• Published 6th Nov 2012
  • 15,425 Views, 3,324 Comments

The Abundance - defender2222



Sequel to Faith and Doubt. Twilight must save Equestria from her friends who've become alicorns

  • ...
80
 3,324
 15,425

PreviousChapters Next
Honesty

“If you do not tell the truth about yourself you cannot tell it about other people.”

-Virgina Woolf


Flam shook his head, reaching up to rub his temples. It felt as if he had gone three rounds with Iron Will then smashed his head against a wall for an hour.

"Are you quite alright, brother?" Flim asked, glancing nervously over at his closest friend in the whole world and the only blood relative he really cared about. If he were honest with himself, he was worried about Flam. He had found him gathered around a bunch of other ponies, grumbling about the rebellion not showing Faith respect; their words had been rather… mutinous… and it had shocked Flim just how angry his brother had been with Twilight, Shining and the rest. It had taken him several minutes to convince his brother to take a walk with him, finally managing to play on Flam's pride in the airship and asking him to give him a tour of the wondrous invention.

"Quite fine, brother," Flam said, blinking his eyes. "I just feel a bit out of it... it has been a tiring few days and I am worried about Faith."

"Yes, Faith," Flim said neutrally. "I have been meaning to discuss him with you."

"Oh?" Flam asked.

"Yes... there are rumors he has declared himself your king. Is this true?"

"No, they are not," Flam stated. "We declared him our king."

Flim hid his frown. He didn't say it, but it concerned him that Flam would go along with declaring Faith a king. Not just because his brother had never held any real interest in serving another... they traveled on the road and were their own bosses for that exact reason. It went against Flam’s nature to want to tether himself to another. Work with Faith, yes… but make him his king?

No, what was more troublesome was that Flim knew from Twilight and Spike's stories that Faith would never want to be a king. Princess Celestia had confirmed as much, joking about how Faith had refused to be knighted because he found such a thing quite silly; it had been the first time such a thing had happened and thankfully Faith had left with Twilight before he could catch much flak from the noble elite. Flim had felt that Faith was much like him and his brother: a free spirit who desired not just the freedom of not being ruled but the freedom of not having to rule others. Heavy was the head that wore the crown and Faith clearly had enough weight pressing down on him. Friends were alright, even close friends that were more like family... but never subjects. Never slaves.

“Our King…” Flam groaned, leaning his head against the side of inner hull of The Abundance. "Though, now that I say the words... it just seems so silly. None of us ever discussed it, but when we saw that Twilight Sparkle insulting Faith it... it just burned me up so much. Faith did so much for us, saving us and leading us and-"

Flim grabbed his brother's face, twisting it towards him and staring him in the eye. "Don't blink."

"What?"

"Don't blink and answer me this question: how do you feel about me, right now?"

"Well...I... I think of you as my brother and my friend." Flam smiled. "My best friend and my loving brother. I would do anything for you; you must know that and I know you feel the same. You and I, thick as thieves and out against the world-"

Flim swallowed nervously. "Your eyes went gold."

"What?"

"Your eyes are gold," Flim repeated, it feeling like there was a pound of ice in his stomach. He watched as the gold flakes that had appeared in his brother's eyes flashed and flickered before going dark. "That... isn't good."

“What does it mean?”

“I have no idea, brother… but we need to find one of the alicorns, now.”

~MC~MC~MC~

Faith shifted, his eyes trying to adjust to the darkness of the room. He felt constrained and restricted, fighting against something that held him in place. For a moment his fear won out and he began to thrash, trying to escape whatever prison he was now confined to.

"Relax," Honesty said softly, flicking on a light to reveal that they were still in the captain's cabin. Faith pained, his heart beating too fast for him to be annoyed at his childish actions. "I merely wanted you to get your rest... you were emotionally drained and needed a few minutes of sleep. You have not slept long, baby brother, but perhaps it is just enough."

Even though it was very comfy, having his brother there made Faith want to struggle against the comforter that had him wrapped up. He was over 2000 years old and despite how his brother made him feel like a foal he refused to act like one. He knew he was being coddled and it rubbed his silver hide the wrong way. Instead, he gingerly sat up, his wings flexing as he looked upon Honesty in his physical form.

The eldest of the elements of harmony was large, both in sense of size, scale and personality. His hide made him look as if he had been forged from superheated steel. His wings were made of the finest wood, polished to a fine sheen and carved so that every feather had microscopic detail. Deep roots dug from those woody feathered appendages, burrowing into his back. His dark hair was long and he wore it in a tight ponytail that all at once made him look both dashing and down to earth.

It was his persona that drew Faith in. Honesty was exactly how Faith remembered him: larger than life. Even whispering his voice rumbled and made Faith feel like he was caught in an earthquake. When he smiled it was like being out on the most pleasant of spring days. A frown, however, was to be caught in a winter storm. Of them all… only Honesty could truly make the cocky Faith feel small, like he was a foal once more.

It was so strange… until that moment Faith had never seen any of his siblings as anything more than shapeless things… actually he had never seen them at all. Abstracts had all sorts of wonderful senses living creates lacked, including the ability to sense each other. Abstracts, in their own plane (and even after all this time he still didn’t quite know what that plane was… the curse of being abandoned when he was basically a foal) held no physical form. One could sense and hear them, but there was no real form to see because there was nothing to see. They were shapeless things.

