• Published 12th May 2014
  • 1,975 Views, 13 Comments

Eternal Night - Ebonysdagger



Twilight's friends are being ridiculous. There is no such thing as real vampires regardless of what the tales say. There is especially no such thing as the Vampire Queen.

  • ...
2
 13
 1,975

A Story Before You Go

“And that was when Aberash drove the wedge of wood deep into the Queen’s heart while chanting a blessing of the sun.” Rarity finished telling the story she had recently heard from Zecora to her audience. Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, and Applejack nodded along to the story paying close attention as they all awaited Twilight’s arrival at an outdoor diner.

“I recall a similar story being spread around at flight school when me and Flutters went there concerning such a thing. They said that a female vampire once made her home in a mountain near Cloudsdale’s usual circuit during the months of October and November. I don’t recall much else about it.” Rainbow added in looking to the others.

“I… I remember the stories. I couldn’t sleep for weeks after hearing about them. They said she would take straggling young pegasi and do things to them.” Fluttershy sunk her head below the table they were all sitting around.

“Probably just something the teachers tacked on to try and spur you little ‘uns to work harder.” Applejack weighed in. “Personally I’ve dealt with vampires before and they aren’t that bad. Leave a mess and care little for what is around them but they don’t scoop up just any old thing either. Then again those are vampire fruit bats so perhaps a vampire pony would be different.”

“I don’t know about that. My granny told me stories that sound very similar. Apparently back in her own grandmother’s time there was a terrible war between the griffons and Equestria. Apparently at some point in the middle of the war a dark castle appeared not far out from where my ancestor’s lived and from it appeared waves of vampires that swept over the battlefield.” Pinkie looked somewhat serious for once.

“Yeah, I heard tell of that too. Granny Smith was telling me about that as she was just a kid at the time it happened. Supposedly the vampires drove the griffons back and at first everyone thought we had won but then they turned on us ponies too. Apparently it is what helped our two races bury the hatchet as we joined together to kill them off. She says that Celestia herself took the field in the final battle and it lasted for days before the vampire’s queen fell to her.”

“Well that is dreadful. I was hoping that it was just some old tale of Zecora’s but now that you all have mentioned that I recall hearing similar stories before. Do you suppose it is always the same vampire?” Rarity asked of the group at large as they began to consider the different variations of the tales.

“Well that would depend.” A new voice interjected itself into the conversation. “First were all the physical descriptions of this ‘vampire queen’ the same? Second, do any of the stories account for a way she might have survived other than being an ‘immortal demon’? And lastly whether these tales are really stories of what they appear to be or revisions and imaginings of Princess Celestia’s fight with Luna?”

The group turned and gave a collective greeting to Twilight as she took a seat at the table with the others. “So, let’s get this resolved before I start on why I asked you all here. It might help get us all in the mood for solving some puzzles anyway.”

“Well in the account that Zecora told me this vampire queen was a unicorn with some rather unique magic. Now that I stop and think it sounds like her magic wasn’t that different than Sombra’s really. Aside from that she supposedly had a contagious bite that would turn any into another vampire rather than the usual nasty method. She was of a dark coloration with the usual stripes so many of us ponies have in her mane, perhaps purple or some sort of black. Zecora said that even the one who had fought her could not say what color her coat was exactly due to them fighting on a moonless night. Oh, and eyes that would turn those it glared at into mindless puppets for a time. The rest of the story seemed to detail how the vampire queen had mostly kept to herself in the zebra lands until they encroached on her little castle. Supposedly the first ones there had come to her castle seeking something of use since they had assumed it had been abandoned.” Rarity thought a moment longer before remembering one final piece of the story. “She also supposedly had a giant dragon that would carry out her orders. Supposedly he was lulled to sleep before the battle took place. I don’t think the story detailed any way she could survive given that it ends with a wooden alchemical stake through her heart.”

“From what I can recall the one we heard of sounds similar including the dark magic. The thing was in the version we had heard she could fly though I don’t know if that was from wings or some sort of air walking. Fluttershy says she heard that the queen walked on the air and would run down her prey to spirit them away while I recall having heard she had wings not unlike those guards of Luna’s. You know the leathery bat like ones. Supposedly she was wicked fast too which was why some of us little runts would make runs toward where her castle supposedly used to rest when Cloudsdale hovered around it. She was similarly dark in color in the stories we heard as well.” Rainbow pitched in for the Cloudsdale account.

