• Published 4th Nov 2013
  • 2,196 Views, 72 Comments

Colder Weather - Merc the Jerk



Rarity and Spike head north. Their mission? Find and retrieve the plans for a weapon that could turn the tide of a once-hopeless war. It seems like a romantic getaway in the snowy mountains. But nothing could be farther from the truth...

  • ...
20
 72
 2,196
This story has been marked as having adult content. Please click below to confirm you are of legal age to view adult material in your country.

Confirm
Comments ( 13 )

Great ending as this truly was a life changing experience for the both of them.

I cannot wait to read what's next in this little world of yours. So please do keep up the good work. :raritywink:

God dammit, it's over already... :raritycry:
I admit a very large chunk of the reason I like the Heistverse so much is because of this pairing and when I first read you made a separate story focusing these two, I was ecstatic! Now it's over...:ajsleepy:
I hope they'll return in the next Heistverse(s), but I'll keep following the series regardless, too damn good.:rainbowkiss:
God speed, Merc and Caged.:ajsmug:

3765068
We appreciate that greatly! It has turned out really spectacular, hasn't it? It's the sort of product that, even though I helped write it, when I go back to read it, it still blows me away. We love this stuff and are so pleased that comes through in an enjoyable, touching product.

Great story! Loved how it had action and romance. You really know how to take this whole series in different (and really good) directions.

4606520
Merc and I, man, we always love hearing your comments. It was important to us, when we decided to do an actual sex scene, to make it more than just the action movie-style obligatory pretty people rub over each other moment. It had to be real, it had to be right. We felt that the moment was true for these characters and are stoked to hear it came through in our words.

Sex is, ultimately, just another tool in the writer's repertoire. And too many people here use it as simple fluff or fulfillment, for just a little titillation to tempt the appetites of Average Reader. And while we certainly didn't want it to come off flat or boring--a steamy, sensual scene should be just that, after all--we ultimately only included it because this is where the characters are. For them, it's not just a pleasurable act. It's a symbolic ritual, the ultimate physical expression of their love. There is no physical way to get closer to another human being. Combined with cementing Rarity's new view of Spike as a man, an equal, and it's immeasurably binding the two together as one. And we're glad you, and others, saw that.

Certainly this will not be the last time you see us take the plunge in the Heistverse.

4612591

Certainly this will not be the last time you see us take the plunge in the Heistverse.

No, I should certainly say not. And I'm glad I'm able to provide these comments for you, but I feel it only necessary since you and Merc both provide the other hundreds of thousands of readers here on this site with such amazing works of literature.

You make a very excellent point, too, one that I was trying to convey with my previous comment. With things like that, it shouldn't be about the physical act, though the act shouldn't be downplayed. The focus of those types of scenes should be the souls of two people in love, no matter the circumstances, be it a casual Friday at home in the city, a quiet night in the countryside or even a brief respite from ducking bullets and fighting for your life, it should be about those two souls coming together in the dark to create a light of their own, one they can cherish and treasure together.

Now, all that said, I need to comment on the shootout scene in the previous chapter.

First and foremost: The good Father is a fucking badass. Need I say more?
Secondly, that whole scene was written about as well as everything else: perfectly. No detail was spared, everything in that crazy lifetime-condensed-in-a-minute moment was perfectly executed, described and written. It wasn't one-sided by any means for either party, attacking or defending. Both sides had casualties, injuries, the odds were stacked just right so that it wasn't too easy, but it wasn't, "Alright, let's go take down a Colossus with nothing but this twig" type stuff. It was balanced, an element that you and Merc seem to have practiced and mastered, along with romance, action and, of course, comedy.

I can't say it enough, guys, keep doing what you do and you'll make it far.

4615874
I'll admit to some of the other, but I think I'm obligated to say that Merc is likely the only source of comedy. I try, but I'm just nowhere near his league of funny, which should be obvious to anyone who has read his individual works.

4617026 Either way, both of your works are amazing and fun to read, something that I think everyone can agree with me on. You both have talent, and you're putting it to VERY good use. :twilightsmile:

I know, this comes late but I just read it a second time and something terrible has struck me.
Please don't tell me that Rarity is pregnant. If she is than this is a hell of a surprise. :twilightoops:

6254131

Oh yeah, I could see that being hard to follow if English wasn't your native language. Still though, thanks for the interest!

Login or register to comment