• Published 4th Sep 2013
  • 1,754 Views, 19 Comments

Fillies' Play - Goldenheart



A spell of Twilight's goes horribly wrong when her friends are accidentally reverted to their filly age. Set in the Manehattanverse

  • ...
0
 19
 1,754

Chapter 6: New Beginnings

Author's Note:

Sorry about the delay, I had a lot going on like the holidays, and family business. After this, I'll be going on hiatus for about a month to take rest and for the group to catch up and get ready for the upcoming Gala arc. If this chapter seems sloppy, this took me weeks to get this story finished, and this chapter took me all night to finish. So I'll re-edit this story in the future. Until then, have a great New Years, and here's to new beginnings! As usual, Rate, Comment, Like, and Fav.

Fillie's Play
Chapter 6

6 hours remain......

About an hour ago Team Grifficorn, along with Tangerine and Sherbet, decided to finally get their supplies for the antidote. Tangerine and Hairy are going for the Phoenix Feather, while Maximus and Sherbet go to get the Poison Joke as his magic get it without being affected by the plant. They soon split up and race against time to complete their task.

-Manehattan Central Park Petting Zoo, 11:00 A.M.-

Tangerine and Hairy decide to get the Phoenix Feather from a phoenix at the Central Park Petting Zoo. They managed to get to the park in about an hour, and managed to find the zoo in the huge park. The petting zoo is a big attraction for all the little fillies and colts as they just love all the mystical animals that the zoo saves or takes care of. One of the centerpiece animals, is the phoenix.

Tangerine and Hairy then pay their way into the zoo and head off straight to the petting area. When they enter, they see the phoenix perched on one of the fillies backs, and is getting into the animal feed. Tangerine and Hairy have bought feed on their way in to get the phoenix's attention. As they put their feed out for the phoenix to get, it unfortunately starts getting eaten by the other animals. Pigs, rabbits, goats, and even a lynx, eat all of their food.

Tangerine and Hairy sigh as they go back to pay for more feed. This time when they got back, they keep the feed on their backs. They then go over to one of the phoenix's, and try getting its attention.

"Here, phoenix, phoenix, phoenix.", coos Tangerine.

This gets the bird's attention, and flies over to Tangerine and lands on her back. The bird then starts munching on the feed. Without even thinking, Tangerine awes at this sight, and pets the bird. Hairy is also awed at this sight, and starts petting the bird as well.

"You know, I never have seen a real phoenix up close.", says Hairy.

"Really? I would've thought that on your expeditions, that you could have seen at least one of these magnificent animals.", questions Tangerine.

"Well, there is this one time Maxy and I did come across them, but not in a pleasant way.", says Hairy.

-----------------------

On one of our jobs to the Everfree Forest, we were to retrieve an ancient tome from the Ruins of the Royal Pony Sisters. We managed to get to the ruins, but it was going to rain and we need to find shelter. So we ducked back into the forest and laid underneath a tree to shelter from being cold and wet. We then only realized that the tree we were being sheltered from, housed a family of phoenix's in their nest. So Maxy got this 'brilliant' idea to see them up close and try to see if any of the eggs didn't hatch. He wanted to try and sell that egg and give it to a pet shop for a quick bit. As he climbed the tree, he couldn't reach the last branch, and was so close to getting the egg. He then tried to reach for the nest, but he then accidentally shook the nest so hard that the nest started falling down, along him with it. As he hit the ground, the nest hits his head and the eggs land safely back on the nest. This is then we just realized that the parents were furious and were starting to chase us, all ablaze and everything. We started running away, with the nest still on Maxy's head, into the cold and wet night until it stopped raining. Afterward, we got the nest off his head, but came back to our office with no money, no book, and worst of all our only reward, were scorch marks on our bodies.

---------------------------

Tangerine then giggles at Hairy's funny story.

"That's a silly story you just told me.", giggles Tangerine.

