• Published 27th Feb 2012
  • 2,777 Views, 187 Comments

The Fourth Alicorn - Cobalt the Kitsune



Twilight Sparkles new assignment is a little... different. An Alicorn colt who has no memory.

  • ...
52
 187
 2,777

Chapter 18: Star of Kindness

Sirius was standing in front of an army of soldiers waiting for his orders. A battle was inevitable but Sirius mind was not on the safety of his troops or how many were about to die. All he could think about was how good the feeling of running though a shade or changeling would be.

A white stallion with an artificial wing trotted over to him. “General Sirius, there’s no way we can fight today and not take heavy losses. I suggest we...”

“What Silver Wing? March back to Everfree? No, we fight today.”

“Sirius, these are not just pawns. They’re, husbands, fathers, brothers. And you’re asking them to fight in a hopeless battle.”

Sirius was a little irritated at this. “Silver, I am your commanding officer and I ordering you get back to your division and await my orders.”

“Yes,sir.” Silver growled

.........

After the battle Silver Wing wandered though the innumerable bodies when he came upon a grey stallion with a sharted diamond sword by his side. Silver then looked up to see Sirius standing on a hill.
“Your ignorance brought this on us.” Sirius began to disappear behind crest. “If you’d had listened to me no pony would have died! Do you hear me Sirius! You caused this!”

.........

Cobalt sat bolt upright in bed. It was still the middle of the night. The words of Silver Wing echoed in his head. You caused this, You caused this.

He went over to the mirror. He could now honestly say he hated the pony starting back at him. You caused this, You caused this. Enraged he smashed the mirror.

You caused this, You caused this. He couldn’t take it anymore. He flew out the window trying to flee the accusation. But it chased him like a mad dog. You caused this, You caused this. Cobalt flew harder and faster than he ever did before.You caused this, You caused this. He flew blindly into the Everfree Forest. You caused his, You caused...

“And I would walk five hundred miles, and I would walk five hundred more.”

“Wha? oof!” Cobalt crashed into Reese.

“Oh hello Cobalt.” Reese said cheerfully. Cobalt,stunned to see Reese singing a happy song, started at him blankly for a moment. Then he remember what he was doing.

“Cobalt where are you going?” Cobalt ran deeper into the Everfree Forest, pushing bushes and low hanging branches out of the way. You caused this, You caused this.

“Cobalt, wait up!” Reese shouted. Cobalt pushed deeper and deeper in. You caused this, You caused this.

Reese was now flying along next to him. “Cobalt, is something wrong?”

“This doesn’t concern you Reese!” Cobalt shouted back. Soon the two alicorns found themselves in the old castle courtyard. This is where Cobalt stopped

“Cobalt, I’m your friend. Please tell me what’s bothering you.” Cobalt turned away from Reese, not being able to bear looking upon his face.

“Resilient Spirit.” Reese turned around to see Luna coming out of the shadows “It’s best if you let me handle this.”

“Of, course your majesty.” Reese then took off into the night.

“Have I lead any of your loves to their deaths?” Cobalt asked Luna.

“No, I was too young to have any loves in your army.” Luna said. “And I know the way you feel. I was the same way after I was freed from Nightmare Moon.”

“How’d you cope with it?.”

“I took the advice of an old friend and didn’t let my past rule me.”

“What old friend was that?”

“A stallion by the name of Starswirl the Bearded.” Luna spread her wings to take flight, but then turned back to say. “Cobalt, Celestia and I would just love it If you stayed with us in Canterlot for a few days.”

Cobalt smiled at her. “Of course I’ll come. When should I leave.”

“Right now If you feel up to it.” Luna said spreading her wings once more.

Cobalt followed suit “Of course I am.”

.........

The cool night air was a soothing spring for the colt’s troubled mind. He felt more at home in the sky than he could ever on the ground.

“Hey Cobalt look at me!” Luna did several backflips then backstroked though the air then flipped belly down again.

“Nice Woona, I mean Luna but watch the master of the sky at work.” Cobalt corkscrewed into the sky. Did several loops around the moon as it eclipsed. Then dived bombed at a sharp angle. When he hit hypersonic speeds lightning spread from him in all directions and a sound resembling thunder rang out.

“Whoa,” Luna said as the shadow of the world moved off of the moon. “What do you call that.”

“I don’t know, the thunderclap?” cobalt suggested.

“I like it.” Luna smiled brightly at him then flipped on her back. “In your past life we never had moments like this.”

