• Published 27th Feb 2012
  • 2,775 Views, 187 Comments

The Fourth Alicorn - Cobalt the Kitsune



Twilight Sparkles new assignment is a little... different. An Alicorn colt who has no memory.

  • ...
52
 187
 2,775

Chapter 20: Friends

Cobalt’s moods where an anomaly to every pony at this point. Sometimes it seemed that he was getting over the loss of Ponyville, at others he seemed to be in the depths of despair. When he was down, he was inconsolable, and stayed moody for days on end. But when it seemed that he might never snap out of it, Iciel floats right in and picks him back up.

One day, Iciel came into Cobalt’s room barely touching the ground.

“You seem happy.”

“Why shouldn’t I be? Leaves are changing color, Spices are in the air, fruits are ripe and ready for harvest. It’s fall!”

“Yes…. It came quite late this year.”

Iciel giggled as she spun across the room. A faint smile appeared on Cobalt’s face. Iciel then sat on his bed and made her ice flute and piped out a happy, familiar tune.

“You’re getting good Anny.”
“Thanks, Sirius”

“Something wrong Cobalt?”

“Hun?” Cobalt shook of his daze. “No, I’m fine… Where did you learn that tune?”

“Oh, it’s just something I figured out on my own.”

“Hm.”

“Didn’t you like it?”

“No, no, I liked it very much.”

“Ok, you just seemed… never mind.”

Cobalt went back to the book he was reading, as Iciel rolled on her back and looked at the decorative mural that covered the celling. It was faded and cracked but you could still make out the scene it depicted. Earth ponies hard at work in their fields, gathering food for the winter, whilst the pegasi brought in velvety clouds and made a north wind make chill in the air. Unicorns where shown using their magic to make leaves change into hues of fiery oranges and reds, soft magentas, and golden yellows.

Iciel closed her eyes and fancied herself, tasting the harvest of sweet apples, pumpkins, and over vegetables of the season, or feeling the cold nip in the air. Iciel half laughed at herself she never did those things. She grew up in the far north, where there is nothing but icy tundra. But yet she could remember tasting an apple and remember feeling the sensation of the fallen leaves. These memories made confused her and gave her a longing to know where they came from.

“Oh I just remembered my sisters wanted you to join them at the royal spa to be pampered later this week. I’m afraid they’ve insisted that you be giving no choice but to join them.”

Iciel smiled at him. “I’ll tell them I’ll be happy to join them.”

………

Silver paced and looked at the clock. “He’s late.”

A phoenix squawked back at him from his perch.

“I know he’s still young, but this is a serious matter!”

The phoenix made a clicking noise.

“He should be worried about it because this directly involves him!”

The phoenix rolled his eyes as Silver sat in a chair facing the fire. The phoenix looked slyly at him and made a coo.

“No! You know she and I could never happen!”

The phoenix made a slightly different coo.

“Of course I think she’s beautiful. But she’s royal.”

The phoenix made a few clicks then cooed again.

“We’re dropping the subject!”

The phoenix clicked, but was interrupted.

“DROPPING IT!”

Cobalt stood in the door way. “Am I interrupting?”

“No, come in.”

Cobalt went over to the phoenix perch and gave him a scratch. “Who’s this?”

“Oh that’s my pet,” The phoenix screeched. Silver rolled his eyes. “My companion, Firast, He has the pleasure of being Philomena’s mate.”

“Philomena? High and mighty aren’t you, Firast?” Firast cooed and leaned into Cobalt’s scratching. “So you called me here for something?”

“I understand that you have memories of fighting Night Stallion?”

“Yes, but I’m afraid then don’t make a full picture.”

“Just tell me what you now.” Silver on again sat down and tended to his fire.

“Well he has power over shadows. He really can get obsessed about things and will not let go.”

“Sounds like a mad dog.”

“Exactly like that… although…”

“What?”

“He’s seemed to lose a few more marbles recently.”

“I see… That will be all”

“O-ok” Cobalt gets up to leave. Out of the corner of his eye, he see’s Silver take a mass of fire and molds it into the figure alicorn, but not just any alicorn. It looked exactly like Celestia. Cobalt then shook it off then went on this way.

………

Iciel sat in a tub full of ice while Celestia and Luna got a massage.

“Isn’t this the life Iciel?”

“Yeah, I guess so.”

“Look Celestia, even Philomena is getting into it!”

“That she is!” Philomena was indeed getting a deep tissue massage, while another pony removes some of the more tattered feathers. “Isn’t about time for her to mate again?” Philomena coos slightly.

“hehe.” Iciel sighs sadly and looks up.

“Something the matter Iciel?”

“Can you tell Luna? She’s daydreaming about Cobalt.” Celestia and Luna giggle. Iciel smiles and splashes them with the Ice water. But Celestia and Luna continue to giggle.

They clam down after I while. “But really Iciel you must like him.”