Hairy chuckles along with her, "Hehe, ya. When you get down to it, that is a funny story."

They then both laugh together. They are laughing so much, it's getting everypony's attention in the petting zoo. Then some are whispering if they're on a date or something. After that whisper, Tangerine and Hairy get themselves together.

"You know, you aren't that bad of a guy.", says a happy Tangerine, "I just thought you two were greedy thieves.".

"It's okay, I never liked lying to you all, it made me sick just thinking about it.", says a disgusted Hairy.

Tangerine then feels sorry for him, as he tried to tell the truth from the start.

"You know, when this is all over, how about you come with me to see my friends?", asks Tangerine.

"Really?", questions Hairy.

"Really! My friends and I are the Cutie Mark Crusaders! We go all over town and try different things to find our cutie marks. If you tell us some of your stories, that may give us an idea where we could get our cutie marks!", says a very glee Tangerine.

"Of course! I would give anything to have friends of my own!", says a very joyous Hairy, "After we get this feather, I'll be sure to tell all your filly friends my adventures!"

They both nod their heads and get ready to take the phoenix feather, but realize that the bird isn't feeding on Tangerine's bag anymore and is now on Hairy's bag.

"Okay, while its eating, you grab the pluck the feather, and prepare to run for it.", says a cautious Hairy.

As Tangerine quietly reaches for one of the bird's tail feather, she gives Hairy this 'Why?' look. Just as she plucks the feather off, the Phoenix caws in pain and is now ablaze with anger. This also cause the other animals to run away in fright and escape the petting zoo area. The phoenix is now taking flight and starting to dive towards Tangerine.

"Run for your very life!", screams Hairy at the top of his lungs.

Both he and Tangerine try to book it for the zoo's exit as the phoenix is hot on their trail. While running, this is also causing the zoo patrons to panic as well, as all the ponies are trying to duck and cover from this sight. Also, the other petting zoo animals are running amok in the zoo and are causing a huge mess. With all this chaos going around, they both manage to make it to the exit of the zoo, but the phoenix is still not stopping. While running through the park, they find a pond nearby.

"Quick, into the pond, it won't follow us there!", quickly says Hairy.

They then reach the edge of the pond and jump in. With the water giving them cover, the phoenix stops over the pond and wants to keep up its pursuit. Eventually it gives up and flies off. Tangerine and Hairy both get out of the pond for air and managed to lose the bird. Dripping wet and cold from the water, they start to walk off, but Tangerine realizes something.

"We forgot the feather!", panics Tangerine.

"Not so fast", interrupts Hairy.

Hairy pulls the wet feather out from under his wing. Tangerine jumps for joy and hugs Hairy very tightly.

"This is fantastic! Now we can help our friends!", gleefully shouts Tangerine.

" 'Our' friends?", emphasizing Hairy.

"Yes, you're my friend now.", says a smiling Tangerine.

She then kisses Hairy on his feathery cheek as Hairy blushes. The flower on Hairy's necklace then starts to glow.

"The flower is glowing!", says a surprised Hairy.

"Let's hurry back to the shop!", hastily says Tangerine.

They then both run out of the park and start to head back to the shop after completing their objective.

-------------------------

Elsewhere, at the same time....

-Madison Mare Garden, 11:00 A.M.-

Sherbet and Maximus make it to Madison Mare Garden to find a field of poison joke for the antidote. Maximus volunteered himself for this specific item, cause poison joke affects those who touch the plant as the effects are dependent on the one who touches it to be opposite of the individuals most used attribute and makes a joke out of it. With Maximus' horn he'll be able to carry the plant without touching it.

They enter the gardens and look for the directory to find the poison joke patch.

"I hope we can get this plant without angering any of the staff.", says a concerned Maximus.

"Don't worry, I'll make sure to explain the whole situation after this is all over. The Oranges sometime do business here to deliver some of the unique orange trees here from all over Equestria.", explains Sherbet.