“Then that’s another thing I’ll have to work on won’t I Woona?” Luna giggled then filped on her belly again.

“We should be almost to Canterlot.” She said.

Suddenly Cobalt noticed movement bellow. “Luna, did you see that?”

“See what?”

“I though I saw something move. I’m going to see what it was.”

“Wait for me!” Luna called out as Cobalt decened.

.........

Two changeling soldiers were walking together at midnight. There were about ten others walking with them but they couldn’t see them. When a sound like thunder rang out that’s all they took it as, thunder. But then they heard voices as well.

“I swear I saw something.” the changelings couldn’t afford to be discovred, not now not when they were nearly outside the gates of Canterlot.

“What’s that?” Cobalt asked Luna when he heard a rustling sound.

“Perhaps, It’s wise if you stay here.” Luna said.

“And miss all the...”

“Brother, is something wrong?” Luna asked

“No,no everything's fine I’ll stay here.” Cobalt said.

“Ok then,” Luna went towards where she heard the rustling. Suddenly a changeling tried to pounce on her. But was stopped and blown back and tree by a powerful wind. When Luna turned around her eyes were glowing white.

“HOW DARE YOU TRY AND ATTACK THE PRINCESS OF THE NIGHT.” Suddenly the rest of the pack came ate her. As Cobalt looked on he stood frozen not bearing to see his sister fighting the changelings by herself but not wanting to become like Sirius delighting in bloodshed.

Where Luna’s back was turn on of the changelings chomped at Luna’s back leg. Cobalt winched at the pain. Luna then whipped up a whirlwind more powerful than any what any pegasus could dream of creating. This effectively blew away all the changelings expect one. Luna had questions for him.

“WHY ARE YOU HERE?” Luna shout while holding him against a tree.

“We... we’re the advance party...” He said barely being able to breath.

“FOR WHAT?”

“An invasion... the likes before which have never been seen before.”

“BY WHOM THE CHANGELINGS?” This time the changelings answers was a seizure and foam from the mouth.

“He took a cyanide pill.” Luna dropped him on the ground. “We won’t be getting more answers from him.” She then walked passed Cobalt and onto Canterlot.

.........

Any pony would be concerned if the discovered cobalts room that way it was. The bed was in disarray, the mirror on a million pieces on the floor.

“Oh, Reese what if something took him.” Twilight said nervously.

“I told you Twi, I left him with Luna, he’s in good hooves”

“I hope so. Did you notice anything strange?”

“He didn’t seem to be acting like himself.”

Then spike came into the room with a letter. “This came for you Twilight,”

Twilight lead the letter out loud like always:

Dear Twilight,

Do not fear for Cobalt’s safety. He is with us in Canterlot. But it is my unfortunate duty to inform you that we are about to go to war. Cobalt and I stumbled into an advance party of changelings. Both of us are unharmed but attacking royalty is still considered an act of war.

Signed,

Princess Luna.

.........

There was a huge gathering at the castle. Apparently Celestia was going to give some sort of address.

“My loyal subjects. It is my duty as your Princess to inform you about recent events that have transpired. Remember this is only to inform not to scare or start any accusations.

“Last night while traveling with a friend, Princess Luna my sister, came across the start of a changeling invasion” several murmurs went around the audience. “Furthermore we have reason to believe that Chrysalis isn’t acting alone. She may be getting support and help from some of Equestria’s oldest enemies.” The murmurs then escalated into total upheaval.

Some pony shouted out from the audience. “What is the Royal Guard doing about this?”

“I assure you that Ctp. Silver is taking over precaution against invasion!”

“Ton, of good it did us last time!” A mare shouted. “What happens if they fail us?”

Silver Sword took the microphone. “We will not fail you!” Celestia took back the microphone one more.

“His necessary act’s will be effective immediately, no pony is to be outdoors from dusk until dawn, royal guards are to be on alert at all times...”

As the list went Cobalt looked on from behind a curtain. But then he turned his back on the crowd.

.........

In the room Cobalt was assigned all the furniture had drop cloths over it. Cobalt uncovered a rather luxurious bed, a mahogany armorer , a durably designed desk, a leather chair, a chestnut chest of drawers.

As Cobalt flopped on his bed, some pony knocked on this door. “Come in.”

Celestia then walked in. “I hope you’ll be comfortable here.”

“It will be fine.”

“You haven’t uncovered the mirror yet.” Celestia began to unveil the mirror, before Cobalt jumped in front of it.

