• Published 27th Feb 2012
  • 2,773 Views, 187 Comments

The Fourth Alicorn - Cobalt the Kitsune



Twilight Sparkles new assignment is a little... different. An Alicorn colt who has no memory.

  • ...
52
 187
 2,773

Chapter 21:Simple Gifts

As, Cobalt once looked over Iciel’s healing, so she did know, often replacing bandages, feeding, and washing him herself. His injuries where thus, that he could not leave his bed for days, when he finally did he either pressed against Iciel or the walls. He couldn’t quite master the stairs yet. He actually fell down them several times.

One day Silver Sword came to visit him. “Hey, there’s the wounded soldier!”

“Who are you and what did you do with Captain Silver?!?”

“Aren’t I allowed to have bedside manner, sheesh.” Silver tosses a bag of jelly beans into Cobalt’s lap. “Happy Hearth warming’s eve.”

“Whats this?” Cobalt fiddles with the packaging.

“I think that I would get you something that appeal to your sense of taste, for obvious reasons”

The bag bursts over and on Cobalt. “uhh, this is so embarrassing.” Cobalt scoops up some of the beans but misses more then he picks up. Silver sighs and helps Cobalt pick up the candies. “Silver, before I passed out, I heard the Iceo call you something. Phoenix, Phoenic?”

“Phoenikhi?”

“Yes that’s it what does that mean?”

Silver sits at the foot of Cobalts bed. “There’s an old pegasien legend. You see the pegasi weren’t always a warrior race. They were, like all ponies, slave’s to dragons.”

“Dragons? I have no memory of this.”

“This was before the time of the alicorns. Ponies usually where made to work in the mines, digging up there food. The ponies often emerged weary and depressed. Those that were weak wear disposed of. ”

“That’s horrible!”

“That’s life!” Silver angrily snapped. Cobalt is taken back a bit. Sliver sighs. “Sorry about that. This just brings back some… unpleasurible… memories for me.”

“Y-you don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to.”

“I think you need to know. A pegasus colt, ripped from the arms of his mother, grew strong working in the mines. He noticed the sorrow and misery of those he worked with, and wondered how he might end it.

“He noticed a phoenix nest. It was always there when he came out of the mines from there. One day the colt was lucky enough to observe its fiery renewal. This interested the colt. Slowly but surely he made friends with the phoenix.

“Although the phoenix seemed to understand the colt, the opposite was not true. So the young colt strived to learn the complex vocal and physical cues that make up the phoenix communication. After long months of trial and error, the two friends could carry on a conversation, as if they were two ponies.

“Communication wasn’t all the youth learned from the phoenix. During the times they were to together the phoenix taught him how to manipulate fire.”

“Fire manipulation? I thought this was a pegasus we we’re talking about.”

“All ponies have magic in them, using it comes easier to some types then others. It took many years of lessons and practice before he mastered the skill. By then he grew into a strong young stallion, attractive as well. He could hardly go through the camp without catching the eye of a young mare.

“But the issue of his people’s enslavement pressed hard on the stallion, often keeping him awake at night. During these times he consulted, his friend, the phoenix.

“One time the phoenix suggested that should encourage his people to escape to the north to gain freedom. He then asked how they might make wagons and other provisions . The phoenix, almost scolding him, told him that he could gather ore from the minds they we’re working in and wood from the nearby forest.

“Almost immediately he put the phoenix’s plan into action. He recruited some of the other miners to help him in his endeavor.

“The dragons became suspicious after they spotted a messenger, going to tell another work camp about the plan. So they sent a guard to watch over each camp to make sure they were doing the tasks given them. Secretly the continued to stock pile food and other things they would need for the trek.

“The young stallion sent the phoenix with a message one night. That the ponies should slip the guards gems laced with a sleeping draught so they might escape. As soon he was sure the guard was sleeping soundly he lead the camp, following the phoenix, away from the minds and into the north.

“After a few weeks journey, his party meet with the other work camps in a valley, kin reunited with kin. And even the brave young stallion found his own mother. But this reunion was bitter-sweet for you see… she was sick and dying. She bid her son to her bed side… and she said taking his hoof…”

Silver shut his tearful eyes and paused. “Is there something wrong?”

