• Published 27th Feb 2012
  • 2,768 Views, 187 Comments

The Fourth Alicorn - Cobalt the Kitsune



Twilight Sparkles new assignment is a little... different. An Alicorn colt who has no memory.

  • ...
52
 187
 2,768

Chapter 12: Star of Truth, Part One

“What is this?” Sirius asked the orage mare next to him. Placed before him was an document with a decorative border. The signatures of the tribal leaders were already on it arranged in a triangle.

“A document that legally turns the sole rule of the Tri-equestrian Union to you and sisters .” The mare said.

“And what's the fine print.” Sirius scoffed.

“Fine print?” The mare asked nervously.

“I’ve become one of the most successful defence attorneys in all the union. I know about ‘legal documents’. There’s always a catch. Fine print hidden in the most unexpected place.” His super sharp alicorn eyes zoomed in on the border. “There you are. I the undersigned solemnly swear to protect the Tri-equestrian union with my life.” Sirius said smugly. The orange mare gave a nervous laugh. “Well It’s nothing I wouldn’t do of my sisters anyways.” Sirius then signed his name in the middle of the three signatures.

Then the image swirled into blackness. This was followed by the sounds of sword clashing and the moan of injured soldiers. A mare’s scream pierced the darkness.

Cobalt sat bolt upright in his bead. Beads of sweat rolled down his brow. Cobalt had been having dreams about his former life more and more often now. But they always ended the same way with the same scream. Knowing that he would be unable to go back to sleep. He grabbed his swords and silently made his way out of the library.

…......

Cobalt laid on the top bows of a tall tree in the courtyard of the once proud place. And looked up at the stars. Some pony then teleported under the tree.

“I hoped to find you here.” Cadence said.

“Hello, daughter dear.” Cobalt replied.

“Couldn’t sleep again?” Cadence asked.

“Yeah,” Cobalt said fluttering down the tree.

“Your dreams are getting worse aren't they?” Cadence said. “Maybe you should tell Celestia about,”

“NO!” Cobalt interrupted. He sighed. “No, she has enough on her plate without worrying about her kid brothers crazed dreams.”

“If you’re sure...” Cadence said turn to go away. “Hey dad, have you remembered anything... about my mom.”

“No. I too have wondered about the circumstances surrounding your birth.”

They then heard a rustle in the bushes.

“Blueblood, come out.” Cadence said. The blonde stallion called from his hiding place.

“I thought you were supposed to be back in Canterlot?” Cadence asked.

“I decided to spend a few extra days.” Blueblood said sheepishly.

“I have wondered about the circumstances around your birth as well” Cobalt said.

“And I’ve always wondered who my birth parents are.” Scootaloo said coming out of her hiding place .

“Have you been following me?” Cobalt asked.

“No, um... maybe.” Scootaloo said nervously.

Cobalt eyes then caught on the entrance to the spring of knowledge. “I think I might have a way to answer all our questions. Follow me.”

The mare ,filly and stallion followed the colt to the piece of wall that had the emblem on it. He then tapped the emblem with his sword. Electricity discharged from the end of the sword and made the emblem glow blue. The slab then sunk down into its slot. When all the ponies were inside the slab moved back up. Every pony except Cobalt gave an exclamation of surprise.

Cobalts blade lighted the way as the four ponies descended the winding steps.

“Where are we even going.” Scootaloo asked. Cobalt shushed her sharply. When Cobalt could see the glow of the basin chamber his pick up his pace.

When every pony got to the chamber Cobalt said. “Alright, every pony gather round the basin and join hooves.”

“What?” Scootaloo asked.

“Just do it.” Cobalt said.

Once all the ponies joined hooves Cobalt raised his sword but then hesitated and said to Cadence. “Know that no matter what we find out, you’re still my daughter and I love you.”

“Get on with it dad.” Cadence urged.

“Right.” Cobalt then stuck his sword deep into the middle of basin. All the ponies were sucked into the basin.

…......

“Dearly beloved, we are gathered under this eclipse...,” Sirius was performing the wedding of a fire engine red stallion and a mare yellow with a light pink mane. A skylight showed the golden rays of the sun peeking out from behind the moon. A light purple unicorn was sitting in the front pew starring at the alicorn stallion.

“Where are we?” A ghostly Cobalt asked and equally ethereal Cadence.