Maximus nods and goes back to check the map. He find the icon for the poison joke and sees that it's at the back of the building.

"Alright, let's go!", shouts forth Maximus.

As they start to trek through the garden, Sherbet feels like she wants to start a conversation. After hearing their history, she wants to get to know these two treasure hunters and know what they're like.

"Sooo, have any good deeds?", awkwardly says Sherbet.

"What's that", says a confused Maximus.

"Oh, I'm just wondering. Do you have any memory of doing something good for another pony?", asks Sherbet.

Maximus taps his head to think of a memory. He then gasps at the thought and giggles a bit.

"What's so funny?", questions Sherbet.

"I've just remembered a funny story that may answer your question.", replies Maximus.

------------------------

During one of our treasure runs, we had to find a rare diamond in an abandoned mine for a upper-class pony from Canterlot. When we searched the mine, we noticed that it was recently cleaned out. It turned out, that somepony had searched the mine and found the last large diamond, I read about it in the paper after we searched the mine. He then sold the diamond to an aged mare to be cut and polished to be worn as a necklace. Then one day, when we were about to go to our employer, we saw the old mare in a store and that she was about to leave. I saw that she had dropped the diamond on the sidewalk. I would've right then and there take the diamond and give it to our upper-class employer. Then I realized that if I did this for him, I would be a mere servant for the upstart, high-class, and snobbish ponies again. So I picked up the diamond, and I gave chase for the mare to give it back. When I caught and was going to give it to her, she freaked out and thought I was stealing it from her. She smacked me with her bag and I was apologizing over and over hoping to stop her from hitting me. Afterwards, I dropped the diamond and booked it back to our shop with Hairy following me from behind.

----------------------------

Sherbet starts to laugh really hard after hearing such a silly story.

"What's so funny? I told you about me doing a good deed.", questions Maximus.

"I know, but it's just so silly for somepony to take you as a thief!", laughs Sherbet.

Afterwards, they manage to find the poison joke patch. They're so little of them around, and there's even a pointed railing to stop little fillies and foals from sneaking in there to touch the plant. The most noticeable thing about the patch is a sign planted in the middle of the patch that states in bold red, "DO NOT TOUCH!".

"Okay, I'll use my levitation to pick a couple leaves. Once I have it, I'll have to concentrate until we make it back. If at any time I get tired, you'll support me.", explains Maximus.

Sherbet nods in agreement. Maximus points his horn to the patch and starts to concentrate on plucking the leaves. As he's doing this, the leaves are being surrounded by a dark crimson aura. As he's levitating the leaves, a small breeze goes by and some pollen flies away from flowers. Some the pollen passes by and comes near Maximus' nose. One of the pollen then gets in his nose. Maximus then knows this is going to be bad, considering that the poison joke is floating above his head. His nose starts twitching and he tries to hold it back, but then starts to sneeze.

"AACHOOOO!", sneezes Maximus.

As he loses his concentration of his levitation spell, the poison joke then falls and lands on his head.

"Umm..", mumbles Sherbet.

"Not a word. Let's get back and fix this before the spell is permanent, and fix my upcoming illness.", plainly says Maximus.

While not noticing, the flower on his necklace starts to glow.

--------------------------

-Harlem: Zebrica Medical Aid, 12:00 P.M.-

5 hours remain......

Both groups managed to get the materials they needed, but both came back in a very odd way. Hairy and Tangerine come back all soggy and wet with a phoenix feather in Hairy's mouth, while Maximus and Sherbet come back with a poison joke being held with magic. What's odd with Maximus though, is that he's now all blue and is shaking uncontrollably. Without questioning why Maximus is blue, they enter the tent and see Gilmaan in the center of the room tending to his cauldron. Gilmaan sees them and has a smile on his face.

"Thank goodness you made it, I've got the cauldron boiling and ready for your ingredients.", says Gilmaan as he then looks over to Maximus.