No it’s nothing.” Silver sighed and whipped his eyes. “She said. ‘My how you’ve grown…I wish I could have been there to watch you become what you are... and I’m afraid…. I-I’ll never see what you will become.’ The young stallion begged his mother to stay with him. She shook her head and said. ‘No love, I am old and grey… these ponies… they you expect you to lead them to freedom… be strong for them …and for me.’

“The young stallion bowed his head. ‘I-I’m not sure if I can.’ The mare then put her hoof under her sons chin and lifted up his head.

“‘Do not doubt yourself. You have the spirit as strong as a phoenix’s… do not weep when I am gone… because… I’ll be always watching o’er you.’

“The stallion felt the strength in his mother hoof begin to fade. ‘No please just a bit longer!’

“’Remember love, death is not the end. But a new beginning’ and with that she slipped from her mortal form. The stallion sniffled and squeezed his eyes shut. That night see was buried and a simple marker, only a stone with a name carved on it, was set at her head.

“And that was the day the young stallion took upon him the name of Phoenikhi, being interpreted to mean phoenix spirit.”

“Wait, so you’re telling me, you did all this? Is the phoenix Firast?”

“Let me finish! The party reached the mountain range the marked the end of the dragons territory. They we’re only one snowy pass away from freedom. But the dragons had pursued them and know where on top of their tails. Knowing that the dragons wouldn’t dare follow them over the mountain, the phoenixes lead the ponies while Phoenikhi held back the dragons back by using their own fiery breath against them.

“When the ponies where all over the mountain the phoenix looked desperately at Phoenikhi who was running towards him. Suddenly the mountain released all its snow at once and buried the brave stallion. The dragons turned around and when to their own lands.

“With a heart full of sorrow, the phoenix searched the snow for any sign Phoenikhi, but was unable to find any trace.”

“O…k… So what happened after you died?”

“Did I ever say Phoenikhi was me?”

“Dude that was wwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy to detailed to be an accent myth.”

“Don’t miss a beat do yeah.” Silver reached over and rustled Cobalt’s mane a bit.

“If that we’re true I’d still have my sight.” Cobalt knocks Silver’s hoof away “But seriously what happen?”

“Well, It turns out my spirit was so strong and resilient that it survived and I was reborn. This happened over and over for 3000 years. Your pervious self met one of my incarnations, Silver Wing.”

Cobalt hung his head. “I was an idiot back then.”

Silver slightly chuckled “Yes, you we’re.”

Cobalt smiles. “That really helped my self-esteem.” Cobalt tries to punch Silver in the arm but misses, epically so.

Both he and Silver laugh. Iciel then walks in and smiles. “If you two are done, I need to get Cobalt washed up so that he can be up and about. It makes no sense to be in bed on Hearths Warming Eve.”

“I need to get back to my duties anyways.” Silver gets up and starts walking out.

“See you later, Silver. Well technically speaking”

Silver chuckles “You too.”

………

Mr. and Mrs. Sparkle rush about their kitchen making finally perpetrations to the families’ meal. Twilight and Trixie had gotten into a conversation about magic (as they often did) Mean while Shining Armor visited with his brother working in the makeshift shed in the back.

“You’ve become quite the metal worker.” He said while admiring some of the blades the adorned the walls.

“Thank you, I try.” Reese pounded out some blazing hot metal.

“So, um…..” Reese goes over and quenches the blade in a bucket. “What are your making?”

“Throwing blades for Princess Luna.” He starts honing the edges of the discs on his grinding stone.

“Oh so you plan on going to the palace tonight?”

“I was actually going to ask you to take the things I made for Cobalt and his sisters for me.”

“Oh um, sure bro, but don’t you want to deliver them personally?”

“No not really.”

“Ok then, um, see you round I guess?”

“I’ll leave the gifts here in the shop so you can pick them up when you go to the palace.” Reese seats the throwing blades in a tissue paper lined box, and puts a festive lid on the box, and sets it on the pile, of boxes wrapped in festive colors.

………

After a breakfast of fluffy pancakes, and citrus fruits, Iciel and Cobalt walks thought the garden. Cobalt had to press against Iciel so that she could lead him. Cobalt enjoyed the healing aromas of the different herbs and flowers. But he felt something on Iciel side. He was so distracted, he couldn’t enjoy the sweet smell that surrounded him.