And yet… and yet when Faith had first taken form in Twilight’s house, he had known he wasn’t himself. The black coat and the shattered wings were grand but not fitting of him. It was only when he was reborn as Faith, his name and duties reclaimed, that he had looked upon his silver body and white mirror wings and known that this was HIM. Twilight and Spike had said the same thing, admitting that they found it so hard to think of his ‘Doubt’ form as being him, as his ‘Faith’ body just fit him so much better.

The same was true with Honesty. Everything just fit and worked. There was never a question in his mind that, looking at this alicorn stallion, this was his brother, the embodiment of honesty and truth.

"What... what are you doing here?" Faith said softly, swallowing.

Honesty sighed at the guarded tone his brother took. "I can't blame you for being distrustful; Creator knows I deserve it. I was a stubborn jackass and you suffered greatly for it." He paused, considering his words, knowing that the wrong thing could set Faith off. Faith, despite what some might think, did have a temper and he had proven himself willing to kill family. "And yet... had I took you back home things might have ended all the worse."

Faith rolled his shoulders. "I don't know about that..."

"Yes you do," Honesty said sternly, brokering no debate. "Just look at what Loyalty became." Faith winced at that and Honesty was quick to comfort him. "You do not believe it now but you did him a favor."

"I killed him... how can you think for a moment that is a good thing?" Faith asked bitterly.

"I do not think, I know. Had you not acted when you did Loyalty would have died anyway... and been reborn into some terrible new abstract. Think of all that he thought about you… that we, I am ashamed to say, thought of you. All of those things, such terrible lies now that I look upon you with clear eyes, would have come to pass for Loyalty. He would have fallen and he would have been darker and more wicked than you ever were. For all you did you kept your honor and worked to do just as much good as you did evil. The same would not have been true of Loyalty… we both know this. You prevented his fall and saved the life of another abstract."

Faith shook his head, feeling utterly miserable. "He could have been saved like I was!"

"Brother, end this self hatred. To be saved one has to want to be helped. Have you ever known our brother, even in the best of times, to ask for help?”

The silver abstract rolled his eyes at that. “If Loyalty was loyal to anything, it was his stubborn pride.”

“Though he would never admit to that,” Honesty stated. “No… Loyalty would have never backed down. He would have only kept going down that path, loyal to his ever darkening goals. You were different from him, baby brother… you were better than him.” His horn glowed and he pulled over some apples that had been left by Faith’s bed, cutting it up into neat little slices before he sent it floating towards Faith. The mirror alicorn scowled but did as he was silently commanded, taking a bit of the treat while his brother prepared another slice. “I think back at all the comments and beliefs we had about abstracts and I am so ashamed…”

Faith raised an eyebrow. “Ashamed, brother?”

“Yes, ashamed.” Honesty sighed. “And many other things. It is clear that we abstracts did not so much have one emotion as we chose to only focus on one while ignoring all others. Are you shocked to hear that? Not as shocked as when I realized it. It was like awakening from a dream to find that what I had thought was so pleasant was a nightmare. I sit here now and look back at who I was only a month ago and I hate it and I am happy because I know I will never be that stallion again.”

“How did you come to realize all of this, brother?” Faith asked. “What changed… why do you come to me like this, feeding me apple slices and treating me like a babe again?” He flexed his wings in agitation and Honesty hid a smirk; his brother’s tone reminded him so much of Faith’s first few months of existence, so moody and independent. “What made you go from tricking Applejack into becoming one of the queens to coming in here acting like my kind big brother?”

Honesty let out a sigh, the weight of his many, many years placed fully upon his shoulders. “What am I, brother?” Faith opened his mouth to speak, but the red abstract cut him off. “I am the truth… the honest truth. I am the cold, harsh reality of the world. I am the spark of legitimacy that drives away the falsehoods that hold others down. I tell the delusional that they must strive for things a bit… closer to home; I speak to those that believe themselves worthless and tell them that they can do so much more and can strive for so much more. Am I cruel? Of course… honesty can be very cruel in the wrong hands… but it can also be the most wonderful thing. Honesty can break spirits but it can also admit true love and friendship.” Honesty managed a smile. “I hope, as time goes on and I earn your trust, you and I will have a chance to work together; it is clear that we are more alike than I ever believed. Honesty and Faith are a powerful combination.”

“That does not answer my question, brother.”

“I am honesty given flesh. I see the truth… even in my own actions.” The ruby alicorn’s shoulders slumped. “But you deserve to hear it all… hear how I came to see the truth and the error of my ways… thanks to the Apple Family.”

~MC~MC~MC~

“Ok, ok, stop shoving!” Trixie complained. She had gone to get something to eat, having finally left Faith’s side only after he had told her to do so for seven times. She had stuck by him since the rebellion had arrived, fearing that the cruel words of Twilight Sparkle and the rest would break Faith’s heart and leave him a shell. She had already seen the damage that horrid purple alicorn had done and she refused to let Twilight do any more.

She did not notice the flecks of golden that shimmered in her eyes as she thought this.

But then, after her second cup of broth, Princess Luna had entered, her form restored and with it her powers, and instantly thrown her weight around by picking Trixie up and shoving her out the door. The blue mare had held her tongue, stopping herself from saying some of the nastier comments that begged to be spoken. That didn’t mean, of course, that she wasn’t going quiet.

“There, we have arrived,” Luna said, throwing the door open.

“And what was-“ Trixie froze when she saw Princess Celestia standing there with an equally annoyed Twilight.

“We need to talk about Faith,” Celestia said as Luna locked the door behind her.

PreviousChapters Next