• Published 27th Feb 2012
  • 2,775 Views, 187 Comments

The Fourth Alicorn - Cobalt the Kitsune



Twilight Sparkles new assignment is a little... different. An Alicorn colt who has no memory.

  • ...
52
 187
 2,775

Chapter 14: Cobalt's Winter Wrap Up

“Are you nervous?” Twilight asked Cobalt as he was getting ready.

“A bit ,yeah” Cobalt said.

“I know how you feel. The first year I was here I couldn’t find anything I could do to help.” Twilight related.

“A bet you that I’m going to have the exact opposite of your problem.” Cobalt said. “Every pony is going to tug me in a million directions. I can hear them now. ‘Cobalt do you think do this.’ ‘Cobalt I love it if you help me do this.’ ‘We can’t do this without you Cobalt.’ It’s gonna drive me nuts!”

“Well if you do end up needing to blow off some steam. That castle of yours needs winter to be wrapped up too.” Twilight suggested.

“I’ve never really thought of it as my castle.” Cobalt said.

“Also you might want to watch out for the song.” Twi added.

“What song?” Cobalt asked.

Scootaloo: Three months of winter coolness

“Oh that song.” Cobalt said.

Sweetie Belle: And awesome holidays,

Cobalt: I learned that I am truly home,

and that here’s where I must stay,

Apple Bloom: But the food is running out,

And we can’t grow in this cold.

Sweetie Belle: And even though I love winter’ fun,

It really does get old,

Twi: The time has come to welcome spring,

And all things warm and green,

But It’s also time to say good bye,

It’s winter we must clean,

Cobalt: How will I help,

what best fits me,

what does every pony do?

How will I not disappoint the others?

Twi: I haven’t got a clue.

Every pony: Winter wrap up,

Winter wrap up,

Sweetie: time to finish the holiday cheer

Every pony:Winter wrap up,

Winter wrap up,

Scoot: Cause, tomorrow spring is here,

cause tomorrow spring is here,

Scoot: Bring home the southern birds,

RD: A pegasus job begins,

Scoot: And clearing all the gloomy skies,

Cobalt: and let sister’s sunshine in.

RD: move the clouds and melt the white snow.

Scoot: When the sun comes out,

It’s warmth and beauty will glow.

All: Winter wrap up,

winter wrap,

Let’s finish our holiday cheer,

Winter wrap up,

winter wrap up.

‘cus tomorrow spring is here,

‘cus tomorrow spring is here,

Sweetie: Little critters hibernate,

Under the snow and ice,

Flutter: We wake up all the sleepy heads,

So quietly and nice,

Cobalt: I’ll help them gather up their food,

And fix their homes below,

Flutter: We’ll welcome back the southern birds.

All: so their families can grow.

Chorus,

Cobalt: No easy task to clear the ground,

AB: Plant our tiny seeds

AJ: With proper care and sunshine,

Every one it feeds.

Apples,

carrots,

Celery stalks,

Colorful flowers too,

AJ&AB: we must work so every hard.

Cobalt: It’s just so much to do.

Chorus,

Cobalt: Now that I know what to do,

I need to chose my place,

But I can’t help them all,

tough choice I have to face.

I must do it without magic,

And honor the earth pony way,

Here’s where I belong,

So I must do my best today,

Chorus,

“Is the song over?” Reese said landing next to his sister.

“Yes, you just missed it. Like you do every year.” Twilight said condescendingly. “Where do you disappear to anyways?”

Reese seemed to ignore his sister's question. He put on his weather patrol vest and took off again.

Twilight then turned to Cobalt and asked. “So have you made your decision about who you’re going to help?”

“Well I think I’m best suited to help the pegasi.” said Cobalt. “But, the earth ponies need my strength. And I would love to help with animals.” While Cobalt was wondering what he should do a hullabaloo arose in the town square. Cobalt when over to investigate.

A grey pegasus was laid down in the street. He had several obvious burns. A white pony with a red cross on her flank was attending to him.

Cobalt leaned down next to him. “Thunder Lane, what happened?”

“Sky...trotters.” He wheezed. Cobalt sat up quickly.

“Whoa, take it easy.” The white mare said placing her hoof on Thunder Lane’s chest.

