• Published 14th Dec 2012
  • 2,362 Views, 42 Comments

Shadowed Past, Twilit Future - Tatsurou



A "Harmony of Chaos" side story. Two former heroes find a way out of loneliness through each other, only to face harder trials as their future builds.

  • ...
9
 42
 2,362

Epilogue: Later Days

Epilogue: Later Days

"Maria! What do you think you're doing?"

Maria jumped, the book she was holding falling out of her telekinises. "Mom! I was just-" She paused. How was she supposed to explain this?

Twilight levitated the book over to her. "Maria...why are you reading my diary?"

Maria blushed. "I...needed some answers..."

Twilight blinked. "You could have just asked me."

"...I didn't want to worry you..."

Now Twilight was concerned. "Worry me about what?"

Maria sighed sadly. "I wanted to know...how you dealt with...ascension."

Twilight sat down. "Maria, why would you want to know-"

Maria dispelled the illusion hiding her wings.

Twilight stared. "Wha-when-how?"

"They came in after I used the Element of Life," Maria said quietly. "I...kinda knew that this meant I was immortal now, and...I wasn't sure how to deal with it. We were all struggling with what had happened, and...I didn't want to add another worry to your plate. ...so I hid them."

Twilight lay down. She understood the logic. "I...see." She chuckled. "You are my daughter, after all. That sounds like something I would have done." She put the book aside. "Did you get the answers you were looking for?"

Maria nodded. "Yeah...you found your balance with immortality by having someone to be with you forever. Not sure if I'll find that, though..."

Outside, a familiar draconic voice suddenly broke into rather timely serenade.

"The most beautiful sound I ever heard
All the beautiful sounds in the world in a single word
Maria
I just met a girl named Maria
And suddenly that name
Will never be the same
To me..."

Maria blushed. "Jemedaiah!" she shouted out the window. "Don't you dare sing that next verse!" As the dragicorn fled grinning, Maria turned back to her mother, still blushing. "Colts," she said, rolling her eyes, as if that explained everything.

Twilight chuckled as she hid her knowing smile. "And what about Stardust? How is he handling this?"

"Well, Dad was right about him inheriting the Black Arms DNA that makes him immortal," she replied. "He's known about it since he was born."

Twilight blinked. "He's never talked about it."

Maria shrugged. "He thinks deep thoughts. He's already trying to cultivate a forever relationship." She grinned. "The other day, I caught him 'double-bucking' with Screwball."

Twilight blushed. "I raised him better than that!" she said, shocked.

Maria grinned. "Well, he'll get his just deserts. Aurora keeps trying to put the moves on him."

Twilight blinked, then shook her head. "I hope he doesn't lead her along. If he's determined to only be with another immortal-"

"Mom," Maria interrupted. "Aurora is able to use Chaos Heal on herself...but every time she does, it gives her a headache..." she tapped the base of her horn with a hoof "...right here."

Twilight's eyes widened...and then she giggled. "Oh boy. Stardust is not in for a happy time."

"Or a very happy time, depending on your point of view."

"MARIA!"

Maria laughed at her mother's discomfiture.

Twilight glared. "Oh, you!" She seized her daughter and proceeded to tickle her mercilessly.

----------------

Snap Lock wandered the castle idly, not really heading anywhere in particular. His father had trained him with all his mercenary skills, and his mother had trained him in business and the rewards of hard work. However, as much as he loved his Mom, farm life didn't seem the thing for him. Besides, his new little sister, Apple Schnapps, was trying to buck apples before she'd even started to talk. Snap wondered if maybe his destiny lay elsewhere.

He paused as he saw a flash of pink around the corner of a pillar. He grinned as a familiar scent touched his nostrils. "Can I help you two?" he asked.

Cherry Blossom stuck her head out. "Oh, hello Snap," she said quietly. "I didn't see you there." She smiled. "I'm...actually a bit lost."

Snap walked up. "Well, I know my way around mostly, I could show you the way back."

Cherry flushed. "A-actually, I wanted to explore, but...I had no idea the castle was so...BIG..."

Snap smiled. "In that case, how about we explore together?"

Cherry smiled. "I'd like that."

As they walked together past a mirror, Lotus Blossom looked at Snap from the mirror...and winked, grinning.

----------------

Discord curled around Celestia, perking his ears up at the sound of laughter throughout the castle. "It's good to hear laughter in the palace again."

"Yes," Celestia said, leaning into Discord. "It's nice to have a time of peace after all that chaos...and to know you don't have to use it to enjoy yourself."

Discord coughed. "Speaking of, Celestia, I did use a LITTLE bit of chaos recently."

Celestia gazed at him flat eyes. "Why?"

"To get you a present, of course!"

"A present?" Celestia eyed Discord somewhat warily. "Anything like the last one?"

"Celestia, I promise you, this one won't try to eat your brains."