He finally asked. “Iciel? Is this… a wing?”

“Well um,” It shifts on her body a bit. “yeah. I thought that you’d want to learn to fly and perhaps if I learn to fly I can help you relearn” Starts shying away.

“Your fine, your fine, I appreciate the gesture. How’s it going?”

“So far? I’m able to pull off a nice hover.”

“Good, good.” They walk for a while.

“Cobalt, do you think we’re going to slow? In our relationship I mean.”

“No, I like the pace we’re at. But we could go faster if you want.”

“Perhaps just a bit.” Cobalt cautiously slides his wing around Iciel. Iciel returns the move with a peck on the check. The couple smiles and walks together.

………

“Night both the changelings and Iceos will be ready to mobilize to night, sir.”

“Nah, I don’t feel like it.”

“But, Sir, I thought we deiced now is the best time to attack!”

“I told you I don’t feel like it.”

“If I didn’t know better you we’ve giving the ponies a break!’

“No! No, of course not!”

“Then order the attack.”

“No!”

“But!” A shadow tendril wraps around her snout and closes her mouth.

“If I said there’ll be no attack, there’ll be no attack! And there’ll be no questions asked!” He releases her jaw and walks off.

………

The Sparkle Families Hearth Warming’s Eve dinner was well under way.

“Please pass the potatoes.” As Mrs. Sparkle.

Twilight levitated other some potatoes. “Could you pass those celery sticks, Shinning?”

“Only if you pass the Cranberry sauce, Twily.”

Reese, looking rather sullen, rolled his eyes. Trixie glances at Reese and leans over and whispers. “Is there something wrong?”
` “Nothing. I’m just not one for family gatherings.”

………

Joyous laughter filled the palace, as the royal’s celebrated the holiday.

“I think we can start opening presents while waiting for Shinning to join us. Don’t you think Cadence?”

“I guess so.”

“How we does this oldest youngest?”

“Well seeing that you are both oldest and youngest, Cobalt your first either way.”

“Ok then.”

Celestia levitates over a small box. After feeling around for a seam in the wrapping he was able to remove it easily. He was able to feel it was wood. And there was a lid…. Hinges. He opened the lid and a bright melody was plucked out

“A music box! Thanks Celestia!”

“My turn!” Luna levitates over an oddly shaped package. As soon as Cobalt opened the package the tangy sweet aroma of citrus and pine filled his nostrils.

“Incents?”

“uh-hun”

“Thank you Luna.” Cobalt opens in front limbs and Luna hugs him.

“This is from me and Shinning, Hopefully this will appeal to your sense of touch.” Cadence levitates over a fur lined trench coat over to cobalt.

Cobalt felt the coat. “This is soft, thank you Cadence.”

“Well put it on!”

“Oh um.” Tries to put it on, but can’t manage it.

“Oh, let me!” Iciel goes over to him and helps him put it on. Celestia and Luna giggle as she buttons him up. Cobalt gives her a slight peck unnoticeable to Luna and Celestia.

Suddenly Shining Armor burst in “I come bearing gifts!” Shinning then gave Reese gifts to the respective royal recipients. An average sized one to Celestia, A rather square one to Luna, And a small rectangular one Cadence.

“Oh, Shinning you didn’t!” Cadence said gleefuly

“No I didn’t. I deviled this on behalf of my Brother Resilient Spirit.” Gets out a long cane black wood makes up most of the length with a half foot silver handle with a regal falcon head on the top. “This is for you Cobalt.”

Cobalt was able to identify it quickly enough. “A cane, I will not lie this will be useful.”

“Perhaps in more was then one.”

“Hun? I do not understand.”

“Give the handle a quarter twist to the right.”

Cobalt does so. The handle then seemed to come loose as he pulled it free from the cane a familiar sound meet him. “A hidden sword, Reese you devil!”

The other alicorn unwrapped there gifts. Celestia got two golden gantlets that if she flexed in such a way a hidden blade popped out. To Luna, a set of five throwing blades with a straight handles for her to grip. Cadence received a dagger with a sheath that could be hung round her neck.

