• Published 6th Nov 2012
  • 15,424 Views, 3,324 Comments

The Abundance - defender2222



Sequel to Faith and Doubt. Twilight must save Equestria from her friends who've become alicorns

  • ...
80
 3,324
 15,424

PreviousChapters Next
Kindness

"And then we discovered why… why this doctor, who had fought with gods and demons, why he had run away from us and hidden: he was being kind."

-Son of Mine, The Family of Blood


The first thing Twilight noticed was the eyes.

They all stared at her, their irises like fireflies in a dark room. All sound seemed to be pulled away and an oppressive quiet filled the air, which made the looks all the more humbling. Every range of emotion could be seen by those huddled masses that stared at her. Some gazed in wonder like one might do if seeing a fairy or some mystical beast of legend. Others looked upon her like she was a savoir descended from the heavens with a flaming sword. There were a few heated looked, filled with anger and hate; whether they were for her or the situation they all found themselves in Twilight could not say. There were those whose eyes held such sadness that Twilight felt only pity and a desire to make them smile again.

"Welcome to the rebellion," Shining said softly. "I have to talk to some of the other commanders... we need to decide what role you will officially play."

"What role?" Twilight said dumbly.

Shining nodded. "We are going to declare war upon five alicorns, Twilight... like it or not we are forming an army. If I have my way, you'll be our general."

"I don't want to command an army," Twilight stated.

"No one does," a stallion to her right said. "But we don't get to choose our fates, do we now?"

Twilight turned, her eyes widening. "Doctor?" She looked past Doctor Whooves to the mare that sat beside him, staring blankly at the wall. "By Celestia...Derpy?"

Shining shuffled awkwardly. "I'll make an announcement in a bit to let everypony know our next move... why don't you stay here and talk?"

Twilight could only nod absently, her entire world reduced to the sight of the wall-eyed mare that sat on the floor in front of her. Derpy was staring into nothingness, her eyes unfocused and unseeing. Her lips moved but no same came forth; it was like she was trapped in a silent movie where there was no title card. Her right foreleg was held awkwardly against her chest and her left continued to glide back and forth like she was petting some invisible cat.

"Derpy?" Twilight whispered.

"What happened to her?" Spike murmured.

"It happened too quickly," The Doctor said. There was a strange edge to his voice that made Twilight and Spike feel as if they had been struck by a physical blow. "The queens' guards marched into Ponyville and began to grab any pony they could find. We tried to make it to..." The Doctor shut his eyes and slammed his hoof against the ground, causing Twilight and Spike to jump in fright. "They took her, right from her arms... they took Dinky."

Derpy let out a soft, wailing moan. It set the hair on Twilight's neck straight up, though she noticed that no one else was startled by the keening; they'd all grown to use to it.

"Doctor... I am so sorry," Twilight whispered.

The stallion merely gazed at her and though his tone was soft, the storm of emotions he felt at that moment were clearly etched upon his face. "I don't like killing. I have done it and I am good at it but I don't like it. I try to avoid it at all costs because I always hold that there must be another way." His eyes slid down to stare at Derpy's trembling form. “But… but if there is one thing you should not do, if there is one mistake you can make, if there is was flaw in any plan that is sure to make me seek out your blood… it is hurting those I care about.”

He never raised his voice, that was the worst thing… the fury of the Time Lord.

As she turned away Twilight saw that the others were looking at her in much the same way. Any hope she might have held to find those in ranks that sought anything other than the death of the queens was dashed. The rebellion did not see them as Twilight did: her friends that had been corrupted or manipulated or who had lost their way. All these ponies saw were the rulers that had ripped them from their homes, turned their loved ones into puppets and pursued them like hunting dogs.

“Can you blame them?” Spike whispered to her, reading her thoughts.

“No… no, I can’t. But that doesn’t mean I like it.” She closed her eyes for a moment, taking a deep breath. “Let’s just hope I can find a way to fix this… before I am forced to do something I will regret.” Twilight returned her attention to Derpy, taking a hold of the twitch hoof of the traumatized pegasus. “Derpy, I swear I will find your daughter… I will bring her back to you.”

“Twilight, can I talk to you?” Shining called out. The alicorn nodded, saying her goodbyes to the Doctor before she and Spike made their way to where Shining was standing looking over a map. “I’m sorry I put you through that.”

“You didn’t do anything,” Twilight said.

