• Published 3rd Mar 2013
  • 2,298 Views, 60 Comments

Diamond Tiara likes Minecraft - SandyShores



Diamond Tiara decides to give a new game called Minecraft a shot and finds it to be fun, but she has to hide it from her best friend or risk becoming a total nerd.

  • ...
1
 60
 2,298

I Have To Be Honest

Sitting in class the next day, Diamond Tiara couldn’t decide what to do. After staying up most the night trying to come up with a plan, she was no closer than she was after her talk with Rarity. She was still afraid that she’d be digging her own grave if she told Silver Spoon herself. She began to fantasize about how different scenarios would play out.

She’d wait until after school to meet up with her friend. “Silver Spoon I need to talk to you.”

“Sure DT what’s up.”

“Well, I need to tell you about why I’ve been lying to you lately.”

“Okay, so what’s that”

“Silver” She’d choke up. “I play been playing that game Minecraft.”

“You’ve been what?!” Her head shook and suddenly Silver Spoon’s head began burst.

“Silver Spoon what have I done!?” She yelled out.

“Diamond Tiara? Diamond Tiara!” Suddenly miss Cherilee brought Diamond Tiara back from her fear-induced nightmare. “Would you mind answering number four on the homework for us?” Cherilee tested to see whether Diamond Tiara was paying attention.

Diamond Tiara, back to reality, shouted out what she hoped would be a lucky guess. “Uhm I got Seven?”

“The answer you got for ‘What is the proper purpose of an adjective?’ is seven?” The class laughed at her inability to focus. “Settle down class, and Diamond Tiara do make sure to pay more attention.”




After class finally ended Diamond Tiara made her way over to Silver Spoon.
“Hey Silver I need to talk to you.”

“Sure DT, anything you need.”

“Well I…umm... it’s just…nothing, forget about it.” She couldn’t do it, she was too afraid to tell her. “I have to go home, daddy needs my help with something.”

“Okay well I guess I see you later.” Silver Spoon looked at the ground clearly disappointed with herself for some reason, which Diamond Tiara never caught.

Diamond Tiara turned to walk away and saw an approaching Sweetie Belle and Rarity, who was carrying the laptop she forgot yesterday.

“Hi, Diamond you forgot your laptop at my house yesterday, my sister wanted to make sure it go to back to you.”

“Thanks.” Diamond Tiara had mostly forgotten about her computer and was too focused on her ever-weakening situation.

“Do you wanna come over again and play?” Sweetie Belle excitingly asked.

“I…uh can’t…I’m busy”

“Okay then some other time.”

Rarity noticed it was clear Diamond Tiara hadn’t told Silver Spoon about her secret. She then looked at the pink filly, and with her head nodded over to Silver Spoon.

“I didn’t, I just couldn’t.” She told Rarity.

Rarity gave a look which specifically asked ‘why not?’

“I can’t” Diamond looked at the ground disappointed in herself.

Rarity gave up, she had to do something herself. She walked Diamond Tiara over to Silver Spoon “Silver Spoon I believe Diamond Tiara has something she needs to tell you. Go ahead Diamond.” She pushed the filly.

“I uhm.. I… I…I like Minecraft okay, there I said it I love that game, it’s just so much fun. You can do a million things and build everything you want. I’m sorry Silver but I had to tell you.” She nervously awaited a response from the confused grey filly.

“You like Minecraft, really? I thought you’d hate it.”

“Well I actually love it, its so much fun.”

“You mean I’ve been keeping this a secret from you all this time for no reason?”

“What are you talking about?”

“Diamond I love that game too, I started playing it on Saturday and I feel in love with it, but I was afraid to tell you, cause I thought you’d call me a nerd. So I began making up ridiculous lies”

“That’s crazy where would you ever get that idea?”

Rarity rolled her eyes.

“So if we both like the game why don’t you come over to my house and we can play it?” Silver asked.

“Sure that sound like a great idea, I already have my laptop, it’s gonna be so much fun. I can show you all the things that Sweetie Bel..” Suddenly Diamond remembered Sweetie Belle, sure they weren’t as close as she was with Silver Spoon, but she thought of Sweetie Belle as a friend now.

“Actually Silver why don’t you go grab your laptop and meet me over a Sweetie Belle’s place. She could teach you a thing or two, besides you have to see her ‘weak ass’ machine that’s more powerful than both our laptops combined.”



The End.

Comments ( 11 )

arch.413chan.net/diamond_tiara_hate_scrunch_of_victory-(n1345871249199).png

Incase that pic somehow failed to make it clear, I enjoyed this story :twilightsmile:

Now let's see DT and SS play some Tekkit or Voltz against the Crusaders :D

Already over:unsuresweetie::ajsleepy::fluttercry::fluttershyouch::pinkiecrazy::raritydespair::pinkiesad2:

2235478 I'm thrilled you enjoyed it, seeing as I was highly influenced off of your story

2235496 Sorry there wasn't too much more to add without it getting boring, but i'm glad to see you liked it. I'm currently working on something much more ambitious right now, and i'll defiantly keep writing stories like this.

Enjoyable, but it was a bit anti-climactic. Still worth reading though.

Over already? That was fast. I think the story might have been a bit better if it was longer, slower-paced, and had a bit more detail. Still great though! :pinkiehappy: (Also, make a fic about Diamond Tiara plays Terraria :rainbowwild:)

Other than the non-canon personalities shown in this story, it's pretty fun. As far as dialogue and grammar goes however, there are a few things that could use improvement, such as proper punctuation and better sentence flow. Looking forward to seeing more stories from you.

Ah, Minecraft, the world-building game of infinite exploration and imagination that my computer's too slow to run. Glad to see someone's able to play it.

Our premise seems straightforward. Diamond gets invited by Sweetie Belle to play Minecraft. She loves it but thinks its too nerdy to let Silver Spoon know. Rarity ends up telling the truth for her. Silver Spoon likes it too. The message from this story is excellent: don't be afraid to share your interests with your friends. As I recall, that was the lesson from the story that inspired you, DT Likes Anime.

Diamond not wanting to tell Silver Spoon about liking Minecraft is really the only source of conflict in this story, which means it needs to be a strong driving force to push the story forward. Diamond's talk with Rarity, her talk with her dad, her second dream sequence, and her internal monologue are the key moments that bring this conflict to light. Silver herself never actually gives us a reason to believe Diamond's fears are well-founded. Filthy Rich seems to care more about her daughter being a nerd than she does. Something this story could have used was a moment that suggested Silver actually would stop being Diamond's friend if she found out, even if it was just Diamond overreacting to something minor Silver said.

You had two other plot points that could have served as conflict, but never went anywhere. The first was Diamond's obsession with the game. I think if you really took that conflict, you could have expanded it and really given this story its own flavor. The first night Diamond played it, she stayed up until 1:30. She fell asleep in class, she couldn't stop thinking about the game, and she even dreamed about it. All the signs of obsession were there, but then they all seemed to fade away in the presence of the main conflict. I think you could have really ramped up the humor by having her obsession with the game grow throughout the story. Since we're in a technological Equestria, there's so much ground to be covered in the realm of video game obsession. She could adopt a diet of nothing but junk food, lose interest in personal hygiene, start seeing the real world as Minecraft, etc. etc. As her obsession grew, she would become more and more reluctant to let Silver know the truth, and it would become more and more apparent that something was wrong to Silver as Diamond started coming to school with cheese dust in her tattered mane.

The second plot point was Diamond's friendship with Sweetie. This one seemed like it might be an issue at first, but all it really amounted to Diamond thinking "I'm really friends with Sweetie Belle? Oh well. I guess I am." If this story was meant to be a sequel to DT Likes Anime, I suppose that's a bit more justified since that story already covered all that. Otherwise, I think the bare minimum that needed to be established was why Sweetie was on such friendly terms with her at the very beginning. Diamond offered no objections to Sweetie's friendship, not even in public, which suggests to me that there's more behind this side of the story than there appears to be.

The thing that bothered me the most about the main conflict was the resolution. It was resolved by a third party. This is Diamond Tiara's story. What does it say about her character when she can't even solve her own problems? It's one thing to get advice, but to actually be dragged over and forced to resolve the issue seems a bit weak. I think you could have made it work if you played it for laughs. Something like a "Oh for goodness sake, SILVER SPOON, DIAMOND LIKES MINECRAFT!" sort of thing, but I'm afraid it doesn't work as well played straight. When a character gets their kite stuck in a tree, we don't want them resolving it by asking their friend's sister to come get it down for them. We want them to construct a complicated and dangerous trampoline to attempt to get it down only to inadvertently succeed. Surprise is the true nature of comedy. If you can find a clever way to spit on people's expectations, you'll have a great comedy on your hands.

You're going to have a hard time convincing me that Diamond doesn't know what a mall is in this modern Equestria, and I'm not sure why she wouldn't know what a carrot stand is after already asking what a grocery stand is, but her characterization wasn't terrible. I've seen stories where she is nothing like herself, and I could see the resemblance in yours. I do think she's a bit overly confused here. If she's worried that Silver will stop being her friend if she finds out, I don't know why she'd be afraid that her head would explode.

Grammar and sentence structure could use some work. You have a few extra words here and there, but I was able to understand everything. This story didn't have any real surprises, but I think it's a fine addition to the Diamond Cutter folder. It's an innocent and harmless tale about a very real problem that happens to everyone. I'd call it a cornbread muffin. All it needs is a little jam to sweeten it up a bit. Make the most!

Wait, Rarity places Skyrim? This armour is unfashionable! Dirt, blood, muuuuuuuud! What is tis monstrosity of an animal! "That's a Mammoth." said Sweetie Belle. "Do be a dear and get me some fabric o make this- Mammoth , a dress." Rarity replied poshly. :raritydespair::unsuresweetie:

Just wait till she discovers *insert popular game here*!

Login or register to comment