• Published 8th Jun 2014
  • 17,089 Views, 1,376 Comments

Moonie shorts [Filly Nightmare Moon] - Eighth



A series of short stories about a filly Nightmare Moon, nicknamed Moonie, and her father figure/guardian Anonymous the human.

  • ...
47
 1,376
 17,089

PreviousChapters Next
83 Forever Ago

"We're here," states the gruff voice in the dark as it rips the tape from Gruff MacIronbeard's mouth.

Gruff MacIronbeard looked up at his assailant. Dark and matted fur covered the minotaur's large build. Like a distant fiery star, one red eye looked down at him as the other was covered by a leather eye patch to hide the wound Gruff gave to him so many years ago.

"Ah, I was wondering what happened to you after Saddle Arabia, Maddox 'Mad Bull' Musclehorn."

The hitminotaur grinned, his yellowed teeth dimly flashing in the pitch blackness of the night.

"Yes, you should have buried my entire body. Vultures can be rather... Helpful with the right motivation it seems."

The large and menacing hitminotaur smiled once again before his big arms gripped Gruff MacIronbeard and pulled him out from the carriage boot.

"And don't try anything," and exasperated Maddox 'Mad Bull' Musclehorn added while revealing a magical scroll, "This fireball will leave you unrecognisable, I daresay as it will singe more than your coat."

Gruff MacIronbeard gritted his teeth before being lead into the woods, his arms bound tightly behind him. Leaves and twigs rustled and snapped underhoof as they ventured deeper. Once they were in a ways, Maddox 'Mad Bull' Musclehorn suddenly pulled loose on the rope before shoving Gruff MacIronbeard forward hard enough to stumbled and fall to his knees. Just as Gruff MacIronbeard was about to turn around to fight, Maddox 'Mad Bull' Musclehorn waved the scroll a little.

"Uh-ah-ah." Maddox 'Mad Bull' Musclehorn grinned wildly, the pleasure etched on every crease of his smile.

That's when Gruff MacIronbeard noticed beside him stood a shovel, planted partway into the ground.

"Yes, I'll have to get you to dig a couple feet."

"That's cold," Gruff MacIronbeard replied, referring more to that just the night air as his muscles tensed visibly in anger.

Maddox 'Mad Bull' Musclehorn sighed, "Look, first I had to subdue you, drive us all the way out here, and I've got to bury you afterwards. It's tiring work, the least you could do is help me out."

Gruff MacIronbeard furrows his brow as Gruff MacIronbeard gives it some thought but ultimately, his sympathy gives out and Gruff MacIronbeard proceeded to dig. Feeling more relieved about his lightened to-do list, Maddox 'Mad Bull' Musclehorn leans against a nearby tree to revel in the silence. Save for Gruff MacIronbeard's grunts and shovelling.

"You've ticked off quite a few griffons, you know."

"Yeah? I don't recall doing anything special down that way."

"Well, maybe not. But all your interference in Yak-Yakistan caused a few issues with them. Seems they had some kind of plan."

"Are you sure you should be telling me this, just ratting your clients out like that?" Gruff MacIronbeard grunts.

"I'm not worried. It's not like you'll be doing anything about it. But, it seems they know about our... shared history. Two birds, one stone. It must be fate," Maddox 'Mad Bull' Musclehorn looks skyward with a smirk.

And that's when Gruff MacIronbeard shovels a head of dirt right over his shoulder and into Maddox 'Mad Bull' Musclehorn's face. As Maddox 'Mad Bull' Musclehorn coughs and splutters Maddox 'Mad Bull' Musclehorn doesn't notice the firm iron shovel swinging at high speed directly into his face. Even if Maddox 'Mad Bull' Musclehorn is on the floor and in a daze, Gruff MacIronbeard wastes no time, Gruff MacIronbeard is up and out of the hole before darting off to the carriage.


"What are you doing? Keep reading," Moonie excitedly shrieks as she shakes you by the collar.

"Look at the time."

"Forget the time. I need to know what happens to Gruff."

"Tomorrow. It's bed time."

"No," Moonie screams and struggles as you lift her up.

"I think you mean Gruff MacIronbeard. Not Gruff."

"What?"

With Moonie slung under one arm, you glance at the pages of the book again.

"You never notice how they always say a characters full name?"

"That's... Just Minotaur mannerisms or something. Now read more."

"Bed," you reply flatly in your 'parental' voice.

"You can't just read an action packed Minotaur book and expect me to sleep part way."

"Well, then no more reading it before bed."

"Okay!" She yields.


You place the unresistant filly on the floor and she slumps off to the bathroom for a minute then returns. Suspicious of her, you kneel down.

"Breath."

"What? Don't you trust me?"

"To brush? No. Breath."

Moonie rolls her eyes and gives a heavy breathe in your face. The minty freshness of toothpaste is strong but that smug smirk gives her away. It's not the kind of smug one uses when they've won, it's the kind of smug you would put on when you're confident in a plan.

"What's the new trick?"

Moonie's face freezes in place. Then after a moment's silence, she sulks.

"I thought eating some would work."

"While I admire the persistence and constant creativity, if you don't start brushing them I'll do it for you."

"Okay, okay."

This time you lean in the doorway and watch her. She pokes a mint foamed tongue at your reflection while brushing. You just smile back.


Then once she is done, you follow her into her room where you tuck her into bed.

"Hey, Anon?"

Her voice is rather soft. A not a tired kind of soft either, though she did yawn. It draws your attention and alarms you a little. But the dad in you can't resist.

"Hello Moonie."

She rolls her eyes and whines, "Anon."

"Yes?"

"When is your birthday exactly?"

"You're only just now asking?"

The filly merely shrugs.

"I don't know to be perfectly honest. The months and days in the year are different. I have no idea how I'd transfer the day over. Why, is Pinkie planning a party for me?"

Her silence gives it away.

"Don't worry, I'll act surprised."

"The thing what I wanted to know is, why is it a different day every year. Pinkie says it's a secret."

"There's no special reason behind it," you chuckle, "She just figured if she does one party on every day of the year then she is bound to have gotten it right at least once. Though twice now she has thrown two on the same year so you can never tell."

"Oh," Moonie's remarks dejectedly, clearly expecting something a bit more. "So, how old are you then?"

"You know, it's rude to ask a gentlemen his age."

"That's only for ladies," she defiantly replies in that childish arrogance that refuses to be tricked by an adult, "And you're not a gentleman."

"You wound me so," you dramatically retort as you clutch your chest.

"How old are you?" She repeats with a sing-song whine.

"Why? Is it important?"

She shakes her head no and then covers herself a little further under the blanket, giving a partial roll away from you. You give a tisk and then pull her back.

"I'm just asking," she responds dismissively, "You are old after all."

A quiet calm fills the room. Even the crickets outside that normally are busily chirping away can barely be heard. You take a breath as you wonder exactly what the issue could be, even thinking on this morning. You've got a decent guess but still, this entire thing caught you unawares. Unable to definitely put your finger on it, you try some words of comfort.

"You know... When you're young you feel like you'll live forever. But... that does seem like forever ago now. Though, I'm not going anywhere yet. I've still got many, many years ahead. Actually... I'm going to live forever. I've just decided. Or at least a thousand or so years. Just to see what happens."

"You're being silly," Moonie pokes her tongue at you.

"Heh, yeah. Anyway, Goodnight Moonie."

"Goodnight, Anon. Sweet dreams."

"You too," you reply as you give her a soft peck on the forehead.

PreviousChapters Next