• Published 14th Dec 2012
  • 2,362 Views, 42 Comments

Shadowed Past, Twilit Future - Tatsurou



A "Harmony of Chaos" side story. Two former heroes find a way out of loneliness through each other, only to face harder trials as their future builds.

  • ...
9
 42
 2,362

Nightmares

3. Nightmares

Shadow slowly opened his eyes. He had been staying with Twilight for a couple of weeks now, and he'd adjusted enough to the chaos flow that he could now sleep. He chose to do so, even though it was unnecessarry, because his time here was giving him a great deal to think about, and he needed the time when his mind was quiet to get his thoughts in order.

The adjustment to a unicorn body hadn't been as difficult as he'd thought it would be. Twilight had gently guided him through tapping his chaos powers through his horn. Although not difficult in and of itself, the change in focus took some getting used to. WHile Chaos Control came easily enough, his other three primary chaos techniques - Blast, Spear, and Heal - were more problematic, as he still wasn't used to aiming with his head instead of his hands. Also, all three techniques were more powerful than normal, and he was still getting used to how much control he needed to exert. One particular pegasus had given him some good encouragement after one of his Chaos Spears went off target and blew a hole in the Town Hall.

"Don't worry," Derpy had said happily. "I accidentally break stuff all the time. I just don't know what goes wrong?" She had then proceeded to bump into a cloud, causing a lightning bolt to strike Shadow on the horn. "Oops!" That experience had been painful, but enlightening; the lightning flowing through his horn had given him a better sense of his magical pathways, and he now knew how to better focus the chaos energy in a more controlled manner.

Shelving these thoughts - among others - he glanced out the window and saw it was not yet light. He still had about an hour before the sun rose. He slowly shifted to get up, trying not to make too much noise so as to wake Twilight, when she called out to him.

"Shadow?"

------------

Twilight had been lying awake for some time, lost in her own thoughts. While she was happy that Shadow had chosen to stay with her, she was concerned about him. She could tell that there was a lot to his story that she didn't know, and he seemed...haunted, sometimes. While she could tell that he was happy here, there was something just beneath the surface that she could just barely sense...and in the night, she had heard something that had become the focus of her thoughts. Thus, when she heard Shadow stirring - he always woke before first light to make breakfast - she called out to him. "Shadow?"

He paused in his movements. "I didn't mean to wake you."

"I was already awake," she replied, waiting for a response.

Shadow said nothing for a time. "What's on your mind, Twilight?"

While Twilight had learned quite a bit about friendship, sometimes her old habits got the best of her. "Who's Maria?" she asked without preamble. "You were calling her name in your sleep."

Shadow was silent.

"...Shadow?"

"...it's difficult to explain..."

"How so? Was she your mother? Sister? ...girlfriend?"

"...in a way, she was all of those...and daughter as well."

Twilight paused, trying to make sense of this statement. "...you lost me."

"You remember how I told you I was...created on the Space Colony ARK?"

"Yeah, by Professor Gerald Robotnik. You were supposed to be the Ultmate Liffeform, right?"

"Yes." Shadow was quiet for a time. "Gerald's research into that was funded by the government, who wanted me as a weapon. ...but Professor Gerald wanted to complete his research to help his Granddaughter, Maria. See...Maria was born with an unusually weak immune system. She couldn't cope with even the everyday viruses and bacteria of Mobius. So she lived with her Grandfather aboard the ARK, where the environent was kept completely sterile. ...after I was finished, Professor Gerald placed me with Maria, as friend and companion. I watched over her, and she watched over me."

Shadow sighed deeply. "She's the one who taught me about people, about friendship, about love...when I was with her, I never thought much about the future. The only important thing was the moment. We played games, sang songs, watched the stars or the Earth and Moon...I wanted for nothing. She made my life complete."

Twilight, listening, noticed he spoke of her entirely in the past tense. "W...what happened to her?"

Shadow went very quiet. "...the government found out that Gerald had made me through a deal with an alien race called the Black Arms. He used their genetic code to complete me. When that got out...the government came to shut down the ARK, and confiscate all the research. Gerald told me to get Maria to safety, and we made for the escape pods. I tried to get her into one, but..."

"...Shadow..."

"...she sealed me into the pod alone. She knew that her immune system wasn't strong enough yet to handle Earth, and with the sterile environment contaminated, the ARK was now inviable to her as well. She knew she would die, and her death would be slow and painful. ...so she used what time she had left to try and get me to safety, out of the government's reach. As she started up the eject sequence, the GUN troops came in. ...the last thing I saw of her as my pod ejected was the bullet piercing her heart."

Twilight stifled a gasp, her eyes wide as Shadow recounted his story.

