• Published 27th Feb 2012
  • 2,776 Views, 187 Comments

The Fourth Alicorn - Cobalt the Kitsune



Twilight Sparkles new assignment is a little... different. An Alicorn colt who has no memory.

  • ...
52
 187
 2,776

Chapter 24: The Battle Beings

The sound of Reese pounding on his avil could be heard throughout what was left of the Everfree forest. He took to forging when he couldn’t think or was angry. So far he made a full set of armor a long sword and several knives of various sizes.

Trixie pushed through the door with a tray of greenery and a bowl of berries. Both were meek in portions “Eat up Reese.” She then set it at his work table.

Reese went over to the table they had made out some off the less burnt wood they found. Together Reese a Trixie were able to build a small two room house. Trixie's bedroom/ main room in the front. Reese quarters and smithery in the back.

Trixie noticed the red hot iron Reese had left on his anvil. “What is bothering you know.” she asked with a caring tone.

Reese seemed to ignore her and say. “Why is there so little to eat?”

“It’s all I could find.” both Reese and Trixie were nearly skin and bones. The armies of shadow as they burnt their way across Equestria the fertile farmlands were made barren, and every pony had to do with less the royals included

“Did you get to eat yet?” Reese asked.

Trixies only reply was. “I’ll be fine, you eat.”

“Trixie!” he chided.

“No, no no. You need to keep your strength up.”

Reese took a berry from the bowl. knowing what he’d do Trixie sealed her lips. and shook her head furiously

“Trixie eat please.” she shook her head faster

“EAT!” Reese took her head in his hooves and made her look into his eyes. They were filled to the brim with love and caring for the unicorn. “please.”

Trixie then slowly extended her hoof to take the berry from Reese and popped it in her mouth. Reese smiled. “Better.”

Suddenly the cockroach like hissing of a group of changelings sounded not too far off. “I’m ssstraving.” Said one.

“There isss no love in thisss place any more.” replied another.

“Isss all Crysssalisss’ fault, her with her warsss.”

“Thisss all could be settled if sshe allowed us to find love among our own kind.”

“letsss leave that for a later date.” barked the head changling. “For know letsss focuss, on the misson at hoof.”

Reese mouthed stay here. Then went out to follow the Changelings.

“What isss the mission anyhow.”

“To find and amulet off great power and bring it to our queen!”

This made Reese’s eyes widen. They were most assuredly talking about the Alicorn Amulet. Then then looked across a little ways and saw Trixie one of the twin blades strapped to either of her sides.

Reese then angrily darts over and brings her into the shadows. “What are you doing here I told you to stay put!” he shouted in hushed tones

“And let you get caught and or killed? No sir!”

Reese argirly shook his head. “Go back. Trixie.”

“Spir you heard what they said and you know just as well as I what will happen if the forces of shadow get the amulet. We have to warn Cobalt!”

“I’ll deal with that you go back home!”

“No!”

“What’ssss that.” A changeling said noticing the commotion.

“Hurry get on my back!” Reese spat. Trixie did as she was told and got as. Reese then took off with a mighty kick off his back legs. The scouts, noticing the grey alicorn, fired bolts of magic at him. Trixie happily returned the favor hitting at least once off them before Reese flew out of rage.

With trixie turning round to face front, Reese flew with all speed to canterlot.

.........

Cobalt paced worriedly as a bowl of carrot soup cools on this desk. Iciel walked in, noticed it and sighed. “You really should eat.”

“Not hungry...” he mumbled back.

She then picked up the bowl and spoon and help a spoonful to his mouth with made him go back a bit. “Come on, just one spoonful.”

“I REFUSE TO GLUT MYSELF WHILE PONIES ON MY DOORSTEP STARVE!” He shouted, and knocked the spoon away, nearly striking Iciel in the process.

It’s best to leave him alone. Andromeda's voice coxed as Cobalt when to “look” out the window.

Iciel then turned sorrowfully away from her love, but on her way out she grabbed the unwanted bowl of soup. Then ,making sure not to spill a drop, she quickly descends the alabaster steps.Then with septs as light as a cats slipped through the courtyard and out a back way.

Then tention in the air was palpable, like the sky right before a lightning strike. Something big was going to happen and almost every pony new it. Trying not to dwell on this Iciel quickly made her way to the poorer streets of Canterlot. After a while off looking she saw an almost skeletal filly rummaging through trash cans for a morsel of food>

“Hey there.” Iciel said cheerfully.

The skeletal filly, was surprised and began to flee.

