• Published 8th Jun 2014
  • 17,101 Views, 1,376 Comments

Moonie shorts [Filly Nightmare Moon] - Eighth



A series of short stories about a filly Nightmare Moon, nicknamed Moonie, and her father figure/guardian Anonymous the human.

  • ...
47
 1,376
 17,101

PreviousChapters Next
63 Get Some Sleep

As you lift the book from your face, dim moonlight allows you to peer down at the sleeping body resting her head on your shoulder. Moonie's soft and rhythmic breathing sends a small wave of warmth to your heart. Even with her mouth slightly agape to allow the tiniest puddle of drool to collect on you, you smile. Then you angle yourself gently to lift Moonie's head up and allow your escape. Once she is tucked in bed alone, you gaze back at the words of the book. Its black words grate on your eyes, causing a strain to even look at them further so you sigh as you return it to its place on the shelf.

"Long night?" You mockingly ask to your own reflection in the bathroom mirror.

You look over your face, pushing and pulling at the bags hanging from your eyes as if it might just disappear. The mirror begins to fog up from the hot shower water hailing down beside you, for a moment you wonder if you actually did turn it on. It takes a brief moment for you to recall what you did less than a minute ago, but once it does you step into the shower. It's a brief shower you sluggishly towel yourself off, drink a glass of warm milk, and head into your bedroom.

There on the nightstand rests a list you wrote for yourself. All of it are suggestions ponies have given you to help combat your sleeping trouble. You crawl into the covers and begin counting sheep. It's a method you've tried more times than there are sheep, but Granny Smith was adamant about doing it after a warm shower, and a glass of warm milk. She even gave you the milk for free after you told her you've tried them all before.

After who knows how long, just a time that feels like an eternity, you give up and begin to think to yourself before trying the next part of the list. Every so often, you would get nights like this. Where it'd be hard to fall asleep in the first place, or you'd wake up over and over in the night having to constantly wait to fall back to sleep again. In its own way, it's exhausting. Not in the way that helps with getting any sleep, mind you. Lately, however, these nights are becoming all too regular. Someone did say it was likely the stress of being the mayor getting to you, however, you've been doing it a while and if anything you were getting more sleep when you first started. Besides, looking after the tyrannical overlord formerly known as Nightmare Moon was far more stressful.

Parts of your body begin to feel heavy than the others. And while you kind of want to make note of it somehow, your own mind lets escape every thought your create. Like a spider's web with a hole, you are unable to catch anything. Even surface thoughts slip by you there. Though, as you continue to try and collect your thoughts, each image, feeling, musing, and every piece of concentration, you begin to pool together a consciousness. It feels like there is a force, similar to gravity, bearing down on you so that none of you may move. Even your eyelids feel heavier by the minute, like the bags beneath then are replaced with loaded suitcases. But you don't fight that. This is what you want. You give a croaky hum of joy as you feel like you're slipping away there.

Your mind begins to whirl over and over. Were it actually moving, you'd start to feel nauseated. Lower and lower you begin to sink as everything you are, falls down this ethereal drain. A sense of clarity begins to build as you roll into a more comfortable sleeping position. The air you're breathing through your nose is sharp and crisp as your eyes effortlessly open. You're wide awake.

"Forget it," you grumble in a huff as you twist upright to grab the list.

The letters dance and squirm on the page for a moment as your eyes try to recall what focusing is. 'Listen to music,' it reads. Your brow furrows as you try to recall who told you this one. The image comes to mind but it feels like it's caught. If you could shake your head like a magic 8-ball, maybe it'd float to the surface but the mare or stallion's face stays a blur. It is at this point where you grab a nearby pencil and scribble out Granny's suggestion and the following music idea. A deep and tense breath escapes your lips as you sit there at the side of your bed and look out to the darkness flowing from the corners.

"Food," you read aloud.

With a shuffle of your feet, you trail into the kitchen. There the refrigerator greets you. As does its near blinding light. You turn away suddenly, clamping your eyes shut. There you stand for a moment as you slowly open your eyes, just a portion to allow your eyes to adjust to this new affront. Once you're prepared, you look at the contents and wonder how long you've stood there. You've likely let out all the cold now.

"Just eat until you're full. That always makes me want to take a nap," the echo of Rainbow Dash's chuckles at you, "Though if I were you, I'd go for a run the morning after. Don't want to be packing on the pounds, yeah?"

You glare at the fridge as if it were Dash, being so unabashedly rude to you then slam it shut. As you glance down at the list resting in your hand, you decide it is best to abandon it. You probably miss the toss after you scrunched it up, but it's too late to care right now. Moonie's room now stands to your right, as you think about her sleeping peacefully. Quietly, you head inside.

There you rest on your knees by the side of her bed. Placing your head onto the mattress, you look up at her and hope by some divine will, you can steal some of that restful sleep. It takes time, you wait a while. But eventually, it does. And as sleep finally claims you, you let out one last, "Goodnight."

Author's Note:

It's not much, I know. But it's all I could think to write. Hope you are all well.

PreviousChapters Next