“Looks like a some sort of chapel.” She said.

“Do you, Tough Cookie, take Private Pansy, to be your lawfully wedded wife?”

“Wait, I know those names!” Scootaloo said.

“Eeyup.” Said the red stallion

“Well Private Pansy is from the Heart Warmings Eve story, But I not sure about this Tough Cookie.”

“Do you, Private Pansy, take Tough Cookie, to be your lawfully wedded husband?”

“I do,” the yellow mare said softly.

“I now pronounce you stallion and wife.”

As soon as Sirius said these words the scene around the ethereal ponies sifted to what appeared to be the reception. Sirius was standing in the corner watching the newlyweds dance and sipping some zap apple cider.

“Does it give you any ideas?” The purple mare was now next to Sirius.

“What?” Sirius asked in a mixture of surprise and confusion.

“The wedding, does it give you ideas about settling down and starting a family?” he

“No, not really,” Sirius took another sip of cider.

“Really.” The purple mare cornered Sirius and came to uncomfortably close distance. Then whispered in his ear. “Because it does for me.”

“Violet, may I talk to you for a moment?” Princess Platinum said sharply. They then went on to the balcony.

“Violet, you can not talk to Sirius that way it isn’t proper.” Platinum reprimanded.

“I used to talk to stallions of the court all that way all the time when I was a royal.” Violet retorted.

“Except we are no longer royals now.” Platinum said.

“Only because, you, dear sister, gave up the throne.” Violet almost yelled. She then turned her back on her sister

“Yes, I did give up the throne.” Platinum said trying to comfort her. “So that I didn’t have to see this society in shambles.”

Violet turned around and screamed at her sister. “I hate this society! I hate being equal with those pegasi hooligans and those working class earth ponies If I had the birthright I would have never left the old land!

“I told you Violet there’s nothing left for us in the old land. We were destroying it with same hate your showing now!” Platinum tried to ach out and touch her sister. But her hoof was painfully caught in a purple glow.

“No, you are wrong! It’s your weakness, you call generosity, that made the old society fail!” Violet said while her sister moaned in pain. “You should have worked the earth ponies harder!” She then released her sister from the hold.

“They couldn’t grow anything! It was too cold.” Platinum said rubbing her hoof.

“No, they were lying to you!” Violet shouted. “Fooled by dumb earth ponies, I feel ashamed to call you my sister.” Violet then took off into the night.

“Violet! Violet, come back!” Princess Platinum began to fade out.

…......

Tough Cookie and Private Pansy had moved out into the open country outside of Everfree.

“This is a good spot of land.” Tough Cookie said. “We could plant an orchid here. Have an alfalfa field over there. And on top of that hill we can build a little farm house big enough for the two of us.”

“You mean the three of us.” Pansy corrected.

“Three of us?” Tough asked.

“Im,hm, three of us.” Pansy said.

“Are you saying?..”

“Yeah,” Pansy bit her lower lip in happiness

“That’s great! I’m... I’m going to be a father.. I’M GOING TO BE A FATHER!!! OH, SIRIUS YOU’VE OUTDONE YOURSELF THIS TIME!!!” He declared to the sky.

“I don’t see how this pertains to our questions.” Scootaloo said to Cobalt as soon to be mother and father danced joyfully.

“I think… that they are your mother and father. Scootaloo.” Cobalt said.

“What? How is that possible?” Scootaloo screamed.

“Well when a mare and a colt love each other very mu--” began Blueblood before getting silenced by his cousin’s hoof in his mouth.

“It’s only a theory, look!” While Cobalt and Scootaloo were talking the scene had changed again to Violet wandering in a dark forest.

“Hello, any pony out there.” Violet said. Her mane was in a mess.

Suddenly there was a rustling in the tree’s. “Platy is that you. Oh how I missed... you... so?”

A jet black alicorn stallion had emerged from the trees. “You’re not my sister.” She said to him.

“Indeed I am not, Princess Violet.” The alicorn said gruffly.

“How do you know my name?” Violet asked.

“I AM NIGHT STALLION, KEEPER OF NIGHTMARES AND FEAR, SEER OF THE HEARTS DARKEST SECRETS AND SOON TO BE RULER OF ALL THE WORLD. I KNOW ALL!!!” The stallion roared.