“Sky trotters?” Reese asked Cobalt. “What are those?”

“Another name for venti in pegasus mythology” Cobalt said.

“Venti?” Reese asked.

“Are you kidding me?” Cobalt said. “Venti are storm spirits. With their powers, their ponies you don’t want to meet in a dark ally.”

“Powers?” Reese inquired.

“They can channel lightning though themselves.” Cobalt explained. “They swore their allegiance to Luna during the first shadow war. But, I fear they have changed sides.”

“Why Luna and not you?” Reese asked.

“Luna’s has wind elemental powers and their storm spirits.” Cobalt said. “Do the math.” Cobalt studied his blades in the sun. And resheathed them.

As he about to to take off Reese asked. “Were you going?”

“I’m going to confront those venti.” Cobalt said heroically. “I’m not going to let them attack innocent ponies and get away with it.”

“Wait just a minute.” Reese went to his shop and came out with a claymore strapped to his back. “I not going to let you go by yourself.”

.........

As Cobalt and Reese flew along Cobalt briefed him about what the plan was. “I don’t want you to go in swinging your sword like crazy.”

“Aww Nnn, But I love swinging!” Reese whined.

“NO!” Cobalt said. “Reviewing my past life. I’ve realized hundreds lives would have been saved if I had used more diplomacy.”

“And if diplomacy fails us?” Reese asked.

“Then you have my permission to make mincemeat of the venti,” Cobalt said. They came up to a relatively darker cloud.

“Land on that cloud.” Cobalt directed.

“Why, I see no pony on it.” Reese argued.

“Trust me, Reese. Land on that cloud.” Cobalt said.

Once they touched down Cobalt shouted to the open air. “You’ve been hurting my friends and I want to now why?”

A rough figured then formed out clouds. A large chunk of his ear was missing. “Cobalt, I’ve been expecting you.” His voice seemed familiar to Cobalt, but he wanted to make sure.

“Who are you?” Cobalt asked.

“Sargent Striker,” The venti said. “In a former life I was one of the major commanders of The Lunar Army. But now I am so much more.”

“That’s impossible.” Cobalt said. “You died the night Nightmare Moon was imprisoned. By, your commanders own hoof even.”

“Did you really think she’d kill her favorite commander in cold blood?” Electricity began to arch from Striker. “No, it was her way of ascending me to my perfect form. Now I am so much more powerful then I could ever be as a pegasus. I thank her for that and will serve her till the ever end.”

“It’s too bad that she’s destroyed then.” Cobalt said.

“YOU LIE!” Lightning from Striker began to jump to nearby clouds. “HER SPIRIT LIVES!!!” Several other venti then formed

“Yeah, yeah, yeah that's ever interesting. SHUT UP!” Reese brought his sword down on Striker’s face. Striker immediately brought his hoof up to his wound. The deep cut the swing caused ran right down the venti’s left eye.

“REESE!” Cobalt scolded. The other venti began to attack the alicorns. Before Cobalt could unsheath his blades a venti had already pinned him down. As Cobalt struggled Reese swung his sword wildly giving several venti mortal wounds. Cobalt was finally able to get his hind legs under the venti. He kicked his attacker off. Her quickly got back on his legs. He unsheathed both blades and began to disarm his opponents.

While fighting side by side, the two friends see the difference in their fighting styles. Cobalt held his swords with magic allowing him to gracefully and effectively dispatch his attackers. Also Cobalt used bursts of lightning from his sword when possible. While Reese (ever defiant to use any sort of magic) held his heavy long sword in his mouth or hooves. He was brutal and violent, using every opportunity he had to strike. If the razor sharp blade didn’t kill them, they would be bludgeoned to death by the sheer weight and force of the sword.

There was one time where after an unusually swift venti ducked under the blade. This made Reese lose his balance and trip. Then the same quick venti pounced on the downed Reese. Reese was able to get the long sword in between him and the venti. After several long moments of struggling, Reese turned the venti over giving him the upper hoof. As Reese lifted up his sword to deliver the fatal blow, a bolt of lightning shot it from his hoof.

