• Published 6th Nov 2012
  • 15,413 Views, 3,324 Comments

The Abundance - defender2222



Sequel to Faith and Doubt. Twilight must save Equestria from her friends who've become alicorns

  • ...
80
 3,324
 15,413

PreviousChapters Next
Rapid Eye Movement

"If these visions have offended, think but this and all is mended..."

-Puck, A Midsummer Night's Dream


It was such a strange day to be marching to war. Twilight had assumed that grand battles would bring forth rains and overcast skies and moonless nights. The atmosphere, to her at least, should be heavy and foreboding; there should be an oppressive sense, as if some giant hoof was being slowly lowered onto one's back. That is how all the stories describe it and books rarely lied to her.

But that isn't what she felt and wasn't what she saw. The sky was bright and sunny, the clouds fluffy and white and the grass had never looked greener. Were it not for her brother's grim face Twilight would have thought she was on an afternoon stroll to work off a well deserved lunch.

None of it felt right. To Twilight, it was as if she were starring in a play that had suddenly been altered without her knowledge. She had come to perform as Spear Shaker's Lady Blood Hooves only to find the rest of the cast was performing Discord's Night.

"You ok, Twiley?" Shining asked, bumping against her.

"Fine, just fine," Twilight murmured to herself. "I mean no... I'm not fine, because everything has gone mad but if one ignores that then I am perfectly fine."

"Save for the madness?" Shining teased.

"Exactly," Twilight said, trying to remain perky and failing hideously. "I'll... I'll just be glad when this is over."

"When what is over?" Pinkie Pie asked, bouncing along next to her.

"The war."

"There is a war?" Pinkie Pie said, brow furrowed.

"Of course, against-" Twilight let out a yelp and jumped away, aiming her horn at Pinkie. "How did you find us!?!"

The earth pony giggled. "I got a twitchy twitch that said you were back and I followed it here!" Pinkie happily began to circle Twilight, giggling. "Now, tell me about the war! Is it between the gerbils and the field rocks again? My grandma used to tell me about that one."

Twilight's wings flared out. "What kind of trick is this?"

"Uh... I don't know. What kind is it?" Pinkie asked, confused.

Twilight turned, only to find that her brother had fled, leaving her to face the pink mare all by herself. But as the alicorn of the stars stared down her friend she was surprised to find that Pinkie didn't look any different. There was no horn upon her head. No wings fluttering upon her back. No sign of Pinkie being any different. She looked like... Pinkie Pie.

"What is this?" Twilight demanded. "What kind of trick is this?"

"What are you talking about?" Pinkie asked, tilting her head in confusion. "I'm not trying to trick you. And if I was, I don't know what I would be tricking you about!"

"You... you're evil! You overthrew the Princess! You took over and you are brainwashing ponies! You... you..."

Pinkie burst into laughter, rolling around on the ground, giggling up a storm. Twilight just stared at her, mouth hanging open in shock at the sudden giggle fit that had taken her friend.

After several moments Pinkie managed to contain her laughter. She slowly stood up, wiping her eye with a hoof. "Wow... and everypony says I'm random!"

"But... you are just trying to trick me..."

"Come on, Twilight, get serious!" Pinkie giggled again and Twilight found herself smiling at the irony of the party pony telling her to be 'serious'. "Does it make any sense that I'd be evil? That me or Fluttershy could be bad?"

"I... but Shining..."

Pinkie blew a raspberry. "Wow, you are believing your brother?" Pinkie knocked on her friend's skull. "Uh, hello! No offense Twilight but your brother is kinda a ditz and can't tell the different between his wife and a bug... you think maybe he got mixed up?"

Twilight stared at Pinkie, her frazzled nerves settling down. "I... yeah... I guess he did..."

Pinkie nodded, wrapping a foreleg around Twilight and gently moving her off the path she had been walking. "Seriously, Twilight... who are you going to trust? Your friends or your brother and Doubt? Who's been there for you through good and bad? Who always has your back?"

"You girls," Twilight said as she allowed Pinkie to lead her down a new trail through the forest.

"See? Was that so hard? We are your friends and you should always stick by your friends!"

"Right," Twilight said with a grin.

"Hey, you know what would make you feel better?" Pinkie began to bounce and, with her foreleg around Twilight's neck, made the alicorn bounce too. "We should Pinkie Promise to be friends forever!"

"That sounds like a great idea!" Twilight said with a smile, eyes bright. "There is just one tiny little baby problem."

Pinkie pursed her lips. "What?"

