• Published 13th Apr 2014
  • 6,197 Views, 199 Comments

The Struggles of Radiance - Crystal Static



The hardships that Radiance, Daughter of Queen Chrysalis and Prince Shining Armor, will have to face as she grows up. Sequel to 'A Queen's Lament'.

  • ...
15
 199
 6,197

Chapter Seven - Romantic Evenings and Magical Development

The Struggles of Radiance

Chapter Seven

So when I changed Blueballs into a mare, apparently I put more energy into the spell than I thought I did, so he could stay a she for as long as three months. Princess Celestia told me that she could undo it, but she feels that her 'nephew' (so many many times removed) could benefit from this 'learning experience' as she called it. I told mom about what happened, and about my idea to take photos and put in the newspaper… Today's issue of Equestrian Times has the headline 'Prince now Princess?' and a big full color photo of 'Princess Blueblood'. It goes on to tell a story about how he was always a mare trapped in a stallion's body, and he didn't have the courage to get that operation until the other day. We got a lot of bits for that 'story', and mom gave me half of them.

I have that date with Scootaloo tomorrow; I was thinking that I would take her on a nice walk through the park, then a visit to that arcade two blocks from Pony Joe's, then we would get doughnuts. With all those bits we got from the whole 'Princess Blueblood' thing, I can afford to take Scoots out a few times, even though mom wants me to save my bits.

---

I took Scootaloo out on our date today, it went really well. Our walk through the park somehow turned into a game of chase, but it ended with us rolling around in the grass giggling like crazy. After we left the park, we went to the arcade. Scootaloo likes playing Pac Mare and Cruisin' Equestria, and she is very good at them. I prefer Donkey Colt and Mario Chariot, but I am not very good at games. After I lost to her so many times, we decided to leave before I spent all of my bits on 'extra ponies'. When we got doughnuts, it was perfect. We sat and talked for hours as we ate our food. We almost missed our curfew we were so busy talking.

I am a bit surprised, but Princess Luna is teaching some martial arts stuff to Scootaloo. Apparently she was friends with a master of Gale King about a century before she turned into Nightmare Moon, and still remembers some of what he taught her (Even if she can't do it herself).

Tomorrow, Princess Celestia is going to have some new exercises set up to help me learn to control my magic better. I hope that I can get done with all of this 'control your magic' stuff so I can go on to learn some real spells and stuff.

---

It has been a few days since my date with Scootaloo. I am doing much better at controlling my magic, and next week when I come back to Canterlot I will be learning some new spells.

My magic has been feeling a little weird the last few days, spells haven't been using as much power as they should have, and my reserves don't seem to be draining at all. I will have to talk to Aunty Twilight when we get back about it. We will be going on the train later today, and I am sure Pinkie will have a party for us when we get back.

---

Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle walk up to us as we get off the train, "Hey Radiance and Scootaloo, how was Canterlot?"

Before I could respond, Scootaloo interrupts, "Oh, you know, just hangin' with the princesses, being marefriends with Radi, and earning this"- Scootaloo turns her flank towards Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle.

Apple Bloom was the first to speak up, "Whew-ee Scootaloo! Yah got yer cutie mark! Yah know wha this means?"- Sweetie and Bloom raise their voices together -"Cutie Mark Crusaders! Cuteceaneara Planners! YAY!"

Sweetie Belle pauses for a minute in thought, "Wait a minute, did you say 'being marefriends with Radi' when we asked you how Canterlot was?"

Scotaloo and I both blush, and I answer before Scoots could say something daffy, "Yeah, she did. She's totally my little Scootacutie now."

"Yea-HEY! I never said you could call me that in front of other ponies Radi!" We all start laughing as Scootaloo puts on an indignant pout.

Seeing her pout, I chuckle mischievously, "You do know you are even cuter when you pout right Scoots?"

"I'm not cute! I'm awesome!"

Scootaloo's last response earns a rebuke from Bloom, "Why can't yah be both ah reckon Scoots?"

I pipe in again, "Yeah Scootacutie, why can't you be both?" Scootaloo crosses her front hooves and mumbles indignantly.

Sweetie decides to be the better mare, "Come on girls, we teased her enough. Lets go see if Pinkie can set help us plan the party."

