• Published 6th Nov 2012
  • 15,426 Views, 3,324 Comments

The Abundance - defender2222



Sequel to Faith and Doubt. Twilight must save Equestria from her friends who've become alicorns

  • ...
80
 3,324
 15,426

PreviousChapters Next
The Battle of Winniepeg Part 3

"What have I done? Sweet Jesus, what have I done? Become a thief in the night, become a dog on the run? Have I fallen so far, and is the hour so late, that nothing remains but the cry of my hate?"

-Jean Valjean, Les Misérables


“Ooooohhhh,” Celestia moaned as she darted down the street, struggling to keep up with the infiltration party. Normally it wouldn’t have been a problem, but she still wasn’t used to her now stubby legs and weak muscles, which mean that her gait was about as graceful as a foal’s. There was a crack overhead and the princess let out another pitiful moan.

“Don’t worry, Princess, I am sure Twilight will be ok,” the Doctor said. He chanced a glance up and grimaced. “Errrr… she might be a bit bruised…”

“It’s not that. I know that Twilight will manage perfectly fine and that there is no need to fear for her safety.” She gave the Doctor a cool stare. “She will defeat Rainbow Dash… I have complete faith in her. You should too. Of all the ponies I know, Twilight Sparkle is the one I can always depend on… I made the mistake of not trusting her once and I will spend eternity making up for that mistake.”

“Then why are you moaning?” the Doctor asked.

“Do you know how much it is going to cost to rebuild Winniepeg after this?” Celestia let out a choked sob when Twilight sent several shooting stars at Rainbow, one of the fiery orbs accidentally striking The Daily Equestria Building.

“Buck up… maybe the queens will have to deal with it and it will be repaired by the time you take back your throne.”

“Huh… that would work.”

“Dear big sister…” Luna called out as they raised towards the city limits, “could you perhaps save your whining and penny pinching for when we are not in enemy territory with two alicorns raining death over our heads?”

“…of course,” Celestia said quickly, hurrying after her sister.

~MC~MC~MC~

“I… won’t let… you beat… me!” Rainbow Dash growled, her horn braced against Twilight’s. The two alicorns hovered above the shell-shocked city, their magic spells and tricks with weather forgotten as they focused solely on using their horns like medieval swords. The two of them grit their teeth as they struggled against one another, trying to find a weak point in the other’s defenses and bring their opponent crashing down. “There is… to much… to lose!”

“I was thinking the same thing!” Twilight snapped, her teeth grit as she pressed her forehead against Dash’s. “I am not going to let you win, Dash. I am going to beat you and you are going to pay for everything you did!”

Rainbow slid to her right, managing to unlock her horn. She lashed out with her hoof, socking Twilight in the flank and sending the alicorn of the stars nearly plummeting; it was only a timely adjustment that allowed Twilight to remain in the air and near her former friend. “You just don’t get it, do you? We are saving Equestria! We have brought harmony and happiness to ponies everywhere! You shouldn’t be fighting us, you should be working with us!”

“Work with you?” Twilight snapped in frustration. The fight had left her emotions raw and having heard Dash use this argue several times already, Twilight felt her rage nearing the breaking point. “You think I would want to be any part of this madness? You had destroyed Equestria and all it stood for!” She fired off a blast of magic when Rainbow Dash opened her mouth to protest. “NO!” Twilight boomed, using her magic to amplify her voice to the levels of the Royal Canterlot Dialect. Her eyes flashed and, for good measure, Twilight added in Faith’s personal persuasion spell, which caused her voice to seem like it was coming at Rainbow from all directions. “You will shut up and you will listen to me! I am going to finish and you will not even grunt until I am done, or by the Creator I will wipe you and this travesty you call a country off the face of the planet!

It was a bluff, of course. Twilight held no where near the power to do such a thing, nor would she ever think about committing genocide against Equestria. But Rainbow Dash didn’t know that, especially with both the power of Celestia and Luna’s Royal Voice and Faith’s Persuasion Spell (otherwise lovingly known by its creator as his ‘I AM MONALOGUING!’ voice) burning in every word.

Follow me now,” Twilight snapped, launching herself into the sky. Rainbow Dash, her eyes wide, did the unthinkable: she followed.

The two alicorns rose up, past the clouds, rising higher and higher. The stars hung high above them and twinkled as Twilight approached, like puppies rushing to greet their mother. The lavender alicorn took a moment to look at them and smile before turning her attention back to Rainbow Dash. It was taking all her strength to maintain the Persuasion Spell and if she lost too much focus Rainbow Dash would snap out of it and just come at her again. That simply would not do… Twilight knew this was her only chance to open her friends eyes and get her to see what her and the rest of their friends had done.