“No, no, I have something here for you.” Iciel lays the untouched bowl of soup on the ground carefully, then backs away. Slowly the thin filly stalks to the bowl and laps a mouthful. Iciel smiles, at least she still has a healthy appetite. The filly then sat down and lifted the bowl up too his lips and started sipping a lot down.

Suddenly a royal guard rushes pash

“That can’t be good,” Iciel said. Then she turned to the Black filly. “You might want to return home.”

“But miss.” said the white manned filly. “I have no home. It was destroyed by the shadow army.”

“Where are you parents.” Iciel said looking round.

“Dead miss,” Iciel then stopped looking round and look to the little filly, suddenly feeling pity for her. “they were killed when our house burnt down.”

“T-that’s so sad.... follow me... theres a good safe... where you can stay with me.”

The filly doesn’t move. “Where?”

“The Palace.”

Suddenly the filly looks excited. “The palace?” She then runs up next to Iciel. “Are you a princess.”

Iciel giggled at this and starts walking. “No Spectra, I’m not a princess, at least not yet.”

Spectra walks lock step with Iciel. “That’s too bad, you're pretty enough to be a princess.”

“I’m glad you think so.”

Spectra puts on a puzzled look. “Miss, You said you could become a princess. How would you become a princess.”

“Well you see.... I’m in a relationship with Prince Cobalt.”

“OOHHH.” Spectra hopes in front of Iciel and walks backward. “Are you two going to marry each other.”

“I don’t know.... maybe.”

Suddenly, five guards run to Iciel and the filly. “Miss Iciel, On the request of Prince Cobalt, we are to escort you back to the place.”

“May I ask why?”

“We have received word that the shadow army is approaching Canterlot.” Spectra gasps and presses close to Iciel “We don’t want any pony to be caught in the open.”

“Fine, but I am taking this little one to the castle with me.”

The guard gave a curt nod then leads her.

“Iciel.” Spectra said. “I’m scared.”

“It’s alright.” She said trying to comfort the orphan. “Everything will be alright.”

.........

Cobalt is pacing quicker than usual and in the throne room this time. “If anything happens to her I’ll never forgive myself.” He said to himself.

“Calm down father, you only sent the grads to fetch her 15 minutes ago.” Cadence with her now apparent baby bulge replied calmly

“And I wanted Iciel by my side half an hour ago!” He quipped back

Fortunately, the guards came in with Iciel, and a dumbfounded Spectra.

Cobalt would recognize the delicate clink of Icicles hooves anywhere. “Iciel, my love!” Cobalt ran over to her (knocking over several palace guards in the process) and nuzzled her neck, and Iciel gadly nuzzled back.

As Cobalt made sure Iciel was alright little Spectra slipped under a guard unnoticed. Amazed at the high ceiling covered with murals off the sky and pegusi controlling the weather. But, not looking where she was going she accidentally backed into the seated Celestia.When her rump touched the alicorns front legs. She gave a little yelped and jumped. In mid air she turned to face Celestia.

Spectra being too stunned to speak, Celestia looked down at her with a smile of amusement and compassion. “What is your name, little one?”

“S-Spectra, your majesty.” She said with a nervous bow.

Beaming Celestia said “Tell me, Spectra, where are your parents?”

“Dead, Ma'am.”

Celestia’s shining face turned slightly said “So your orphan then?”

“Yes, Ma’am.”

After a long pause and a sigh, Celestia said. “Come nearer to me child.”

Spectra then inched closer. Celestia kept coaxing her until she was nigh touching her.

“Tell me little one... do you like my home.” Celestia said casting her eye’s round about.

“Oh, yes Ma’am, it’s like I’ve wandered into a dream.”

“And tell me little Spectra.” Celestia said turning back to the filly a slightly troubled look in her eyes. “Do you like....me?”

“Well, I’ve never met you until now ma’am, but I have heard stories....”

“Tell me.”

“Well... my mother, she told me you were as radiant as a summers day, and as kind as a cool drink in the desert.”

Celestia’s troubled look softened but didn’t dispel. She then got up and turned to stained glass window of Twilight and her friends “Spectra, I need you to understand. I have no foals of my own. Nor do I, or think I ever will, have a husband. And although I have the company of my siblings... sometimes I find myself... lonely.”

“Your majesty, what does that have to do with me?” Spectra asked inquisitively.

“In short, dear Spectra, I’m asking if you want to live with me here.”

Celestia turned to she Spectra, stunned and shocked. “H-here? I-In the palace.”