"Alright...what is it?"

Discord grinned. "Guess."

Celestia smirked. "Discord, given it's you, for all I know it could be anything from a portable black hole to a "Best of Barry Manilow" CD. Could you give me some hints?"

Discord chuckled. "Alright Celestia. It's very small, and won't be here for some time. It will give you headaches & nausea, make you irritable, put you through all sorts of heartache and pain...but it's something you've wanted for a long time, and once its here nothing could compel you to give it up."

Celestia blinked. "I can't for the life of me make sense of that clue. Can't you make sense for once, Discord?"

Discord blinked. "But Tiaaa...where's the fun in making sense?"

Celestia sighed. "Can't you just tell me?"

Discord thought for a time. "Hmmm...nope. It's too much fun watching you struggle. However," he plopped a few objects in front of her, "I'm sure these will help you figure it out. Until you do, Arivaderci!" With that, he vanished.

Celestia stared at the objects laid out before her: a rubber chicken, a bowl of cherries, and a small box. She tried the box first, but couldn't manage to get it open. The ruber chicken was just that, a perfectly ordinary rubber chicken...one of Pinkie Pie's, if Celestia wasn't mistaken. The cherries also appeared perfectly normal. Daring to try one, she discovered, however, that they had no pits. As she sat in confusion, she heard Luna walk by, singing along to the "iPod" that Ivo had given her. She had recently begun enjoying the works of one 'Alan Sherman'.

"I gave my love a chicken, it had no bones!
I gave my love a cherry, it had no stone..."

Celestia blinked as she stared at the two items she'd examined. A rubber - boneless - chicken, and seedless cherries. Was this the clue?

"I gave my love a baby-"

Celestia gasped, putting a hoof to her abdomen. It was impossible, wasn't it? She'd passed her period of fertility eons ago. ...but he said he'd used his chaos to gie her the gift. Could he have...

"-and then you see
My love got very angry and she said to me
'I didn't mind the chicken without the bones
I didn't mind the cherry without the stone
But when you give a baby, there's just one thing-"

The box suddenly popped open, revealing it's contents.

"'You oughta at least give an engagement ring!'"

As Luna walked off, still singing, Discord appeared at Celestia's side, one hand on her shoulder. "Well Tia," he said, his voice for once completely serious, "what do you say?"

-----------------

Some distance away. Twisty is tinkering with something that has every probability of being dangerous, explosive, and/or fun. She has lost track once more of what she was trying to make, having gotten distracted. She suddenly pauses, and turns to look right at you. She puts a hoof to her lips and blows you a kiss. "Goodnight, everypony!"


The End

Author's Note:

"DOuble bucking" is something I made up. It's supposed to be the Earth Pony equivalent of "playing doctor". I leave it up to your imaginations to come up with how that works.

Comments ( 15 )

LOL The Fourth Wall, it be Oblitir--:twilightsheepish: Oblitur--:twilightsmile: Obblytu-- :twilightangry2: It Broken :facehoof:

1994102
Heh, yeah. Twistie takes after her Mom that way. It's also a bit of an ANimaniacs reference. :twilightblush:

2087525
See "Harmony of Chaos" and "Discordant Melody" on this site in my stories, in that order.

2089161
I take it you're refferring to the second half, right?

an interesting crossover. I felt like it seemed rushed toward the end though. It is good to know that you do get better. 'Whatever it takes, I love you' is perhaps my all time favorite. this was very interesting story and seeing Alicorn twilight after her becoming an alicorn is interesting as well. I see you also wnet into how immortality might effect the mind as well. But the most interesting thing was the fact that Shadow is perfect for her since he is immortal. Never really thought to much about the connection untill she became an alicorn. Over all awsome story but it is nothing compared to the one you are currently doing right now.:rainbowdetermined2:

also interesting how you saw Discord becomming a good guy and then it actually happened a few weeks ago.

2089285
It did become a little rushed at the end, mostly because I ran out of plot but I didn't want to leave it open ended.
Any chance you'll be reading "Harmony of Chaos" and "Discordant Melody" sometime soon? That will give a lot of background to this universe that you're missing.

Yeah, this was written out before that episode.
Now, if you read "Harmony of Chaos", you'll see the real irony about that. Won't spoil it for you, though.

2089570 sure I will read it later tonight.

This was a great side story/sequel to the main story! Now to go read the last in the series!

Discord's timing and proposal is just so perfectly chaotic.:rainbowlaugh:

7908653

I really need to go back and rewatch the show then if I wasn't even able to pick up on that reference :twilightsheepish:

I like how Shadow accurately predicted the series finale.

10701463
Huh?? Sorry, I get confused very easily.

10701491
You asked why Twilight would call Discord "Daddy".

10701493
Oh okay. Thanks. BTW I sent you a friend request.

Login or register to comment