• Published 8th Jun 2014
  • 17,114 Views, 1,376 Comments

Moonie shorts [Filly Nightmare Moon] - Eighth



A series of short stories about a filly Nightmare Moon, nicknamed Moonie, and her father figure/guardian Anonymous the human.

  • ...
47
 1,376
 17,114

PreviousChapters Next
88 Moonlight Savings Time

You wander into your home, feeling slightly out of it. As you're putting things away where they belong, you notice your glasses are looking dirty.

"Over due for a clean, I guess," you murmur as you set them on the sink.

The clicking of little hooves trying poorly to sneak on hardwood floors echoes as Moonie peers into the kitchen.

"Oh, you're home early."

You glance at the clock before you realise setting them forward slipped your mind last night.

"Actually it's daylight savings, I'll need to fix all the clocks in the house in a moment."

"So... Does this mean we lose or gain an hour?"

"Gain," you reply flatly while rinsing a few things.

Moonie audibly gasps with excitement and you can see her already trembling with anticipation.

"This means you'll be home earlier all the time."

You chuckle, "No."

She quickly scowls at you, "What? You don't want an extra hour of praising your queen each day?"

"I might get home an hour early but I'll also be leaving an hour early."

"Why?" asks a genuinely confused filly.

"Because that's how daylight savings works."

"But we're supposed to gain an hour," she explains in one of those patronising tones used when dealing with someone 'slow.'

"Aren't you like over a thousand years old? How do you not know about how daylight savings works?" You ask irritably.

"Well, I was a little distant with things for a while."

"Right," you answer, feeling like you put your foot in it a bit.

"Can we have pizza for dinner?" Moonie's voice comes across as aloof and slightly monotone, which seems to hammer in a bit more of that guilt.

"Sure," you resign with a sigh as you turn around to see a toothy, "gotcha" kind of grin.

"Too late, you said yes. You can't take it back," she shouts triumphantly.

Your eyes narrow and her grin grows.

"Oh, you are in for it."

Moonie's stance swiftly drops into a ready position so that the second you move she will sprint towards her room. The two of you hang there, frozen in time almost. Then you ask which pizza she wants knowing that even though she is the type to always get one of two things, she has to look at the menu stuck on the fridge before making a decision. You remain still, refusing to break eye contact but you notice Moonie's will and eyesight waver.

"Truce?"

You flick your head in the direction of the fridge. Moonie hesitates then looks at the menu. Then her eyes widen as she realises something.

"That wasn't a nod," she screams. Too late.

You've already scooped her up into your vice-like grip in one arm to tickle her with the other until her giggles turn into a screech. The pizza you got later was good.

PreviousChapters Next