Celestia nods. “You need not fear, nor be uncomfortable. And almost anything you wish will be given to you, within reason of course.”

The filly then smiles. “I-I... of course I will!” The filly then runs up and hugs the princesses leg tears of joy filling her eyes. ”Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!”

Smiling Celestia enveloped the little filly in her swan-like wings. “You are quite welcome.” Suddenly the little filly brust in joy, and skipped around the great alicorn in happiness. This brought tears, and happy memories off a much better time to the surface.

This warm moment was interrupted when a rain soaked Reese carrying Trixie on his back, and the chilling wind of bitter news on his brow, burst through the door.Trixie barely hanging onto Reese mane fainted and slid off him. Iciel and Cadence then rushed to attend to her.

“Cobalt, I must speak with you urgently.”

“Reese!” Cobalt rushed over and touched his chest. “You must be soaked to the bone. I will get you food and heat.”

“There is no time for that.!” Reese spat. “There is a group of changelings traveling in what's left of the everfree forest looking for the alicorn amulet!”

Cobalt then froze after a long pause he said. “You sure?”

“As sure as your sister’s sun.”

“I need to stop them.” Cobalt said turning to go out.

“Cobalt no!” said Iciel reaching out to stop him. “We need you here. We’ll send a squad to stop them.”

“No, we need every stallion we have defending the city. Besides this is my mistake to fix.”

“Father wait!” Cadence tried to call out as he left. But she collapsed in sudden pain.

the now revived Trixie, and Iciel rush over to help her.

“Are you alright” Trixie asked.

“Should I send for Twilight and Armor?” tries to get up

“No, no, I’m fine no. AHH!” collapses and starts paint

Trixie's eyes widened “Oh my goodness are you going into labor?”

“N-No, I can’t be, I’m not due for another month!”

“Stress is known to cause early labor.” Iciel said matter of factly.

“I hope not. AHH.” Cadence collapse and some nurses come come to help her.

Celestia noticed that Cobalt had escaped, and Luna was still not up. So she waved over a garud. “Take this little one to my quarters.” turns to Spectra looking worried. “Don’t worry I’ll be here soon.”

.........

Celestia barged into Luna’s sleeping quarters, which not only stirred the mare, but her shadowy bed fellow. This made Celestia furious. “I can’t believe this our city is under, attack and our brothers out on a fools errand, and your-your!”

“Sister, If it’s as serious as you make it sound there are things more important than what I did or did not do with Night Stallion last night.” Luna sits up and rubs the sleep from her eyes and asked. “Now what is brother up to?”

“He’s going to try and stop a group of changelings supposedly looking for the Alicorn Amulet.”

This made Luna pause. “Night... I need you to tail my brother. make sure he doesn’t get hurt.”

“Yes, my love.” Night said, then he turned into shadow and left.

Celestia lears at Luna. “We still are going to talk about this.”

“I don’t see anything wrong with it.”

“Well talk about It” she said leaving.

.........

Cobalt wasted no breath, pursuing and tracking his changeling foe. But, unbeknown to him, Night Stallion in the form of a shadow darting from scrub to scrub and the occasional tree. Cobalt could feel himself catching up.

He was only armed with a pistol (which he knew he wouldn’t be able to do much with) with a shoulder strap full of extra magazines (both swiped from the armory) and his trusted enchanted sword,(which he began to call Sapphire Bolt.) And what was night stallion armed with? A knowledge how to summon any weapon he wishes.

Cobalt could tell the pace the changelings were moving at due to the frequency of campsites they set up, each one was a reminder to him and Night Stallion, that he had to set up camp if he didn’t catch up soon.

And they both knew time was of the essence, both could almost hear the sounds of war, although the sounds of swords clanking and the whistle of arrows had been replaced by the explosive clatter off machine guns and the screech of missiles, some sounds never change. Namely, the moans of a wounded shoulder, and the eerie silence after the battle, both off them knew, that silence, was the true sound off death

After several hours off pursuing, mostly in drenching rain cobalt was beat. He could feel the changelings a bittersweet distance away, mocking him. But weather worn and fatigued he had to stop.

Nearly fainting Cobalt dragged over a few rocks and twigs to make a fire pit. The wound on his leg that when along with the blinding slash never truly healed. Once he tried to rub two stick together he collapsed. Then he heard hooves step apporce.