“Yeah, right and I am the prince’s lover.” Violet said skeptically.

As she turned to walk away Night Stallion said. “I know that you would like to be. I know that you were always jealous of your sister. I know that deep down in your heart you wished that she’d never been born. Well I can grant you all these things and more.”

“How would you do this.” Violet asked.

Night Stallion grinned he then brought out a heart shaped vial. “Put a signal of this into his drink. And he will maddy in love with love with you. This will make you greater than your sister and the prince’s lover.”

“He’s lying! don’t do it.” Cobalt tried to warn her but it was in vain.

“And the more?” Violet asked.

“Your heir will be so powerful that he will topple his father's kingdom.” Night Stallion hissed. “Of course pre pro quo, you have to swear loyalty to me, and me only!”

“That’s a deal.” Violet said. Taking the vial.

“Shake on it?” Night Stallion asked.

“Don’t do it! He’s evil!” Cobalt shouted at the mare

“Of, course.” As soon as she grasped his hoof a blue fire started burning a crescent into her beautiful cutie mark of a crown of blossoms. “Ah!, What is this?”

“A symbol of your allegiance of course.” Night Stallion said casually. “You must brand the same crescent on your son when he comes of age. And he must brand his son. And him his son. and so on and so forth. or else your line will perish” He then erupted into evil laughter.

…......

The scene once again changed. This time to Platinum making alterations on one of Celestia’s elaborate gowns. Suddenly there was a knock at her door.

“Come in.” Platinum said. What a sight she beheld. There standing in front of her was her long lost sister she hadden seen in three years.

“Violet, darling I thought that I’d never see you again.” Platinum embraced her sister.

When she let go Violet said. “I’d though I’d never seem the day the great Princess Platinum reduce to a seamstress.”

“Seamstress?!? I am the princesses personal fashionista!” Platinum said returning to her work.

“‘Fashionista?’” Violet laughed.

“It’s a phrase I coined. It means I have to stay in depth with latest fashions so that I can keep the princesses in the times ,you know.” She put down her needle and thread. “Oh, please allow me make you a ensemble.”

“I don’t see how it couldn’t hurt. I will need to look my best when I present myself to the prince as a candidate for his wife.”

“Oh, the prince isn’t looking for a bride now or will be any anytime soon.” Platinum said continuing her work. “Sirius is just so...”

“Serious?” Violet finished her sister’s sentence. “Well he won’t be when I give him this!” She held up the ruby bottle.

“Is that?” Platinum started.

“A love potion? Yes.” Violet finished again.

“Where’d you get it?” Platinum asked. Violet then related to her sister her encounter with the mysterious stallion, leaving things out here and their.

“That’s hard to take in.” Platinum said sitting down on her bed.

“Sister, when the time is right, do you think you could slip the love potion into his drink for me?”

“For you,” Platinum paused. “Of course I can.”

…......

The four viewers now found themselves outside the castle that night. A cloaked figure ducked in and out of the shadows until It came to the door of a blacksmith's shop.

It knocked on the door and called a soft following voice. “ Spir, Spir are you in?”

A grey pegasus stallion with a blond mane then opened the door. “Come in before some pony sees you.” He hissed looking around nervously. Once inside the mare removed her hood to reveal her long golden mane.

“We can’t keep meeting like this Andromedia.” The stallion said. “What if your brother finds out?”

“Then let him find out!” The mare said. “Let the entire land of Equestria know of our love!”

“Sush!” The stallion warned. Looking out his window. He then put his hoof on Andromeda’s cheek. ‘You, now I love you. But it wouldn’t be proper to have our love out in the open yet.”

“Then when will it be proper!” Andromeda turned away from him. “Better were the days ponies were ruled by their hearts and not the views of other ponies.” She said harshly.

When Spir saw that his love was unhappy he decided to chance his views. “Then tomorrow I going to tell him.”

“You will.” Andromeda said.

“I’m...I’m going to march right up to him and say to him ‘Sirius, I’m in love with your sister and I am going to marry her. I’m not asking for your permission only your blessing.’”

“Wonderful, simply wonderful. Only wait a few weeks until the harvest festival. That way we can make our announcement in public.” Andromeda recommended.

“Of,course!” Spir said with confidence.

“Oh, how I love you Resilient Spirit.” Andromeda though her arms around Spir.

…......