“I kinda did, Twiley,” Shining admitted, gesturing back towards Derpy. “You honestly think I just randomly picked them to be the closest ones to you?”

Twilight’s brow furrowed. “Wait… was this some kind of test?”

“Not a test… a lesson.”

“Shiny… are you trying to make me punch you?”

“Just hear me out, ok? There… there is no way for me to truly understand how horrible this is for you. The closest I can come to understanding is when you snapped during my wedding. I thought I had lost you and I needed to save you… and a part of me was scared that you would do something horrible and I would never be able to look at you and see my little sister again. I was frightened, Twilight, and that is why I reacted so horribly at times.

“But this isn’t the same as that. I mean, I get it Twilight, I really get it. This is so much worse, not only because they are your best friends but because you weren’t here when it all happened. You are just hearing about the bad and getting a glimpse of the things they’ve done but to you they are still your friends and you are going to keep seeing them as such. I can’t fault you for that, sis, I really can’t. You want to save them and you know what? I want you to save them to! I want you to figure out a way to undo all of this and make things better. Nothing would make me happier than seeing that.”

Shining gestured towards the huddle masses that lay before them. “But Twilight… look at all these ponies. Look at them and realize that not everypony feels the same way you do. They have had the worst of it and they can’t see the silver lining. For them the light at the end of the tunnel is a train… and they want to push the queens in front of it.”

“And I am just suppose to accept that?” Twilight said, not realizing that the hideout had grown quiet. Every ear was turned towards the siblings, listening to the conversation. It was clear to them all that something was going down that would affect the course of history and that they were there to bear witness to it.

“Yes. You don’t have to like it and you don’t have to go along with it but you need to accept that there are going to be other ponies that don’t feel the same way.” He gestured at the Doctor and Derpy. “They aren’t the only ones, you know. Take Spitfire.” He waved his hoof at the Wonderbolt. Even without her famous jumpsuit it was easy to recognize the talented flyer. “She had to chose to go back to try and help her teammates or escape. She is haunted by their cries for help. You think she is going to open her hooves to Rainbow Dash?” He pointed towards the back, where a pair of snobby looking unicorns sat. Or, Twilight wagered, they had been snobby; the trappings of high living had left their marks but they were just as ragged and worn down as the rest of the group. “Rarity took everything they owned… including their family. Top Floor there had to fight off his own brother, his best friend, just to escape. Do you honestly think he will be able to look at any of them again without wanting to throttle them?”

“Ok, ok, I get it!” Twilight called out. She turned towards the crowd. “I understand you are all hurting and in pain!” She stood a bit taller, her wings flared out and her gaze turning to steel and ice. “The queens have to be stopped. And I will do all I can to help you stop them.” Her horn glowed, stopping them before they let out a cheer. “But we are not going to blindly murder them. We are not going to hurt any pony if we can help it. We are going to fight to save this country and save it we will, but we are going to do it the right way, the Equestrian way!”

“Why should we?” a pony called out. “The queens aren’t playing by the rules so why should we?” Several other members of the rebellion murmured in agreement.

“We are going to because we have to… because if we don’t, not only will we be as bad as the queens… we will be everything they say about us.” The ponies grumbled at that but Twilight could tell that they were listening. “That doesn’t mean you won’t get your pound of flesh! That doesn’t mean there won’t be blood! But only when needed and only when necessary!” Twilight raised her head up tall and proud, the ponies all around her nodding in agreement. “We are going to take back Equestria and we are going to do it on our terms! The queens say they know harmony! I say they don’t! Harmony is freedom! Harmony is the right to choose your life and your path! Are we going to let them choose? Are we going to let them turn us into something wicked?”

“NO!” the crowd boomed out.

“Are we going to let them win?”

“NO!”

“Are we going to surrender who we are?”

“NO!”

Twilight nodded. “Good. Doctor, Spitfire, Shining… come with me… we have a war to plan.”

"Not yet," Shining said, wrapping a foreleg around her. "I have two ponies that want to see you."

Twilight's eyes widened as she saw just who had been standing behind her during her little speech. "MOM! DAD!"

Her parents laughed as Twilight leapt towards them, grabbing therm both in a huge hug.

~MC~MC~MC~

“Hello, Doubt.”

The silver alicorn frowned as he took in the sight of the new arrival. A blanket and a pillow were sitting on her back, and while they looked fluffy there was nothing comforting about the sight of the bearer.

