• Published 12th Feb 2013
  • 2,683 Views, 35 Comments

Like a Cupcake Without the Frosting and Other Twinkie Tales - Fission



Pinkie Pie has been acting strange lately, even for her standards. Twilight grapples with her fears that Pinkie may be preparing to leave her, or is it something else entirely?

  • ...
11
 35
 2,683

Like a Cupcake Without the Frosting

Pinkie Pie had been acting strange lately, and not her typical brand of strangeness. She had been quiet, even taciturn by her standards, as of late.

On any normal occasion, Twilight Sparkle would have had no difficulty getting the baker to tell her all about her day. Pinkie Pie was normally all too happy to oblige, often recounting the day’s events before her marefriend had even inquired. Not recently, though. Things had just been…odd, and Pinkie Pie had been unusually tight-lipped.

Beyond this, Pinkie Pie had taken to inexplicably vanishing for hours at a time. Usually, it was all too easy to find her, as she would either be at Sugarcube Corner, the Library, or gabbing away to somepony on the street. During these disappearances, nopony that Twilight asked had seen Pinkie lately, and her own best efforts hadn’t gotten her much further, as Pinkie just didn’t seem to be anywhere she looked.

Of course, Pinkie Pie did not seem to be too keen on telling Twilight where she spent her afternoons, either. Whenever she was questioned, the responses were always cryptic, and usually involved preparing for “a great party on the horizon”. Pinkie Pie would be Pinkie Pie, of course, but Twilight couldn’t remember any sort of time where she had been this focused for such a long period of time. Frankly, it was a bit unsettling.

What, exactly, was going on? None of the other girls seemed to be worried. Every time that Twilight would bring the subject up, they would simply reference the fact that Pinkie Pie’s actions very rarely made sense in the first place.

But nopony knew Pinkie as well as Twilight. Though her friends’ reasoning wasn’t terrible, it overlooked an important fact. Pinkie’s actions indeed did make sense, but merely on a system of logic slightly skewed with the norm. However, no matter how she examined the evidence, Twilight couldn’t discover the solution.

Perhaps it had to do with their relationship. If there was one thing that Twilight was not well-versed in, it was definitely the matters of love. That could possibly explain why no sort of explanation had sprung to mind. Matters of romance were simply not second nature to Twilight, like most other disciplines. It wasn’t like doing a bit of research would hurt, anyway.

And researched she had. She had read all of the books before, when she had first asked Pinkie Pie on a date, so at least they were somewhat familiar. But now, she focused on different sections then before, hoping to derive something, anything that could help her discover what was going on.

The books were able to provide much more information pertinent to the situation than when she had consulted them before. However, the results weren’t particularly encouraging. Long stretches of absence, vague excuses, lack of communication; all are signs of a relationship that is likely deteriorating, whether due to infidelity, or simply lack of interest.

Alright, Twilight, just calm yourself down. Logic got you this far, don’t jump to conclusions now. Could their relationship really be deteriorating? She certainly still cared for Pinkie Pie, and at least she had enjoyed the time they had spent together recently. Maybe it’s possible, but I can’t understand why. Thankfully, she could at least rule out infidelity—despite the fact that Pinkie Pie was capable of many things that didn’t seem possible, Twilight knew that she absolutely would not be able to conceal something of that nature.

However, a loss of interest was not so easy a possibility to dismiss. Sure, Twilight still loved Pinkie, and she enjoyed her marefriend’s presence as much as always, she could not read Pinkie’s mind.

In fact, the more she thought about it, the more likely it seemed that Pinkie simply did not feel the same spark as before. Though Pinkie did not make a habit of conforming to social norms, this was about the only explanation that fit in the slightest.

Does she still want to be with me? Is she…is she going to leave me?

The door opened behind Twilight. She twisted her head around to see Pinkie entering. Come to think of it, it was one of very few occasions Twilight had witnessed her simply walking through the door. Maybe it was just Twilight, but the baker looked unsettled.

“Hey, Twilight, could we, uh, take a walk? I kinda need to talk to you about something.”
No. Not those words. Those are not the words I want to hear right now. No, I don’t want to have ‘a talk’. “Of course, Pinkie, that sounds fine with me.”

Her hooves dragged slightly as Pinkie led her forward. They stopped at the edge of Ponyville, and the floodgates opened.

“Pinkie Pie, please don’t break up with me! I don’t know what I did, but I can do it better. You know how good I am at figuring things out.” Tears streamed down her face as she babbled, barely comprehensible, “Just let me figure this out. I promise that I can be a better marefriend than this. You just need to give me a chance.”

“What?” recoiled Pinkie Pie, genuine shock showing on her face. “I love you. Why would I want to break up with you, silly filly?”

“I knew you were going to. That’s what all the books said you were going to do. And then the ‘let’s take a walk. I need to talk to you about something.’ I mean, how could you be any more obvious than that? You weren’t spending any time—”

Pinkie gently put a hoof to her marefriend’s lips, shushing her. “It’s okay Twilight, just give your auntie Pinkie Pie a chance to explain everything. I Pinkie promise that it’s going to make sense. I just need you to try to turn that frown upside-down for me. Please?”

Twilight sniffled. “I…I guess so, if you’re really not going to break up with me.”

“That’s better.” Pinkie pulled her into a tight hug. “Now just let me explain. Twilight, right after we met, when I said you were the cutest, smartest, all around best pony, I wasn’t kidding. Without you, I would be like a cupcake without the frosting, and you know how much I hate those!”

Twilight smiled at this. Perhaps trying to cut down on Pinkie’s sugar intake had not been her best idea.

“You know, being your marefriend is super fun. But that on its own doesn’t mean that we’re going to be together forever and ever. So I asked myself ‘Pinkie Pie, you don’t want to be a cupcake without frosting, right?’ And of course, I didn’t. So I kept wondering what I could do about that. I mean, that’s the kind of thing you don’t ever want to happen. It’s why we keep extra frosting in the basement at Sugarcube Corner, just in case we ever run out.

“So I wondered what my extra frosting could be. I think you might call it a failsafe or something. And eventually I thought of something. Maybe I spent a little too long away from you picking them out, and I’m sorry about that.”

Twilight felt one hoof leave her back. “Pinkie, what are you talking about? What are you doing?”
“Twilight, this is what I’ve been doing for the last month. I’m sorry I couldn’t tell you, but I just couldn’t ruin the surprise.” She pulled away from the hug, revealing a small black box in her hooves.

“Pinkie, is that what—”

“Twilight Sparkle,” Pinkie Pie began with a giddy grin on her face, “Will you make me the happiest mare in Equestria?” She opened the box, revealing two jeweled bracelets, one purple and one pink.

“No, Pinkie. You already made me the happiest mare in Equestria. It’s physically impossible for two mares to both be the happiest—”

Suddenly Pinkie Pie was upon her, pushing her onto her back, kissing her feverishly. Instead of pausing for the occasional breath, as Twilight did, Pinkie spoke feverishly whenever her mouth was unoccupied, “TwilightImsosorryIcantbelieveIletyouthinkthatIwasgoingtobreakupwithyouIloveyousomuch”

Twilight pulled away for a moment to catch her breath, giving Pinkie a knowing smirk as she looked her straight in the eyes. “What? Did you think that I was worried or something?”

Author's Note:

So that's the title story. Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoyed it. The rest of the chapters also stand on their own, in case you weren't sure, and I hope that you read them as well. If you're interested in giving me some feedback, go ahead and leave a comment or pm me if you desire, I try to respond to each one. Hopefully I'll be adding to this compilation at a somewhat reasonable rate, but I'm not entirely sure about that. My mental resources have been focused on managing both school and a new girlfriend, so I haven't really had much free time to write (or to sleep, for that matter) so we'll see how often I'll be writing Twinkie.