"...when Gerald found out, he went...insane. He became obsessed with vengeance for his granddaughter's death. When he got hold of me, he altered my memories, so that I would carry out the mission and bring about the destruction of the world. ...in the end, Sonic and the others were able to awaken enough of my true memories to stop me. ...unfortunately, the alteration to my memory is not so easily fixed, and most of what I've told you I only know from reading records. My own memories...I only see flashes of them in dreams."

Twilight slowly stood up, barely able to comprehend the pain Shadow's life had been. Walking over to where he lay, she lay her head against his neck, touching his forehead with her horn, doing her best to offer some sort of comfort. They remained there till sunup, and Twilight would never admit to seeing the tears Shadow would never allow himself to shed.

-------------

Two weeks later, Shadow was a little confused by all the activity Twilight was doing. For a species that only wore clothing on special occasions, Twilight seemed to have devoted a great deal of time to her sewing machine lately. "Twilight, what are you up to?"

She smiled at him. "It's Nightmare Night tonight, silly! I'm getting our costumes ready."

Shadow tilted his head. "Nightmare Night?" He had been going through the library to familiarize himself with Equestria's customs, but so far had only made it up to 'M'.

Twilight paused, then smiled. "It's kind of like Halloween from your world."

Shadow tilted his ehad the other way. "I'm afriad I never really...articipated in much of the festivities the others got up to. Perhaps you could explain?"

Twilight nodded. "Sure. You know the story of how Princess Luna became Nightmare Moon?" When Shadow nodded, she continued. "Well, from that the tradition of Nightmare Night developed. The story goes that Nightmare Moon shows up on this night, looking for fillies and colts to eat."

"Really? Celestia allowed something like that to be said about her own sister?"

Twilight chuckled nervously. "I haven't really asked her about that. Anyway, to keep from getting eaten, all the ponies dress up in costumes, so Nightmare Moon won't see any ponies when she comes." At Shadow's snort, Twilight smiled. "Old traditions don't have to make sense, Shadow, to be enjoyed. Anyway, the fillies and colts go door to door, and everyone gives them candy, a good portion of which is left as an offering to Nightmare Moon to placate her hunger."

Shadow lifted an eyebrow. "A rather...unusual origin story for a holiday. Tell me, how does Princess Luna feel about all this?"

Twilight shook her ehad, reminiscing. "At first, she wasn't sure she liked it...but she's gotten really into it in recent years. She always comes by Ponyville to join in the local festivities."

Shadow smiled. "It will be nice to see her again." Then he frowned a little. "So, what are our costumes?"

Twilight smiled. Pulling out a long red cape, she swung it around herself, hiding her entire body, and pulling up a hood over her head. "What do you think?"

Shadow smiled. "Nice Little Red Riding Hood costume."

Twilight tilted her head. "Little Red...oh! Your world must have its own version of Filly Red Running Hood! How interesting!"

Shadow nodded. "So how does the story go here? I can point out the differences."

Twilight smiled. "Well, Filly Red's grandmother lived deep in the Everfree Forest, and she went there once a month to visit her. One time, the Great Dire Wolf-"

"Big Bad Wolf," Shadow said, pointing out the differential.

"-decided to step in. Using his magic, he disguised himself as a handsome stallion and spoke to Filly Red, convincing her he knew a shortcut to her Grandmother's cottage. She trusted him and followed his directions, taking a long way around while he raced ahead. Upon reaching the cottage, he stuffed the still sleeping Grandmother into the closet and cast a quick spell to make himself resemble the grandmother."

Shadow smiled. "But he missed a few details, didn't he?"

Twilight smiled. "Yep, and when Filly Red got there, she started noticing those off points."

"Long ears the better to hear, big eyes the better to see, and sharp teeth the better to eat you with?"

"That's right." Twilight smiled. "Wow, there's not that much difference in the stories, is there?"

Shadow nodded. "So how did Filly Red survive?"

Twilight paused. "Well, there's the thing. I've actually heard four different ways the story could end. The way my parents told it to me, an Earth Pony who was nearby heard Filly Red's screams, and rushed to her rescue, driving off the Great Dire Wolf and saving them both."

Shadow nodded. "In the version from Mobius, it's a lumberjack."

Twilight nodded. "But I'd also heard the story from Celestia. In her version, Filly Red's Grandmother is an old and wise Unicorn, and she breaks out of the closet and uses her magic to get rid of the Great Dire Wolf. The way my old foal sitter, Princess Cadence, told it, Filly Red was a magically gifted unicorn - she'd always say she was just like me - and drove the Wolf off herself, saving her Grandmother in the process."