If it’s one of those mother bucking Changelings. Cobalt thought. I’m never seeing Iciel again

He then was grateful he couldn’t cry as he thought how foolhardy he was. “You have a lotta guts going a group of changeling scouts all alone.”

“A month a go the sound of your voice wouldn’t have nearly sounded as good.”

“Stop with the wishy washy stuff.” Night Stallion said getting a fire lit for himself and the collapsed stallion.

Night Stallion, summoned a sword with a dark grey blade with was being held in a shadow dragons mouth whose wings made the finger guards, and his tail wrapped around the hilt. “The Changelings rise at dawn, we'll be able to catch them by surprise if we raid a few hours before, Celestia rises ”

Cobalt nods as he eases himself to sitting on a log. Night Stallion stabs the blade into the ground, turns into a large highly venomous serpent and then wraps himself around the blade. “Firssst watch isss mine.” he hissed.

.........

Silver Sword was forced to hang back, although he hated not helping his troops he knew in under an hour he could help defeat his foes in ways he couldn’t imagine. As he descended a set of cast iron steps to an area filled with the sounds of welding and bolting. The sight of what they were building gave Silver a wide smile.

.........

Cobalts leg gave him fits in the night, he had to undo his bandages and apply a numbing herb at least five different times. He tried his best to hide this irury but it had become infected and was slowly debilitating him.

“You really ssshould ssssee a doctor.” Hiss Night as Cobalt changed the bandage again.

“I hate that snakes have those weird clear eyelids.” Cobalt cinched the bandage tight. “You never know whether they awake or asleep.”

Night uncoiled from his sword, and took his true from. “It’s time to move out, Prince C.” he pulls it out of the ground and puts it in it’s sheath.

Cobalt worked his way up.

“I’ll lead.” Night Stallion said.

Cobalt gave a curt nod and let him step ahead, content to follow his hoofs steps.

The smoke from the changelings fire rose high in the sky. Within 15 minutes Cobalt and Night were at the changeling camp. As soon soon as Cobalt was a few yards away he froze.

“The amulets here, they have it.”

“Are you sure?”

“It’s power is more strong, more recognizable, and more tempting. to me then to anypony else.”

Night paused. “Maybe you should hang back.”

“No,” Cobalt insisted. “it’s my mess, I clean it up.”

“If you insist.” Night said.

Cobalt then paced round the camp stepping over changelings on bed rolls. Suddenly he stopped over a changeling holding a cloth bundle.

Suddenly a voice hissed in mind. Massster, you have come for me finally!

Cobalt reals back No, your are nothing but a shadow of what I once was.

“Cobalt are you sure you ok.”

“Yeah, I’m fine.”

You’d be more then fine if you let me add to you power, you war will be won in a matter of moments!

“We need to get you way from that thing” Night Stallion said pulling him back. The changelings then began to stir. Night quickly wiped out an M16 and aimed it at the one of the the Changelings.

Quickly the changeling raised its hooves and hissed. “Defect, We whisssh to defect!”

“Is this some sort of trick?”

“No tricksss.” The changeling that was holding the , most likely there comander. “When SSSombra takesss over there will be no love to feed on, Crysssaliss is to blind to see this.” As they talk Cobalt undoes the cloth so the amulets jewel is visible. “We aren't the only onesss to think so.”

I only want to make you stronger! The voice hissed arginyl. But if you wish to discard me, It suddenly starts to crackle with red electricity I will lend my power to you enemies!

.Suddenly a shadow dragon swoop from over head, knocking Cobalt unconscious and snatching the amulet.

“NO!” Night unloaded the M16 on the hard scales off the shadow dragon. Once the magazine was empty he cast the rifle aside. And checked Cobalt for signs of life.

Once he confirmed the alicorn was alive he gave a sigh of relief. Suddenly he turned to the Changelings. “If you wish to defect and have a change of become a Equestrian citizen. Prove It to me and take this once to canterlot castle safely and with all speed.”

“Yesss, sssir.” hissed one helping cobalt onto another's back.

Night Stallion then prepared to take off, “And what will you be doing?”

Night Stallion then turned to the changeling that asked the question. “Isn’t obvious? I’m going Dragon hunting.” He then takes off.

To be Continued....

Comments ( 2 )

She discovers and Alicorn colt with no memory crash landed in the history section.

images.encyclopediadramatica.se/thumb/9/9e/HA_HA_HA,_OH_WOW.jpg/500px-HA_HA_HA,_OH_WOW.jpg

At least this fic started a while back when the alicorn thing wasn't so much of a big deal. You win this time.

Login or register to comment