Gilmaan sees him shivering and blue all over while still holding the poison joke with his magic. Because of this sight, he can assume what happened.

"I'll also make a cure for your poison joke situation. Just put the materials in the cauldron and I'll be right back.", says Gilmaan.

Maximus and Hairy drop their items in the cauldron, and Gilmaan goes into the back room. While this is going on, the group gets back together and explain what has happened to each of them.

After they finish their stories, Hairy and Tangerine are drying themselves with towels while Maximus is wearing one. Tangerine speaks up on why Maximus is so cold and blue.

"Since his main attribute is his temper and his fiery attitude, his opposite is literally being cold and blue I guess", explains Sherbet.

Maximus nods while still shivering, and even sneezes from being cold. Gilmaan comes back with wooden tub on his back and a bottle in his mouth. He puts the tub and bottle down on the floor and pulls out a hose from the wall nearby. Since his tent is in the alley, he has an access to a hose for use from the side of the building. He turns on the hose and starts to fill the tub. As it gets full, he turns it off and gestures Maximus to get in.

"Y-y-y-you want m-m-me to get in t-t-t-there?", stutters Maximus.

Gilmaan nods.

"B-b-b-but it's c-c-c-cold.", shivers Maximus.

"It may not be warm, but this will help you with your poison joke problem.", explains Gilmaan.

Maximus doesn't want to argue, but wants to get this over with. He steps into the cold water of the tub sits down. Just then, Gilmaan picks up the bottle he brought with him and fills the tub with its content. Something small and green falls into the tub and starts mixing with the water.

"Wash yourself now, it'll get rid of the poison joke effects.", explains Gilmaan.

Maximus then starts splashing the water all over him. As he does this, his coat starts turning back to its regular crimson color and he stops shaking.

"Phew, glad that's over.", says a relieved Maximus.

Just as he finished his quick bath, something strikes in his head.

"The berries! We don't have them!" panics Maximus.

"Oh no. what are we going to do?!", panics Hairy.

Gilmaan chuckles a bit then approaches them and says, "Don't worry, you had the berries this whole time. Look at your necklaces.", then he points to their necklaces.

They both look down and see instead of a flower, there instead lies a golden berry.

"Wait, when did this happen?", asks Hairy.

"The necklaces I gave you where the senescit berries while in their flower stage. In order for them to give fruit, one must willingly give their time away to others. Only then can they truly bloom.", explains Gilmaan.

"Why didn't you tell us in the first place?", asks Maximus.

"Well then, how would you have made friends then?", questions Gilmaan.

Both Hairy and Maximus then realize how they got their necklaces to bloom. They had taken the time during their search to befriend both Tangerine and Sherbet. In turn, they sacrificed time to befriend them and have the berries give fruit. Hairy and Maximus then pluck the berries from their necklaces and go over to the cauldron.

They both look over to Tangerine and Sherbet and Maximus says, "Sorry to have put you all through this. With the berries here, we'll fix this whole mess and start over, as friends."

As Maximus then finishes his speech, both he and Hairy drop their berries into the cauldron. Just as the berries hit the liquid, the whole room in engulfed by a huge flash. While he couldn't see, Maximus could feel a very powerful magical energy flowing from it. The light dissipates and the group can see again. As they try to readjust their vision, somepony speaks out.

"Hey, I'm back to normal!", says a squeaky voice.

They look behind them and see a little filly standing next to Sherbet. They put two and two together and realize, that Tangerine has returned to normal! The whole group gasps at this, and Sherbet goes over to hug her daughter.

"Oh, I'm so glad you're back to being my little orange again.", says Sherbet with tears in her eyes.

"Momma please, you're squeezing me too hard.", says Tangerine.

Sherbet loosens her grip, but continues to hug her daughter. Maximus realize though that Sherbet is still a teenager. If he didn't know any better, they could both look like sisters.

"What the hoof happened! Wasn't this supposed to work!", yells Maximus as he turns to Gilmaan.

