• Published 8th Jun 2014
  • 17,116 Views, 1,376 Comments

Moonie shorts [Filly Nightmare Moon] - Eighth



A series of short stories about a filly Nightmare Moon, nicknamed Moonie, and her father figure/guardian Anonymous the human.

  • ...
47
 1,376
 17,116

PreviousChapters Next
45 Grounded

"ARG! ANON!"

Moonie comes storming down the hall, stamping her hooves in fury. To you it sounds like adorable little pitter-patters on timber flooring, but you won't say that to her face because the angrier she gets, the more you want to cuddle her which in turns makes her even angrier. The cycle would never end.

"WHERE IS IT?!"

"Hm, where's what?" You ask in confusion as you try to get dressed for work.

"My candy! I had a bunch of it stashed away so--"

"Oh, that. Yeah, I told you before that you'll be having no more sweets. You fill up on them before our meals and eat nothing else."

"But they were mine!"

Bought using money you lent her, but you're not about to play that route. Acting like an authoritative jerk isn't going to make the following month of being grounded any easier.

"I know. And once you are no longer grounded, you can have them back."

"This isn't fair," she irately groans before stamping back up to her room.

You just shake your head as you head into the bathroom.

It's roughly half an hour until lunch time, and you have been watching the clock quite closely. You only had something light to eat before you left so you're counting the minutes before you can stuff your face.

"Alright Anon, we need to review the MR type permits. Bring them all up to date and simplify them a little more," Mayor Mare states as she finally pulls her head out from the filing cabinet.

She's look a lot more well rested today. Usually her hair is a mess, her eyes start to droop, and she struggles to keep her glasses resting on her face correctly. But that's likely because you haven't had an easy day like this since you started.

"Are we that out of work to do? Just a few days ago we were swamped."

"Heh, well things will pick up again soon as they always do. These forms however, I noticed haven't been updated for two decades now. I 'spose we could find something else to do..."

She blows a little bit of her fringe that was hanging near her eye upwards then gives you a warm but warn out smile.

"Like what?"

"You see, the school holidays are almost here."

"I know, I need to find something to keep Moonie busy while I'm at work otherwise I'll likely come home to a pile of ash or something."

"That's what I'm talking about," she replies with an excited beam of a smile, "Soon all these fillies will be running about but most ponies will still have work to do. They'll need something to give themselves a little extra time."

That's something you always envied with this ponies. They're always so excited and happy about things. Thanks to their cutie mark, they're usually able to find their passion quite easily. The majority find a way to implement their talent into their work, or at least a hobby. If only you could get some tattoo on your butt cheek to tell you what to do with all your time.

"Anon?" Mayor Mare says whilst waving a hoof in your face.

"Sorry, just thinking."

"About?"

"What you just said a moment ago... And that I need a hobby," you stretch as you answer her.

"Well, what did you use to do with all your time back in your world?"

"Hm, more or less the same thing. Work, then dawdle about until my next shift. I wasn't exactly the most exciting human," you awkwardly chuckle.

"I think you should get out more then. Just like fillies do when they're after their cutie mark, go DO things."

"Actually, that's not a bad idea. What if we organised some kind of group... activity thing. Everyone can sign up their kids and they'll do all kinds of things like sports, arts, exploring? I dunno... But do you get what I'm talking about?"

"Like some kind of activity camp?"

You nod.

"Oh, Anon, I love it," she replies as she sweeps you into a hug before darting off to burrow her head back into the filing cabinet.

You glance at the clock, barely a few minutes have passed. But it's almost time to eat.

"Wait, it's almost time to eat," you mutter aloud to yourself.

"What was that Anonymous?"

"Uh, nothing... Say, can I go to lunch early?"

"Hm, not a bad idea. We can brainstorm on this after a nice break, and I could use quite a rest," replies the Mayor with a stiff laugh.

"Great. Thank you."

And with that you hastily make your way to Bon-Bon's Bon-Bon Barn. Once you arrive you immediately scan the place for that midnight mischief maker.

"Moonie been here?"

"No, not yet," Bon-Bon replies as she gestures over to one of the candy isles.

You quickly head over to that isle when you hear an all too familiar pitter patter of tiny hooves rush past you in the next isle over. Darting upright, you catch a glimpse of her tail as she leaves.