“Well I like him as a friend, and yeah he’s cute but….”

“But, what?”

“Well, a relationship between me and him is a little farfetched isn’t it?”

“I don’t think so.”

“But he’s royal, and I’m…”

“Not? Iciel this is not the dark ages! Cobalt can marry whoever he wants! And I’ve noticed,” Celestia gives a sigh giggle. “He seems to be increasingly drawn to you.”

“Now really you don’t believe that!”

“Oh, but I do dear Iciel.”

“You two have been spending a lot of time together.”

“Well us but…” Iciel looked up and pondered his and her feelings.

………

Days, weeks, months go by. And life continued per normal. Cobalt when about his duties, Iciel gave comfort when Cobalt was in need. Silver Sword, controlled the army and drilled his troops. News of skirmishes put him on edge. He felt that a bigger battle was on the horizon. But know, the time for Celebrating Hearth’s Warming Eve was at hoof, and war or no war the ponies of equestrian we’re going to celebrate in the traditional way.

Twilight, Reese, and Trixie had moved into the Sparkle’s mansion. Blue Blood graciously offered Rarity accommodations with him. Rainbow and Fluttershy where sharing an apartment in Couldsdale. The apple’s moved to Appaloosa to be with family. Pinkie reluctantly went back to her family rock farm, but she was able to shine a ray of festiveness to their sorrowful lives.

The Royal family, however were forgoing their usual tradition of pomp and circumstance for a far more interment celebration. Cobalt and Iciel worried themselves sick over gifts for each other and the royal sisters. Meanwhile Silver Sword worried about an entirely different problem. He knew that If Night Stallion wanted to attack when they weren’t expecting they’d do it while they were intoxicated off the happy celebrations. So he did not lighten the army’s training. In fact he drilled them so hard that he could be double sure they could mobilize at a moment’s notice.

He wasn’t the only one getting ready for a great battle.

“Look at them, mocking us, celebrating the defeat of our fathers!” The Iceo put down his binoculars.

“You really don’t expect us to win do you? Where obliviously out numbered.”

“I wouldn’t be too sure.” The Iceos turn around, ice blades protruding from there hooves, to the unexpected voice.

Night Stallion quickly raises a shadowy hoof. “I mean no harm.”

“How can we be sure?” The Iceo moves closer.

Queen Chrysalis then steps from behind Night Stallion. “Hello boys.”

“My queen,” Both of them goes down on their knees and start kissing her hooves.

“What is your wish?”

“Name it and it shall be done.” Chrysalis and Night Stallion smile at each other.

………

“Thank you all, for letting Celebrate with you.”

“No thanks necessary, Iciel”

“You’re like an honorary family member anyways.”

“Perhaps not so honorary for long.” Luna and Celestia giggle. Iciel rolls her eyes.

Suddenly a calamity arouse outside. Cobalt goes over to the window. “What is it?” Iciel asked.

“An attack, it appears the Iceos have joined the ranks of shadow.” Cobalt starts strapping on his swords.

“Surely you’re not going out there!”

“Am I.”

“But, you’ll get hurt! You’ll get killed!”

“That’s an occupational hazard.” As Cobalt walk away, the image of a much older alicorn came to Iciel’s mind. She puzzled over this for a moment, but then snapped back into the present.

………

The Iceos proved to be diamond hard, and their wills, tough as steel. They fell upon the guards like ravenous wolfs fall upon a herd of elk. They were more adept to fighting in the cold temperatures, of winter nights than the warm blooded guards The Changeling units Night Stallion provided, moved much more stealthily until the ponies where surrounded. They then took the form of there Icy brethren and attacked.

Silver, fought valiantly whilst encouraging his soldiers, but slowly, surely, the python of ice constricted its fleshy pray. Suddenly Cobalt and some reinforcements came and cut the circle enclosing their comrades. From there on the fighting broke out into one-on-one combat.

Silver was as a phoenix, fighting with both power and grace. While Cobalt, again holding both swords with magic, fought tactically, with the deceive blows of a panther, and the lighting strikes of a cobra. The more changelings flooded in, the harder they fought. Cobalt seemed triumphant, until a slash across his check focused his attention on a lone Iceo.

“Come and get me, pretty colt!” It taunted.

Cobalt held his blades in front of him while he and the Iceo circled each other. Cobalt remained in a demeaned silence, while on the other hand the Iceo gnashed his teeth and spat at the alicorn. Suddenly the Iceo pounced Cobalt brought up his saber to defend himself. But the blade shattered when the ice blade met it.

“I’d thought a palace brat would have a better weapon!”

Cobalt deceitfully caste aside the broken hilt aside and brought his other sword forward. The Iceo laughed as they began to circle each other again. This time cobalt was the one that attacked first. But, being use to fighting with two swords he left himself open for attack. The Iceo was unforgiving to his weakness and gave him a deep slash across his face.

