• Published 12th Feb 2013
  • 2,685 Views, 35 Comments

Like a Cupcake Without the Frosting and Other Twinkie Tales - Fission



Pinkie Pie has been acting strange lately, even for her standards. Twilight grapples with her fears that Pinkie may be preparing to leave her, or is it something else entirely?

  • ...
11
 35
 2,685

The Proof is in the Pudding

“Pinkie, have you been up to something lately?”

“Of course I’m up to something, Twilight! I’m up to talking to you! I thought you would know that already,” replied Pinkie perkily.

“No Pinkie, not like that. There have been some shady things going on, and, well, as much as I trust you and the rest of the girls, I’m not sure these could point to anyone other than you.”

“What sort of things have been going on?” asked Pinkie Pie, furrowing her brow.

“Well, just the other day someone held up Bon-Bon’s candy shop. If I’m remembering right, I think she told me that they said ‘Give me all the sugar before you make me point my party cannon at your precious little store!’”

“Wow! Somepony else owns a party cannon? I thought it would be cool if I had the only one.”

“Pinkie, it was you, wasn’t it?” Twilight asked flatly.

“Oh, yeah, it was me. I don’t think that anypony else likes sugar enough to do that!” You’re such a good detective, Twilight.

“Okay, so that was you,” Twilight confirmed. Pinkie simply nodded. “And I’m guessing the frosting graffiti on the town hall ‘Cupcakes rule, muffins drool’ was you, too.

“Yep.”

“And when Miss Cheerilee’s office was filled with beach balls…”

“I exhausted my whole supply on that one. Now who knows what will happen if we have a ball emergency!?”

Twilight eyed her curiously, looking for something more. “Okay…Is there any particular reason why you would decide to hold up a candy store, deface public property, and pull a prank on Ponyville’s only elementary school teacher?”

“Well, originally I was only going to do the candy shop, but you weren’t quite as good of a detective as I thought, so I had to keep going for a while.”

Twilight looked at her friend, puzzled. “So are you saying the only reason that you kept going is because nopony caught you?”

“Well, kind of,” Pinkie Pie admitted. “I remembered the last time that there was a mystery, and how much of a super awesome detective you were then.”

“So then…you wanted to get caught?

“Sorta, but only if it was you! I was just thinking about how much fun I had last time when you were researching my Pinkie sense, when you were following me around everywhere. Then you took me down into your basement, and—well, I thought it might be going somewhere else—but it was still a lot of fun. It made me feel like I was a really awesome pony when you were investigating me; like you thought I was special.”

“Pinkie, are you really saying—“

Pinkie leaned over towards Twilight and softly kissed her on the cheek, drawing a visible blush from the purple mare. “Yes, I am.”

She continued, “After you started believing in my Pinkie sense, that’s when I overheard Rarity and Dashie talking about your crush on me. I thought maybe if I made you start investigating me again, you might figure out on your own that I liked you too, but, like I said, you’re just a liiiiiitle bit worse at being a detective than I thought.” She grinned softly.

“Well, I think you’re the one who’s really the detective here. You have me figured out perfectly, and that’s just the way I hoped things would be.

“So, what should we do now? I vote for baking cupcakes!”

“Well,” Twlight chuckled. “Cupcakes do sound nice, but I don’t think I can let you off for your crimes that easily. I think maybe we should go apologize to Bon-Bon and Cheerilee, first.”

“Oh yeah, maybe I can get my some of my balls back from the schoolhouse. You know, nopony else seems to take the threat of a ball emergency seriously…”

Author's Note:

Written for Prompt #227: Pinkie Pie is the villain.