• Published 31st Jan 2014
  • 5,772 Views, 24 Comments

Promises - Alexandrite Ward



Fluttershy refuses to leave. She promised him, after all.

  • ...
1
 24
 5,772

Forever

Discord stares at the wall, at his piano, its keys glistening in the candlelight, but he does not think of music. He thinks of a hundred ways he might torment Celestia. He thinks of what he will have for supper, and of the smell of sunlight.

Discord does not think of her. He does not feel. He does not see her. He will not, cannot turn around. He keeps his eyes on the wall, the piano, anything else. He thinks of nothing at all, and simply says, "Go."

"Go?"

And he cannot see her, but he hears in her voice. She had expected something different, and her surprise damn near breaks him. Had she thought…? A monster, yes. Now she knows he is a monster. Now she expects him to curse and maim. She sits here—she sits here in his dark cave he pretends to call a home—prepared for scourges and flame. And she thinks he will be cruel to her.

Discord smiles. Swallows. Smiles wide again.

He has taken knives to the ribs that hurt less than this.

"I don't want you anymore, dear."

He hears her breathing, so loud, echoing in this forgotten place. He still feels her mouth on his, still tastes her, still needs her in a way that warps and terrifies him.

Go, he thinks, Run.

But Fluttershy draws her legs up under her on the bed, and does not move.

"Well," she snaps. "I suppose you should have thought of that earlier."

This—no. This he did not expect. He spins and stares—he wants to fight; show claw and fang—but she stares him down. She simply sits, her back to the wall, her feet tucked beneath her skirt, her pretty face a war. (She isn't running—dear god, please go)

"What?"

Fluttershy stares him down. She stares him down. And he can feel his ramparts crumble.

"We had a deal. Forever. You promised." Her eyes are so sharp, her mouth a blade. She will destroy him. One day, she will be the death of him.

Discord is drowning and he knows he must be quick.

"Then consider this a… renegotiation. You will leave my home at once, and I won't kill everypony you hold dear." He grins, all teeth and pain and shattered stone. "Deal?"

But still, Fluttershy does not move. She does not move. She is sitting in a cave, a snarling monster in her lap, and this fool, this wretch—this precious, beautiful, lovely creature—simply eyes him like he's been a naughty child.

"I promised I'd go with you forever. You promised the safety of my friends, my animals and my family forever. The deal, as you've said, is struck."

"Do you truly think I care? I could have killed you without a thought. Promises my dear, can be broken in my world. I am chaos, after all."

And Fluttershy—she smiles. A tiny thing, as though she believes she is winning—winning her way into this cave, a lifetime as a monster's sick little pet and oh, congratulations dear, what a terrific idea.

"Promises," she says, as if explaining, "contracts, deals—they're the very foundation of all civilized existence. We can no more break our accord than we can reorder time."

She's fighting, he realizes. She's fighting to stay.

Discord feels the world shift beneath his feet. There is a mare in his home and she says she will not leave.

He thinks his paw and claw are shaking, feels them trembling at his sides. And Fluttershy sees. Of course she sees. She watches as he tries to hide, to fold this bewildering new weakness out of sight, and it is as though he has given her some kind of sign. She breathes again. She breathes.

And Discord had not noticed when she'd stopped.

Gently, she whispers, "I'm not going anywhere, Discord."

He wants, so badly, to kiss her. He wants to offer her his heart in his hands, however bruised the pulp. He wants to snarl and spit and fight and hurt. He wants to run—he wants to hide, he wants to bury his head and wait for this to pass in his fraying, familiar misery. He wants to be lonely. He—he likes being lonely. Whoever heard of a monster cursed with domestic bliss?

But he does not run. He hardly thinks. His heart pounds at his throat. His ribs feel vast and empty.

"I'm letting you go," he shouts. "I release you!"

Fluttershy shakes her head, still smiling. She stands.

"You little idiot! You're free." He throws the door wider, points, demands, "Rejoin the world of the living. Go! Run!"

She comes close—so close, so blisteringly close. She wraps her arms around his sides. She tucks her head beneath his chin.

And she breathes.

Slowly, shaking, Discord holds her. He rests his paw and claw on her back, finds places fashioned for them there. He feels her breath, her heat, her heartbeat.

"You're running the wrong way," he whispers.

"I love you," she says.

He worries he might squeeze too tightly.

"You don't."

He worries he might drag her into a war she cannot fight. Might make a target of her. Might make her a creature reviled for her place at his side.

