• Published 24th Jan 2015
  • 20,458 Views, 5,764 Comments

Letters from an Irritated Princess - Tired Old Man



Celestia writes some blunt letters to her faithful student and friends.

  • ...
71
 5,764
 20,458

PreviousChapters Next
Flurry's Emotions are Uplifting in More Ways Than One

My Dearest Cadance,

I love you with all my heart. I do, and I say this next statement with all the kindness and royal courtesy I can muster:

What in Tartarus were you thinking dropping off your baby with Twilight without even an inkling of advance notice?

Actually, don’t answer that. I know for a fact your mind was not in the right place—you’re raising a huggable baby with more latent magical power than half of the ridiculously powerful ancient artifacts in Equestria. It’s only natural to expect you and your husband would have a few days where a screw comes loose.

Keeping that in mind, what exactly prevented you from finding a local babysitter in the Crystal Empire? Was Sunburst stricken with a case of Hay Fever? Did other babysitters reject the offer because they lacked fire extinguishers, hoof mirrors, or a way to cage a wingspan that could shade four foals from the sun at once? Were they afraid that if a single hair was left out of place on her mane, you’d exact an unloving wrath reminiscent of their former king?

Whatever the reasons were, there’s still no excuse for not sending some sort of advance notice to Twilight regarding your situation. Speaking of that, you’re incredibly fortunate you could give her the baby at the castle with no advance warning. If she wasn’t home, what was your big plan then? Carry her with you to an art show where trash is completely indiscernible from treasure? FeathEx her over to me? Or perhaps you’d suck it up and treat it as a day trip with a baby in tow?

Sigh……. Look, I understand you are new to the whole parent business. As far as rookie mistakes go in realizing exactly how much planning you have to make regarding your little ball of squee and awww, this is hardly the worst thing in the world you could have done. You’re certainly not neglectful of her needs, but do make sure you’re not being an inconvenience to others when you think you need to take a day to breathe.

Other than that, I wish you the best in being the fun, but definitely responsible parents Flurry Heart could ever hope for.

Hugs and kisses to you and Flurry,

The Wise, Other Best Aunt Ever

P.S. Thank you for sending over forty jars of mashed peas in the event I do watch Flurry one day in the future, but... does she eat anything else? Also, am I using a hundred packs of diapers for her, or to drain my garden fountains for maintenance?

Actually, I'm just going to use those diapers to build a fort. I'm sure Flurry would appreciate that, but this might be overkill for future notice.

~~~

Dear Twilight,

How could you possibly think that taking on a babysitting job while also volunteering to read for a room of sick children suffering from Horsey Hives was ever a good idea? In the hours you spent over the course of the day, has there not been a single second where you realized exactly how dumb this was?

I get you put yourself in a rock and a hard place shoehorning a baby into that plan, but… really?? Was there no other way to keep her out of that room? You could have her play with Spike for fifteen minutes or something, anything that would keep her away from that contaminated environment! That was so utterly neglectful of Flurry’s safety, I’m stunned Spike didn’t call you out on that.

Cadance and Shining gave you their child to take care of and keep under a watchful eye. This is Child Safety 101 for you, and you’re already failing the class. I’m not sure how you managed to turn things in your head around enough to think all you needed to learn was to make time for her when you needed to learn so much more than that.

However, you’re also new to the whole babysitting job. To some degree, this incredibly irresponsible mistake can be chalked up to a grave error in prioritizing, and you should be thankful Flurry hasn’t developed any symptoms of Horsey Hives at this time. Even so, don’t you dare make this kind of mistake to our darling niece again, or you’re going to find yourself as a new contender for this year’s Spazzy by being Aunt of the Year.

Discord is already a shoe-in for it by turning the Miss Swiss Alps into a sugar-coated choco-mountain of a mess and ruining a humble ski resort in the process. I sincerely hope you don’t do anything to trump this “achievement” of his.

Regards,

Celestia

P.S. I hope if you eventually have children, you will take notes from Applejack when it comes to safety concerns for children. However, you should take most of her advice on that front with a grain of salt... maybe an entire salt shaker. Just be sure that whatever you take from her that sounds sensible, don’t hop the fence and coddle your children either. That’s opening the door to a whole other problem.

Hmm… come to think of it, what would I do to make Flurry’s stay safe in the castle? All of the kitchen muttware need to be good with foals, and now that Sunny and Moony figured out how to make catlery, I need a safe way to sort out the forks and knives. A spray bottle should do the trick there...

Ah, there’s my afternoon slice of cake. Thank you, Ready Maid. I need this today more than most other days.

...Did this plate just growl at me?

NO! Listen up, you pomeranian plate, that cake is mine. I don’t know how you got mixed in with my fine china, but this is not okay!

Look, I don’t like this situation you’re in either, but let’s compromise. I eat the cake, you clean up all the crumbs. Deal? Deal.

PreviousChapters Next