“AAARRRGGG!” He let his sword drop, and quickly brought a foreleg to his eyes.
The Iceo seized this opportunity and cut Cobalt’s other fore leg to the bone. The Iceo put his blade to the back of Cobalt’s neck, and then chuckled.

“How pitiful you look. A great alicorn brought to its knee’s by a simple Iceo. Now it is time for your people to repay the crime against our fathers in blood!” The Iceo brings back the hoof his blade is attached to “Say your prayers alicorn!” Before the blade to fall the Iceo was tackled by a flying figure

Both the Iceo and Silver sword hurriedly escaped the snow bank in which they had landed. Silver quickly crossed his wing blades in front of him in a defensive position.

“It appears we have the habit of delaying the inevitable, eh Silver Wing? Or is that Silver Armor? I hear you’re being called Silver Sword now. What is with you and silver?” The Iceo said as they circled each other.

“Shut up, and fight!”

The Iceo gave a mocking bow. “Of course great Phoenikhi!”

Silver Sword, angry at the stalling of the Iceo, lunged at it, the extra length on his wing blades penetrated its chest. But it chuckled and laughed, because when Silver pulled them out the Iceo refroze the holes which the blades had created.

“You’re going to have to better then that!”

“You asked for it.” Silver Sword’s eyes start to blaze fiery, golden. The Iceos puzzled look turns into one off pain as it holds up the now steaming blade.

“ahah!” quickly he snaps it off, but that does not help him his hoof is now steaming as well. Silver Sword glare becomes more angry and bright. The Iceos hoof lights on fire. He tries shaking it and sticking it in the snow but it grows and melts up his foreleg. Silver’s glare becomes even brighter when the Iceo main body catches fire. Sliver continues to glare at it until it is reduced to a puddle.

After the Iceo was dealt with, he turned to Cobalt, who had fainted because off loss off blood. He slowly shook his head as he investigated the slash across his face. It had most definitely put both of Cobalt’s eyes out of commission. He then lifted the colt onto his back.

………

Running. Breathing. Pounding. Running. Breathing. Pounding.
Cobalt ran through a darkened forest not knowing what from or was too, but he knew he must get away.
Running! Breathing! Pounding! Running! Breathing! Pounding!
Faster and faster he ran form his unknown assailant.
RUNNING! BREATHING! POUNDING! RUNNING! BREATHING! POUNDING!
His running came to and abrupt end after he came to an unendingly high and long wall.
“You are doomed little colt!” Cobalt turned to see Night Stallions shadowy figure coming toward him.
“No, no stay away!” Cobalt backed up against the wall.
Night Stallion stalked even closer. “It is time for you wrong doings to be paid for!”
A hovering knife glimmered in the moon light.
“No, no please!”
Night stallion laughed as he stalked ever closer.
“NO! NO!” Cobalt digs his hooves into the dirt as he presses against the wall even more.
As the figure steps into the moonlight it is reveiled to be not Night Stallion at all but Sirius.
“NO, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!” Cobalt tumbled through the darkness the laughter of Sirius flowing him.

………

Cobalt sits bolt upright in bed and pants heavily.

“Whoa, Cobalt take it easy!” Iciel slowly lowers him back into the bed whilst she continues to dab his wound.

“I-Iciel? W-why can’t I see you?” Cobalt starts to panic. “Good Celestia! I can’t see anything! How will I fight? How will I even function?!”

Iciel tries to calm down the colt. “Co, Cobalt, COBALT!” The colt continues to trash and panic. Iciel looks up and growls angrily before throwing a pillow at him. “COBALT!” The colt finally stops.

“That’s better.” Iciel goes back to dabbing. “Now, this will be hard but, your sisters and I are going to help you though this.”

“W-will I ever see again?”

Iciel sighs sadly as she puts the sponge down and picks up a roll of gauze. “No.”

Cobalt lets her lift his head to wrap his wound. “Then I am to live into a world of darkness.”

“Cobalt! Don’t talk like that! You’ll just have to learn to rely on your other senses, that’s all.” Iciel finishes wrapping his bandage.

“Easy for you to say you’re still whole!”

“No I’m not, seeing you injured like this. Knowing what might have happened” Iciel sets a hoof on his arm. “It hurts me.” Cobalt turns over, away from her touch. She sighs, “Perhaps you need rest.” She picks up the things and gets up too leave.

“No, Iciel, please don’t leave me alone!”

She sits down again. “Of course I won’t Cobalt. I’d never think of leaving you.”

Cobalt reaches out and runs a hoof across her face. “You’re so smooth.” She uses her hoof to press his against her check.

“Iciel, about what my sisters say…”

“Don’t worry about that now.”

“But, Iciel, I think we are becoming more then just friends. I-I think I might be f-falling for you.”

“Oh, Cobalt I think I’m falling too.” Cobalt and Iciel give each other smiles.