“Did her give you anything?”

“Yes, Iciel, A very well crafted spear.”

“Reese, one of the greatest weapon makers I know.” Cobalt slides the blade into the cane and locks it into place.

………

Reese sulks onto one of the balconies of his families’ mansion, as his Trixie, his sister, and his parents laughed inside

I was never made to enjoy such lush settings, but my home is destroyed and what other options do I have? He then looks toward the charred scare which was once a lush forest. The ruins were pretty intact. I could live amongst them. Yes, that is what I’ll do!
Reese readies himself for takeoff when a voice comes from behind him. “Spir?”

Reese turns around to spot Trixie just coming out of the party. “Trixie stay here. These are good ponies and you’ll be safe here.”

“W-wait your leaving. B-but, Spir…”

“There is nothing left for me here.” He turns back toward the ruins.

“Please, if you cannot be persuaded to stay. Then at least… at least let me come with you.”

After a long pause Reese sighs. “Get on.”

………

Cobalt feels the intricate detail on the head of the cane.

“I must ask why a falcon head?”

“Oh that is quite simple. I had a pet falcon. But, I haven’t seen him sense the fire.”

“You don’t think…”

“It is quite possible and most likely.”

“I-I am so sorry.” Iciel looks at her hooves.

“It is quite alight.”

“What was his name?”

“Horus.”

“Was he a good companion?”

“The best.”

………

`There was a tapping upon the window and Twilight went over to see what it was. What she saw was a shivering Horus out in the cold. “What are you doing out there?” She then hurriedly opened the window and let him climb on her hoof.

Horus looks around desperately. “Cobalt isn’t here he’s at the palace.”

Horus screeched and tries to take off but as soon as he kicked off Twi’s hoof he fainted and fell to the floor. Twilight picked up the limp bird. “Poor thing you must be so tried. I’ll let you rest and you can see Cobalt in the morning”

Horus gave a protesting screech and tried to fly again. “Well if you insist we could see him tonight.” Horus cooed and relaxed. “I don’t think you should try flying though.”

………

Reese flew across the sea of stars in the chilled night. Trixie hug Reese tightly, and she gave him warmth, and he her, thus sustaining each other throughout the flight. Reese purposely banked and circled the ruins for quite some time, just so he could feel the mare’s warmth a bit longer. But soon he landed in the ruined courtyard.

“Trixie?”

“Umm-hmm” Trixie nuzzles into the grey alicorn.

“You can let go now.”

“Oh um!” Trixie quickly slips off of him. “Sorry.” Embarrassed she shies away from him.

“It’s alight.” Reese starts to sift through a ruble pile.

“So what are going to do now?”

“We have to live in the present.” Reese starts moving a large rock. “Focus on the here and now.”

“Ok, in that case what are you doing now?”

“There was a mahogany box, never open it. For some reason got worked in my head it was forbidden. Ah!” Reese pulls out the said box, and dusts the rubble off it. As he dusts an alicorn emblem, carved into the wood. As he touches it and blast of memory hits him.

“Something the matter, Spir?”

“No, It’s just I somehow remember… never mind.”

“It’s interesting; somehow I vaguely remember it was well.” Trixie took the box in her hooves. Almost immediately it sprung open revealing a blade burring orange as though it was newly forged. And it’s twin beside it, glowing as the moon, letting off the chill of night.

“What an interesting sword.” Said Trixie taking the moon blade from it resting place.

“Most obviously enchanted.” Reese reached to take the other but he immediately drew back his hoof because of an intents heat. Not noticing Reese, Trixie takes up the other sword.

“How are you doing that?” Reese said caresses his burnt hoof.

“Doing what?” Trixie’s voice was far off and she twilled the blade round no problem.

“Holding that sword? Isn’t it hot?”

“No.” Trixie has no moved onto practice swings.

“Intersenting, I’ve only the only other sword with such a enchantment is... Cobalt’s!”

“Hmm, what was that?”

“Come on!” Reese starts dragging her to The Wisdom Well

“Whoa!”

………

“Three two one, pull!” Iciel and Cobalt pulled on their Christmas cracker. They stubble for a bit after it snaps. Since Cobalt, being blind, stumbled a bit more and tripped onto Iciel.

