• Published 8th Jun 2014
  • 17,116 Views, 1,376 Comments

Moonie shorts [Filly Nightmare Moon] - Eighth



A series of short stories about a filly Nightmare Moon, nicknamed Moonie, and her father figure/guardian Anonymous the human.

  • ...
47
 1,376
 17,116

PreviousChapters Next
85 The Company is Nice

Tak-tek-tik-tok-tuuuuuuuk.

You scratch your forehead a little as you think of what to type on your brand new type writer. It's no computer what with pony technology being uniquely behind in some aspects but on par with your old world in some way. But it does the trick.

"Whatcha doing?" Asks Moonie in the trademark sing-song voice that any bored child does when they decide to inflict themselves upon a nearby busy adult.

"Testing to see if this or the old one would be better to take to work."

"Work?" Moonie asks in disgusted confusion.

"Work," you nod solemnly.

"You're always working."

"Look, you always bring this up and you know I don''t just work."

"Seems like it," prods Moonie, hoping to irk you a little more.

"Mhm."

Moonie clicks her tongue in frustration and them thinks for a bit. Most likely to think on way to bother you some more but you pay it no attention for the time being.

Tak-tek-tik-tok-tuuuuuuuk

"When you think about it, you are always busy."

This gives you a bit of pause. You lean back in your chair to reflect a little.

"Yeah, usually... Why?"

Moonie shrugs in that way that suggests she does actually know why and this air of ignorance is just for show. A show to irk you just slightly. And it does. Just slightly.

"Well, you work a lot. And if you're not working then you're doing housework, reading, looking after me, or sometimes helping out in town. Never ever just sitting down and relaxing."

"Not true. When we camped in the backyard, we sat for a bit and stargazer. That was relaxing."

"Yeah," she replies drawing out it like she isn't convinced, "but that was ages ago, and we did that because I wanted to."

"So?"

"When was the last time you relaxed because you wanted to?"

You tilt your head to the side and squint while you think. Mentally, the time rewinds back days then weeks, months then years. Nothing comes to mind. Okay, so maybe you've taken a breather here and there. Like a minute or two to compose yourself, catch your breath, or to think on what to do next. But do they count?

"It's got to be more than a few minutes. Say, twenty at least," adds Moonie, with eyes that looks as if she were reading your mind.

"Then..."

"Never?"

"Not that I can think of. I mean, I could and just don't remember it."

"I should knight you as Sir Anonymous the Restless."

"Very funny."

She giggles to herself and pokes a tongue out to jeer a little more.

"Reading counts as relaxing. And sometimes spending time with you is."

"Aren't you sweet?"

You lob the chair pillow at her. She dodges by leaping up onto the couch where she lies down like some kind of lion proudly reigning over the land.

"But really," Moonie continues. This time her voice is more serious, "Don't you ever want to take it easy for a while?"

"I do."

"I mean, just do nothing for a bit. Let time pass you by or something."

You shrug, "Not really, no. I like... Doing something, even if it's little. Like reading, hanging with someone, or even watching someone do something. I get restless otherwise."

"Hmm," Moonie ponders, "Fair enough."

There's a moment of silence for some time. Part of you was waiting for Moonie to say something more so when you realise that was it, you speak up.

"Why?"

You notice that she was resting her head on her forelegs with her eyes closed. At the sound of your voice, Moonie opens one eye.

"Why what?"

"Why were you pointing out how busy I always am?"

She shrugs then closes her eyes once again. But you're not willing to let her out of it, at least not easily. Moonie's motives are, by nature, easy to discern.

"Do you miss spending time with me?" You tease.

"Very funny," she replies without opening her eyes.

Silence falls once again as you find yourself unable to think of how to approach the topic, or even what exactly you're trying to get out of it. A few times a sentence bubbles to the surface but disappears from your mind before you can say it. Unable to think of what to say, you spin back to your type writer. In the corner of your eye you notice Moonie open a single eye once again.

"I get antsy doing nothing. It doesn't matter what it is, I feel better when something is happening."

"I get that," flatly answers the napping filly.

"But I like your company either way."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah. It's kind of like spending time together, even if we never say a word."

"Hm," grunts Moonie as she smiles while adjusting her position to a more comfier one for a nap.

Once she wakes a little while later, she grabs her toys and plays with them on the floor nearby which you can't resist smiling to yourself at. Both of you content in doing your own separate thing, but together, in good company.

PreviousChapters Next