“NO, NOT THE MIRROR!!!” Celestia was taken aback by her brothers behaviour. But she knew he had his reasons and that she should most likely like him be. He then went back the bed.

As she left she said to Cobalt. “Me and Luna are here for you if you need anything.” All his answer was turning his back toward her.

.........

Almost a week later, Luna and Celestia were walking in the garden together.

“Well one good thing is coming out this.” Celestia said.

“What is that my dear sister?” Luna asked.

“Silver Sword isn’t following me around day and night.”

“I guess thats good,” Luna looked up to Cobalts window to see him watching them somberly. “I worry about our brother.”

“Me too, I never remember him being this... Unstable.”

“It’s because he blames himself for the deaths of all the ponies that died in the shadow war.”

“He really shouldn’t be so hard on himself.” Celestia then saw something hanging from her golden apple tree. “What’s that?” Both Celestia and Luna went over to investigate.

“Oh my!” Celestia said before covering her muzzle. Hanging from a high bow on the tree was one of the royal guards. Luna tore off an note that was pinned to the victim's chest.

To the Alicorns:

This is only the beginning,

And don’t even think you are winning,

We are in your citadel already,

an attempt to stop us would be petty,

Prepare to descend into a world of fear,

for soon my army will be here,

NS,QC, and D,

“Well at least we know where the discord statue went.” Luna said.

.........

There was an knocking on Cobalt’s door. “Come.”

Cadence poked her head inside. “Hi dad,”

Cobalt was lying on his bed. “Hey, sweetie.”

Cadence came fully into the room. “I have great news!” Cobalt gave no response. “I pregnant!”

“Oh, cool.” Cobalt sounded very apathetic.

“Aren’t you excited to be a grandparent?”

“Yeah totally excited, Woohoo.” Cobalt made a circle with his hoof in the air.

“You don’t sound very excited. Is something wrong?”

Cobalt leapt from his bed. “So what if there is?”

“So I’m your daughter and care for you!”

“What will your care do?” Cobalt stormed to his window. “No amount of love and forgiveness can erase the blood on my my hooves.”

“What blood? Night Stallion instigated those deaths not you!”

“I AM JUST AS GUILTY AS HIM!”

“Celestia, Luna, and I don’t believe that.” Cadence turned Cobalt around. “And neither should you.” Cadence tried to cradle Cobalt’s face but he turned away. “What do we need to do to convince you of that?” Cobalt gave no reply.

.........

That night Cobalt had a dream that he was walking though the aftermath of an fierce battle. The stench of death and smoke filled the air. The bodies of valiant warriors where sturn about. Suddenly a voice came out of nowhere

“You’ve been suppressing me Cobalt.” Cobalt recognized the voice. It was his only more mature and rough. “I can help you. You need me now more then ever.” A dark blue alicorn with claw marks over his right eye.

“I do not need you!” Cobalt shouted. “You are evil and have no place in me.”

“No, I am you and theres no use fighting that.”

“I do not plan to fight. You or any pony else.”

“So you’ll just stand by and do nothing while Night Stallion takes everything you care about?” Several images of burning cities, his sisters, daughter, and friends being dragged to some unknown location.

“No...no...of course not.”

“Then take proactive measures. You know where that snake is hidding! Go into the caverns and find him. Feel your sword go into him. Watch him bleed out and see the light fade from his eyes!”

“NO! I WILL NOT KILL HIM! I WILL DO WHAT IS NECESSARY, BUT I WILL NOT KILL HIM!”

“Why? Do you want to fight the forces of darkness again and again?”

“No. It is because I will become like you.”

“Why? I’m strong ,courageous ,brave.”

“Corrupt, arrogant, and apathetic of the devastation you’ve caused. I will fight my enemy but I will not kill him.”

You must, It is our destiny!”

“No, It was your destiny. I might be in your body but I am not you.”

“YOU WILL REGRET THIS. YOUR PAINS WILL BE GREATER THAN!”

“SHUT UP YOU TYRANNICAL GENERAL!” Sirius then collapsed into dust.

.........

Cobalt was awoken by the faint sunlight though a small part in his velvet curtains. The confrontation with his previous self had given him the motivation to do what's necessary and also let him like himself again.

So he threw open the windows and let the sunlight flood his room. He then turned his attention to the mirror. The mirror he deliberately left covered. He through off the drop cloth and looked into his golden eyes, and for the first time in several weeks he didn’t hate them. Then he turned himself around and discovered a fifth star on his flank, star of kindness.