“Hehehee.” Celestia and Luna giggle.

“You going to have to tell them sometime.” Iciel whispers

“Yes but not right now.”

“Oh Hello Twilight.”

“Hello Celestia.” A clanking of a bird cage rang in cobalts ears. “I have someone that wants to see you, Cobalt.” Twilight opens the door and Horus flys out. When he reaches Cobalt he immeadilty starts nuzzling and chirping happily.

“Hey you’re alive.” Cobalt gives Horus stiches. He coo’s and tries to pull the bandage off his eyes. “Horus, No” The flacon coo’s sadly and nuzzles his owner. “I’ve missed you too bud.”
` Iciel touches her head “So sweet.”

………

“Now Trixie, I want you to stab the blade into the basin.”

“Why wait will happen.” Trixie holds the sword close.

“Nothing harmful.”

“I’m not sure…”

He looks into her eyes. “Trust me.”
` “All right then.” She then stabbed it in.

Trixie and Reese found themselves in a world of black after getting over the disorientation. They could spot a luminescent, Crystal alicorn. But she was collapsed and her light seem to fade.

“Andromeda!” Reese runs over.

“The soul is spilt and the spirit of prophecy grows week.”

“Hello, there.” Trixie goes toward him

“Ah, the ones who soul flies on the wings of healing.”

“What are you trying to say”

“There soul of the alicorn splits after death, memories powers, and skills are shared.”

“That’s… surprisingly strait forwad.”

“When the first soul spilt, earth was forged into weaponry. But lightning was transmuted into a younger from.”

“Cobalt…”

“Weaponry? She could be talking bout you could she?” Reese shakes his head

“The other have of the half of the said soul has frozen from her fluid state into a beautiful Ice sculpture.”

“Ice sculpture? Iciel?”

“I am sorry but, I-I can tell you anymore.”

“But you’ve barely told me anything!”

Andromeda begins fading “I’m sorry, Spir…So sorry.........”

………

Reese gasps on the marble floor of the basin camber, next to Trixie.

“Spir…”

Reese goes over to her. “I-I think we need to tell Cobalt what we saw.”

“Spir I want to talk to you about something.”

“I mean this would directly affect him.”

“Spir! I need you to foucus.”

“Sorry, what did you want to talk about?”

“Spir, with all that’s going on, plus how long we’ve lived together, I think,” Looks down and sighs. “I think I might be developing… deeper… feeling for you. A-a-and I wanted to know.”

“I-if I returned these feelings?” Reese sighs. “I’d like to think I do but I can’t….I can’t be sure.”

“Perhaps, If we stay with each other for I while our Feelings will become sure.” Reese nods and cautiously nuzzles her. Trixie returns the nuzzle.

………

“Good night Iciel.”

“Good night Cobalt.” Iciel smiles leaves Cobalt in his bed. Suddenly she felt a swaying it almost made her sea sick, as she leans against a wall a short off out of body experience took hold of her.

She was in a hammock. She felt like she was in a filly’s body. A youthful stallion put a blanket over her

All tucked in Andromeda?”
“Yes Sirius.”
“Good.” He kisses her on the forehead. “See you in the morning.”

Cobalt told her about Andromeda. But this was odd. I can have her memoires can I? That’s impossible.
Is it?

That voice, it was like hers expect older more elegant.

Who are you?
You, well technically you are me.
A-Andromeda?
Don’t be too freaked out. I’m only going to be here for a little bit just until all my memories settle.
B-but if I’m you I-I’m Cobalt sister and I-I can’t be his sister because I like him romantically. But if I’m his sister that’s all weird and gross
Whoa, whoa, Iciel you’re not really me In that sense. You just have half my soul, some of my powers, and most of my memories.
O-ok… I-I think I need a rest. Iciel sits on her bed.

I know this is a lot to take in, but Iciel. I want you to know you are your own person and don’t need to let me and my history to affect you.
I-I need to sleep.
Then I will be silent
Thank you.
Iciel laid down in her bed, but the new reality that was thrust upon her by a voice in her head keep her away. It made her question her Identity not to mention her sanity. But steadily, surely the drug of sleep took hold and whisked in into a world we’re she didn’t have to worry about such things.