• Published 6th Nov 2012
  • 15,413 Views, 3,324 Comments

The Abundance - defender2222



Sequel to Faith and Doubt. Twilight must save Equestria from her friends who've become alicorns

  • ...
80
 3,324
 15,413

PreviousChapters Next
The Plunge

‘The King is dead, long live the king’

-Traditional Proclamation


“War?” Twilight echoed, praying to any being that would listen that she had misheard her brother.

“Yes… war. The celestial sisters verses the elements of harmony.” He shook his head, as if trying to rid himself of the memories. He could still smell the scent of burning ozone as the magical blasts torn through the air. He could hear the sounds of the seven alicorns lashing out at one another. He could taste the marble dust on his tongue as the great strikes destroyed ancient columns. He was there again, watching as beings he could not even hope to rival in power decided the fate of the world.

“Shining?” Twilight whispered. She was struggling to understand all of this, to comprehend how things could have gone so wrong and how the stories her brother spoke of could possibly be true. They didn’t sound right at all and part of Twilight hoped that he was lying and this was some trick he had come up with to get her to come back to Ponyville. Heck, she would take it being some foolish ploy in order to lure her away so he could attempt to drain her powers and make her once more into a unicorn. She entertained that idea for a moment, thinking about how he would use the story as a warning about the dangers of power and why she should give up what she now held.

But one look at his face… one look at those pain-filled eyes and hollow stare and she knew… she knew it was all real. It had all happened and this wasn’t some lie he had come up with.

They both wished it was though.

“We use to wonder what would happen if we had to face you,” Shining spoke. It was hard to tell if he was talking to Twilight or himself. Perhaps he was doing both. “The guard, I mean. After Nightmare Moon there were a few that feared you and your friends. You had defeated an alicorn… one of the most powerful beings we've ever known. You had managed to strike her down and now you held the magical items that could rain destruction upon our heads. Don’t give me that look… you have to realize that some ponies feared you six. You had the legendary elements and there were some that wondered what would happen if you decided to use them for something other than attacking Nightmare Moon.

“Then Discord happened. Only a few of us were privy to the knowledge that your friends had been corrupted by him but it was enough to start the rumors spreading about the kingdom. There were whispers, Twilight… you were already seen as one of the most powerful unicorns to ever be born… and your friends are also some of the most talented. Rainbow Dash pulled of the Rainboom… the Wonderbolts can’t do that yet she did. Applejack is strong and determined and a capable fighter. Pinkie Pie… by the Creator, that mare scares me and I know I am on her good side. Fluttershy has that Stare thing… Celestia never talks about it, even after I asked her, but I get the sense that whatever Fluttershy does it isn’t good. Rarity is cunning and can manipulate well… she’d make a great spy, I think, if she weren't so flashy.

“Take all that and add in the fact that you six wield the elements. Do you understand why we might have been frightened? Why we might have feared you? What if one of you fell? What if you were corrupted?” Shining began to laugh and for a moment Twilight feared he had gone mad. “Didn’t you wonder about how the guards managed to line up so quick to take you on when you invaded the wedding? We had drills, Twiley… friggin’ drills about what we could do if one of you mares decided to go rogue!

“We all wondered… and we all debated and we all thought that we could manage if it happened. After all, we were trained and we were skilled and we were the best fighters in Equestria. How could you have any hope of defeating the Royal Guard?”

Shining laid his head on his pillow, staring at the ceiling as if it held all the answers. “In that throne room during the wedding I saw just how wrong we were. Even before you become an alicorn you wiped us out. You got a cheap shot on Celestia and had me kissing a window. You managed to take down the guard and you were drunk at the time. Still… maybe it was a fluke… maybe you just got lucky.

“But no… your friends’ ascension proved that theory wrong. They came in and they held their own against Celestia and Luna. More than that… they won.” Twilight and Spike gasped but Shining did not stop. “Yeah… they won. They ended up curbstomping the princesses. I think because Celestia and Luna were trying to hold back because they didn’t want to hurt your friends. Of course, maybe they would have lost even if they gave it there all. I… I honestly don’t know.

“I can still see the look in Celestia’s eyes when Rarity blindsided her and jammed her horn in her side. I’ve never seen the princess bleed, Twiley, but I saw it then. By the Creator it was horrible.”

“Shining… what…”

“Shhh…” Shining gave her a sad smile. “I am getting to the worst part.”

~MC~MC~MC~

Celestia struggled to stand up but found her body refused her mental commands. "But... but you are not ready!"

"We are ready enough," Rainbow Dash declared.

Luna shook her head, her muscles caught in spasms. "You have the power but like the training and knowledge! To do what you desire now... it will only lead to pain for our subjects."

Applejack shook her head, standing tall with her friends. "We'll have each other to lean on and our subjects."

"But, uh, don't worry," Fluttershy said with a slight smile, trying to make all of this sound better than it was, "we haven't forgotten about you, princesses."

Rarity beamed in delight. "Princess Celestia and Princess Luna... you have held the burden of power for too long... you were never meant to bear it and thus you are forgiven for your mistakes. For your service to this land and for protecting it till we could arrive, we give you a reward."

The five elements glowed and Celestia and Luna let out cries as they were engulfed in a sea of many colors. When the display faded the crowd found that in place of the princesses there stood two mares: a white one with a pink mane and a blue one with a navy mane. They had no horn nor wings and even the strength of an earth pony could not be found in them.