---

Scootaloo's Cuteceaneara was yesterday. It was very fun. There was cake and games and even a pinata in the shape of Discord. I actually wonder why somepony would make a Discord pinata… probably best not to think about it, or it will be the Tree Sap and Pine Needle store all over again.

I talked to Aunty Twilight about my magic earlier today. She did a magic scan on me and it seems like the organ unicorns have to regenerate magic is growing in. None of us were sure if it ever would, but seeing how my body is about the same maturity as a young unicorn who is about to start developing their magic, it doesn't seem quite so surprising. My changeling spells seem to use more power than they did before, but my unicorn spells use less. I think my magic is starting to balance out some more. I can still feed to increase my reserves, but I don't have to feed to recharge anymore (Although if I do spend a lot of my magic, feeding could help me recharge faster).

Mom took me to get milkshakes to celebrate my new recharging magic (nopony expected that *eyeroll*), and I asked her why she likes milkshakes so much. I can't remember her answer, as I ran to Aunty Twilight to have her erase the memory of what mom said. Apparently my mother has some really interesting infiltration stories I would rather not hear about…

Author's Note:

Sorry for the shorter chapter, and lack of ragging on blueballs...

When she next goes to Canterlot, which will be either the next chapter, or the one after that, there will probably be much more blueballing Blueballs.

Comments ( 46 )

Mom took me to get milkshakes to celebrate my new recharging magic (nopony expected that *eyeroll*), and I asked her why she likes milkshakes so much. I can't remember her answer, as I ran to Aunty Twilight to have her erase the memory of what mom said. Apparently my mother has some really interesting infiltration stories I would rather not hear about…

:rainbowderp::twilightoops:...:rainbowlaugh::twilightblush: HI-FREAKIN'-LARIOUS!!!!!!!

4469723 Hooray for childhood innocence destroying tales about a mother's love of milkshakes.

4469763 I don't think that it helps that I won a 25$ gift card in Newport on the Levee where the band called four dudes up on the stage for a competition thing. The competition was where we paired up, and the first team to put on a dress with belt, scarf, and necklace on one of their members, then take it off and put it on the other wins. I am feeling a tad less secure in my sexuality, but hey, 25$ for a nice seafood restaurant is worth it.

I will have to get a photo from my mom to post online (She was the one who convinced me to volunteer for the 'competition').

Or as George Takei would say: 'OH MYYYY!"

Interesting, her hybridization is taking effect...
The question now is, whether that will allow her to produce love as well....
Keep going! ;)

Nice chapter, though for a minute I read it as a Diamond Tiara shaped piñata and was both amused and horrified. I'm guessing that love from Scootaloo is helping Radiance reach her full potential. I'm glad Sweetie Bell and Applebloom accept Radi and Scootaloo's romance.

Oh dear... Also, I'm assuming changelings can be attracted to any gender because they can be any gender. Cool. Good chapter! xD

I liked the short up date, only having a few "diary entries" is better and more entertaining than having a huge wall of them, I find :pinkiehappy::twilightblush:

4469796 Changelings can produce love, but it cannot be fed on by other changelings due to issues. Changelings use emotive energy to fuel magic and some brain functions. Radiance is only part changeling, so she doesn't need to feed to recharge her magic now. BUT, her recharging is slightly slower than normal unicorns, and feeding helps her fill up faster (and helps her increase her reserves if done right). Either way, she is much better off than she could have been at this point on the evolutionary dice throw.

(Sigh) This was a decent chapter, but Radiloo still doesn't work for me. :unsuresweetie: I'm still going to read though. :twilightsheepish:

4472005 Don't worry, not all of the chapters will be radiloo

4588923 Did you not get any of the five-thousand references to that series?
Because a lot of them are pretty obvious. And I even said that I made a lot of references to that series in the Author's Notes.

~Crystalline Electrostatic~

JT

4589432

Are we all signing our names at the end? Awesome!



~JT, The huge dude wielding a splitting maw who will fuck up your day for the sake of fucking it up~

4674082 Actually, that is just my signature I use whenever I post something on this site...

~Crystalline Electrostatic~

4674398 Same here.
Cool story by the way!
A good mix of diabetus inducing cuteness,
some well placed hilarity and just general goodness.
Applause from me!