“The version we heard never detailed how she was defeated. Supposedly she was run off by some royal guards in the version we heard. They did say that some evidence of experiments were found in her castle. So many that they burnt the place to the ground and salted the mountain upon which it rested. Nothing grows there anymore by the way and ponies have taken to calling it Bald Mountain.” Fluttershy would rather not recount some of what they said the experiments entailed. She figured Twilight could come up with ideas of what a wicked creature would do to ponies as experiments.

“The story from my Granny Pie was that the vampire queen was very hard to find. She never left her castle until the war started and even then she only took the field near the end. Before that she unleashed a horde of vampire ponies that had traits of both the bat ponies and unicorns. There were even some that had trace elements of other creatures in them. Supposedly at some point in the war vampire griffons even began to appear and they worked alongside the vamponies. She told me that her granny had seen the queen in person once. Supposedly she had been wounded in the battle and had landed near where she lived.” Pinkie actually had to stop for once and take in another breath of air before continuing. “According to her story the vampire queen was a dark purplish color all over. She couldn’t see her cutie mark as that was a section of the queen that had been sliced to ribbons in the battle above. She said her granny would never forget looking into those slit glowing eyes as they seemed to strike a griffon dumb and it flew straight to her. The queen simply sank her fangs into the griffon and began to regenerate her hp, mp, and body.” Here everyone kindly ignored Pinkie’s random terminology. “When she finished she tossed the griffon into the air with her magic as wings burst from her back that looked very similar to those of a griffon and took back to the field.”

“Yes, I heard tell similar from my granny. Supposedly during this great battle the vampire queen was very hard to take down because she could heal herself with just a few drops of blood and then usually would be strengthened in some way. Strength from Earth ponies, magic grew stronger form unicorns, and she would get faster or even the ability to fly from pegasi.” Applejack thought for a moment. “The story about her in the war though was that Celestia herself killed her. Supposedly jabbed her horn through her heart and then channeled solar magic or some such into the creature.”

Twilight thought for a moment about all their accounts. “Well the stories all seem to be interrelated but I’m not sure. On the one hoof the descriptions almost match save for the presence of extra limbs here and there. On the other in most of these instances she was slain in rather definitive ways. Not even Tirek could recover from having his heart pierced and he is pretty much an all out demon according to the legends.” Twilight hummed to herself for a few more moments.

“I can’t believe them as anything but old stories or propaganda. Not to throw off on your grandparents, girls, but I have read up on that war and there is no account of any such events in any of the books. In fact the only thing similar is that some rogue group of mercenary ponies showed up and then started trying to force payment for their protection in a small area of the country at the time. They say the leader was a female though that was very gifted with illusions. Perhaps she used some of the superstitions of the time to make herself more effective? On the bright side at least these aren’t more stories to make Luna look bad.”

“Twilight, darling, are you sure? I find it rather unsettling to hear the similarities myself.” Rarity asked.

“Yes. Besides, we all know there is no such thing as vampires just as there aren’t ghosts, curses, or hexes. Even if such stories were and are true, what does it matter? She sounds good and dead at least twice over.” Twilight nods to herself as if she considers the issue resolved. “Besides we have a job to do now that we are all here. Who would like to help me explore the castle in the Everfree?”

Author's Note:

Not the best chapter out there I'm afraid. Sorry if this isn't up to snuff but it demonstrates why I never use the rest of the mane 6. I can't really find a way to give them proper voice so it always feels flat when I write for any of the rest of them. I was supposed to have put this story out 6 months ago but I held it off because I could never get the right tone for the rest of the mane 6 to kick it off so I went with my initial idea of the story of Twilight upon the hill as the start. Hopefully the next chapter will be better what with there being less talking by the others and more shenanigans in the castle. Here's hoping.

Comments ( 11 )

YAY NEW UPDATS AND FAST UPDATES :derpytongue2:

5666585
Nope. I've just been dealing with other things.

Is this story dead?

8177129
Massively on the back burner might be the best way to put it. This one and another of mine rely on me writing for some characters I'm not happy with dialogue for so they are on hold until I can get a better handle on how to do their lines. I tried to write Chapter 3 for this quite some time ago but the dialogue of most of the mane 6 wasn't coming across as organic enough for my tastes.

Is this still going to be updated?

9096718
Eventually, yes. I don't like to abandon a story. When I'm not sure but it will be updated.

9097022
Ok cool I really liked this one :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment