• Published 27th Feb 2012
  • 2,773 Views, 187 Comments

The Fourth Alicorn - Cobalt the Kitsune



Twilight Sparkles new assignment is a little... different. An Alicorn colt who has no memory.

  • ...
52
 187
 2,773

Chapter 9: The Royal Banquet

Chapter 9: The Royal Banquet

Cobalt was in his room packing the plastic wrapped suit and hat Rarity made him into his saddle bag. Sweetie Belle had come to drop it off but didn’t go back.

“So, how long are you going to be gone?” She asked.

“Only a couple days.” He replied

“Who you planning on taking? Twi I suppose.” Sweetie Asked.

“Twi’s a real nice pony, but I’m actually going to take Reese.” Cobalt said.

“Why are you going to take him.” Sweetie Belle said almost in shock.

“I don’t really know. Perhaps It’s because he’s the only Sparkle who hasn’t met his royal in-laws yet?” Cobalt said.

“He’s going to hate every second of it.” Sweetie Belle said.

“I know.” Cobalt strapped up the saddle bag and leaned down give Sweetie Belle a kiss.

“Bring me something back.” Sweetie said.

“I’ll be sure to find something you like.” Cobalt said

…......

“I can’t believe that you are making us late... ON PURPOSE!” Cobalt shouted galloping towards the train depot.

“It’s not on purpose.” Reese said keeping up with Cobalt.

“YOU INSISTED TO BUILD ,UNBUILD, AND REBUILD AN AUTOMOBILE ENGINE BEFORE YOU EVEN STARTED TO PACK!” Cobalt shouted even louder.

“Ok maybe a bit on purpose.” Reese admitted.

When they got to the train depo their locomotive was just pulling out.

“Well I guess, we can’t make It. See you later Cobalt.” As Reese tried to get away Cobalt caught Reese’s tail in his white glow.

“Don’t think that stopped us going to Canterlot.” Cobalt said. Then both ponies started to be enveloped in a glowing bubble

“Cobalt?... what are you doing?” Reese said.

….....

Canterlot Square was abuzz with the usual bustle. Hard working business pony with bluetooth, Aristocratic ponies with their muzzles in the air, even ponies that looked “country” cleaning windows were going about their usual days. That was until Reese and Cobalt randomly popped out of nowhere. Then all the ponies stopped and stared at the two alicorns. Reese looked frazzled with burn marks and a messed up mane. But in contrast Cobalt mane was still perfect and his coat remained burn free.

“We are a little early so I’m going shopping for a gift for Sweetie Belle.” Cobalt said going towards the shopping district. Reese swayed and stayed where he was recovering from the sudden teleport.

“Come on Reese.” Cobalt called to the grey stallion.

“Coming.” He replied. When Reese caught up to Cobalt he was looking through a window of a dress shop.

“You think that she would like a dress.” Cobalt asked.

“I,” Reese tried to say something but he was cut off.

“Yeah, your right. Her sister made her a million dresses.” Cobalt said. “Maybe some jewelry?”

“Well,” Reese was once again was interrupted by Cobalt answering his own question.

“No, no, no, too flashy.” Cobalt said continuing down the street. “Hmmm...maybe.”

“Cobalt buddy,” Reese said.

“Ya, Reese?” Cobalt called back looking at a street cart filled with followers.

“I, know how you like to drive yourself crazy with this kind of thing so just take it easy and come back later to it.” Reese comforted. “We might be able to get a tour of Canterlot castle.”

…......

There were several guards standing their post in strict formation. Cobalt approached the main guard on duty and then said. “I have an appointment with the princesses.”

“Do you have a summons?” He asked in a rough voice.

“Of, course.” Cobalt poked through his saddle bag looking for the invasion. But it was in vain. “Reese, I think I might have lost my invite.”

“Sir, without a summons I can let you in.” The guard pony said rolling his eyes.

“No, no, I’m sure that it’s here.” Cobalt said.

“Sir,” The guard pony was about to tell the colt to leave but was interrupted by Luna’s unmistakable voice.

“Cobalt, Resilient, we are so glad you could make it.” She said acting as if she was welcoming friends. “Celestia’s finishing a few things. Your brother, Shining Armor, Princess Cadence, and Blue Blood will be joining us later. Why don’t I show you around while you wait.” She then turned around and cleared her voice. The guards then parted to let them through. Cobalt and Reese closely followed the dark purple mare. She gave an insider's tour of Canterlot Castle. They stopped in Canterlot Tower and Luna asked if Reese and Cobalt had any questions.

“Yeah, I have a few.” Cobalt inhaled deeply. “When was the capital moved from Everfree? Where’s Andromeda? How come the symbol isn’t plastered everywhere like it was in Everfree? Why aren't there any of the stain glass windows I remember?” Cobalt took another deep breath and would have continued if he wasn’t interrupted by Celestia.

“All your questions will be answered at dinner.” She said.

“I hope so ,Tia. Because I have no idea where those questions even came from” Cobalt said rubbing the back of the head.

…......

At dinner Cobalt changed into his scarlet suit and top hat and Reese into his rented tuxedo. The long table was set with seven place settings. Cobalt was assigned the seat directly right of the head where of course Celestia sat. The chefs came in carrying a large bowls of salad and platers rolls.

As soon as the food was set down Celestia said. “Leave us.” The guards and chefs bowed and left. That is all except Silver Sword.

“I said leave us.” Celestia said sharply.

“As ,your, captain of the guard I can’t allow you to,” Silver Sword tried to protest.

“Wait, I thought you were captain of the guard.” Reese said addressing his brother.

“Well I was, but after I got married I resigned my position. And my deputy Silver Sword here took over.” Shining answered.

“But that was your dream bro.” Reese said.

“Well, I guess my love is stronger then my dream. Also it’s sorta a royal tradition to become your wifes unofficial bodyguard. ” Shining said.

“Awww.” Cadence said. And they gave each other a kiss.

“Anyways, as I was saying.” Silver Sword said continuing his thought. “I can’t allow you to go unguarded, even for a moment.”

“Capitan Silver! I completely trust Reese and Cobalt. Also I have your predecessor to keep me protect me.” Celestia sharply reprimanded.

“As you wish, my princess.” He then gave a curt bow and left.

“Cadence If you would.” The pink alicorn drew the curtain with her magic.

“Now we can talk.” Celestia said pouring some wine into her goblet. “I must admit I haven’t been honest. To any pony.”

“What is she talking about? Honey?” Shining asked.

“Just listen.” She told him.

“Over two millennia ago The leaders of the three tribes came here.” Celestia started.

“Oh I know this they found the power of friendship and formed the county of Equestria.” Reese sneered.

“But I was never quite satisfied with that story. It never explained how the Alicorns came into power.” Cobalt said.

“Exactly,” Celestia said. “The truth is that the tribal leaders created an lose union called the Tri-Equestrian Union. Their symbol was three intertwined rings to represent the three tribes and equality between them. Their goal was an integrated society. But there were still some very strong prejudices between the three tribes. So their government was desperately in need of new leaderships when we came.”

“We, as in you and Aunt Luna?” Blue Blood asked.

“No, as in all four of the alicorn siblings.” Celestia continued. “Sirius, was the only male and the oldest, I was the second oldest, Andromeda was the second youngest and Sirius’ favorite, And finally Luna. She was just a filly when when we were proclaimed the rulers.

Why do I remember those names Cobalt thought to himself.

We each had our own elemental powers. Sirius: Lighting, and earthquakes. Me: Fire, Andromeda: Water, Luna: Wind. Sirius was the one that had the most leadership experience and tried to help salvage their government. During this time he became fast friends with the leader of the pegasi Commander Hurricane.

But although all of Sirius’ best efforts The government kept steadily deteriorating. Finally in a desperate attempt to save the society from anarchy they conferred all their political powers on us. Effectively making us their monarchs. During the coronation they gave Sirius gifts, since he was the oldest. The pegasi gave him a full set of armor of obsidian and gold. The earth ponies gave him a saber in hope that he would never need to use it.”

Cobalt touched the saber that never left his side since the attempt on his life.

Celestia continued. “The unicorns made him an purple silk cape, and for each one of us beautiful golden crowns. Right after we were first ordained the soul rulers we renamed the county Equestria and started to build our capital Everfree. An artist made us an emblem by combining our cutie marks. In fact...” Celestia pulled out a piece of aging piece parchment. “Here it is.”