"Did she buy anything?" You sigh.

"Nah, we were talking shop while she tried to decide what she wanted."

"Alright, well she's supposed to be grounded for a month, so could--"

"Say no more. She'll get no candy from here."

"Thank Bon-Bon."

"You know I've got your back champ," she replies along with a salute.

It really doesn't take much to find her. Stubby filly legs versus lanky human legs. That and she tried to hide behind the alleyway of the building. Probably hoping you'd take off somewhere in search of her so she could duck back in.

"What'd I tell you about no candy? You're grounded."

"B-But--"

"No buts."

You skip out on a lecture, instead sending her home. She protests but you've always been more stubborn than her, so she eventually caves and heads back. Bon-Bon said she wouldn't let Moonie get any candy from her store. She doesn't really go to Sugarcube Corner any more, but you decide to stop by and ask the same of them just in case.

Work goes by with you and Mayor Mare just planning that camp. There was little else work to do so you even got to head home early. Home is a different story. Moonie is in her room, sulking. She kicks you out when you walk in, and so far you haven't made an attempt to talk to her since. She'll come out at dinner time. Hopefully in a better mood too.

Without much else to do, you set on cooking dinner. Easy stuff really. You've gotten much better at it since you were dropped in Equestria. There are considerably less take-out restaurants here after all. And there's the added responsibility of that extra mouth. Now that you're dwelling on this kind of thing, you've become a lot more responsible since you started caring for Moonie. Heck, you used to do your laundry only when you were wearing your last set of clothes. A smile forms on your face, growing ever slightly with pride. You've done pretty well for yourself really.

Now dinner is finished, all prepared, and waiting to be eaten. You give a quick knock on Moonie bedroom door.

"Dinner is ready."

"Okay," she replies nonchalantly.

She sounds a little odd, but you pay no mind to it really. Instead you sit down at the table, and wait for Moonie. A few minutes pass. Then a few more before you go and knock on Moonie door once again.

"Moonie. Come out and eat your dinner."

"Alright," she whines.

You pause at the door for a moment, waiting. But she doesn't leave. You can't even hear her moving. Curious, you open the door to see Moonie on the bed, a different location but the same position as when you first stepped into her room.

"Moonie?"

"What?"

"I said, you need to come and eat dinner. Now, not later."

"I heard."

"Well, if you don't come out before it gets cold then you can go without."

"Whatever, I'm not that hungry right now," she stammers defensively.

A little confused on what to do, you leave the room and head back to the kitchen. You wait at the table some more, picking at your food as time goes by. Still no Moonie though. Every so often you take a bite of your food, but you've got a loss of appetite. Moonie being so stubborn and rude has put you in a sour mood. With a heavy sigh, you take a few more bites then wrap up both your and Moonie's meal. She might decide to come out and eat later.

"She hates sleeping on an empty stomach," you tell yourself as you put the food away.
Then you decide to lie down on the couch and read before you head to bed. Only, even your sour mood has taken the interest out of this. You should take a firm stance on Moonie's grounding. No giving in just because she has gotten salty about sweets. A little bit of you does feel guilty though. No matter how much you try and push it back.

Eventually you fall asleep as you gloss over the pages of your book, not really taking in any information. Just looking. When Moonie hears your faint snoring, she steps out of her room very quietly to sneak into the kitchen. She eats the dinner you prepared. And just a little of yours because she was hungrier than usual. Also while she is out and about, she checks up on you. You're in an awkward pose, arms are sprawled out, back is twisted while a leg is lifted in the air. It's the kind of pose that'll have all your back, neck and joints feeling stiff and aching in the morning. Moonie just shakes her head in disappointment before delicately using her magic to set you to a more comfortable pose. While she's at trying to make you more comfortable, she gets you a blanket. Given her small stature and exhaustion for running around for the majority of the day, she lets out a yawn and curls up on the chair nearby the couch.

There she drifts to sleep for a few hours, only to be woken by a realisation she had in a dream. If you were to wake up and see her sleeping nearby, you'd probably wrap her into a hug or do something to embarrass her. So as swiftly and quietly as she can manage, she makes her way back to the comfort of her own bed. Where she dreams of sweet nothings, and ruling the world.

PreviousChapters Next