• Published 27th Feb 2012
  • 2,777 Views, 187 Comments

The Fourth Alicorn - Cobalt the Kitsune



Twilight Sparkles new assignment is a little... different. An Alicorn colt who has no memory.

  • ...
52
 187
 2,777

Chapter 3: Alicorn Flu

Chapter 3: The Alicorn Flu

It was the week before the summer sun celebration. Princess Celestia had once again chose Ponyville for the location this year. Cobalt was helping in any and every way he could. Currently he was helping Rarity with the decorations.

“Thanks again Cobalt for helping me with these banners.” Cobalt was now rolling out a banner over the railing of the balcony.

“My Pleasu- ah ah coo!” Cobalt sneezed.

“Cobalt do you not feel well?” Rarity asked.

“No, it’s nothin- ah ah ah coo!” Cobalt Sneezed again. throwing him back so violently he hit the wall of City Hall

“Cobalt! You are ill and should be at home resting” scolded Rarity

“No, no, I feel quite all ah ah ah ah coo!” This time cobalt punched a hole the wall.

“Your doing more damage than Derpy!” Derpy herself was tangled in one of the sun banners “I demand you go home this instant.” said rarity now dragging him to Twilight’s while he was squirming in vain. “Twilight dear, Are you home?” She said while knocking on the door. The top half opened.

“Rarity? Shouldn’t you be over at City Hall decorating?” asked Twilight.

“I’m afraid Cobalts sick, although he denies it.” said Rarity “I told him ‘you should be at home resting’ but he refused to go. I thought maybe you could talk some sense into him.” She then dragged the struggling colt over.

“I tell you I feel fin-ah ah ah coo!” Cobalt let another sneeze fly.
“You may feel fine but you are most definitely are sick.” Said Twilight. go inside and try to get some rest while I schedule an appointment at the doctors office.”
Cobalt looked worried. “Oh no not the doctor.” He groaned.
“Don’t worry it’s not the same doctor you met when you first got here... I’m not even sure if he has a doctorate.”Twilight wondered out loud.
“I still don’t want to go.” He begged.
“Well there’s one other pony I guess you could see.” Twilight sad reluctantly “She’s not technically a doctor. Hay,she’s not technically a pony either.”
“I’ll take take it. ah coo!”

…..............

The Everfree forest was hot and humid. All sorts of wild berries and plants. Where growing. The poison joke was in bloom. Cobalt carefully stepped around it with out Twilight having to tell him to. This amazed her but she kept it to herself. When they reached the small hut Twilight said “Here we are. I’ll tell Zecora where here.” She opened the door to the small hut. The zebra was currently pouring some potion ingredients. She glanced up from her work.
“Twilight, I have not seen you for a week. What is it that you seek?” Zecora said
“I’m sorry I’ve been busy lately. Zecora I’d like you to meet Cobalt.
“Pleased to meet ah coo!” Cobalt sneezed
“By the sound of that sneeze, diagnosing this illness will be a breeze.” Zecora
“You can Diagnose diseases by sneezes?” asked Twilight. Zecora ignored the question
“This is definitely Alicorn flu.” Said Zecora. “Listen close this is what you must do. with this special potion and strict bed rest. And soon Cobalt will be at his extraordinary best” Zecora handed Twilight a vile of green liquid. “How long does he have to stay in bed?” Twilight asked
“In a week or two, Cobalt should be as good as new” Answered Zecora.
“Two weeks?!? I’ll miss the Summer Sun Celebration!”
“Sorry Cobalt, there’s always next year.” Consoled Twilight.
“But it won’t be here next year. You told me the princess never pics the same town two times in a row!”Cobalt complained. He then broke down in tears.
“Tell you what Cobalt. If you stay in bed and follow all of Zecora’s instructions then I’ll personally take you to where ever it is next year.” Twilight said.
“Even if it’s in Cloudsdale?” Cobalt sniffed
“Even if it’s in Cloudsdale.” Twilight lifted Cobalt’s chin up with her head.

…................