The image shifted to the Platinum's room a few weeks later. Violet was wearing a midnight blue gown that could be considered “saucy.” Platinum was finishing the hem on the gown.

“Ow!” Violet said when her sister when she pricked her with the pin.

“Well if you would stay still!” Platinum said.

“I can.” Violet said. “I too excited about tonight.”

“Why?” Platinum said. “You're about to commit the most heinous scandal of your career. I can’t see why you feel...”

Pretty,

I feel pretty,

“Oh Celestia, she’s singing!” Cobalt said.

oh so pretty,

And witty, and bright!

And I pitty,

Any mare who isn’t me tonight.

“‘Does this thing have a fast forward button?” Scootaloo asked.

“What?” Blueblood gave Scootaloo a confused look.

“Never mind.” Scootaloo said. Violet then started to dance around the room.

I feel charming,

Oh so charming,

It’s alarming how charming,

I feel,

And so pretty,

I can hardly believe I’m real.

“I bang my head against something but it would go right through.” Cobalt said with his face in his hoof.

Who’s the pretty mare,

In that mirror there?

Who can that a active mare be?

Such a pretty face,

Such a pretty smile

Such a pretty dress,

Such a pretty me!

“Is she done yet?” Cadence asked.

I feel stunning,

“Nope.” Cobalt said.

And entrancing,

Feel like running,

And dancing for joy!

For I’ll be royal,

After this, my newest ploy!

Violet then returned to where her sister could work on her dress. “Ok, I think she’s done now.” Cobalt said.

“I have to be the first mare he sees after he drinks the potion. So I’ll probably need to be there when he does” Violet said.

“I just might be able to place you in his study when he drinks his evening cider.” Platinum said. “He always drinks it the same time every night.”

“And are you sure you can get it into his drink before it is severed to him?” Violet prodded.

“Of course I can.” Platinum bosted. “The colt who always gives it to him has begun to fancy me. Slipping it past him will be easy.”

“Perfect, if all goes to plan I’ll be in his chambers by nightfall.” Violet said as her sister finished her dress.

The image zoomed in through the window to a blue green mare pruning one of the rose bushes in the garden. Andromeda then came around staring into space dreamally and humming a merry tune. She stopped to put a rose behind her ear.

The blue green mare said to her. “You seem happy today ,my princess.”

“And why shouldn’t I ,Lotus?” Andromeda asked.

“No, reason miss.” Lotus said continuing her pruning.

“Oh, Lotus, the harvest festival is only a few days away.” Andromeda said.

“If don’t mind me asking ,miss, what’s so special about the harvest festival.” Lotus asked.

“Can you keep a secret?” Andromeda said looking around to make sure no pony else was in earshot.

“I don’t think I have any pony to tell them to miss.” Lotus chuckled.

“A few months ago.” Andromeda started. “Well, a few months ago ,I met this blacksmith, well more like an everything smith. Anyways we fell in love. But we had to keep our love secret. So, I have been sneaking out at night to see him. A few weeks ago we decided to make our love public. He’s going to march right up to Sirius and tell him he’s going to marry me no matter what he says.”

“Well that’s brave of him.” Lotus cut another piece of the bush off. “Prince Sirius, can be an intimidating pony.”

“I know.” Andromeda said. “Oh, and have your heard the news about Private Pansy and Smart Cookies brother?”

“Oh, so that’s who he his.” Cobalt said nodding his head.

“No ,I can’t say that I have, miss.” Lotus said.

“They’ve had a addition to their family.” Andromeda said. “A pegasus filly, they call her Scootaloo.”

“She I told you!” Cobalt boasted to her.

“I wish them well.” Lotus said.

…......

Violet took a deep breath and knocked on the door of Sirius’ study.
“Come.” bellowed Sirius deep voice from inside. Violet walked in. Sirius was sitting in a cushioned chair reading a book of mythology. “Oh, Violet. Your sister told me you were in town. Please sit down.” He said gesturing to a velvet couch. Violet did so. Another knock was heard.

“Come,” Sirius echoed. A Blue stallion then walked with a mug of cider. In his hair was in a mess and his face covered in lipstick stains.

“Your cider, sir.” He said setting the mug on the table.

“Thank you,” Sirius said. As the pony left Sirius called out. “Oh, and Silver Platter?”