The alicorn of the stars removed the Royal Canterlot Voice but kept the persuasion spell at full power. “I want you to look down at Equestria and think. I want you to think long and hard about the country as it is right now.” Twilight’s horn glowed and a bit of cloud was pulled up to join them. “Think about everything you love about it… and I don’t mean what you’ve done and how great it is and everything else you keep telling me. Think back when you were a filly, and everything you loved about being young and living in Equestria. Think about what you did, your favorite hangouts and your friends and what you use to eat for a snack after school.” Twilight’s horn continued to glow and the cloud twisted and turned and fluffed up and slimmed down. Rainbow never looked up, staring intently at her kingdom. “Picture your bedroom in your mind, how it was when you were five years old. Trot through the door and remember what it smelled like... open the closet and look at your toys. Remember what your covers looked like and what stories your mom use to read you when you were tucked in. Remember that all… and look at me.”

Rainbow did as she was told and found herself staring at… herself.

The cloud Twilight had grabbed had been sculpted into a perfect replica of her 5 year old self. The colors were off but still… it was her, made from the fluffy white cloud.

“You are five years old… and you are looking at yourself as you are now… Queen Rainbow Dash… the alicorn who defeated the Wonderbolts… who forces ponies never to get angry and gets mad when they do and punishes them…. the queen who is all about rules and laws and who only wants harmony… the mare who kidnaps fillies and colts and rips them from their parents’ arms… the pony that wants to kill ME, your friend. Look at what you have become and ask yourself… do you really want to be this? Do you really want to be this kind of pony? Is this the pony you wanted to grow up to be? Can you honestly look at yourself and say you are PROUD of what you've become?”

Rainbow trembled, staring at the cloud, staring into the eyes of her younger self. She remembered her hopes and dreams... of what she thought her life would be. She remembered it all. Rainbow Dash began to tremble, unable to look away, pleading with her younger self. “I… we were doing it… save Equestria… make it better… make it safe… we… we…” It sounded like she was repeating a mantra.

Then there was a crack, as if a glass bottle dropped to the ground.

“No!” Rainbow Dash screamed, grabbing her head. “You… you lied to me! You lied to all of us! How… how dare you!” Rainbow let out a cry and Twilight backed away, her eyes wide. This was not the reaction she was expecting. “You told me this was right! You told me you would help us! You used me! You’re using all of us!”

“Dash!”

“GET OUT OF MY HEAD!” Rainbow screamed, punching herself in the face and Twilight realized the rant was not directed at her. “YOU TURNED ME INTO A MONSTER! YOU LIED TO ME!” Twilight was forced to back away and Rainbow pummeled her face viciously. “I'M NOT GOING TO LISTEN ANYMORE! GET OUT OF MY HEAD! GET OUT! GET OUT! GET OUT! GET-“

Rainbow Dash went ramrod, her body tensing as light burst out of her eyes. The cyan mare screamed as she began to shrink down, the energy draining from her body until she was Twilight’s size. The purple alicorn held her friend up, stroking her horn against Rainbow’s, which while smaller remained, then looked at the light as it began to swirl and condense…

“You!” a male voice snapped from the swirling energy. “You made her betray me! Doubt’s little bitch! The destroyer of harmony!” The light twisted and took on the wispy form of an alicorn. “I will have her back… I will take her back, you her me! Rainbow Dash is mine! She is my bearer!”

“I don’t know who you are,” Twilight snarled, “but if you ever try and take her again… I will end you.”

The light said no more, choosing instead to rocket away, leaving Twilight holding her friend with only the coldness of space to keep them company.

“It’s gone,” Rainbow Dash whispered. “The voice… it’s gone…” The mare trembled. “Oh Celestia… how… how could I… I didn’t want this… I didn’t…” And then Rainbow Dash did something Twilight had never thought she would see.

The speedster hugged Twilight and began to cry.

“I’m sorry… I’m sorry Twilight…” Rainbow Dash sobbed, clinging to her like a child would her favorite toy.

“It’s… it’s ok, Dash… it’s ok…” Twilight whispered, tears in her eyes, hugging Rainbow Dash right back. “It’s will be ok.”

~MC~MC~MC~

"I've never.... flown."

Faith and Cadence moaned but still raised their cups to their lips, taking a drink.

The pink alicorn considered her words carefully, tapping her chin. "I've never... been a male."

"Now you are just being petty," Faith complained, taking a drink.

Sweetie Belle stared at the three prisoners, wondering if they had lost their minds. Each was sitting as close as they could to the bars of their cell, a cup of water placed at their hooves, each in various stages of emptiness. Faith's was the lowest, as it was clear that Trixie and Cadence had decided to team up on him. The alicorn's face spoke of his annoyance at this little alliance and he kept casting dark glances in the direction of each mare.

"What are you two doing?" Sweetie Belle complained, marching towards them. The alterations Rarity and her friends had made to the Cutie Mark Crusaders had seen to it that Sweetie had become an utterly lovely mare. Her bouncy mane remained perfectly coiffed and her coat was the brightest of whites, to the point that some compared it to Celestia's (but never to the unicorn's face). Her mind had also been sharpened and like her sister she was always looking at different angles and thinking how she could turn things to an advantage.