Gilmaan takes a bottle and fills it up with the now glowing liquid from the cauldron.

"This potion will reverse any effect of any time spell. This should be enough to cure all of your friends. I could only predict that the primary blast from the combining ingredients cured the filly, since she was affected by another potion. So I guess this potion canceled this.", explains Gilmaan.

Without hesitation, Maximus grabs the bottle with his magic and says, "We can't thank you enough Gilmaan. We'll repay you someday for this."

Gilmaan giggles and replies, "It was my pleasure to help any pony that seeks me out. Now make haste!"

The group then book it to leave the tent and wave goodbye at the same time as they galloped outside and into the streets.

Then Gilmaan says to himself all alone with a smile, "May our paths cross again my friends."

-------------------------

-Manehattan Library, 4:00 P.M.-

1 hour remains.......

They didn't have any luck catching a cab, so they had to run all across the city to make it back, but this proved to be difficult as this ate up their time. Somehow, they managed to make it back, but had to make it fast. They see the sun going down and realize they've got little to an hour before the spell is permanent. The library is in sight and use all of their strength to rush through the doors. The make it to the entrance and barge their way in. When they make it inside, they see the library in a complete mess. Books were either on the ground, in a plant, or torn up to pieces. Food is scattered as well, and from the look of it, it appears to be macaroni and cheese. They decide to go upstairs and check up on Twilight. They go upstairs and enter Twilight's room to see a weird sight. They see Spike on the ground exhausted, Twilight concentrating magic, and the other 4 fillies in a makeshift magical dome fast asleep.

As they're about to speak up, Twilight sushes them and speaks, "About time you got back, I didn't think you were going to make it. You got the potion right?"

Maximus floats the potion in front of her face, all while he has a smile on his face. Twilight then cheers but releases the magic barrier after losing concentration. As the fillies start to wake up, without questioning, Maximus forces all of the fillies to drink the potion. Twilight grabs the potion then drinks it and passes it over to Sherbet who takes the last sips of it. Then suddenly, all of the ponies start to glow and the light begins to engulf the room.

Then Tangerine, Hairy, and Maximus plainly state out loud, "Not again...."

Then multiple lights engulf the whole room and blinds everypony in the room. This time however, the flash was much shorter and disappeared as fast as it came. Again, Maximus readjusts his vision to see the group. Instead of fillies, he sees fully grown mares where the fillies once stood. Twilight comes to her senses and checks the scenery. After fully coming to, she sees her friends back to their regular ages. She then doubles checks her friends, Sherbet in the corner, and even herself in the mirror. She then can truly see, that everypony is back to normal.

"Oh thank Celestia, we're back to normal.", says a calm Twilight.

Spike shakes about and starts to wake up. He gets up and sees everypony in the room back to normal.

"Aww, I'm just dreaming. I wish I could see all of you guys back to normal for real.", denies Spike.

Octavia then goes over to Spike, hugs him, and says, "Thanks for taking care of us. You truly have a lot of heart."

She then give a kiss on his cheek, and Spike then realizes, "Okay, I'm not dreaming!"

Spike then goes over to hug Twilight. Twilight returns the hug and says, "It's over Spike, it's over."

Twilight lets go of Spike and is about to exit the room.

Spike then says, "Umm, I wouldn't see the library if I were you."

"Why", questions Twilight.

As she leaves the room, she sees the library as a complete mess. She then twitches her eyes and screams.

----------------------------

-Orange Residence, New Years Day-

"3, 2, 1....... Happy New Year!", shouts everypony.

They all cheer as everypony in the apartment celebrates New Year's Day after the clock rings midnight. After they got the library cleaned up the other day, Sherbet and Tangerine insisted Maximus and Hairy to stay until the New Year's party they are to hold, as a sign of thanks. Although the gesture is thankful, Team Grifficorn is down in the dumps as they will not get paid and will be on the streets again. Sherbet sees this and goes over to cheer them up.