//Avalon\\

4847754 Thanks. It's comments like yours that makes me wish I wasn't stuck in a massive writer's block.

~Crystalline Electrostatic~

4848682 Eh, I'm sure you'll be back in action in no time!:rainbowdetermined2:

4848691 With my latest block, five weeks and counting...
It's a doozy... I am trying to come up with an interesting AU though...

~Crystalline Electrostatic~

4848701 Yeah, I saw the Blog post. Definitely sounds interesting! Good luck on the story as well as getting out of the block!

4848708 It's kinda funny actually, I woke up an hour early because my alarm clock was set wrong, and I don't have to go to work until 6:30, so I went online to kill that hour. I am thinking about working on some writing maybe if I can get started with something.

~Crystalline Electrostatic~

4848729 Heh. Tis not the case with me...
Seriously though, sometimes I think I'm a vampire.......

4848739 You know, if it was feasible for me to, I would have went nocturnal, but since I have too many things I have to do in the day, I can't...

~Crystalline Electrostatic~

4848748 Hm... The struggles of mortals...

4848750 The struggles of one living in a dystopian society. You may think that our current society isn't dystopian, but think about it: If the meaning of life is to enjoy yourself (spoilers?), but society is structured in a way that is directly opposing that truth, then is it not a dystopia?

~Crystalline Electrostatic~

4848761 Whoa... That there's some deep stuff....
By the way I gots to go! I'll talk to you later!:pinkiehappy:

4848769 You cannot contemplate the depths of my mind, for if you try, you will ultimately become lost. Also, farewell good person.

~Crystalline Electrostatic~

Is radiance a princess?

5425026 She is in the sense that she is the daughter of Queen Chrysalis. But as for being a princess like Celestia and Luna, no. Although after she fed on the Crystal Heart, her magical capacity is comparable to Princess Luna (Luna has about 1.5 times the power of Unicorn Twilight Sparkle, and Twilight Sparkle has about 5 times the power of a normal unicorn).

She amounts to a child with a loaded gun.

~Crystalline Electrostatic~

5425229 ok, I mean, is she a changeling princess? And don't say she is because she's the daughter of chrysalis, that would mean that everyling from her hive is a prince or princess.

5425299 Her title would be princess, but she hasn't came of age to fit her title yet.

~Crystalline Electrostatic~

5649508 Nope, totally my own thing roundstable.com/forums/images/smilies/liarjack.gif

In all seriousness, I am a big fan of the savage skies series, so I had to make a little shout-out to moguera with this...

~Crystalline Electrostatic~

you should continue this at some point

5793520 I probably will once I get my shit together.

~Crystalline Electrostatic~

6822160 Ehh, not really... I mean they exist in this universe, but they aren't really going to have any moments in this fic.

~Crystalline Electrostatic~
10:2_1/11/2016

A good premise, but absolutely terrible in execution. The writing quality is almost incomprehensible. The pacing is so bad that I have no words to describe how bad it is. Don't even get me started on the grammar, punctuation, and spelling issues, because I really don't want to drive anyone into a depression about how unskilled they are at writing.
Just gonna say, this is terrible. Learn to write things before trying again.
I do like the idea of this "story" though. You do have a decent concept that isn't really explored all that much on this site.

sound familiar, plus this story has been on hiatus since 2014 and it's fucking 2016

7831413 I admit, I can be an asshole, but that said, at least I didn't copy-paste someone else's comment. Take my thumbs up anyways...

I really should have just marked this cancelled ages ago to be honest.

~Crystalline Electrostatic~
2:30_12/31/2016

Well I enjoyed the story, much than I originally thought I would, and it was a nice read or two before falling asleep.

Sadly I would love new chapters but I'm grateful atleast reading it.

when are you going to update?

8115051 I actually plan on rewriting both this and it's prequel sometime in the future once I get the time and a plan sorted out.

~Crystalline Electrostatic~
15:0_4/23/2017

8115115
Looking forward to the reboot :coolphoto:

Is the story dead?

11207307
That's just something with the same name, it's a different story though.

Login or register to comment