"We give you the gift of a simple life... you may live your lives in peace, knowing we will protect the realm," Rarity said. "Go live your lives and be happy, safe. Be... harmonious."

Before the princesses could protest Pinkie's horn glowed and they were transported away. The crowd stared in shock is the five bearers moved forward, using their magic to part the throng of ponies and march towards the throne. Fluttershy focused and 4 duplicate thrones appeared next to Celestia's and each of them took a seat.

"So comes the Days of Harmony."

~MC~MC~MC~

"The Days of Harmony... Harmony only if you submitted," Shining said darkly. "The five queens, that's what they are called now, acted swiftly and without mercy. They began to collect ponies and..." Shining shuddered, "they altered them, Twiley. You saw how those guards' coats were overly bright, right?" Twilight nodded dumbly. "That was their work. The Queens get their magical hooks into somepony and they pump them full of their element... it becomes their defining trait.

"They wrap it up in noble words and maybe they really believe it... but there is nothing wonderful about their rule. Harmony can't be forced. Forcing ponies to be happy or help one another isn't harmony... it totalitarianism." The stallion hung his head. "I'll never forget the screams right before they brainwashed them. Stallions and mares would be ranting and raving... and then it was like something was shut off and they just... become fanatics for the cause. And the fillies..." Shining Armor shut his eyes. "God, what they did to those three fillies... their own family! And the foals...."

Twilight felt the tears dripping from her eyes but she found she simply didn't have the strength to wipe them away. The thought of her friends acting in such a way... attacking the princesses and declaring themselves the new rulers of Equestria... it was horrify. And their actions after they had claimed power? It made Twilight feel ill. She wanted to turn tail and run and not stop until the world made sense again.

"They are making armies, Twilight," Shining said softly. "Each of them... I wonder if they are going to wage war against the world. Rarity's troop are in charge of redistribution. Everything goes to everypony and they are marching about towns, capturing the wealthy or the well off and forcing them to covert and give up all they own. Fluttershy's team... I haven't actually seen them but I know they are there. They are the spies and they have eyes everywhere. I've seen alot of ponies talking about how much they hate how things are... then they disappear for a few days before returning as meek little things that praise all. Pinkie Pie's group is just as bad; she's set up court on this farm outside of Ponyville and any pony that isn't 'happy enough' is sent there. I don't know what happens but... I've never heard such chilling laughter. Applejack's battalion is probably the easiest because all they care about is honesty. I learned that as long as I didn't lie and just told half truths I was fine.

"You met Rainbow Dash's boys... they keep ponies from leaving and hunt those of us that want no part in their new kingdom. I've been on the run since the Princesses were defeated, trying to rally up other ponies to form a rebellion. I've got a few but... we knew we needed you so I decided to go find you. But then the Rainbow Squad found me... well, here we are."

"How?" Twilight whispered, her entire body trembling in fear and outrage. "How could they do this?"

"I don't know, Twilight. Maybe it has something to do with Faith.. where is he, anyway?"

"Around," Twilight said vaguely. "Faith runs on little errands and disappears for days. He's always there if I really need him but... he's still a mystery." She shook her head. She could tell that the abstract had heard all that Shining had said through her connection with him and now the gray alicorn was racing back to Equestria.

"I hope he shows up soon. I don't know if he is connected to this or maybe there is a new enemy that is using your friends as puppets... I honestly don't know. You two are the last alicorns we got, though... you and Faith."

"Shining... what about Cadence?" Her brother looked away. "Shining?"

"I don't know. She was in the castle when they took over and I haven't seen her. I don't know if they as altered her or if they made her like Celestia and Luna..."

"Uh, guys!" Spike called out, ducking away from the window. "This is all real interesting but we need to go!"

"What is it, Spike?" Twilight asked, hurrying over to the window and slowly leaning out far enough that she could take a peak. "Shoot."

"What is it?" Shining said from the bed.

"We've got company. More of those guards that attacked you." Twilight refused to call them the Rainbow Squad; doing so would be admitting that her friends truly had become the monsters Shining painted them as. "Wait... some new pony is flying in."

"Describe her," Shining hissed.

"Color of an overripe tangerine... large wings... wearing silver armor... huh, it kinda looks like the armor Rarity made Rainbow Dash for the Grand Galloping Gala."

"We need to run, now." Shining struggled to get out of the bed, only for Twilight's magic to hold him fast. "Twilight!"

"What has you spooked? I dealt with those guards, didn't I?"

"She isn't a normal guard... your dealing with the commander of the Squad... Celestia help us..." he refused to speak more but from the wild panic in his eyes it was clear Shining Armor had dealt with this new arrival before... and it hadn't ended well.

"Who is she?" Spike asked.

"Rainbow Dash's Number 1 Fan."

Twilight looked back down at the tall, noble mare that was landing before the pegasi... and thought back to a similar pony, this one a small filly with a shock of purple hair who was always staring at Rainbow Dash with admiration.

"No..." Twilight whispered.

Shining closed his eyes once more in despair. "I told you they experimented on the fillies and colts."

"Shining Armor!" the armored mare called out. "I am Commander Scootaloo! You are wanted for attempting to destroy harmony and the crime of abandoning your country. Exit the hotel with your horn down and I promise we will not harm you." Scootaloo smiled and Twilight felt her blood run cold. "It is time you accepted harmony."

PreviousChapters Next