Shining, Reese, Cobalt, and Blue Blood all leaned in to look at it. It was a triangle but instead of corners there were three circles. In the top circle there was an sun. In the bottom left a crescent moon. In the bottom right, a four point star. Celestia pointed to that circle with her hoof and said, “That was Andromeda’s cutie mark.” She then moved hoof to the center of the triangle where there was what looked like a sun but only the rays went out only to the left side. On the right the was a crescent. This was Sirius’s cutie mark.”

Cobalt then felt a burning sensation on his flank.

“For the first five years of his reign Sirius was miserable. It was nothing but social events and audiences. He only took joy in the legal system he set up and keeping his swordsmanship skills sharp.”

“What happened at the end of the first five years?” Cobalt ask hesitantly.

“War came.” Celestia answered grimly. “A dark alicorn, with dark intentions, was hay bent on destroying our peaceable society. His name,... was Night Stallion.”

Cobalt head began to throb at the mention of the name. He immediately grabbed his head in pain.

“You ok, Cobalt?” Reese asked.

“Yeah, keep going.” Cobalt said as the pain subsided.

“He brought with him all sorts of dark creatures. Shades, changelings, and shadow dragons just to name a few. Sirius was half thankful for the war because it gave him the sense of excitement and adventure he used to have. For the next ten years he would be off leading the armies of Equestria.

“Before the last battle he came to us saying, ‘Sisters I have found a way to liberate our fair country. It is a spell that would banish Night Stallion and all his dark creatures to the depths of tartarus. But it might require me to put down my own life.’ Andromeda was adamant that he shouldn’t go. Entreated him with bitter tears to find another way. But Sirius was determined. Before he left us he gave us gifts. Sirius was the greatest gift giver in all of Equestria. To Luna he gave her a magic cloak that wouldn't just protect her from the cold, but also anything her adversaries could throw at her. To Andromeda he gave two swords he made with his very hoofs. And to me he gave me his masterpiece the elements of harmony.”

“Whoa, whoa, whoa, let me get this straight.” Reese said. “Sirius made the elements of harmony.”

“Well some pony had to make them.” Celestia said.

“I just thought... ok.” Reese said.

Celestia continued her story. “Now Andromeda was pregnant at this time. But the three of us kept it a secret from Sirius because he’s what you would call Mr.Overprotective. But anyways, she was due that day. She she died giving birth to a beautiful white baby unicorn colt. You, Blue Blood.”

Blue Blood did a spit take on the white wine he was sipping. “Thats not possible.” he started. “ I was born in the 980th year of the celestial millennium! Not Almost a thousand years before that!”

“I tell you, you were!” Celestia said sharply. “Me and Luna, sent you to the future for your own safety!” Celestia then regained her royal composter. “We learned that Sirius had also performed his spell. We never saw him again... until now.

“I don’t understand.” Cobalt said.

“Don’t you see Cobalt, you are Sirius.” Cadence said almost jumping out of her seat.

“No, no, that’s impossible Sirius died two thousand years ago. Just like Celestia said.” Cobalt said confusion running through his brain.

“No, Cobalt.” Celestia explained. “Sirius didn’t die. His spell, Your spell accidentally opened a rift through time and space. You got sucked in and were sent hurtling to the present day. The age and memory loss was only a side effect of this crude time travel.”

Cobalt slapped his hoof against his forehead and said to himself. “Just like The Doctor said!”

“You know The Doctor?” Luna asked.

“Yeah I met him right when I first arrived.” Cobalt said “Why?”

“Because he’s the one that we had take Blue Blood to the future.” Celestia sated. Blue Blood did another spit take.

“Ok, so I am your brother ,Sirius, who was sent to the future because of a botched spell which also caused me to lose age and memory.” Cobalt said finally coming to grips with the new reality he was presented with.

“Oh, and one more thing.” Celestia said.

“What's that?” Cobalt asked.

“Cadence is your daughter.” Celestia replied. Cobalt again lost all grips with reality and passed out into his salad.

…......

“Dad? Dad?” Cadence voice was fuzzy as Cobalt came to.

“Uuuggghhh, I am the worst big brother slash father in equestria.” Cobalt grounded.

“Don’t say that, Dad.” Cadence said helping her father up.