She was taller than him, to start with. He didn’t much like that; only Celestia had made him feel small since his transformation from Doubt into Faith. The lord of the gray had shrunk from his mighty size to being just a bit bigger than Luna but had still been able to look down at all ponies. But now, this yellow colored alicorn made him feel rather puny, which annoyed him to no end. Her long, pink hair seemed to be forever twisting and sprouting like rose petals and the scent of the woods and life and nature clung to her.

“Queen Fluttershy, ruler of Equestria, Bearer of the Element of Kindness.” Bowing low, the abstract smiling politely. “What brings one of the mighty queens here to grace my presence?”

“I had heard rumors that you were causing mischief, Doubt.” The yellow alicorn stepped toward, her guards flanking her as she did so. “I hope that is not the case.”

“You hope correctly, Queen Fluttershy.” While remaining low, he gestured with one of his wings towards one of the guards. “I entered the library wishing to retrieve a book written by one of my very old friends. In order to avoid any altercations, I allowed these stallions to believe me to be old. They went to get me a pillow and blanket, which you have brought with you.”

“We are smarter than you think, Doubt.”

“I believe you are just a smart as I think,” Faith stated. “Oh, and the name is Faith. It is only polite that you call me by the name I have chosen.”

“Oh, I’m sorry!” Fluttershy said quickly. “I didn’t mean to offend.”

“You have not offended. I merely wished to point out my desire, that is all.”

“Still, I find it not very nice that you lied to my guards.”

“Permission to rise?” Faith asked. The guards moved in and Faith ever so slowly tucked his wings against his sides, mimicking Fluttershy’s own stance. “I will not hurt you… you have my word.”

“The word of a liar-“ one of the guards began to say, only to be shushed by his queen.

“Abstracts cannot lie,” Fluttershy said softly.

“Correct,” Faith said with a smirk.

“But that doesn’t mean they are honest. I’m sorry to say this, Do…Faith… but while you cannot lie you are very skilled at manipulating the truth, to make honest words tell tall tales.”

“No offense taken, Queen Fluttershy,” Faith said with a gentle smile. “You speak the truth. I am quite skilled in twisting the truth to my own means.” His eyes shined darkly, “It is, after all, a family trait.”

If she understood the undercurrent of his statement she did not show it. Instead, Fluttershy merely nibbled on her lip nervously. It was clear that while she was now very powerful, a goddess and immortal, there was still much of her old self in her manners and motives. Polluted, perhaps, or maybe altered to something more extreme… but still, it was there. When Faith looked upon her he felt much like an uncle would when seeing a niece for the first time in years; he remembered how she had been and could see traces of her younger self in this new mare.

“So, you have come here to retrieve a book.” Fluttershy kept her head held high, even though Faith could detect the nervous twitch that showed that she wanted to do nothing more than to hide behind her long pink hair. “I don’t want to offend you but I think you aren’t telling me everything.”

“I’m not,” Faith admitted. “But I suppose you will have plenty of time to try and figure me out.”

“What do you mean?”

Faith held out his hooves. “I surrender to you, Queen Fluttershy… and only you.” When the yellow alicorn blinked in surprise Faith flashed her a smile. “What? You expected some grand battle? A war between the two of us that would tear this city apart? Don’t tell me you assumed that I would begin lobbing balls of magic at your head and you would come charging at me like some warrior-queen of old, wings flared and teeth bared.”

At the slight nods from the guards and their queen his mood soured ever so slightly. “What a deplorable lack of vision. We could easily do all of that but all that would be achieved was the death of one of us and little change. If I die I would be made a martyr for the rebellion… an image to place upon their flags and a name for them to call out in the heat of battle. Should you fall your fellow queens will use your death as a tool to strengthen the resolve to hunt down your enemies and crush them so harmony could prevail.”

“We don’t want to crush anyone,” Fluttershy said. “We merely wish to speak with them, to make them see the glory of harmony and to join with us in friendship.”

“How wonderful! That is the same thing I want to do with you.” He clanked his front hooves together. “Now then… how about some tea? I am in the mood for a cuppa. Or perhaps cocoa? Yes… yes, a nice cocoa with some tiny marshmallows and a few cookies to dunk. That would be the proper thing to serve as we discussed our differences and sought to settle things like the immortals we are.”

“Yes, yes it would,” Fluttershy said sweetly, using her magic to restrain her prisoner.

“Well then… lead the way,” Faith said with a smile.

PreviousChapters Next