Twilight knocked on Fluttershy’s door.”Who is it” Fluttershy’s delicate voice answered from inside.
“Twilight” said Twilight. The door opened a crack
“Oh hello Twilight. what is it that you need?” Asked Fluttershy.
“Well. The Princess has asked me to join her in Canterlot and I need some one to make sure Cobalt says in bed and takes his medicine.” Said Twilight.
“I’d love to.” Twilight squeed. “But I have got go over to Sweet Apple Acres to help with the
apples.” Said Fluttershy.
“I’’m sure Big Mac will take care of those.” Said Twilight.
“Oh I bet he could use a little help.” Said Fluttershy with a nervous smile.
“O.K.” said Twilight “See you later?”
“Of course Twilight.” Replied Fluttershy hurriedly.
Well that was odd Twilight thought to herself. Might as well see if my crazy brother is busy. When Twilight got there the storm gate surrounded his home Well at lest he’s in a good mood. Thought Twilight. She had to teleport to get past it “Spir, are you home?”
She heard loud cursing from the other side of the door. Yep, definitely in a good mood. She let herself in.
As she saw the chaotic smithy/living room strangely empty she thought That's weird I knew i heard something. BOING! She looked up. The gray alicorn was hanging by this hind hoof from a spring on the ceiling.
“Well are you going to stand there looking at me, or are you going to get me down?” Said Reese. Twilight tried to pull him down.
“ow ow ow OW!” Yelled Reese Twilight released. The spring recoiled so powerfully that he smashed a hole in the roof. Then he fell down along with dust and pieces of dry wall. Spir cursed once more as he shook his unruly mane.
“So, You came for some reason.” Said Reese grumpily.
“Actually I’m going to Canterlot for a couple day’s and need someone to make sure Cobalt stays in bed and takes his medicine.”
“Why’s he needing medicine...Sweat and blood is the cure for body and soul I say” Replied Spirit.
“The medicine is from Zecora, She said He has a disease called Alicorn flu.” Said Twilight.
“Alicorn Flu? Did she say it was contagious?”Asked Reese.
“No, but she didn’t say it wasn’t contagious either.”
“Better stay my distance then tell him get well soon for me.” Spir replied
“We’ll take care of him for you Twi.” Sweetie bell said
“WHO LET YOU IN!!!” Spir said.
“The way we always get in.” Scootaloo said
“We haven’t tried nursing yet. Mostly because the hospital thinks we’re too much of a risk.” Chimed in Apple Bloom.
“Well I can’t leave you unsupervised in good faith.” Said Twilight
“Need someone to supervise the Cutie Mark Crusaders? Why not Pinkie Responsibly Pie?” Said Pinkie Pie.
“HOW’D YOU GET IN HERE?” Asked Reese.
“Same way they did” Pinkie said.
“Okay I feel a little better now but still not one hundred percent sure.” Twilight said.
“I’m sure Applejack wouldn’t mind checking in on us now and again”Said Apple Bloom.
“Well in that case...” Twilight said. The three fillies put on there best puppy dog faces.
“You can take care of Cobalt while I’m away.” Said Twilight.
“Yes!” exclaimed Sweetie Bell.
“Cutie Mark Crusader Operation: Cobalt Recovery, Is a go!” Scootaloo shouted.
“Race you to the library!” Pinkie Pie said as she ran out the door.
“We can beat here easy. Come on girls.” Scootaloo said. The three fillies ran out followed by the sound of a motor.
“My moneys one Pinkie she has forth wall powers” Said Spir.
“Some times you make no sense.” Twilight said. “I should be heading for the train station now.” Said Twilight looking at Reese’s homemade wall clock.”I sure hope Apple Bloom and her friends don’t case to much ruckus.”
“Don’t worry Cobalt’s practically a stallion. I’m sure he can handle the fillies and Pinkie.” reassured Reese.
“I sure hope so.”Said Twilight

…....................

“I won!” Pinkie said leaned against the door.
“No fair, I had to also pull these two.” Scootaloo said parking her scooter.
“That’s not my problem.” said Pinkie cheerfully.
“Let’s stop arguing and see how Cobalt’s doing.” Said Sweetie Bell.
“I vote for going inside.” Said Apple Bloom. They all nodded there heads and went inside. They where met with the sound of coughing and sniffling.
“Cobalt are you here?” Sweetie Bell called out.
“Up here” Said a ragged voice from the loft. The fillies and the mare went up stairs the sight the saw there might have been worse than the sound they where met with. Cobalt was sitting upright in his bed. His mane was a rat’s nest and used tissues surrounded him.
“Cobalt you look miserable, and you sound!” Said Sweetie Bell
“I feel miserable.” Replied Cobalt. “So Twilight recruited you to keep me in bed.” Cough Well I’m not going any where so you might as well kick back ,relax,” Cobalt took a book of a self and tossed it toward Apple Bloom “Read a book.”
“Super Naturals: Natural remedies and cure-alls that are simply super. This is the book Zecora uses to make here medicines.” Apple Bloom commented.
“Correct ,ah coo!” Cobalt sneezed “In fact she used her copy to make my medicine speaking of which. Pinkie if you would.”
“I’m on it!” Pinkie dashed down the stairs and came back with a vile of potion. “Hear you go.” Cobalt swigged down the green liquid.
“Blah. This stuff may taste funny but Zecora says it will make me better’ Cobalt said, “Any ways, I've thoroughly studied the copy here. But could not find the recipe she used to make my medicine. So I’ve asked Twilight, while she is in Canterlot, to look though the copy in the royal library, cough cough to she if she could find the original copy. But in the mean time I’ve looked in the health section here and found no mention to alicorn flu.”
“Dude, you have way to much time on your hooves.” Said Scootaloo.
“And you really shouldn’t be taking. Because then you might lose your voice. And then you couldn’t talk just imagine if I just stopped talking. But if you don’t talk so you can talk it’s kinda’ a moot point.” Pinkie Pie ranted
“Pinkie, I respectfully say, shut your trap. You’re making my head ache worse.” Cough Cobalt.

