• Published 12th Feb 2013
  • 2,684 Views, 35 Comments

Like a Cupcake Without the Frosting and Other Twinkie Tales - Fission



Pinkie Pie has been acting strange lately, even for her standards. Twilight grapples with her fears that Pinkie may be preparing to leave her, or is it something else entirely?

  • ...
11
 35
 2,684

The Very Best Pie

The kitchen of Sugarcube Corner looked like it had been through a hurricane. Various confections and fruits were strewn throughout the interior, and the atmosphere was palpably frantic. Though this was nothing new for Pinkie Pie, it somewhat shocked Twilight Sparkle, who had never borne witness to what amounted to an average day’s work in the bakery. Despite the apparent maelstrom, the baker was actually sitting somewhat pensively in the middle of the floor.

“How about banana cream? Maybe coconut cream?” she asked, not actually waiting for Twilight’s answer, “Hmm, actually, I think something more fruity would be good. Tell me, Twilight, how does a nice lemon meringue sound to you?”

“Lemon meringue sounds delicious, actually. Can you tell me again why finding the perfect filling for this pie is quite so important? You’ve spent the last thirty minutes deliberating on it.”

Pinkie Pie scurried back to work, searching for the requisite ingredients for the lemon meringue filling. “Everything needs to be perfect, Twilight!” she asserted, peeling the skin from a lemon, “This is going to be my magnum opie. Everypony knows that the most important part of any pie is the filling, so we need to pick out the perfect filling for the perfect pie!”

She cautiously took a taste of the filing she was preparing. “Lemon meringue! What was I thinking? What we need is a key lime pie!”

“Pinkie, couldn’t you just make more than one pie? That way you can make several different flavors without worrying so much about what particular filling to use.”

Pinkie Pie eyed her sternly before replying, “You have good ideas, Sparkle. I like that,” she said gruffly, “what do you say you come over to my place for some coffee after we finish baking this pie, sweet thing?”

Twilight chuckled and opened her mouth to reply before she was interrupted.

“Oh wait, we’re already in my place! We can’t go to my place if we’re already here,” Pinkie giggled, her voice returning to normal. “Well, I guess it would work if we left first, and went on a walk or something. And you know, we’re not technically in my place; it’s really the Cake’s place since they own Sugarcube Corner. I guess my place would just be my own room, and we’re in the kitchen so—”

“Well, yes Pinkie, I suppose that’s true. However, regardless of whatever technicalities we may decide to acknowledge, I would love to get some coffee with you afterwards.” She nuzzled close to Pinkie. “Of course, you still haven’t told me why it’s so important just to make one pie.”

“Twilight, you know what day it is, right? Of course we have to make one super delicious pie instead of a bunch of normal-delicious ones. That’s the only way to honor the holiday!”

Twilight thought to herself for a moment. “Oh, I forgot that today was pi day! I guess I see what you mean now. Though it’s a bit silly to ‘honor’ pi, it is a very important and fundamental constant.” She sniffed at the air briefly. “Hey, Pinkie, do you smell something burning?”

Pinkie furrowed her brows for an instant, thinking, before gasping. “The crust! We put it in the oven before we started talking about the filling! It’s only supposed to cook for ten minutes, and now it’s cooked for like…three pie-crust-baking-times!” she wailed.

“Well, four, actually,” corrected Twilight, looking at the clock.

Pinkie Pie was not listening. She was racing towards the oven making sure that the crust had not yet caught on fire. She threw open the oven door and retrieved the pie tin within.

“How are we supposed to make the best pie ever now?” she whimpered, looking at the blackened mess in her hooves. Tears formed at the corners of her eyes as she continued, “This was supposed to be the perfect pi day.”

Twilight sat down beside her and placed a hoof around her shoulder. “Pinkie, I know how much this meant to you. Would it be any better if I helped you make a new pie?”

Pinkie nodded and quietly mumbled, “mhmm.”

Twilight squeezed her tight and kissed her right on the tip of her nose. “You know, as far as I’m concerned, I already have the very best pie in the world right here.”

Author's Note:

Written for prompt #288: The most important pie in Equestria.

Hey everyone! My sensors are indicating that, despite the lack of writing recently, I am indeed alive. Also, pi day flashfic. Hooray for math!

Comments ( 8 )

Heheh... This pleases me. :rainbowkiss:

Most of all though, was that last line. I liked this one-shot. Speaking of the holiday, my school actually did celebrate Pi Day with a speaker coming in with a presentation. At the begginging, he said, word for word, "Math is fun, guys... *Laugh* Sorry, they told us to say that." ...Yeah, small town. :rainbowlaugh:

Happy Pi day to you as well dear
Ciao darling :raritywink:

2268141>>2268171 Glad that both of you enjoyed the story. Little did you know, I'm actually a mathematician/scientist at heart, so I got a special sort of delight out of getting a prompt that would allow me to combine two of my favorite pi[e]s in one pun.

Congratulations, this story has good enough grammar to be included in the Good Grammar Directory, a comprehensive list of gramatically-correct stories on Fimfiction. :eeyup:

I love Twinkie Pie, so the fact that this story... well, group of stories is fairly unknown saddens me. Keep calm and write on!:pinkiehappy::twilightsmile:

A like and a track.
Also, Pinkie Pie is best pie.

Login or register to comment