Reese turned around to see the blood covered Striker, with revenge burning in the eye Reese had left him. Reese, disarmed, made a mad dash toward Striker ,probably hoping to impale him with his horn. Cobalt saw this blatant disregard for self preservation and quickly intervened by teleporting in front of the charging Resilient Spirit. Reese had just enough distance to stop before colliding with Cobalt.

“Stand aside colt!” Striker hissed, the rage evident in his voice. “My quarrel is not with you!”

“I will tear his cowardice tartor limb from limb.” Reese spat while trying to get past Cobalt.

“No, Reese.” Cobalt shouted at his friend. “This is my fight!” Cobalt then readied himself.

“So be it!” Striker said. He then shot a lightning bolt towards Cobalt. The alicorn colt meet it with an lightning bolt from his own sword. Striker tried again with the same result. He then fired several lightning bolts in rapid succession. Each one was skillfully blocked or dodged by the swift alicorn.

“You are yet a foal,” Striker fired a sustained burst which Cobalt struggled to block. “but you fight with the skill of a war hardened general. Tell me, who are you.” the lightning subsided.

Cobalt though for a moment then said. “I am Cobalt, the reincarnation of Sirius, the guardian of the stone gate, the protector of the skies, the wielder of the blade of sharpie steel, and most importantly the keeper of harmony.” Strikers eye widened.

Cobalt now went on the offensive suddenly sending several sift strikes toward the stunned Striker(alliteration intended). Striker was able to dodge or block most of the blots. But the last one was a direct hit and hurled him back into a pillar of clouds. Striker then laid limp at the base of the column that he hit.

Cobalt walked up to him and said. “The victory is mine.”

“Then finish it.” Striker said a trickle of blood coming from the corner of his mouth.

“I’m no longer like that.” Cobalt said as he helped the weakened venti up. “As the victor, I order you to take your vent, and never enter the borders of Equestria ever again.”

“Very well.” Striker said giving Cobalt a relucent bow. But as soon as Cobalt turned his back on him a lightning bolt threw his sword of the cloud.

As Cobalt’s sword fell to earth Striker taunted. “Not so powerful without your sword are you?” The prideful venti zapped Cobalt that sent Cobalt flying. After Cobalt landed Striker took several cheap shots at the already smoldering colt. Reese charged at the venti only to be also thrown back by lightning.

Almost mocking the alicorns in their failed mission, natural lightning started to strike Cobalt. Actually, no, lightning started to strike from Cobalt. The colt started to rise as electricity arched through the air. When he opened his eyes they were glowing neon blue. If Striker wasn’t lose-control-of-your-bowles scared yet, he was now. Cobalt now manipulated the random lightning strikes to that they became deadly accurate. The lightning bolt killed the rest of the of the venti. But, Cobalt spared Striker leaving him to feel the pain of his guilt. Cobalts eyes faded to their normal golden color. Cobalt then collapsed out of exhaustion.

.........

Cobalt awoke several weeks later to the sound of the steady tone of a heart rate monitor. An IV was steady directing a clear liquid into his foreleg.

“Hey he’s awake.” Trixie said softly. Trixie, Reese, the Cutie Mark Crusaders, Twilight and her friends were all gathered round the hospital bead.

“What happened?” Cobalt moaned.

“You went all tesla coil on those venti.” Reese explained.

“Ya, zap fried em real good.” Applejack added.

“Then you fell into a coma.” Twilight said.

“Where’s Striker?” Cobalt asked.

“He’s safe in a rubber coated cell the doctor made special for him.” Scootaloo said.

Cobalt then sat up in his bed. “My sword!”

“Whoa Cobalt take it easy.” Reese said. “It’s over there.” The sword was in fact leaned against the wall of Cobalt’s hospital room.

“But, How?” Cobalt said confused.

“Rubber the magic material.” Scootaloo said relaxing.

“Ok,” Cobalt said. “How long till I’m outta here?” Fountuatly Cobalt asked his question right as the nurse came in.

“Only a few more days hon’.” She said cheerfully. Cobalt settled back in his bed.

“My sword broke while fighting those venti.” Reese said as he held up a hilt with the blade broken off. “I’m thinking about making one out of making one out of tougher material. Diamonds maybe?” He asked Cobalt.