…...............

“Ah, Canterlot. Oh how I’ve missed you. I have know idea why Reese hates it here.” Twilight said coming out of the train station. A couple of unicorns walked past with there noses stuck the air. “That might be one reason.”
“Twilight Sparkle?” A white pegasus in golden armor said gruffly.His cutie mark was two crossed sabers
“Yes, uh... that’s me.” Twilight said.
“I’m Silver Sword, The Princess’s captain of the guard. She asked me to escort you to the castle.” The pegasus said.”
“Um, OK” Said Twilight rather confused. She had never gotten an escort. Even from a low ranking guard. But she kept this to herself as she was following Sliver Sword down the familiar paths to the castle. the draw brig was down as it always was. Princess Celestia kept it down to show a warmness and openness. It has to be a really dangerous situation for the Princess to close the draw bridge. The Princess’s assembly hall was virtually empty. The stain glass window gave a multicolored tint to the long room. “Twilight Sparkle, my most prized student. You may leave us Captain Sliver.” Sliver Sword nodded his head and trotted outside. (
“So how’s Cobalt?” asked the white mare.
“He’s fine... actually caught an illness called alicorn flu.” Twilight admitted. “Ever heard of it.”
“Can’t say that I’ve have.” The Princess said.
“Well Cobalt’s asked me to research on it while I’m in Canterlot.” Said Twilight
“You know you are always welcome to use the royal library. But i can not simply allow you to spend all day in those dusty books. So I’ve booked a table at one of my favorite restaurant for you, Luna ,and I. The head chef might be a bit mean but the food is simply to die for.” Explained the Princess.

…..................

“WHAT THE *BLEEP* ARE YOU DOING MARE. WE CAN’T FEED THIS *BLEEP* TO THE PRINCESS'S. THIS IS *BLEEEEEEP*. GET THE *BLEEP* OUT OF MY KITCHEN.” The shouting for the kitchen continued almost all night. A young mare in an appron ran out of the kitchen crying
“Excuse me.” Said Luna looking rather annoyed. She got up from her salad and when into the kitchen.
“So does he follow you everywhere.” Said Twilight referring to Captain Sliver who was sitting at the bar having himself a brandy.
“Ever since the Discord incident, Yes he won’t allow me to go anywhere by myself.” Said Princess Celestia. More shouting came from the kitchen this time it was the royal Canterlot voice.
“YOU’VE GOT TO BE *BLEEP*ING KIDDING. THIS FOOD IS *BLEEP*ING AMAZING. AS THY PRINCESS OF THE NIGHT WE *BLEEP*ING ORDER THEE TO RE-HIRE THAT FAIR MARE. Have we spoken in a way that thou hast understood” Shouted Luna. She then came out of the kitchen and sat down at the table and began eating her salad again.
“So have you made any progress. On your search for Information on the alicorn flu.” Princess Celestia asked quickly changing the topic from the moment of awkwardness that just happened. Luna almost had a spit take on the wine she was sipping.
“Actually, I spent most of the day looking thought your health section I couldn’t find it mentioned anywhere. Most interesting of all I couldn’t find the book Cobalt was specifically looking for.” Twilight said now taking a sip of her own wine.
“And what book was that.” Asked Princess Luna still coughing on her wine.
“I’m not sure if you would know about it.” Twilight replied
“You would be surprised how bookish Luna is.” Said Celestia. “Virtually spent all of last year kept up in that dusty place. Her excuse was ‘A thousand years of new learning’ I had to almost force her out on Nightmare Night.”
“We’ll the book is called Super Naturals: Natural remedies and cure-alls that are simply super?” said Twi.
“We... I mean I believe I saw that book a while ago. Are you sure it wasn’t misfiled under ghost stories?” Said Luna
“Might have been... At first when I was in Ponyville the title put me off.”Said Twilight putting a bite of food into her mouth
“If you have this book in your library why do you seek it here?” Asked Luna.
“Cobalt says that our copy is abridged in some way.” Replied Twi.
“Interesting” Said Luna.