"I won't kiss you, if you'd rather," Fluttershy says, her voice low and so sweet. "But we made a deal, Discord."

Her hair smells of straw and sunlight. He wonders, is this what love is like?

"I could break it," he offers, barely above a croak.

"No." He feels her smile. He feels her. "I don't think you would."

Author's Note:

Hope you enjoy it. It's good as a stand alone piece or, for those who have read my large story, as a companion piece to Opera Phantom Discord. This is what could have happened when Discord let Fluttershy go, it was a bit of a "what if" scenario that popped into my head.

Comments ( 24 )

Beautiful.

A nice little blurb of emotions, but your readers won't be expecting humans - especially based off of the picture.

I remember reading the Opera Phantom Discord story but never finished. It was a nice surprise tonight to see your stuff again, just from looking randomly in the new story section.

One thing - and I'm pretty sure it's intentional - is when you repeat certain phrases over and over. I know that's for effect, but personally I find it distracting, and because it happens so much, it makes the story's descriptions feel superfluous and "stuck".

Fluttershy being a monster herself is a nice take on this ship. I'm not aware if Discord has the same powers here as he does normally, but I'm assuming he'd be the victim either way.

Again, nice short story. :pinkiehappy:

This reminds me a lot of "Once Upon a Time" in the Beauty and the Beast episode. The dialogue is very similar.

3871946
I was watching it a few days ago and it did give me ideas, hopefully it's not to similar? I'll have to take a look, I didn't want to pull much from it, it originally reminded me of a scene from Phantom Opera Discord and not so much from Once Upon a Time but it was the original spark for this.
I've changed the dialogue a but, this was a rough draft when posted, and I took what you said into account, so if you want to take a look hopefully it will feel more original. I always appreciate your comments! :)

3871872

I'll take your idea into consideration and take another look at my story, I may not need a lot of repeating to get my ideas across (but I also need 1000 words xD) The key to this story is change, and change is a scary thing, for Discord and Fluttershy.
I've changed things around a bit if you want to take a look :) I wasn't able to get rid of a lot of the repetition though, was there any spot you felt was really bad? I'd be happy to clean that up. I want the story to flow as good as possible.

3871812

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it! :pinkiehappy:

3873776 Nah, it's really fine. I pointed out all the things I could find in my last post, though I did have trouble trying to figure out the setting and what was supposed to be going on. But I think that assisted it in a weird way. Good job with your story!

Love it keep doing your best:heart:
Will always be waiting for another story:pinkiehappy:

I hope you make something like phantom of the opera discord. Like try to get it with blueblood fighting for fluttershy's love . Pretty please even through I wanted to back hoof him every chapter but the stories made me cry. U and Disney fanatic has inspired me to write a story of my own I hope it comes out by summer and I hope u will read it any way lively and so passionate storie

I was rooting for her to pull something like this during that scene. :yay:

:fluttercry::raritycry::raritydespair::fluttercry:
It....it..... him..... they..... I'm crying....
Sweet Luna!

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

I really hate this ship, but dear god did you write this well.

Because I'm lazy, I'm just going to paste in bits of my blog review here:

This utterly blindsided me. It is far and away the best FlutterCord [Romance] story I have read. Admittedly, many such fics are absolute tripe, but this one is genuinely excellent – and quite beautifully written, too. Even if you despise the pairing, you'll probably get something out of the quality of the prose. If you only ever read one FlutterCord shipfic, make it this thousand-word gem.

7398598 Thank you very much! I always love it when people enjoy my stories.

7400704 Well, who doesn't? But this one was wonderful. I wish I'd read it much sooner.

7128723


HOW DARE YOU? it IS ONE OF THE BEST SHIPS IN THE UNIVERSE!!!WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!!!???:flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage:

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

8021739
I don't see Discord as having anything in common with mortals, let alone the ability to connect with them the a deep, emotional level needed for true romance.

Also, it's just so obvious a ship. There's no challenge in it, no effort needed to put these two together. It's just like SoarinFire that way, gross and boring.

Great job! You did a beautiful job in writing these characters! It's very emotional, I love how you wrote Discord's emotion in this situation. Amazing job!

Such a sweet little drabble of one of my favorite stories of all time!

I love this and I can see the Rumbelle influences from OUAT episodes “Skin Deep” I wish Belle had reacted this way.

Mmmm deliciously emotional. 1000/10 stars.

Login or register to comment