• Published 8th Jun 2014
  • 17,114 Views, 1,376 Comments

Moonie shorts [Filly Nightmare Moon] - Eighth



A series of short stories about a filly Nightmare Moon, nicknamed Moonie, and her father figure/guardian Anonymous the human.

  • ...
47
 1,376
 17,114

PreviousChapters Next
60 Story Time

“Alright then, page 89…” you murmur as you flick through the pages of the CYOA book you and Moonie are reading together.

“DEATH ROUTE! GO BACK,” Moonie abruptly shouts trying to scramble for the book in your hands.

“You can’t just skip to the last part of the page.”

“Who else is going to keep us alive?”

“This book is half death routes, a third bad ends, and the rest are mildly good endings.”

“Wait, I thought you hadn’t read this before.”

“I haven’t,” you reply as you flash her the cover, ensuring to keep a finger on the page, ”It’s says as much here.”

“Oh… We’ve also got a secret route.”

“How do you hide a secret route in a book?”

“Maybe they send you the rest of it later.”

“Or they hid it in the dust cover,” you joke, but you still peel it back a bit to check which is where you find 3 new pages.

You and Moonie pause for a moment in shock before nonchalantly returning to page 54, to reconsider your decision.

“Let’s go with… Medicine then,” Moonie decides confidently as she flicks over the pages for you, “No, that’s death again. All these choices are death.”

“Okay, let’s go back to the first choice. But this time we need to keep a route in mind.”

“So we have to decide on a girl?”

You shrug, “pretty much.”

Moonie sighs as she hops off of your lap to prepare for the big debate.

“So, who do you think we should go with?” Moonie asks calmly.

You shrug once again.

“Any?”

“That’s not helpful,” Moonie irately groans.

“Fine. Then… Not Chess ‘n Checkers.”

“I didn’t ask who not to go for.”

“Process of elimination. That way neither of us gets the girl we hate.”

“Your queen agrees with this logic,” she nods, “Then not the shy one.”

“The one with blue hair, or green?”

“How… It’s a book. There’s no pictures.”

“They described each character back in chapter one,” you argue back, clearly annoyed.

“That was like a year ago. I forgot… Anyway, the lady one.”

“Oh, yeah. She was kind of boring anyway. Alright, who next?”

“We’re left with the sister, the maid, childhood friend, and secret route.”

“We’ll save secret route for later.”

“I hope it’s the best friend. She’s amazing.”

“It’s not,” you reply as you skim through the secret pages.

Moonie launches a pillow at your face with her magic.

“What happened to no skipping?”

“I was curious,” you defensively reply.

Moonie just lets out a long sigh.

“Wish it was the friend,” you mutter.

“I know. Anyway, who do we eliminate now?”

“Not the sister?”

“Yeah. I could go without her. Maybe as a re-read.”

“Okay, so maid and childhood friend.”

“Childhood friend!” Moonie replies without hesitation.

“She’s a little young don’t you think?”

“I’m young.”

“You’re older than me,” you drily retort.

Moonie just clicks her tongue at you, so you poke yours out at her which she then mimics.

“Children, the both of you,” a tired Trixie states as she wanders into the kitchen.

“Childhood friend.”

“Are you sure?”

“CHILDHOOD FRIEND! Your queen demands.”

“Fine,” you say as you pat your lap for Moonie to return.

The two of you continue to read, dying another ten times as if it were inevitable for you both before you get anywhere with the childhood friend. After a long while, Moonie yawns so you bookmark the page and lift her up.

“Aw, really?”

“Yeah. It’s late. Get some sleep,” you softly answer.

“Can I ask a favour then?”

“Sure.”

“Could you keep reading to me?”

You lay her down into bed so she pulls the covers over herself as you grab a different book. You flash her the cover and she replies with a tired but cuddly “yay” as she buries herself into her bed more.

As you begin to read, Moonie quickly starts to drift off to the sound of your voice. Even when you can tell she is fast asleep, you continue to read a little while longer to her as if it might make her dream of nice things.

PreviousChapters Next