than enough time to select my target. The street ahead was dotted with several Imps, all of them moving in our direction. The forms of dead ponies could be seen. I fired the gun at the nearest demon, tearing apart its body and killing it. Another shot from the library flew past my head and connected with an Imp’s head, blowing it off. The two corpses began to turn to ash before I ducked behind my cover once again.

Tim slid next to me, putting his rifle away and pulling out his mace. I know what he’s up to. I pulled out my sword and pistol as he looked at me.

“Highest count?” he asked as more bolts flew around our heads.

“Sure,” I answered. Without waiting, I jumped over the broken carriage and ran at the closest demon. The creature swung its clawed hand at my head, which I ducked under before ramming into its body. I pulled my sword up as it stumbled back before slashing it across the Imp’s face. It fell back, clutching its face as it hit the ground before it’s body began to disintegrate.

Several alerts whined as I was struck by a flurry of flames from the others. I spun around and raised the pistol in my hands. Five demons stood several metres away from me, their hands on fire as they drew back. Tim suddenly jumped into my view and tackled one of the abominations to the ground. He grasped its face with both his hands and the pinned demon screamed. A stream of energy departed the creature before flowing into Tim’s hands. A second later, the Imp was ash.

The other demons rushed at him, intent on making him dead. I fired at the creatures, trying to buy time for Tim. The demons just ignored the pain. When one of the four remaining invaders was about to claw away his armour, Tim spun around and swung his mace up. The weapon struck it in the chin, crushing it’s head and sending it flying. The second demon ran through his partners remains to attack only to be met with a down swing of Tim’s mace, putting the creature into the ground.

The last two were closing in on Tim. I fired away at them only to be stopped as their bodies fell to the ground, their heads missing. Realising what happened, I raised the radio to my mouth.

“Damn kill stealers,” I shouted. Laughter could be heard through the radio as Sam laughed at my outburst.

“Just be happy that you ain’t dead,” he replied. I huffed before walking up to Tim.

“Now what was that?” I asked him about his absorb thing he just did.

“No idea,” Tim answered, “Just felt like doing that.”

What? That makes no sense. I’ll question him later. “Ok anyway, we better find more.”

Pulling out my rifle, I walked further into town. Tim walked beside me, his shotgun ready in his hands. A roar interrupted our walk and made us turn around. A dog like creature was running at us, it’s mechanical back legs powering it forward. I knew what this is.

“Aw shit,” I said.

The bulky creature closed the massive distance between us fast. It tackled me to the ground before I could react and bit into my arm. I yelled out in pain as its teeth went straight through the plating and embedded into my arm. A loud thump told me that Tim shot it with his shotgun. The creature roared through the arm in his mouth before shaking his head to the side, pulling me with it. Its teeth tore through my arm as it shook its head the other way. I screamed as it continued tearing my arm apart.

Its body suddenly stopped moving, falling limp on top of me. I groaned as the things weight crushed me before its body vanished.

I lay there for a moment before Tim’s hand came into view. “Need a hand?” He asked.

I grabbed his hand with my unharmed arm and let him help me up. “Thanks,” I said before looking around. The forms of ponies littered the area, groans of pain emanating from some of them. I narrowed my eyes at the scene in anger.

“Guys,” I said into the radio, “come down, it’s time for the hard part.”

“Alright, be there soon,” Sam replied. I slowly walked towards the library, clutching my mutilated arm. That isn’t gonna be useful for a long time.

Anala and Sam met us at the broken carriage I used earlier. They saw my arm and visibly cringed.

“Ooo, that doesn’t look good,” Anala said before approaching me. “Let me fix it up.”

I grunted before lifting up my arm, the pain intensifying as it left the support of my working arm. Anala used her healing powers and fixed my arm up, removing all the pain.

I exhaled in relief. “Thanks for that.”

“No problem.”

I smiled before raising my arm to my face. “Cloe, Tony, where you at?” I asked over the radio.

“Over at Sugarcube Corner,” Cloe answered, “the place is clear and everyone’s fine.”

“The Carousel Boutique is all good as well,” Tony followed.

A sharp zapping sound interrupted my thoughts before a flash of green crossed my vision. I knew what that meant. “TAKE COVER!” I shouted as I ducked behind the carriage, watching the others scramble behind buildings. Multiple different colours flashed over my head as bolts of energy were fired at us. These aren’t demons.

“Surrender, Demons,” a voice shouted out at us. Ok, definitely not demons.

Wait, did it just call me a demon? “WHAT?!” I yelled out in outrage, readying my shotgun. “Did you just call me a demon? I’m gonna mess you up!”

I pushed myself up as fast as I can, bringing the weapon in my hands to bear. I snarled as I aimed perfectly at my target before freezing. At the receiving end of my shotgun was a unicorn. He wore a set of golden armour, telling me that he is a royal guard. Flashes of light flew past me as the unicorn’s company continued to throw magic at me. I lowered my weapon as a burst of energy hit my shoulder.

“STOP!” a voice bellowed out. It came from the sky. I didn’t bother looking as my eyes were still locked onto the unicorns, who surprisingly listened. That person must have a lot of authority, probably their boss.

A large form entered my eyesight, landing on the ground before standing up majestically. My eyes refocussed to see Celestia. She observed the area, seeing the sight of dead ponies. I stood up straight and raised one of my hands, saluting to the Princess of the Sun. Her head turned to me, a cold expression on her face. This ain’t good.

“What happened,” she asked, her face betraying no emotions.

I dropped my arm before answering, “Demon attack, fifteen of them.”

“Don’t forget the one that tore your arm up,” Sam pointed out.

“Sixteen,” I corrected myself.

Celestia’s head dropped, showing her emotions. “How many dead?” she asked, her voice cracked as she seemed to hold tears back.

My mood died instantly. “We don’t know yet,” Tim answered.

“I hope none are though,” Anala added.

My eyes widened. “Oh damn,” I mumbled before turning around. “Sam, check on Applejack and her family.”

Not waiting for an answer, I continued, “Tim, get to Fluttershy’s and make sure she’s safe.”

“Yeah, got it,” They answered collectively before running in different directions, heading towards said places.

I looked around at the carnage, saddened by the scene. I fell down onto my hooves at my body reformed into a pony once again. Now time for the hard part.

“Ok, let’s start counting.”