“But it’s true I wasn’t there at all for you. And I wasn’t there when Luna and Celestia needed me the most.” Cobalt said.

“Well you're here now and that’s fine with me.” Cadence said trying to comfort her father.

“Well, it isn’t for me! Cadence, I promise to you that I will be the best father the ever was. And Luna, Celestia to be the best LBBBFF you ever had.”

“LBBBFF?” Luna asked inquisitively.

“Little brother best friend forever.”

Cobalt: I was once a stallion,

All covered with medallions,

There was never time for you and me,

didn’t think it was a sin,

I had a war to win,

but I never felt all the way complete,

Now I really care for,

And really want to be there for you!

Luna and Celestia: Little big brother,

Best friends forever,

a few peas in a pod,

we'll do everything together,

Celestia: We’ll help you raise your daughter right.

Luna and Celestia: Best friend forever

Luna: You’ll break up all our fights

Luna and Celestia: We’ll do everything together

Cobalt:We'll share our hopes

Celestia:We’ll share our dreams

Luna: We missed you more then we realized,

It seems,

Every pony else: Little big brother,

Best friends forever,

A few peas in a pod,

You’ll do everything together,

Celestia: And even though you were so far away,

Luna: We hoped that you would stay

Celestia and Luna: Our big brother,

Best friend,

forever,

forever,

Cobalt: I’m your little brother,

best friend,

forever,

And now we’ll do everything,

together,

“Reese are you crying?” Shining asked him.

“No! You know how I sweat through my eyes!” a sniffling Reese retorted. then dabbed his eyes with his napkin.

Celestia then said to Cobalt. “Let me remind you about the royal duties and privileges. First regarding the celestial orbs you have the easy job. Just an occasional eclipse is all that's required from you.”

“A what a huh?” Reese asked.

“An eclipse, It’s where the moon covers the sun for a minute or two.” Luna explained

“Sounds scary.” Reese said.

“It’s actually quite awe-inspiring.” Celestia said then she continued. “You can christen ships, Officiate weddings, grant royal pardons, etc. etc.”

“Ok, Tia?” Cobalt said.

“Yes, Cobalt?” She said.

“Do you think Andromeda could come back sorta like I did?” He asked.

“It’s hard to tell. But we can hope.” Celestia anwersered

“I do hope so. She seems like a rather nice pony.” Cobalt said.

“She was.” Celestia said.

“Oh, I just remembered something! I promised I would get something for Sweetie Belle while I was here. You do know that we're dating right?” Cobalt said.

“No, I didn’t know that.” Celestia said. “But I do think I know something that you can give to her. Just a minute.” Celestia then disappeared behind a door. When she came back she was holding a small black box. She then set it in front of Cobalt. “She should like that.”

Cobalt opened the box and then pulled out a simple necklace. Three intertwined rings on a golden chain.

“That same exact necklace was given to me by Princess Platinum during a formal dinner party.” Celestia stated. “And now I can’t think of a more luckier filly then the one you're going to give It to.”

“Thanks,Tia.” Cobalt leaned up and gave his little big sister a hug.

…......

Cobalt and Sweetie Belle sat under the bare branches of the zap apple tree.

“I have something for you.” Sweetie Belle said tossing a colorfully wrapped parcel into Cobalt.

“What’s this.” Cobalt said to himself unwrapping his present. “Daring Do and the Sword of the Lost alicorn.” He said reading the title of the book.

“It’s the newest one. And I know how much you love to read.” Sweetie Belle said.

“I love it.” Cobalt said. “Oh, that reminds me.” Cobalt pulled out the little black box and gave it to Sweetie Belle. She pulled out the necklace.

“Oh, Cobalt It’s beautiful.” She said.

“Well go ahead put it on.” Cobalt urged her.

While she put the golden chain around her neck she asked, “Where’d you get it?”

Cobalt gave a half laugh. “It’s funny only a few months ago you wondered if I was Celestia’s son.”

“Oh, no you aren't really her son are you?” She asked with ture worry across her face.

“No, no,” Cobalt said

“phew, well that’s a relief.” She said.

“But I am her brother.” Cobalt admitted. With this comment Sweetie Belle fainted.

.

Author’s note: the song in this was a parody of the song BBBFF therefore you cannot sue me