"I'm not really Twilight. Sorry." With that, 'Twilight' bucked Pinkie into a tree. "Really now... is that the best you could do?"

"What? What are you-"

"Stop it," 'Twilight' said sternly, before her entire body began to twist and reshape itself into a gray ball of liquid metal. "The scene is over and the actors have taken their bow. You played your part well, my dear Queen Pinkie, but you failed to sell yourself to the most important audience of all." After several moments the liquid reformed into a pony... but one whose shape was definitely NOT Twilight's.

"Doubt!" Pinkie exclaimed. Her tone wasn't angry or fearful... it was the same tone one might have if they turned a corner and stumbled upon an old classmate they had not seen in years. Her own form flickered for a moment and she was revealed in her true form: a large dark pink alicorn with a mane of frizzy hair that was nearly as big as she was that kept shifting and taking on new shapes like a large cloud caught in the wind. An impossibly large grin stretched her face to the breaking point. Though she was smiling it was easy to hear that there was no joy in her laughter. "What are you doing here?"

"Again, it is Faith. I really don't know why none of you can remember that." The silver blob began to, of all things, pace about the forest. "I mean, it isn't like I am shy about it. I considered even writing it on the moon but with Luna still a touch sore about the whole Mare in the Moon thing I decided it wise not to press my luck."

"Well, Doubt is a cooler name," Twilight said from high above. The sky darkened and the stars that shone swirled before creating a constellation that resembled the purple alicorn. "I got to say, Pinkie, I'm a bit disappointed; you really must not think much of me if you thought you could sneak into my dreams without me realizing it." She shook her head when Pinkie opened her mouth. "Don't deny it. The fact that Spike isn't here is enough proof that this is all a dream. Shining too... yeah, you did a number on him, and we are going to talk about that, but he would never abandon me. So, this is obviously a dream, which is why Faith and I swapped. You were trying to worm your way into my head... not a smart move. Mental shields were something they covered in magical first grade."

Pinkie looked up at Twilight, her smile still huge and her eyes vainly attempting to hide all her other emotions. "Wow Twilight, you sure are big and stuff! Imagine what we could do if we joined forces!"

"I have. Step down as a queen and help me save the others," Constellation Twilight said.

Pinkie giggled but the sound brought no joy to those that heard it. "Aw, you know I can't do that! I am spreading fun and sunshine and rainbows all over Equestria! This whole country is one big party and you are the grumpy next door neighbor that wants me to turn down the music. And I have to turn that frown upside-down!"

The liquid metal that represented Faith swelled up till it rivaled Twilight in size. The two massive alicorns stared down at the tiny Pinkie, who merely chortled at their ridiculous size. "It is clear we are not going to settle our differences here... will you at least answer a question or two?"

Pinkie clapped her hooves. "Of course! It can be a game! I ask a question and you ask a question!"

"How did you become an alicorn?" Faith questioned.

The pink alicorn raised an eyebrow. "You get right to the point, don't you? Well, okie dokie... I had help."

Twilight frowned. "From-"

Pinkie wagged her head. "Nah uh... my turn to ask the question! Where is the base full of those mean little rebels that want to ruin my fun."

"Equestria," Faith said simply, the metal twisting to form a smirk.

Pinkie's mood soured, even as her smile remained. "That's not fair!"

"Those are the rules of the game. Nothing said I had to give you the answer you wanted."

Twilight nodded. "Who made you an alicorn?"

"My new friend. See, I can do it too!" Pinkie stuck out her tongue and bugged out her eyes. "Where in Equestria is the rebel base?"

"On a patch of dirt big enough to fit it," Faith said casually. "What is the name of your new friend who made you an alicorn?"

"You know the name."

"That isn't an answer," Twilight snapped.

"Nothing in the rules said I had to answer honestly, did they?" Pinkie taunted. She turned on her heels and began to bounce away. "You'll meet my new buddy soon enough, and then all of us will have a party and have roasted Doubt for dinner."

A metal hoof slammed in front of Pinkie, nearly crushing her.

"You have tried to violate Twilight's mind... if you or your queens try this again I will not be held accountable for my actions."

Pinkie flashed Faith a feral grin. "Twilight won't let you hurt us."

"There are many ways to torture that don't leave marks," Faith whispered for only her to hear. "And there are worse things than death, my dear... I should know." Pinkie, still smiling if not as large, turned away and the dream shattered upon itself.

The next thing Twilight knew she was waking up with a gasp, Spike and Shining Armor hurrying over and helping ease her up.

"You ok, Twilight?" Spike asked. "You were muttering in your sleep."

