• Published 23rd Feb 2014
  • 1,058 Views, 15 Comments

Love And Loss - Starlight Shadow



Zecora used to be a mother. As they walk through the Everfree, Zecora tells Apple Bloom the story of her lost child, Fern.

  • ...
2
 15
 1,058

Among The Grasses

Apple Bloom stuck close to Zecora, the odd scents of various plants perfuming the Everfree's air. They were herb-collecting together, one of Apple Bloom's favorite pastimes. Sure, she liked spending time with her family, especially her sister, but Zecora was somepony- or rather, somezebra -she could spill everything to, without worrying about whether or not she'd end up interfering and making things worse. All Zecora would do was give her advice, and more often than not, it was good advice. But Zecora had never told her anything about herself.

"Zecora?"

"Yes, Apple Bloom?" Zecora responded in her odd accent.

"Ah've told you about mahself and mah troubles plenty of times before, but you've never told me a single thing about you except what your name is. Why's that?"

Zecora heaved a sigh. She stared out at Ponyville, which was slowly darkening as the night fell. "Apple Bloom, my dear, you are correct. I believe it's time for me to tell you a bit about myself."

Apple Bloom cocked her head to the side. "That didn't rhyme. You always rhyme when you talk."

"The reason I rhyme most of the time, is to keep my mind focused on the rhyming, so I will not think about....her." A single tear ran down the length of Zecora's cheek, splashing against her black hoof. "Sit down, Apple Bloom, and allow me to explain."

They both sat, the tall grasses of the plains around Ponyville rustling in the cool breezes. The stars began to flicker on, like Hearth's Warming lights when somepony flicked the switch. But the zebra and her young charge didn't notice, as Zecora began to recount her tale.

****

Zecora and her daughter, a young zebra named Fern, walked serenely through the tall yellow grasses of the grasslands where they lived. They were searching for a new herd, after the old one they were a part of disbanded. Each of Zecora's steps were calculated and precise, her head constantly turning from side to side as she scanned the area for predators. Part of this land was lion country, she knew, but if they were careful they could skirt the edges with no trouble.

"Mommy?" Fern poked Zecora's leg. "Why can't we just run across? It's faster."

"Fern, that's dangerous. Lion territory is over there, they'll eat us alive." Zecora nudged her little foal closer.

"But I don't see any lions."

"They hide in the grass, waiting. Waiting to pounce on little zebra foals like yourself who only have their mothers. It's not safe."

"But I'm a super fast runner, Mom. I could get to the other side in a blink! And I'm not a foal anymore. I'm almost old enough to find my own herd." Her voice took on a defensive air.

"I'm not saying you aren't growing up, but nozebra, no matter how old they are, no matter how fast, can run through lion territory and survive."

Fern harrumphed. "But still. Can't we skirt through part of it, at least? Or go along the border?"

"That's what I was planning on doing, love. If we go along the border, we can make it up to the mountains easily."

They walked, slow but steady, along the edge of the border, Fern sticking closely to her mother's side. Zecora's ears were flat against her head. Even though this route was one commonly used by the zebras in order to get up to the mountain village, it still scared her to use it. Lions weren't afraid to snap up zebras that used the route, even though it was outside their territory.

They caught sight of a lion prowling through the grasses. It was a noble beast, its golden pelt blazing in the last rays of sunlight. The sight was frightening and awe-inspiring.

The lion turned and caught sight of them. They both froze as its predatory eyes locked on them, as it crouched, ready to run and pounce, those claws and teeth spelling out death for many a zebra.

"Run, run, run!" Zecora and Fern ran along the path, their black hooves pounding the hard-packed earth. The lion ran alongside them, seemingly enjoying the hunt. The entrance to the web of caves that led up to the mountain village was in sight, they just needed to run a few more yards... Zecora poured it on, slowing briefly so Fern could run ahead. She needed to keep Fern safe, whatever the cost.

The lion swiped at Fern's back leg, producing a high scream from the foal. They both made it through, however, managing to disappear into the caves' shadow. They both held in their panting until they were sure the lion had left.

"Mommy..." Fern whispered in a trembling voice. "My leg..."

The lion had managed to cut a long gash down Fern's leg, blood steadily dripping from it. Zecora stared at the wound in horror, trying to process everything that had just happened, and figure out a plan.

"It'll be okay, Fern, it's alright. We'll get up to the village, it isn't terribly far, and we'll get somezebra to fix you up. You're going to be okay, Fern. I promise." They trudged through the caves, leaving a faint red trail behind them.

****

Zecora paused, more tears making their way down her face. Apple Bloom stared open-mouthed.

"Did Fern make it? Was she alright?"

Zecora closed her eyes. "She made it up to the village, and they tended to her the best they could. But the mountains and the plains do not have the same herbs that I have here, and the wound ended up getting infected anyway. She got very sick, and she made her way to the sky herd." Yet more tears.

"Ah guess the sky herd is what zebras call heaven." Apple Bloom said quietly. "Zecora?"

"Yes, Apple Bloom?"

"Do I remind you of Fern?"

Zecora was silent for a minute. "That was the first thing I noticed about you- that you reminded me of my little Fern."

As the stars twinkled in the night sky, Apple Bloom imagined a little zebra foal running among them, faster than the fastest of wild cats.

Author's Note:

Zecora is an awesome character, with a lot of potential. It's a shame us fanfic writers use next to none of it.

For the people out there who are going to call me out on the fact that zebras live in herds, for the sake of this fanfiction I'm going to assume that Zecora and her foal are Grevy's zebras. According to Wikipedia, groups of Grevy's zebras rarely stay together for more than a few months.

Also, zebra herds are called harems. :rainbowlaugh: I used the term herds in this because that is just ridiculous.

Comments ( 15 )

Just read the title. Already hooked in. Story shows promise.

man, you drop stories like it's no ones business! :twilightsmile:

LIKE! FAVORITE! AND! Maybe a follow. :trollestia:

if you called it a harem people might have taken it wrong :rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh:

Headcanon accepted. Also, I'm sure I saw someone asking why there was so few Zecora fics in (at least I think it was) The Writers Group and then later on in the thread telling that her/his (oh, in Swedish we have the perfect word for this kind of situations, hen!:applejackunsure:) headcanon was that Zecora rhymed so that she wouldn't think to much about her sad and tragic past, was that you?

3996999
I knew it!:twilightsmile: glad you made a story with your headcanon! When I read that thread I thought, dam, I would love a story based on that headcanon!:pinkiesmile:

3997029 Thanks for the follow, by the way. :heart:

3997083
Oh, your welcome! I just felt like you were one of those persons I should follow for some reason!
Check out my story, would you please? I've precisely added an awesome cover art (not done by me) to it!:pinkiehappy:

I like the story, but Zecora's reasoning for rhyming conflicts greatly with my headcanon. I enjoyed your backstory for Zecora and it'll fit into my headcanon on why she started shamanism, but that will always be, to me, why she rhymes.

Thank you for your contribution.

Great story. I like how Zecora rhymes to keep her mind off of Fern but hangs out with AB a lot because she reminds her of Fern. Yeah I just assumed people didn't use Zecora that much was because it would be annoying to write. Also probably a good call on the harem herd thing.

Please keep going

Poor zecora. Ill ever look at her the same wayagain:fluttercry::applecry:

Damn you making this heat touching fic:raritycry::raritydespair:


... You've earned my favourite and follow

This was right in the goddamn feels. :raritydespair:

Login or register to comment