“Yes ,sir?” He replied nervously

“You might want to straighten up when you get the chance.”

“Of course, sir.” With that Silver Platter left.

“Do you know the names of all your servants?” Violet asked.

“I try to, yes.” Sirius said picking up his mug. “Makes them feel they can talk to me.”

He was about to take a sip when he asked. “Do you drink alcohol?”

“Only the occasional white wine.” Violet replied while on the edge of her seat.

“Good,” Sirius said. “Drinking regularly is a nasty habit. I thinking about quitting it all together.” He said setting the mug down. Only to pick it up again. “But I do love my cider.” He swished the cider in the mug then he set it down on the edge of the desk. “I’ll think I’ll make a nonalcoholic version.” Suddenly the usually graceful Sirius suddenly became clumsy and bumped into his desk knocking over the mug.

“Oh dang, That’s my fault.” Sirius said leaning down to clean it up with his handkerchief. “So what did you want to take to me about?” Sirius asked. But Violet was already gone. The four viewers expected the scene to sift again but it didn’t.

“I guess we have to go after her ourselves.” Cobalt said.

“She’s out their.” Cadence said looking out to the courtyard from the window.

“Perfect.” Cobalt then jumped through the wal.

“Cobalt!” Scootaloo said worriedly.

“Yes?” Cobalt said sticking his in the room.

“Ok, that’s just freaky weird.” Scootaloo said.

Violet was sobbing with her head down.

“What is the problem ,my sweet?” Night Stallion said coming out of the shadows.

“He didn’t drink the potion.” She said.

“WHAT!” Violet was lifted up in a shadowy aura that started to strangle her. “DO YOU KNOW HOW RARE THE INGREDIENTS ARE? DO YOU KNOW LONG IT NEEDS TO AGE FOR FULL POTENCY? I COULD JUST KILL YOU RIGHT NOW!”

“Hey, you!” Night Stallion turned around to see Sirius in full battle armor. “I’D LIKE TO TEACH YOU A LITTLE THINK I’D LIKE TO CALL CHIVALRY!” Sirius then summoned a great bolt of lightning. It struck Night Stallion squarely in the chest filing him back a good distance. “Yippee, ki yay.”

“I don’t get it?” Violet said released from the dark alicorn’s grip. “You didn’t drink the potion why’d you come save me.”

“Because you don’t need a potion to make me love you.” Sirius said. Violet then removed Sirius’ helmet so that they could kiss.

“Stop making out Night Stallion’s getting away!” Scootaloo shouted at them.

…......

Violet and Sirius were coming out the chapel, rice flying in their face. Wedding were ringing in the background.

At least not I’m not an illegitimate child. Cadence though to herself.

The scene then shifted to in inside of the chapel. A small wedding was taking place only four guests, not including the viewers. Which is ironic considering who the bride was.

“Do you, Resilient Spirit, Take Princess Andromeda to be your lawfully wedded wife?” Princess Celestia said trying to imitate her brother.

“I do,” The pegasus stallion said.

“And do you Princess Andromeda, take Resilient Spirit to be your lawfully wedded husband?”

“I...” Before she could finish her vow a pitch black alicorn came out of nowhere. Resilient and Tough Cookie unsheathed their swords

He then said elegantly. “Oh, don’t mind me. Please continue.”

“YOU.” Celestia shouted. “YOU ALMOST KILLED MY SISTER-IN-LAW! AND I NOT ONE TO EASILY RELINQUISH GRUDGES.” Celestia charged at the stallion. to be knocked back by a blast of shadow.

“I don’t take kindly to ponies who like to play warrior.” several shades then formed and knocked Resilient and Tough to the ground.

“And I don’t take kindly to those that hurt my family and friends.” Sirius said. When Night Stallion turned around he got zapped by lightning...again.

“Do you ever get tired of that?” Blueblood asked Cobalt.

“As far as I remember?” Cobalt laughed. “No.”

Sirius had lifted Night Stallion up in his white glow. “Why do you harass us?”

“Because your the most worthy opponent I’ve ever met. Night Stallion said. “Now let us see if you can save your precious city from my pet.” A bellow was heard from far outside the city. As Night Stallion evaporated in shadow ,the scene sifted.

“Ahhh N, That was the opening battle to The First Shadow War. I wanted to see that!”

to be continued...