"I'm fine, Spike... Pinkie and I just had a very confusing chat."

Shining frowned. "Does she know-"

"No. I let Faith muddle up everything. He's really good at that... I'm confused and I know what he was hinting at. She got nothing." She looked around, befuddled. "Where is Faith?"

"He stalked off right before you woke up. Said something about needing to do some investigating and he would check in later." Shining licked his lips, looking up at the dreary early morning sky. Night had not yet quite ended and the day was not quite begun. It was a time of contrasts and transition; he wished for the silver alicorn to be around if only because Faith seemed to thrive in such conditions.

"If I didn't know any better I'd say you missed him!" Twilight teased. "Are you sure the queens haven't pumped you full of harmony?"

"What?" Shining asked, brow screwed up.

Spike chuckled. "Just kinda surprising. You weren't exactly Faith's biggest supporter."

"Back when he was Doubt and he had you convinced the best way to deal with me was to slam me into a stain glass window? Yeah, I wasn't very fond of him. But he's different now and I am a big enough pony to forgive and forget."

The smile left Twilight's face and she awkwardly scuffed at the ground. "Shiny... I am so sorry about how I treated you-"

"And I am sorry for how I treated you," Shining said softly. "We both screwed up, Twiley, so there is no reason for us to beat ourselves up over it. Forgive and forget."

"Forgive and remember," Spike said. "Otherwise you never learn."

"Someone has been hanging around Faith a bit too much," Twilight said, causing Spike to huff in annoyance.

The morning, unlike her dream, was dark and overcast, with a heavy fog in the air and a heavier foreboding feel. That comforted Twilight, despite the oppressive feel, as strange at it was. The tree they had slept under was heavy with morning dew and the grass slick with dew. The sun had not risen and even when it did there was little chance its rays would pierce through the heavy clouds.

"They still can't control the weather in the Everfree," Shining said, looking up at the sky.

"There is magic here," Twilight murmured, rising up. "I can feel it in my bones. It is old magic... very old. I think it was here before ponies came to Equestria." She shut her eyes, only to snap them open and reveal one was white and the other black. "Yes," she whispered, more to herself than the others, "very old magic."

"Should we be worried?" Spike asked.

"No. It isn't evil just... it is hard to describe. I'd almost call it playful... teasing." Twilight scanned the area, her wings fluttering as she did so. "Its like there are a thousand voices speaking but they are talking so softly that I can't understand the words."

Spike raised an eyebrow at this. "Sounds kinda spooky, Twilight."

"It is... and it isn't." Twilight took several steps away from them, as if she were being dragged into the underbrush by an unseen hand. "The magic... I know I've felt it before... or something similar..."

"Twilight... could you maybe stop looking at the spooky trees? Kinda creeping me out," Shining said, walking up to his sister.

"Celestia and Luna selected this forest because of the power," Twilight stated, as if she were lecturing a graduate class. "Nightmare Moon was born here... the elements were stored here... Discord wandered beneath these trees and felt no need to alter them. It's old... it's been waiting for a long time-"

"Twilight!" Shining exclaimed, pressing his horn against his sister's. All at once her eyes returned to their normal color and the magic that had been oozing from her horn flared out like the dying of a stove's flame. Twilight looked at her brother and for a moment it was as if she could not remember his face. "Twilight..."

"Shining... what..."

"You were disappearing, Twilight," Shining said, pointing to her flank. Twilight looked down and saw, to her shock, that bits of her back legs were transparent, though they seemed to be returning to a solid form even as she stared at them. "What the hay was that?"

"I don't know," Twilight whispered, no longer looking upon the Everfree with the reverence she once had. "Something... something was calling me... it was like mom was yelling that dinner was ready and I needed to come inside."

"Ooooookay," Spike said, giving Twilight a bemused look that was tempered with worry. "Could you try not doing that again?"

"Yeah," Twilight said, taking several deep breaths. "Yeah, don't think I'll do that again."

Shining looked upon the dark underbrush with a new sense of foreboding. "The queens have been showing an interest in the Everfree... I thought they were looking for us..."

The alicorn of the stars cut off his next comment. "Let's cross that bridge when we have to. I think we have enough on our plate without adding 'creepy magic forest that tried to kidnap Twilight' to the list."

Shining nodded. "Yeah... come on, the hideout is about an hour away."

The party of three continued on their way, though Twilight couldn't help but feel as if she were on stage... and a thousand eyes were suddenly staring at her, waiting for her next line.

PreviousChapters Next