"Hey cheer up, it's the beginning of a new year!", says a cheerful Sherbet.

"I wish it was, but without the money we'll be on the streets with nothing to our names. After what happened, I don't even though if we should go back to treasure hunting.", says a sad Maximus.

Everypony sees this and goes over to join the conversation. Each pony also speaks their opinion on what happened.

"What are you talking about? You went the distance to help me and my daughter get back to normal.", says Sherbet.

"I may not like it, but even I know you can find some treasure in this city.", says Daring.

"You may have lied to Trixie and everypony else, but you still helped in the end.", says Trixie.

"You may appear as a conniving snake, but you are truly noble beings through it all.", quotes Octavia.

"One of you even got infected by poison joke to cure us.", says Blossomforth.

"Don't give up because you are done, try to find other ways of helping ponies. We'll all be here to help out friends.", says Tangerine.

Maximus sees his new found friends all together and feeding him with kind words. Just to think the other day, he was lying to them to get only money, but receives friends in the end. Hairy then puts his claw around his friend's shoulder and give him a kind smile. Although this is comforting, something still clings to the back of his head.

"This is very thankful, really; But what can Hairy and I do besides treasure hunting?", questions Maximus.

The whole room goes silent, but eventually somepony speaks out.

"If your cutie mark is finding treasure, then technically can that be other things ponies treasure?", questions Spike.

They all turn towards him and are all ears to listen to his explanation.

"Why not start a lost and found business, and locate missing items that ponies really care for, something they consider as their 'treasure'.", explains Spike.

Everypony agrees to this and turn over to Maximus with this suggestion in mind. Maximus takes this in mind and has a small smile in approval. Although, there's one major thing he still needs, money.

"With an idea like that, we still need money to start up. We also need a place to live and setup shop.", explains Maximus.

"Don't worry, I can help with you two.", interrupts Mosely.

Maximus and everypony else in the room turn to him.

"You help my family and our friends. You may have had not the right intentions before, but you fixed your mistakes in the end. In return, I'll pay for your new business, a place to stay in the same building as your shop, and lastly pay off your debts.", explains Mosely.

After this, Maximus goes over and hugs Mosely faster than anypony else can react to this.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank yoooouuuu!", cheers Maximus.

He lets go and goes over to the cups filled with cider and proposes a toast.

"I want to propose a toast to you all. I want to thank your kindness, generosity, and giving both of us a second chance after what we caused. I learned that our personal intentions are never always right, and that taking advantage of other will only hurt you more instead of somepony else. Also, just when I thought it was impossible to trust anypony again, I gave another chance to experience friendship again, and would continue to know more about this as you, my new friends will help not only me, but my good friend Hairy as well.", says a hopeful Maximus.

"I also learned something too.", speaks out Sherbet.

It's Sherbet's turn to get attention from everypony as she explains her lesson.

"I learned that even though somepony may have bad dealings in the past, it doesn't mean that truly shapes them who they are, or what they can be. There can be a time to give them second chances, and a chance of redemption.", explains Sherbet.

Maximus then goes to the center of the group and holds his cup high, and everypony else does the same.

"So here's to a new year, and new beginnings.", says Maximus.

"To new beginnings!", repeats Twilight.

"Cheers!", shouts everypony as they clang their cups together.

Comments ( 4 )

Nice ending to this story. The only thing i should tell you about, like what Skye told me, is that tangerine doesn't talk in conjunctions.

Example: instead of sayin "you're", she says "you are".

3709814 Like I stated, I was tired while writing this, so I'll be going back to ebit these mistakes in the future, but thanks for sticking by my story.

3713584 Everybody has a different interpretation on how they act in MLP.

She then kisses Hairy on his feathery cheek as Hairy blushes. The flower on Hairy's necklace then starts to glow.

I ship it... even though technically it's inappropriate considering Tangerine's proper age. I think she's starting to experience the feelings that come with her transformed age.

Login or register to comment