….................

“Sweetie Bell!”
“Coming Cobalt!” She ran up the steps.
“Medicine” Cobalt crocked.
“Right away” Sweetie Bell said. Running back down the steps
“I’m on it” Shouted Apple Bloom from down the stairs as she grabbed the potion. They ran into each other on the steps the. Vile seamed to fly thought the air in slow motion.
“I’ll get It!” Scootaloo flew up into the air and tired to grab it but missed. The green liquid smashed on the library floor.
“You *cough* smashed the *cough* last vile of medicine didn’t you?” Cobalt’s horse voice said from up the stairs.
“Maybe...” Answered Scootaloo guiltily.
“Must go to *cough* Zecora’s *cough* get more *cough cough* medicine.” Cobalt said trying to get up.
“Cobalt Zecora says you have to stay in bed.” Said Pinkie Pie. Who was currently on bed patrol.
“Apple *cough* Bloom.” Cobalt said.
“I think he means I should go to get more from Zecora’s seeing that I know her the best and all.”

….............

“Out of medicine, that no problem. It’s not like i need toe jam of goblin.” Zecora Grabbed her copy of Super Naturals and turned to where the page for the cure for alicorn flu was supposed to be. But found it was torn out “This is no go the page is gone. With out medicine Cobalt wont last long.” Zercora said worriedly. “So if Twilight can find the recipe in Canterlot, Cobalt won’t make it?” Zercora solemnly nodded.

…...........

“Ugh, I think I had a little to much wine last night.” Said Twilight. She noticed a scroll on her desk. “What’s this, a letter?” It indeed was letter it was from Apple Bloom.
“Dear Twilight Sparkle,

We are out of medicine. Zecora’s recipe is missing. Without medicine Cobalt won’t make it. Please hurry.

Yours Sincerely Apple Bloom.”

“I’ve got to get to the library.” Said Twilight she ran down the library still in her slippers and robe which Princess Celestia had graciously given her. Partly because of drowsiness she tumbled down the spiral steps that lead up to her tower room. When she was now longer stunned she began galloping like a mad mare to the library. When she got there She looked thought the health section again just to make sure she didn’t miss anything then moved on to ghost stories like Luna suggested. Sure enough she found the green book in the middle of the self. She filliped though it to make sure it had the recipe she was looking for.

“Come on, Come on...” Twilight muttered under her breath as turned the pages so rapidly It’s a wounder how she could read them. “Got ya!” she said putting her hoof on the page. “I just need to get this to Apple Bloom so that she can get it Zecora So she can make more medicine. I need some parchment!” She ran to one of the library’s work desk pulled a quill and piece of parchment out of It’s drawer and wrote this down.

“Alicorn Flu remedy:

One apple blossom

Oak moss

Giant mushroom spores

Rose oil

Ground Garlic.”

…................

“Open up” Said Sweetie Bell while Apple Bloom pored green liquid down the throat of the young alicorn.

Cobalt came to “Cough, cough. Uhhh never forget to get me medicine ever again.” He said.
“Yes ,Cobalt. Are you feeling better?” Asked Scootaloo.
“I was kinda hard to feel worse than I did.” Said Cobalt. There was a knocking at the door.
“Twi’s Back!” Squealed Apple Bloom.
“Hi, girls. How”s Cobalt.” Asked Twilight
“Better, know that I got some medicine in me.” Said Cobalt from up stairs “You know it sucks being stuck in bed.”
“Well I might have something to take care of that boredom.” Twi grabbed a book from the fiction section. And took it up the stairs. “This is one of my favorite books.” she set the book on cobalts lap.
“Daring Do? I guess I’ll give it a try.” Said Cobalt skeptically.
“Trust me, you’ll like it.” Said Twilight. Cobalt opened the book and started reading.

…...............

“How’d you like the book.” Asked Twi. Cobalt kept a strait face. Twi became a little worried. A smile then spread across Cobalt’s face.
“I LOVED IT!!!”