Shadow nodded. "And the fourth version?"

"Well, that's the one my big brother Shining Armor would tell me. In his version, the Great Dire Wolf was as much a disguise as the handsome stallion, and it was actually Filly Red's grandfather playing a prank. When her Grandmother woke up to Filly Red's screams, she comforted her, and then sent her out to the back garden while she gave her grandfather his 'due punishment'. ...whenever I asked why Filly Red had to leave for that, Shining would say he'd explain when I was older. I wonder if I'm old enough to know, now."

"So what costume did you make for me?" Shadow asked, quickly changing the subject.

"Oh!" Twilight ran over and pulled out a large box. "It's not as good as what Rarity might have made, but it should fit well."

Now eager to get her mind off her absent friends, Shadow immediately pulled on the heavily furred costume and examined himself in the mirror. As the magic in the costume kicked in, reshaping itself to his frame, he saw himself looking not unlike how Sonic did when he went werehog during the Dark Gaia incident...except werepony. "The Great Dire Wolf, I presume?"

"Mmm-hmm!" Twilight was beaming. "Come on, we'd better get ready to hand out candy. The foals will be here soon."

As Twilight raced for the door, Shadow stared after her. Unbidden, an almost familiar memory came to him.

He was aboard the ARK, wearing a white shirt and blue overalls. A foam axe was slung over his shoulder.

"Come on, Shadow!" Maria called out to him, a red hooded cape on over her usual clothes. "It's time to go!" She danced up to a scientist. "Trick or Treat!" she called happily.

As the scientist laughed and gave her a candy bar, Shadow ran after her, laughter bubbling up from inside of him along with Maria.

"Shadow?"

Shadow blinked, noticing Twilight staring at him in concern. He shook his head. "It's nothing," he said. "I was...remembering."

"...good times?"

He nodded. "A happy moment."

"Sorry I interrupted."

He smiled. "It's alright." He walked up to the door as there was nocking. He opened the door.

"Nightmare Night, what a frieght, give us something sweet to bite!" the foals in costume chorused. Happily, Shadow gave them each some candy from the bowl just inside the door. He then followed Twilight out to the festivities.

They played quite a few games and enjoyed themselves. When Princess Luna arrived, she ladeled on the heavy drama, giving nearly everyone quite a fright...but then she was unable to keep a straight face, and laughed along with the grownups.

Shadow was one of the few not taken in by the display. "Should she really be scaring the kids so much?" he asked, concerned.

"It's all part of the festivities, Shadow," Twilight assured him. "Everyone knows it's all in good fun. As Pinkie said my first Nightmare Night in Ponyville, sometimes it's fun to be scared."

Shadow shrugged his shoulders. "If you say so. I wouldn't know."

"Aw, come on, Shadow!" Scootaloo said from nearby. "Haven't you ever been scared?"

Shadow paused, his face darkening. "Once," he said, before walking away from the group towards the lake.

As Scootaloo and the other Crusaders looked after him in confusion, Twilight ran after him. She found him staring into the lake. "...Shadow..."

"...this holiday is...rather enjoyable," he said quietly. "Halloween...Maria loved Halloween so much..." He stared into the still waters, his face a mystery.

"Shadow..." Twilight sat down next to him. Swallowing, she decided the only way to say this was bluntly. Shadow disliked it when she stepped around something. "I've been researching a spell. See, it's not just your mind and body that remembers things...your soul does to. If I get this spell right, I think I can use it to reawaken your true memories from your souls memory. You'll be able to remember everything. No more doubts or fogs, everything with clarity."

Shadow stared up at her. "I know enough magic by now to recognize that magic of that level has to have a catch to it. What is the catch?"

Twilight gulped. "It...it will be everything. Your entire life, every moment in perfect clarity...and I'll have to experience it with you, since I'm casting the spell."

"You mean...the things I've been through...you'll feel them as if they were happening to you?"

Twilight nodded. "Yes. But I'm willing to endure that to give you back every happy moment you've had that's been stolen from you...if you want to try."

Shadow stared at her, silently, for a long time. Finally, he shook his head. "It means a great deal that you would do that, Twilight...but no. I won't put you through that." He sighed. "Besides...bits and pieces of the happy moments are starting to come back on their own. Rather than relive good and bad...I think I'd prefer to focus on making more good ones."

Twilight smiled. "Like tonight?"

Shadow nodded. "Yes. ...speaking of..." His horn glowed and they vanished. As they reappeared behind Princess Luna, Shadow called out, "BOO!"

With a shriek, Luna leaped into the air, clinging to a treebranch. Shadow, Twilight, and everyone around - and Luna as well, once she came down - joined in the laughter.