She also, thanks to the conditioning, was always looking to see if some act went against the nature of harmony. Seeing two mares and a stallion playing a drinking game went against all the proper rules of etiquette Rarity had drilled into her head made it clear that such behavior was certainly NOT harmonious.

“We are having a drinking game,” Faith said simply. “I would have assumed you would be smart enough to understand that.” He looked down at his cup of water in disgust. “I will admit it loses something without spirits being consumed, but since your mistresses have failed to install a wetbar, we are forced to make due with what we have.” Faith considered his glass and frowned. “Not that any of you would have decent spirits here. I spent a few decades in Griffian and must admit that they are quite superior. I didn't test them myself but the body I was living thought-“

“YOU ARE PLAYING DRINKING GAMES IN CANTERLOT?!?” Sweetie Belle roared.

Faith just stared at her. “Yes… are you deaf as well as stupid?” He smirked, turning towards Trixie. “I have never said a nice thing about Sweetie Belle.” Cadence let out a groan and took a sip, complaining about getting a full bladder. “Let’s see… do you mind if I take another turn?”

“That not how-“

Faith cut Trixie off. “I have never thought Sweetie Belle was intelligent.” Neither mare took a drink. “I have never found Sweetie Belle that interesting.” Again, none of them took a drink. “I have never been a miserable little blank flank that gets off on beating ponies to compensate for the fact that I will NEVER, EVER get my cutie mark-“

“I’LL KILL YOU!” Sweetie Belle roared, slamming her hoof against the lock. The spell charm clicked and the unicorn burst in, fire and rage in her eyes as she sought to ‘give’ Faith more pain.

Much like her sister, Sweetie Belle could be blinded by rage.

The alicorn slammed his head up, head butting the mare, before sliding behind her. Sweetie let out a squawk of protest when Faith actually MOUNTED her, but those protests died when he merely reached around and wrapped the chain that bound his forelegs around her neck and tugged. Faith snarled as he pulled, Sweetie Belle struggling against the assault before she finally fell to the ground, unconscious.

“So quick, Faith,” Trixie said as the alicorn dragged Sweetie Belle over to the blue unicorn’s spell. “No wonder you are single.”

“Do you want out of this cage or not?” Faith asked. Trixie wisely shut her mouth and Faith slammed Sweetie’s hoof against the lock. With a click the door swung open and Trixie happily trotted out. “Stand guard. I am going to free Cadence and then we can see about getting the rest of the prisoners out of here.”

“How did you know she would take the bait?”

Faith smirked. “I'm bloody annoying as hell, my dear Trixie… most ponies want to punch me.” He dragged Sweetie towards Cadence’s cell and repeated the process with her, moving aside so the pink alicorn could walk out. “If we see a guard with a bit of magic in his horn we need to nab him…" he gestured at the magic canceling ring on his horn, "this will go easier when we can levitate Sweetie Belle around.” Faith glanced at Cadence, who was still standing in her cell. “Come along now, darling, chop chop.”

It was only then that Faith noticed the utter terror in Cadence’s eyes. “I… I’m trying…” Her right leg moved a step, then another, but this was no comfort to the pink alicorn. “Something… something is-“

All of Faith’s senses went on high alert. He saw the absolute terror in Cadence’s eyes. He heard Trixie let out a scream. He smelled the dang musty dungeon. He tasted copper in his mouth.

He felt Cadence’s horn pierce his chest.

“Cadence isn’t here right now,” another voice hissed from the pink alicorn’s mouth.

Trixie rushed forward but Cadence, against her will and without moving, knocked her aside with a swing of her right hoof, sending the showmare slamming into a wall, her head throbbing. Faith let out a gasp as Cadence ripped her horn from his chest and silver blood poured out of his body, staining the dungeon floor. There was a burning sensation in his heart… a fire that raced up his throat and into his brain, tinting his vision pink. The abstract trembled, his footing unsure even as Cadence took a step closer. Sweetie Belle was tossed aside, forgotten, as 'Cadence' began to push him towards a wall.

“You are confused… the little thief is so utterly, utterly confused. Who is this that ruins all your plans, controls your little princess and seeks to end your life?” The voice that came from Cadence’s mouth laughed before kissing his cheek, then giving him a quick love bite. “Oh, my dear robber… of all the many sins you committed you fail to remember the pain you brought to me.” ‘Cadence’ took another step forward and Faith through the haze that the pink alicorn’s eyes no longer held tears as this new force took complete control. “You stole everything from me, little burglar… you whine about them forgetting your name but then you turned around and stole my name and my purpose!” ‘Cadence’ pressed her face to his, nuzzling him. Faith let out a gasp as he realized what the voice was speaking of. “That’s right, my little thief… you stole my name… my purpose… but I reclaim them all. And so once more, you may call me… Doubt.”

PreviousChapters Next