• Published 8th Jun 2014
  • 17,112 Views, 1,376 Comments

Moonie shorts [Filly Nightmare Moon] - Eighth



A series of short stories about a filly Nightmare Moon, nicknamed Moonie, and her father figure/guardian Anonymous the human.

  • ...
47
 1,376
 17,112

PreviousChapters Next
38 They Grow up so Fast

You're standing around in this circle of parents outside the school as you all wait for the kids to be let out. While most guys might be weirded out, as you and Big Mac are the only guys in the group, you're not. You're pretty much of an alien race here and the only one, so you're used to be the odd one out. You chuckle to yourself as the thought of you going insane, standing in a field and talking to some farmer's horses runs through your mind.

"So how about it Anon?"

"Hm?"

You snap from your world and into reality to see them all looking towards you.

"I was just telling everyone about how my little boy seems to have taken a shine to Moonie. Are you going to be okay if they start dating?"

She and the others start giggling amongst themselves while Big Mac gives you a very stern look.

"Won't happen."

"Oh, why not?"

"Because you're talking about Moonie here. The devil in tiny compact horse form. She's not going to partake in something lovey-dovey. Unless I'm wrong, then good luck to your son," you give a laugh and the others join in. Except Big Mac.

Big Mac just shakes his head at you. You make a mental note to catch up to him and find out what's up but not now, because school is out. The bell rings as fillies and colts cheers happily that the rest of the day is school-free. You notice Moonie is walking out alongside a colt, so the mother from before stands beside you.

"Aren't they just precious together. Oh, they grow up so fast."

Her last four words seem to echo in your mind over and over, as if you shouted it into the deepest cave while your heart just lightly sinks.

Obviously she's going to grow up one day... But does she have to start now?

"Hey Anon," Moonie casually calls.

"Hey, you want a ride home?" You ask, arms out-stretched.

"Uh, you know, I think I'll walk."

"And I think I'll carry you."

You lift her up into your arms and swing her a little before making your way down town. Moonie protests a little a first but she soon gives in.


On the way home, you stop off for some treats. You get something Pinkie calls a "Raspberry Shock Tart" while Moonie gets a few cookies and a gingerbread sword. She swings the sword around with her magic, probably fighting pirates or royal palace guards. Then you take a bite of the shock tart. The pastry is soft and warm, completely inviting as you bite into it. The raspberry jam is cool and works well, then the after taste hits. All at once, like a wave crashing down on you, is the taste of sour. A lot of sour.

"Ugh, what the--Dammit Pinkie."

"What?"

You tear off a piece, making sure it has plenty of raspberry on it and hand it to her. When she eats it, you notice this moment of realisation on her face when the sour flavour hits her. Then she gives this pleased and proud cackle.

"Oh, that's good. You have no idea it's there and then just, bam! I need the secret."

"Not a chance. I'm not letting you spike everything we have in the house with it."

"Do you really think I'd be so cruel-"

"Yes!"

"As I was saying, do you really think I'd be so cruel to spike my own food?"

"Watch it, or you'll get twice as much of that stuff as I will."

"Is that a challenge?"

"I'm willing to go down with the ship as long as I'm not alone," you reply with a sneering stare.

Moonie stares back at you for a while before breaking away with a smile.

"I see I've really had an effect on you."

"What do you mean?" you ask as you unlock the door to your house.

The two of you step inside then Moonie leaps up onto the couch to finish what she was saying.

"You were pretty docile when we first met. You used to accept whatever antics I got up to, but now? Now you're willing to challenge it."

"Disappointed?"

"Definitely not," she replies with an excited hop, "It's way too fun now!"

You smile as you lift up a couch cushion and bop her on the face with it before leaving the room.


"Are you in bed yet?"

You call out as you walk towards Moonie's room. You hear scurrying and the sound of someone fumbling with the blankets so they can dive into bed and hope you're none the wiser. When you open the door to see Moonie lying under the covers, trying to play it as cool as possible. Locking eyes with her, you walk around the bed and lift up a few of the toys she was just playing with.

"Alright, but you have to admit, I'm getting faster."

"I dunno, I'd call this getting sloppy."

"You dare insult your queen?"

"No, but I dare tell her that if she's not asleep very soon, there will be no pancakes in the morning."

She doesn't even try to weigh that threat, she just settles back down into the pillow.

"Good... Now, I have a question for you. A serious one, alright."

Moonie nods.

"How long would it take you to grow up?"

"What do you mean?"

She tilts her head a little before catching onto your meaning.

"Ah, well... I don't know. We could ask Celestia or Luna but I bet even they couldn't be sure. I'm nearly as unique as you in this world."

"Yeah... right... That's true," you reply as you draw an uncomfortable breath.

"If I have a say in the matter though... I was an adult for more than a thousand years," she recalls bitterly, "I'm not giving up being a filly for a long time. Who knows, me in this form could outlast you."

"I can't tell if I feel comforted or disturbed by you right now."

She flashes you a sharp smirk.

"Good. That's the way I like things to be."

In her own weird way, she's cheered you up so you give her a kiss on the forehead much to her own disgust and leave.

"Goodnight Moonie."

"Ugh, cooties! Alien slime! Get it off!"

She flails, reels and wriggles in disgust as she tries to wipe the germs away.

"BED!"

She laughs mockingly before quietening down.

"Goodnight."

"Goodnight, and sweet dreams."

PreviousChapters Next